Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1598121209105.png

Crazy windy at times. trying to get back into longer mileages but knees found it hard today. Once I can work out how to put my bike on the trainer I have had for a week now hopefully the fitness will return (yes, I am that useless!).

AndreaJ

Veteran
It’s still windy here but I decided it was just about within the limits of what I will go out in, I will commute in most weather as it’s not far to go but it’s not much fun getting blown around the roads if I don’t need to. I set off into the wind to Northwood, Bettisfield, Breadon Heath, Welshampton, Lyneal going down a lane which for some reason I’ve never been down passing a cafe at a farm which I didn’t know was there through some woods to Pikes End decided to carry on round Colemere back to Lyneal, Brown Heath, English Frankton, Loppington where the wind helped me along nicely all the way home. Didn’t get rained on today and only a few side wind moments. 21.9 miles @15.3mph. Picture from Brown Heath, quite a few fields of sunflowers around but unfortunately they are facing the wrong way, I think they naturally face east for the sunrise, but they look cheerful anyway.
65950D78-0BA5-42C6-8E5E-12C29D2B84C9.jpeg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
After an upliftingly productive afternoon of cycling tasks in generally lovely weather it would have been rude not to. I came so close to taking the road bike out, but after a whole pizza and a good dose of Ben and Jerry's I felt less of a need for speed and more a hunger to meander, so took the CdF. Again.

Before leaving I swapped the pedals over between the two bikes in an effort to rule them out as the cause of the creaking under load I'm getting on the CdF; sadly it sounded much the same heading up the hill away from the house..

With a nice Psybient soundtrack in my ears I headed out towards Cumnor then hung a left down Chiswell Lane; it wasn't long before there was a fat grin on my face as I weaved across the full width of the track, chasing the best line over the rough, chalky terrain. Worries about creaks were lost to my earphones; replaced by the luxurious, buttery smoothness of my freshly waxed drivetrain.

Powering up the last hill I emerged near Boar's HIll and dived into Bagley woods; popping out the headphones to better enjoy the tranquility of the wind in the trees and the soft crackling of the mulch beneath my wheels. I ended up on a path running along the back of some houses; having to repeatedly stop to move some large-ish branches out of the way. My suspicions about their source were partially confirmed by some old woman ranting at me from a distant garden about cycling along the path... fair point; I won't be doing it again as it was pretty narrow (so no fun and not fair on pedestrians; of which tonight there were thankfully none) but I was none-the-wiser at the time and it pleases me to think of my busybody critic indignantly dragging all those branches across the path again :laugh:

The illegitimacy of my passage was confirmed when I got to the other end of the path to find a very restrictive gate; meaning I had to haul the bike over a maybe 5ft high fence.. no big deal though as it now feels like a featherweight after lugging the 15kg Raleigh around :tongue:

I was confused to pop out literally yards from where I'd entered the woods so had another crack and eventually found my way to an exit that heads out towards Sunningwell; actually venturing into this village for the first time ever I think!

Thanks to the clouds the light was starting to fade and I'd left the tail light on another bike so started heading home; round the top of Abingdon, back through Radley and along NCN5 as usual. Despite my sedate beginnings I could really feel the energy provided by my earlier carb binge and the speed and effort gradually got ramped up until I was really pressing on as I headed away from Abingdon.

The bike and tow paths were reasonably populated but largely managable; this three mile stretch being covered at an average speed of 19mph and 170bpm / about 85-90% max over a period of about 10 minutes, which is a big effort for me and saw me arriving at Folly Bridge in town a gasping, sweaty mess :tongue:

I took it steady through town and home; again still finding a lot more energy to climb the hill home than usual thanks to my significant late lunch. On the way up the last hill I did pop out the earphones again and could hear no creaking from the bottom of the bike which has given me some hope; so I'll continue running these pedals for now and see how they go.

Ultimately a relatively short but thoroughly enjoyable ride at a shade under 19 miles and 600ft at 14.5mph and 137bpm for around 850kcal burned. It also yielded 20 Strava PR's and two top-10 leaderboard placings (not sure as I've had one of those before!) however it's bloody typical for the duration of my free trial I really lost my mojo and couldn't care less about speed; I get it back today literally the day after the free trial expired :laugh:

Ne mind, a great ride all the same and I hope some of my fellow CC'ers managed to get out in the glorious weather; I notice this threads gone a bit quiet since the halcyon days of lockdown as the horrors of the real world are once-more forced upon us..

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Back on my local patch yesterday for a short 14 miler in the flatlands.

Reach Lode from the cyclists’ bridge.

We don’t have any hills here but the wind makes up for it.

I must have been away when the earthquake struck!

I wouldn’t like to trap a wheel in that.

White Fen. I’m lucky to have a decent network of v quiet or totally car free routes like this one on my doorstep.

i often talk to wildlife on rides and wished a stopover female wheatear close to a bench I was sat on, safe passage and told her I’d see her back here next year. I have set up a hot date with a wheatear. Losing it, I really am.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

It was a nice sunny morning but I was a bit slow getting up and about so I cleaned and oiled the chain on the knockabout bike (despite having "help" from Idris) and took it out after lunch. The route was mostly a repeat of what I did last time out (Oaks, Pulverbatch, Wilderley, Dudgeley, Longnor, Condover) so that I'd have the blustery wind helping later on, but I did vary it a bit by approaching Oaks from the Plealey side.

Starting off, there were some dark clouds about which didn't fit in with the forecast I'd seen but I decided to risk it anyway. Some rain was blowing about in the wind as I climbed up Lyth Hill and from the top the showers looked quite impressive as they rolled across the countryside. I had a good headwind to work against on the way to Plealey but the climb up to Oaks was relatively sheltered which is good as it's steeper approaching from this side. A bit more rain fell but wasn't heavy or long lasting enough to consider getting the waterproofs out.

A tailwind on the descent out of Pulverbatch meant that I was keeping pace with a camper van before my turning for Wilderley. By Wilderley Hall I could see that I was unlikely to dodge the next shower and the rain started as I reached Wilderley Croft. Fortunately, the road dips into a heavily wooded little valley which gave some shelter while I donned my waterproofs - which were needed as I emerged into heavy rain.

The rain had eased again by the Leebotwood area and the sun was breaking through, making it a bit warm for the waterproof gear but I was reluctant to take it off again as there were more showers still about. Undoing the jacket and letting it flap about was the compromise as I headed through Hollyhurst and I was just thinking I might be able to take it off at Longnor when I ran into the next shower which was something of a deluge. The sun came out again on the way to Ryton and I finally risked stopping in a gateway to take the jacket off but it looked like I'd be in a race to get home in the dry.

As hoped I did have the wind helping me back through Condover and up to the main road where the wait for a gap in the traffic was frustrating. Apparently it hadn't done much more than drizzle at home.:rolleyes:

27.2 miles at 12.3 mph average. Damp but enjoyable.

Only a glimpse of the Stretton hills from Lyth Hill this time.

Near Annscroft the flag illustrates that it's a tad breezy.

Between Wilderley and Smethcott.

The sun has come out near Dudgeley and I'm boiling in the bag. Can't win.:laugh:

Crossing the railway (and shortly to cross the A49). Sunny here but look what I'm going to be riding in to.

A more clement view from Ryton.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Some great rides and pics again folks - and epic efforts from @Mark pallister and @cyberknight :becool:

Today's ride was considerably less epic on my part.. went out for a half-arsed semi-utility ride on the Raleigh; dragging it out just as a shower hit so waited; watching from the doorway as the storm travelled over the city in the distance and leaving that wonderful fresh earthy scent in its wake.

Down into town and along NCN5 to Sandford, which has pretty much become my default "short, non-commital" route - a round trip of about 15 miles. A bit rinsed and achey after yesterday's exertion and a crap night's sleep so took it steady. Rode back through town (which is pretty much back to its normal, ruinous state; chock-full of consumptive hoards with many roads rammed with static traffic). Got told off for cycling at walking pace down Cornmarket street (a wide pedestrianised street, for non-locals).. wish they'd pay some dickheads to berrate all the muppet pedestrians walking in the city's cycle lanes :rolleyes:

Came home via the Co-op and a significant bargain led / comfort-driven purchase of pizza, ice cream, reduced sandwiches and beer (forgot the bloody butter again:blush:).. I intend to spend the rest of the day goading diabetes from the sanctuary of the sofa...

On the up-side the freshly-waxed chain on the bike didn't (literally) skip a beat this time (even when grinding up the steep hill home in a relatively high 40/20 gear) so thankfully it looks like this was down to stiff links rather than wear; which is a welcome relief.

EDIT: After misery-smashing my way through much of the munchie food I'd bought, I fancied some crisps last night, so headed off for the local Tesco Express that "shuts at 11" according to their webshite. Turns out this evidently wasn't the case so it was into town to wonder the streets for an alternative.

The Sainsburys on Frideswide square was still open so I stopped there before continuing on an evening mooch of around another 15 miles; which was so much more pleasant than the earlier excursion thanks to the lack of people and traffic. Autumn could definitely be felt in the air and my hands were a little chilly at first but I was fine once warmed up.

That's 130 miles (of casual pootling and utility riding) done on the Raleigh since I installed the speedo 11 days ago; no wonder the Genesis isn't seeing so much action!

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Got out to the Lyth Valley today, a lovely route up toward Windermere. It is well known for its damsons and country pubs. Was a bit breezy and showery. Managed 54 miles with 1200m of up. Lots of water in the rivers but no flooding after the wind and high tides this week. Pictures show the River Kent and Crossthwaite church. Negotiated lunch at Sizergh Castle which was in full Covid protection mode. Minor roads covered in cow s*** so not looking forward to cleaning the bike!

Old jon

Guru
Five of us met in the pub car park this morning, there was also blue sky visible, but you had to look hard to see it. Weather is wonderful stuff.

We pedalled off along Wike Ridge Lane, turned onto Tarn Lane and after Scarcroft climbed to Milner Lane. A couple more junctions took us to Bramham, which I am fairly sure we left on Toulston Lane in the direction of Tadcaster. A ride across the Wharfe on the bridge there, towards the A 64. Which still has the cycle path at the side of it. A short distance along we turned off, Catterton maybe, and Bilborough. And then a little more of the same bike track to the Solar Way.

Turn south, ride to Riccall, then through Kelfield and find the B1222 to Cawood. Cross the Ouse there and turn right to travel to Ryther. Church Fenton is next, what surprised me is the area that place covers, quite a distance between ‘Welcome to Church Fenton’ and passing the railway station.

And then the ride reaches more familiar ground for me. Barkston Ash, and a choice of roads to go to Saxton. Leave there past the cricket club. This leads to the top of Cold Hill and the right turn. To the gates at Lotherton Hall. Well, my bike knows the way now, all I have to do is pedal some more. Aberford, and the right and left to be on Cattle Lane, on through Barwick in Elmet. Scholes and the dash along the A 64 to Thorner Lane.

Reach the A 58 via Skeltons Lane, the brisk descent on the way to the Oakwood Clock. Easy now, back across the River Aire and through the bit of Hunslet on the way to home. Front door in sight, grin on mug for sixty six miles in good company, oh, and a long way up as well, better than 2300 feet. Almost all of that on the left hand side of the map.

The aforementioned map

23082020.jpg

with the elevation thingy . . .

2308elev.jpg

Failed to make a metric Ton today, again, but on the plus side I did manage to get a longish tour into the Black Forest, and saw some extremely interesting and beautiful places, most of which I also failed to take decent pictures of:

2020_08_23_Oner_Prechtal_99.JPG

Essentially I went up the Elz valley into the forest, and then a bit further into the Prech valley, which essentially meant climbing 500 or so metres in just over 40k. What with taking pictures, getting distracted and missing the odd turning this took about four hours.

Then it started to rain so I had to come bombing back down again, and I arrived back in my own village at 2:30pm...

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Eldest son has been embarrassed by youngest doing an imperial century recently, so felt the imperative to equal the feat.

Which is fine, except he decided the route should be one a very fit and ultra skinny mate of mine put on Strava.

So off we go, an 8am start a minor miracle in itself.

The route can best be described as an exploration of the minor back roads of the Peak District and is brutal, scenic, masochistic and brutal. Did I mention it's brutal?

Without posting every gory detail, those who know the area will recognise some highlights.

First, Macclesfield Forest to Standing Stone. Then Pym Chair, Eccles Pike, and the near vertical undulating back road to Sparrowpit.

Next down Edale to Hope, and the back roads above Bamford and Hathersage. Thence to Abney, upperdale, Cressbrook, Tideswell, Doveholes, Coombes, that bastard climb out of Coombes, Long Hill, Goyt Valley, Cat and Fiddle, home.

Made somewhat more challenging by the pissing rain after lunch and stiff breeze.

100 miles, 11.6 mph, 3,500m climbing. Probably my slowest century, but with good reason!

An epic day out, and rather proud of the determination and good spirits of my 20yo.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just as I was about to leave the house this morning, I dropped it on my still half asleep wife that I was considering adding 25 miles to the end of our already long 75 mile club ride to get another 100 miler in before I turn 60. I believe her one word, mumbled response was "inexplicable!" before she fell soundly asleep again. She really doesn't get distance cycling.

A great little group of us completed @KingswayRider 's excellent route out to Pershore and Croome Park and back via Upton on Severn and Hartpury in almost exactly 7 hours, including quite a long stop at a riverside pub in Upton:

The thought that @KingswayRider might be trying to kill me did cross my mind as we hit a vicious little hill called the Woolridge just after Hartpury at (for me) the 65 mile point. I surprised myself by getting up it with no problems, and had time to get a shot of the three ladies arriving at a pull-in just after the top of the climb:

It was quite a day of achievements for our little group as Tina (centre, above) completed an imperial century afterwards, having put in 15 miles before the start, and with @KingswayRider doing a magnificent double metric century. I believe Alex (left in the top picture) also completed an imperial ton afterwards. For my part, when I arrived back in Kingsway, although I ached in several places and hurt in several more, I actually felt fresher than I'd ever felt before after 75 miles. If I was ever going to go for my second ever imperial ton, there was never a better time for it, so I took my time and ground my way out to Arlingham and back, arriving at my doorstep 9 hours and 7 minutes after leaving home. 100.3 miles done nearly an hour faster than my first time, four years ago.

Turns out there is life in the old dog yet. But man, will I ache tomorrow.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Extracted the Defy from its slumbers this morning for a c 9am outing which, with dull skys and cool breeze resulted in a long sleeve water resistant jersey and thin leg warmers being donned. North on the A61 with four PRs acquired, including the climb at Wormald Green, and then along the full length of the Ripon bypass which encompasses use of a former railway bridge over the River Skell

Hutton Bank transpired to be less of climb that trips up in a car had implied. Turned off at the top through Hutton Conyers to Wath, where presumably VE Day bunting was still evident

Then very narrow lanes including one grassing over in the centre, via Middleton Quernhow, to join the A6055 paralleling the A1(M) pass the Heck sausage factory

Under the A1(M) and onto an lane marked as being unsuitable for HGVs, which ended at a T junction on the edge of Sinderby. Beyond which lay the rides first keyboard village objective, the “P” of Pickhill, a village that has grown into a semi circle and I ended up back where I turned in.

Back through Sinderby to the next keyboard village, the “A” of Ainderby Quernhow

Thereafter noticed the Wahoo had a blank screen, flip; sure I had checked the battery level in the week. Strava on the mobile activated. Fortunately I knew I where I was going initially and a left turn onto, a more distant than normally cycled part of, the A61 brought me to a single carriageway bridge over the River Swale

and immediately beyond the “S” of Skipton on Swale

Turned onto another narrow lane through Catton to Topcliffe where I paused on a bench to look at the keyboard on the phone for where was next – D, er….um… ah! The shortest way to “D” would be along the A168 but this bit of the A168 is the almost motorway like link from the A1(M) to the A19 to Teeside.So instead pass Queen Marys School, which as a bit of a dodge had started the keyboard challenge, and through Rainton in order to head south; actually making use of a cycleway pass a roundabout as for once it was a noticeably shorter distance between two points I actually wanted to go between, to the “D” of Dishforth.

Many decades ago it was on the Great North Road but is now a dead end village; the road southwards having been cut by Dishforth Airfield, the latter now unused for flying purposes. A U turn then and south on the more cycle friendly A168 and B6265 to Boroughbridge where I paused in the park by the weir; the river was running was fast but also had large quantities of white foam in it. The sun had appeared briefly and I had intended to take the leg warmers off but it had returned overcast conditions. A slow exit from Boroughbridge distanced behind another cyclist who did not seem keen to return quickly to Wetherby, judged by the club name on his jersey. Then took the original A6055 to Knaresborough with a couple of PRs along the way and by default the “F” of Ferrensby, in triplicate!

Entering Knaresborough the sun was out but now it seemed pointless to faff around with the leg warmers now, and it soon clouded over again. Up the hill away from the river on the A59 somewhat slower than I did on the ebike in the week and along Bilton Lane, the Defy just fits through the anti motorcycle barrier without having to do a handlebar shuffle and as the TTLs had gone a typical route home with circa 50.34 miles cycled;
23.09 miles @ 15.5mph avg 741 ft climbed
0.15 miles (approx.) unrecorded
27.10 miles @ 13.1mph avg 1182ft climbed

Last edited:
Top Bottom