Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
The route of the Fred Whitton, in glorious autumn sunshine, with #1 son and a couple of others. Amazing, awesome day. Now...

So tired.

Must. Eat.

Must. Sleep.

Make the pain stop!

View attachment 548067

View attachment 548068

View attachment 548069

View attachment 548070

View attachment 548071

View attachment 548072

Fourth picture down is that the Honistor pass as you go past the slate mines.Last time I traveled that was on my B M W motorcycle.That was the year of the foot and mouth outbreak.Idid several of the passes.The roads were abnormally devoid of traffic.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Still enjoyed my spin out today but had to abandon my ride after a broken spoke, the rear wheel remained pretty true so was able to cycle home. Was really looking forward to a cafe stop in Boroughbridge. 21.8 miles with an average of 15.2mph.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Back on local roads today Did a 50 mile loop out to Ashby Foevile and Saxileby and an interesting comparison with last Tuesday ride in Derbyshire which was basically the same distance . Todays elevation 2011ft ,Tuesday 5010ft same distance 3000ft more of elevation ,speed today 16.4 mph ,Tuesday 13.3 mph average power of both rides was within 5 watts just shows how much terrain effects your rides

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Club ride day again. Followed up a mid-week 38 miler with another 39 miles today. Great company, but wonder how long we will be allowed to carry on? Up to Minchinhampton via Hyde Hill (near Chalford) and out to the Ruskin Mill in Nailsworth via a descent of the Devil's Elbow. Another great ride. Had to stop to get my breath back a couple of times (Hyde Hill, and then again near Woodchester) and even pushed for a few yards. Starting to feel my age. Loved it though.
Cheers. Donger.

ianbarton

Veteran
Stats for the 4 days 130 miles ,12179ft of upness ,2 of Simon Warren's 100 climbs Monsall head and the Riber ,3 more of his Midlands list Manners Wood ,Beeley Moor and Ilam moor . If you don't mind climbing you will love this area . Quite roads and we'll behaved traffic. I was very near a working quarry with lots of tipper trucks ,no incidents with these over the 4 ride ever pass was nice and wide and they waited on the climbs
I lived in Tideswell for several years and Monsal Head in both directions was one of my favourite rides. If you go up the steepest way there is a cafe and pub at the top to provide inspiration. The only downside with Tideswell is it's about 1000ft above sea level, so all rides ended with a steep climb back home.

13 rider

Guru
I lived in Tideswell for several years and Monsal Head in both directions was one of my favourite rides. If you go up the steepest way there is a cafe and pub at the top to provide inspiration. The only downside with Tideswell is it's about 1000ft above sea level, so all rides ended with a steep climb back home.
I presume I came up the steep way as it was 16% I came up from Cressbrook . I had a prearranged picnic set up in the car park ^_^. I stayed at Aldwark which was at 1100ft on top of a ridge so which ever way home was up

C R

Guru
First ride setting off before sunrise since last spring today. Aim was to follow the route I was meaning to take last Sunday, hoping that the wind stayed as forecast on Saturday, as it had been varying a bit. Temperatures definitely cooling down, so full autumn garb again.

I was meaning to set off a bit earlier than usual, but with my tendency to faff about, I set off at the customary 6:30. Up Hatfield bank, and then Stonehall Common, there was a bit of head wind, but nothing much, so I made it quickly to the turn, this time undistracted, to head for Defford.

Down Rebecca road saw the first cyclist of the day. Then came Besford, Defford, and over the road to Eckington. I got lucky that a van overtook me and triggered the bridge lights just as I was getting there, otherwise I would have to sit waiting for a car to come and trigger them. I was making reasonably quick progress, Eckington came and went, and the Westmancote turn took me along the flank of Bredon Hill, up the shallow ramp to Overbury.

In Overbury I took the lane on the right to Teddington, and then at the A46 roundabout the B road to Toddington. This is again a fairly shallow climb, but I was getting now more of a headwind/sidewind from the left, which on a couple of occasions caught my front wheel and pushed me towards the centre, though I managed to keep my line just about. I stopped for a breather at the entrance of the industrial park past the Winchcombe turn, and took the only photo of the day, as the views were rather grey and uninspiring today.
IMG_20200920_075556340~2.jpg

On the way now to the turn for Broadway, and now properly into the wind, last time I rode this section I managed a bit over 20mph average, today I was struggling to keep to 14. Anyhow, got to Broadway still in good time, and turning left towards Hinton on the Green put the wind to my side again, still quite blustery, but not as annoying.

Another stop just after crossing the A46, to have a nut bar while admiring the work of a tractor driver plowing a field.

The next stretch was a steady climb to Elmley Castle, followed by a quickish descent on to Pershore. By now my legs were starting to feel the distance, so another break by the old bridge to catch my breath and prepare for the last push up Holloway and then home via Wadborough, Littleworth and past the Norton church.

I have been riding significantly more than I used to, over 200 miles every month since May, with three hundred and some last month, and on track to do more than 300 again this month, but I think my legs may need a bit of a rest, so maybe next month there'll be fewer miles.

The map
IMG_20200920_194017.jpg

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Did a little further today. Just over 8 1/2 miles, 53 minutes. A couple of inclines (can't call them proper hills). Those that know me know I don't like hills. Elbow not as achey today. But won't be going out again till next weekend. Saturday looks like the weather will be okay.

Old jon

Guru
Kind weather yet again, it would be a shame to let it go to waste. Time to take the fixed and pedal around a route I have ignored for a while.

It starts with the mooch around Holbeck and then ride through Hunslet, for the first time since July I am going to ride up to John o’ Gaunts. Then it’s down to the Oulton roundabouts and head for Mickletown and Methley on the way to Castleford. This all sounds a bit built up, but isn’t. Plenty of green acres either side of the road and lots of paths and byways to explore. Maybe this week.

Turn north in Castleford and cross the River Aire, then the canal and one more bridge after that to cross the former railway line. Allerton Bywater is to the left, and further up the road so is Kippax. Peckfield Bar next, turn right on the A63 until the next roundabout and the left turn for Micklefield. Most of this is rural, green except the harvested fields, patches of woodland. But there is still traffic.

The B1217 goes past the gates at Lotherton Hall, and so do I, only to turn left for Aberford. Zag and zig onto Cattle Lane which goes up and down the bumpy bits on the way to Barwick. That last drag to the maypole is often hard work, today I must have had a tailwind. The road still goes up to leave the village behind, a gentle climb.

After Scholes the well worn way to the A58 and eventually the clock at Oakwood. More descent, I have to go back across the river if I want to see home again. Which I do, so weave around Hunslet again, roadworks are really making a mess here, and out in the direction of Dewsbury. Thirty five miles, big grin, and just shy of 1600 feet makes a happy morning.

Yup, all the way around . . .

21092020.jpg

Up and down too

2109elev.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Kind weather yet again, it would be a shame to let it go to waste. Time to take the fixed and pedal around a route I have ignored for a while.

It starts with the mooch around Holbeck and then ride through Hunslet, for the first time since July I am going to ride up to John o’ Gaunts. Then it’s down to the Oulton roundabouts and head for Mickletown and Methley on the way to Castleford. This all sounds a bit built up, but isn’t. Plenty of green acres either side of the road and lots of paths and byways to explore. Maybe this week.

Turn north in Castleford and cross the River Aire, then the canal and one more bridge after that to cross the former railway line. Allerton Bywater is to the left, and further up the road so is Kippax. Peckfield Bar next, turn right on the A63 until the next roundabout and the left turn for Micklefield. Most of this is rural, green except the harvested fields, patches of woodland. But there is still traffic.

The B1217 goes past the gates at Lotherton Hall, and so do I, only to turn left for Aberford. Zag and zig onto Cattle Lane which goes up and down the bumpy bits on the way to Barwick. That last drag to the maypole is often hard work, today I must have had a tailwind. The road still goes up to leave the village behind, a gentle climb.

After Scholes the well worn way to the A58 and eventually the clock at Oakwood. More descent, I have to go back across the river if I want to see home again. Which I do, so weave around Hunslet again, roadworks are really making a mess here, and out in the direction of Dewsbury. Thirty five miles, big grin, and just shy of 1600 feet makes a happy morning.

Yup, all the way around . . .

View attachment 548374

Up and down too

View attachment 548375

Passed you again John this morning, you were riding up the hill to Barwick in Elmet, you kindly waved me past (black van).

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Yesterday's Ride.

The organisers tried their best but Covid cancelled the 2020 edition of the Danny Mason Highland Challenge with just one week to go. Andy G and I had been signed up and the route had been published so with a lovely forecast in place we met up in Ludlow for a day's outing. The route began in a completely new direction from Ludlow and took us up onto the saddle between Titterstone and Brown Clee Hills. New roads for us. At Cleobury North we had both ridden the next part earlier in the season. So a climb onto the flanks of Brown Clee Hill but not the extreme ascent to the top like last time we were this way. We dropped away to join the route I take when I ride to see my daughter so up and over Wenlock Edge was familiar. From Longville-in-the-Dale it was new roads around Caer Caradoc before emerging at All Stetton to take in the tough climb I haven't ridden since the last edition of the old Kidderminster Killer 200km Audax route. It is a tough one for sure. Over the Long Mynd we stopped for a picnic lunch at Bridges before taking the 20% climb over the Stiperstones. This was familiar stuff for both of us. We turned in the beautiful beech woods for Linley and More before taking in Bishop's Castle. Somewhere on the climb beyond we missed a turn so had good views above Lydbury North rather having a much closer view while riding through. It was a good find up on the ridge tho' and we easily got back onto the route after the descent. More climbing was required as we headed for Craven Arms and legs were beginning to notice. From Craven Arms we took a fairly well known run through lanes to Onibury and eventually Ludlow. It had been a tough day out taking rather longer than we had estimated. For much of the ride we had averaged less than 10 mph. We had seen Buzzards, Red Kites, Ravens and a Sparrowhawk. We had also encountered other riders who appeared to be riding the DMHC 2020 route too. It certainly was a superb day for it. 65 smiles and 6757 feet of ups and downs.

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday – Another SE ride to Wetherby initially, due to a just before midday start the NCN followed to the showground to avoid the potentially gridlocked part of the A661 then on that road until turning off to Follifoot and the on road NCN route to Spofforth, thereafter back on the A road.
South from Wetherby on the A168 and then its unnumbered continuation pass Bramham paralleling the A1(M), largely hidden with the odd exception.
A1 Bramham.jpg

Followed the cycle track around the A64/A1(M) junction and back on the not-A168 to Aberford. Noted the sports cam battery was low but hoped it would last for the south easterly ride to Sherburn in Elmet; it did not so missed the one weird Sunday car of the day – a low bug eyed vehicle of some age.
A southerly orientation regained to South Milford where the road surface despite not looking too bad was really rough riding in places. SE once again through Monk Fyrston with a short skirmish with the A63 and then east and south in an increasingly flat landscape with the light wind noticeable to Beal where a newish looking bridge seemed to have been done on the cheap – a narrow single lane with a blind summit causing car drivers to hit their horns and cyclists hoping.
Beal.jpg

Continued onwards through Kellington making it three xE villages/towns to add to Saturdays Well and so clearly giving an excuse to pass on xF which locally is unachievable but the ride then arrived at Eggborough, most well known for its nearby power station.
Eggborough combi.jpg

The yellow sign on the A19 pass the power station advised of a road closure; it transpired to be total with no foot or bike access to the north. The newly installed on the phone only this last week OS maps investigated for a xH other than the planned Chappel Haddesley and the answer found with a ride to south on the A19, over the M62 to Whitley.
IMG_20200920_144635434.jpg

The A19 closure meant a return largely over the same roads over the bridge at Beal and pass the church at Birkin
Approaching Birkin.jpg

to reach just outside Monk Fryston, and deliberately avoided just outbound, Hillam.
Hillam.jpg

Back through South Milford, rough riding road surface this way as well, to Sherburn in Elmet from where I headed north on the A162 to Tadcaster, pausing at Towton as I had toe feeling a bit numb; a few good stamps resolved that.
North west from Taddy on the A659 I only just spotted the NCN to Thorpe Arch as there were not signs for it all – its through the gap next to the wooden gate.
NCN start.jpg

A lot of maps have the alignment of the NCN all the way along the old railway whereas it jumps to one side alongside the Business Park and the Wahoo merrily flashed red as it thought I was off route. Further on the origins of the NCN are plainly evident.
NCN overbridge.jpg

On road to Wetherby then NCN to Spofforth, Haggs Road, Rudding Lane and the A661 which now late in the afternoon was relatively quiet.
74.02 miles (119.1km) @ 14.5mph avg, 3120ft climbed
200920 route and elev.jpg

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Yesterday’s ride was a short afternoon ride to recover from the trauma of clothes shopping with/for my daughter. I don’t usually ride later in the afternoon but it made a nice change and it was warm and sunny. I set off towards Loppington turning off to Nonely and a detour round to Commonwood back to Nonely, Myddle, Burlton, English Frankton round Colemere, Lyneal Northwood where the traffic lights appeared to be stuck on green my side and red the other and back home. Lots of people out enjoying the weather. 20.19miles @15.9mph.
More sun this morning but a bit cooler and hazy over the hills. Went up to Horton, Loppington, English Frankton and straight down to Cockshutt where I took a different lane towards Weston Lullingfields, Baschurch, Eyton, Myddlewood and back into Baschurch over the crossroads in the other direction before turning to Stanwardine, Bagley, Tetchill Moor, Tetchill past Ellesmere College into Ellesmere up to Coptiviney, Welshampton down the lane by the church to Lyneal and the same way home as yesterday. There were actually workmen by the traffic lights in Northwood today which is the first time I have seen any in the weeks the lights have been there. Not many people out today although I did see one other cyclist 3 times taking a slightly different route to me. 36.6miles.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Another my ride yesterday
102Km Blaby - Countesthorpe - Peatling Magna - Foston - Kilby - Kibworth Harcourt - Carlton Culew - Ilston on the hill - Rolleston - Skeffington -Tilton On the Hill - 3/4 way to loddington - Back towards Skeffington (realised I'd lost my water bottle....had an idea where - Loddington - Tugby - Goadby - Glooston - Tur Langton - Kibworth Harcourt - Kibworth - Smeeton Westerby - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby - Bruntingthorpe -Peatling Parva = Ashby Magna - stung by a wasp - Wiloughby Waterlys - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Quite hard work as I ran 13km the day before - wasn't originally going to be so long but I realised I dropped my water bottle so added an extra 10K riding back to get it. I had a good idea where it was - heard something drop but my casual glance didnt see anything and I checked my phone and keys etc so rode on. 5km later 'where's my 2nd water bottle' dawns on me so I cycle back to Skeffington and there it was on the quiet road I thought it'd be on. So a slightly longer ride than I thought....gets to Arnesby decides to make it up to 100K. Cycling up from Ashby Parva to Wiloughby Waterlys a wasp (I think) flies into the air vent on my helmet and before I could stop and take my helmet off it stings me and finds its own way out. So the last 5k was done with a stinging pain in my head. Straight home (just heads down cycling) - shower, painkillers....and its bearable 4 hours later. Next day practically gone....not been stung in ages (3 times in my life) - this was the worst alas there's not even a red mark today. Lovely ride nontheless...

Photo just South of Goadby on the way to Glooston.....

Top Bottom