Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Someone suggested a ride out to Thorp Arch, ‘what a very good idea,’ thought I. And the Spa is still something to learn about, today’s lesson is to lower the bars, flip the stem anyway. So away I rode on it, roughly north to the bit where Leeds turns into fields.

And the three of us set off along Wike Ridge Lane, but not for long. Turn onto Tarn Lane, it is downhill through Scarcroft, straight over the A58. What goes down rises again, in this case to Milner Lane. Along this for a while then onto Holme Farm Lane, to the turn for Jewitt Lane. Which we rode along to Collingham. A bit of a squiggle through here leads to Linton and across the River Wharfe, just a little further on are the outskirts of Wetherby. More lefts and rights lead to the bridleway made from a Beechammed railway line. Yes, it is a word!!

This is the first time I have encountered horses on this bridleway. They were well behaved. Soon, Thorp Arch was reached and we stopped to refuel and warm up too. That wind from the north was aye cold. Cross the Wharfe after leaving the café, then turn right on the A659. A short way along here is the left to travel into Clifford and out again past the former convent. Clifford is a really tiny place that might have suffered worship overload in days of old, as the convent and two churches possibly indicate.

Bramham next, and Thorner Lane to that village. Usually, this bit is decorated with a headwind, but not today. Ride up Carr Lane and cross the A58. The road descends to the bottom of Shadwell Main Street, so you have to ride up it. But for me, only as far as Gateland Lane where we parted ways. I returned to the A58 for the wheeee!! down to the junction with Easterly Road. Wend my way past the Oakwood Clock and through town to home. A big grin for the hot shower waiting, and a very entertaining 41 miles riding. And more than 2000 feet ascending. It is good how this happens.

It was flat from above,

27092020.jpg

But lumpy from the side

2709elev.jpg

What a beautiful day! Thought it might be a bit chilly but no way, it was perfect in the low September sun, and long may it last i say. Better than some of the runs out over the summer that were minging hot.
Fairly usual route out west of Chester then a loop north and back into town, couple of quick pics first one Abbey Square.

Managed to just catch the last race of the season heading back home. The crowd were going ...., well, there was me and a couple of onlookers on the wall, but at least the cameras were there for the tv punters.

So 23 miles and very acceptable ones as well. Looking forward to getting out a couple of times a week from now on before the clocks change.

What a beautiful day! Thought it might be a bit chilly but no way, it was perfect in the low September sun, and long may it last i say. Better than some of the runs out over the summer that were minging hot.
Fairly usual route out west of Chester then a loop north and back into town, couple of quick pics first one Abbey Square.
View attachment 549454
Managed to just catch the last race of the season heading back home. The crowd were going ...., well, there was me and a couple of onlookers on the wall, but at least the cameras were there for the tv punters.

I really like the wide angle shot there. At least I'm assuming it's a carefully composed shot and not severe subsidence on the right hand terrace..

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Stirred from my grotty sofa-languishing mid-afternoon by the need for a trip to the shop, I headed out on foot and got half way down the road before I turned round and grabbed the bike, thanks to the glorious weather. Combed the scant shelves for bargains before heading off for a thoroughly enjoyable 20-ish mile mooch around town in the lovely golden glow of the low autumn sun 😊

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Out of the door at sunrise to meet up with the mighty Ross The Boss. He was joining me on the first part of today's ride to have Brekkie at Yalding. A fair rapid pace meant we got to Teapot Island Cafe early and had to wait a little, but it did mean we were first in the queue as soon after a good dozen or so other cyclists from different clubs turned up.
After brekkie, Ross made his way home whilst I continued my ride. It started to get a little cold now and a bit further and the heavens opened and decided to rain on me for an hour. Once the rain had stopped the wind Gods decided to punish me a bit more by blowing a nasty headwind in my direction making for tough going at times. But I got round and got home, a mucky human and a mucky bike. But Septembers Imperial Century Ride is done and dusted though a little late in the month.
So, scores on the doors. A tad just over 104 miles for the day. Imperial Century Ride #12 for the year. #285 over all. Imperial month #118 in a row. The 10 years is getting closer.

Last edited:

KingswayRider

Über Member
Apparently it was chilly today. I honestly didn't notice it a bit, and turned up for our club ride in shorts and short-sleeved jersey as usual. Nearly everyone else wore either long tights or long sleeves with gilets, jackets or snoods and shivered quite a lot. Another great route devised by @KingswayRider today, going around the West side of Newent before stopping at Staunton Garden Centre for coffee and cakes and returning via Hartpury and the Woolridge.

A decent turnout of ten of us meant splitting into two equally-paced groups for social distancing, but we never lost sight of each other on the road. Nice to see @Dark46 back in the fold and our friends Jim and Lisa making their first appearance of the year. Another great ride, leaving me about 14 miles short of both my 250 mile monthly target and my original end-of-year target of 3,000 miles. A shame we got caught by every single damn traffic light on the way back around the Gloucester Western By-pass. 42.4 otherwise enjoyable miles today.

Enjoy your rides, guys ... before autumn sets in with a vengeance. Cheers, Donger.
6 Degrees when I left just after 7am. At least the climb to Westrip warmed me briefly...before I got cold on the descent again. Arrived at the start with around 31-32 miles. Nice ride out - shame there isn't a quieter way to get between here & the lanes to the north, but once out of town it was all minor lanes. Got to work my legs on the climbs by helping Lisa - hand on the back & push the watts out. Finished up the day with 72 miles & just squeezed over the 1000m of ascent.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Got a pass out on Saturday so decided to ride to and from Widnes along the Trans Pennine/NCN62 on my Spa steel tourer. Lots of people out enjoying walking,horse riding and cycling without any issues.
Im always stopping to take photos so it took longer than normal to do the 68 mile round trip but well worth it
Enjoy a few of the many photos I took

First feed stop at Walton Hall

Sankey canal with Fiddlers Ferry looming in the distance

Old tug and my Spa on the Sankey canal

Fiddlers Ferry power station

Remains of a Mersey Flat on the River Mersey with the new bridge in the background

The old Runcorn bridge closed to traffic

River Mersey on the left, Manchester Ship canal on the right

New Mersey crossing

Feed stop and brew on the way home near Warrington using my daughters school cool bag to keep the all important milk cool

Happy bunny along the Trans Pennine near Lymm after a good days riding

AndreaJ

Veteran
A bright and breezy morning but definitely getting a bit cooler so I had to resort to long sleeves. Started out towards Horton just getting past the Moatshed as a helicopter was coming to land, not sure who travels to a cafe by helicopter but it’s there fairly often, carried on to Creamore onto the Whitchurch road into Wem,over the railway crossing and past the cricket club to Aston, Barkers Green back to the other side of Wem before turning to Tilley and Loppington, turned to Burlton over the road to Marton, Weston Lullingfields, Bagley, Lee past Whitemere where there were lots of people out sailing and up to Colemere taking the lane past the car park side of Colemere passing the vineyard on the way into Lyneal, Northwood and home. Lots of people out in the sunshine again. 29.75miles @15.7mph.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Got a pass out on Saturday so decided to ride to and from Widnes along the Trans Pennine/NCN62 on my Spa steel tourer. Lots of people out enjoying walking,horse riding and cycling without any issues.
Im always stopping to take photos so it took longer than normal to do the 68 mile round trip but well worth it
Enjoy a few of the many photos I took
View attachment 549487
First feed stop at Walton Hall
View attachment 549488
Sankey canal with Fiddlers Ferry looming in the distance
View attachment 549489
Old tug and my Spa on the Sankey canal
View attachment 549490
Fiddlers Ferry power station
View attachment 549491
Remains of a Mersey Flat on the River Mersey with the new bridge in the background
View attachment 549493
The old Runcorn bridge closed to traffic
View attachment 549494
River Mersey on the left, Manchester Ship canal on the right
View attachment 549495
New Mersey crossing
View attachment 549496
Feed stop and brew on the way home near Warrington using my daughters school cool bag to keep the all important milk cool
View attachment 549497
Happy bunny along the Trans Pennine near Lymm after a good days riding

Stunning B&W photo there. :okay:

I did a longer and hillier ride than usual for 2020, going up both Dovestones climb towards Holmfirth, visited Nora Batty's place then went up the Holme Moss climb (frustratingly no huge crowds sitting on the banks at the top waiting for me). Did a very enjoyable downhill the other side then rushed home as I had no front lights with me and it was getting on a bit!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJicGr2Qic

https://www.strava.com/activities/4093548815

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday – Day for ebike v the wind. 23.79 miles in total with three shopping outings although the 12.17 mile return trip to Lidl in the evening was actually solely an ebike ride as it had shut at 6pm for refurbishments despite being only 2 years old!

Sunday - Brrr, that wind was cold.
East through Knaresborough on the Defy where Waterside was full of pedestrians, many of whom were bell deaf, some being distracted by a train crossing the viaduct. That slow progress was mitigated with a PR on Abbey Road and then another SE on the B6164 through Little Ribston.

East again through Cowthorpe, Tockwith, Long Marston and the B1224 to Rufforth where the first signs of cycle friendly York emerged with a cycle track that appeared to take the opposing L shaped route out of the village to that that the road took. Noted it, then on touching the road, did a ninety degree turn onto a narrow route the width of a normal footpath with a gate immediately – nice! Carried on the B1224 across the York northern outer ring road to the western suburbs of the City.

Turned north; the road ultimately acquired a cycleway marked on one pavement, stayed on the road other than on the approach to a “bus gate” where uncertain what lay round the bend I nipped onto the cycleway; transpired it was a camera enforced “gate”.

Back off road onto the cycleway as the northern outer ring road reappeared, the A1237 is a mid 1980s creation much disputed at the time as being unnecessary and built as a two lane carriageway which almost immediately proved to be the exact opposite with heavy traffic and a notoriety for traffic jams. A couple of junctions have been improved but otherwise it remains as built.

On the approach to the bridge over the East Coast mainline and the River Ouse one of those annoying cycleway signs appeared “Cyclists Dismount”, quite clearly a cyclist coming to other way was not according with that and given the lack of width of the footway it did seem questionable how someone wheeling a bike could pass a pedestrian or another cyclist doing the same.
A1237combi.jpg

So peddled on, pass two pedestrians on the bridge, and then looped round to the east side of the A19 to take, slightly concerned, a subway under the A1237. Graffiti lined walled but litter / broken glass free.
Subway.jpg

Headed north on the A19 to the xK of Skelton, having skipped xJ as being pretty impossible.
IMG_20200927_142324436~2.jpg

Carrying on northwards which was when the cold wind really was felt and a thicker baselayer and thicker bid tights would have been desirable. Paused at entrance to The Sidings Hotel & Restaurant.
IMG_20200927_143219969_HDR~2.jpg

Eventually a westerly orientation arose after Tollerton and across to xL of Aldwark
IMG_20200927_151921032~2.jpg

Then south to cross the rattling toll bridge. Once across the bridge the wind seemed a touch warmer. West via Great Ouseburn, Arkendale and Ferrensby to Farnham where once beyond the village the sun appeared so the final part of the ride was done in more pleasant conditions albeit still with the northerly.

53.68 miles @ 14.5mph avg, 2041ft climbed.
270920 elevation.jpg

270920 route.jpg

Last edited:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Stunning B&W photo there. :okay:

I did a longer and hillier ride than usual for 2020, going up both Dovestones climb towards Holmfirth, visited Nora Batty's place then went up the Holme Moss climb (frustratingly no huge crowds sitting on the banks at the top waiting for me). Did a very enjoyable downhill the other side then rushed home as I had no front lights with me and it was getting on a bit!

View attachment 549540

View attachment 549538

View attachment 549544

View attachment 549539

View attachment 549541

View attachment 549542

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJicGr2Qic

https://www.strava.com/activities/4093548815

Thankyou, I prefer black and white most of the time.
your ride looks like a good one, cracking photos

Top Bottom