Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Fairly mild, little wind.
Today I decided to have a look at a short combined use trail that I'd noticed alongside the A530 Crewe to Nantwich road.

I set off along Swanlow lane to Church Minshull. Good going up to this point, but a new downhill best speed attempt on the Linear was scuppered by a refuse collection lorry stopped halfway down the long hill into Church Minshull. I turned Left towards Crewe at the mini roundabout by the church. I had expected a stiff climb up the hill to the canal bridge at the summit but unexpectedly quickly got into the lowest of my available gears. Of course I have a 28T chainring if I want to manually change to something lower but I felt I could manage. I told myself to just push, and got over OK. There was a disturbing amount of creaking, though, and it wasn’t my knees. Once on the flat it quietened down. I continued to the traffic lights at the A530 Middlewich -Nantwich road, turned right and continued past the hospital.

Although there were road closed signs on this stretch I hoped that there would be a bike sized gap which I might squeeze through. After several miles however, I discovered the work was being done on a bridge which was barriered off and covered with workmen and machinery. I turned back and had to wait at temporary traffic lights by the Bentley Motors works. Eventually I managed to turn right and came out at a roundabout further along, down a dip and up past the Rising Sun, where I was able to turn on to the Kings Shilling Greenway to Nantwich.

A slight uphill, which generated some more creaking. Irritated, I stopped and got the tools out. Checked the rear hub and spindle nuts -OK. Checked and retightened the rear folding quick release clamps -OK. Checked the seat clamps -slightly looser than I would have liked. Tightened. Set off upslope -no more creaking. Satisfied, I continued.
A pleasant mixed use path separated from the road by thick high hedges with occasional access points. At one of these access points there was a sculptural display and information board.

It stops at a busy roundabout on the A500. There are crossing points into Nantwich. I carried on into Nantwich town centre, through the old town then up Welsh Row, crossed over to the pavement then followed a mixed use path along the new road then crossed over to follow the riverside path which comes out near Reaseheath College. Just before it reaches the road there is an information board.

I followed a mixed use path again along the pavement then crossed over at the crossing, then into the college grounds and out on to the road to Wettenhall.

A long dip with a humped bridge and a climb on the other side led me to make a bid for speed but at the last minute a woman appeared by the far side of the bridge. She stood to one side but a dozy dog which was with her walked into the road. This led to a brake test in earnest and some weaving about. The brakes definitely work. The dog risked strangulation as its owner yanked it back to her side. I climbed up the other side from a rolling start, grinding away in a suitably low gear.

Got home in one piece. Distance 25.4 miles, max speed 29.9mph, average 8.9 mph. Not getting much faster, but again much of the route was off road. Not a huge distance, but a lot of pleasant experiences. Must try for that 50 (or more) miler before the nights finally close in.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I had a splendid ride yesterday in the most perfect weather imaginable. I'm still feeling a little of the effects of shingles but yesterday convinced me things will return to normal.

I've largely restricted myself this year to a radius of about 15-20 miles this summer, for obvious reasons, but yesterday I headed a bit further up to Warwickshire. Rescue would have been available in necessary, not doubt at the cost of all accumulated credits...

Some pictures, the first near Eckington looking towards Strensham services. In case you missed them during the Tour de France:

At Coughton Ford near Redditch, A shame I missed the previous vehicle, driven my a young lady in extremely gung-ho style sending spray well above roof level. Next time I'm there I'll be a bit more prepared:

And a picture I've been meaning to get for a long time, thwarted in recent months by road closures. A glance at the website suggests the service is no more. :sad:

October is usually my favourite cycling month, so things seem to be shaping up OK.

SGG on a bike

Managed my longest ride to date this morning at 41.8 miles. Headed out through Lowestoft through the lanes to Henstead, then on past Ellough before riding down to Beccles. Out the other side to Gillingham, Geldeston and Ellingham, then Via Stubbs Green to Loddon. Back to the lanes again towards Haddiscoe via Heckingham, Thurlton and Thorpe. Left turn onto the A143 to get over the bridge to St Olaves followed by a right turn to Herringfleet and home via Somerleyton and Blundeston. Just a whisker over 3 hours ride time plus a couple of stops and an average of 13.4 mph, so pretty pleased with that as I was pacing myself a fair bit. Before today for a number of reasons I'd never managed to get past the 30 mile mark. It was also a nice way to finish the month as Mrs SGG and I had both been raising a few quid for Cancer Research with the September 300 event. We entered as a team, with her committing to 100 miles and me making up the rest. She actually did 204 in the end and with my solo ride this morning, I ended on 345. Best of all though, is that we raised £1000, so hopefully that will be put to good use for someone else's benefit.

Sorry no pics from this one. I'll try harder next time. :-)

Last edited:

SGG on a bike

That's 67 Km Well done. It's a great feeling isn't it?

Also slightly envious of the 20 km/h average speed...
My legs were pretty tired by the time I got home and the last few upward bumps (we don't do hills round here) were a bit harder to get up than normal! I was on the Caad, so a fairly easy bike to gain speed on. Even with a drinks, Brooks saddle, Carradice saddlebag loaded with food and spare layers of clothing along with tools it still only weighs in at just over 11kg. I had also picked a route that's fairly easy, being a mix of a couple of routes done previously.

My commute took an hour today, which is as long as it used to take when I worked in central Stuttgart.

On the other hand, it looked like this*:

2020_09_30_Commute_woods_01.jpg

2020_09_30_Commute_woods_04.jpg

And according to the signs, there's even more where this came from:

2020_09_30_Commute_woods_02a.jpg

This business of living where work is rather than where my family are has many disadvantages, but there are some good points.

*Apologies for poor photo quality: blame cheap and cheerful phone camera...

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My favourite kind of ride today ..... just two of us, both like-minded and into taking in the scenery as much as riding the bike. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me though. Claire and I met up at Westbury Water Gardens, where there is a big lay-by where you can nearly always find room to park. We headed off to the banks of the Severn first, down to the Strand, where she took this picture of me on her phone:

This was actually right next to a red sandstone cliff that we get fleeting and tantalising distant views of when we do our usual Arlingham ride over on the other side of the river. Then we headed along the lanes to Rodley, where we took a short walk across a field to view Framilode from the western bank. It is quite satisfying getting to see well-known places from a completely different perspective. From there, we crossed the A48 and ambled along through Northwood Green before starting a mercifully benign climb up through Blaisdon and on up Velthouse Lane to Longhope. Some gorgeous woodland on the way.

At Longhope, we turned left onto the busy A4136, where I had a near death experience with a large quarry truck that pulled in far too soon during an overtake (quite unnecessarily) and almost clipped me into the verge. :eek:For a second I actually considered jumping off the bike! Coffee and cakes at Harts Barn put me into a better mood for the short but traffic-ridden climb up the A4136 to Mitcheldean, where we were happy to hang a left and get off the main road. Another brief climb was followed by a lazy descent down a beautiful little valley past Flaxley Abbey and then another brief section of A48 back to Westbury on Severn.

Well, the BBC weather never turned up, and it was glorious sunshine all the way. Only 19.6 miles done, and at tourist pace, but a great little ride .... possibly one of my top ten this year. It is always nice to drive out to somewhere different to start a ride in less familiar places, where you don't know what is around the next corner. Woods, quiet lanes, river banks, some manageable hill climbs and great, like-minded company. A ride that
had it all.

Enjoy your rides everyone.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Lunchtime WFH commute, just my usual 10 mile loop, never seen so many cyclists out in these lanes at this time of the day.

It looks like this may have been the last dry ride for a while.

Old jon

Guru
It is ten days since I rode the fixed, there is a ride intended for tomorrow but not for this bike. It is a fine morning so off me and the fixed went.

Feeling lazy, maybe, the towpath in the direction of Liverpool was the way out of Holbeck. A bit less busy than recently so I decided to stay on the towpath further than usual. A lot further. There is little to write about a 25 mile peaceful pedal along a largely flat route. OK the locks provide the occasional uphill bit, in one direction only. The scenery, well, it is the tail end of autumn and the colours are glorious. Bright sunshine, all the way past Kirkstall and Bramley Falls, it is a climb up that last lock before Newlay.

From there to Rodley, past all the moored boats, and one resting on the bottom. Still quiet, smooth to ride on. Past the village the path becomes a little rougher and the surrounding land more rural. The only thing to disturb the peace is a train every now and then. Glad they run on rails.

Apperly Bridge is next, a great deal of new building has happened along the canal side here, the opposite side to the towpath. Cross the road and climb up the side of the next lock. There is a railway bridge above the canal a little further on, and that is where the path surface starts to deteriorate. Much too bad for my liking this morning, about turn and back to the road.

Where I turned left. And thought a little. Up the hill to Greengates, and a bit more thought. The Aire valley is densely built up all the way to anywhere from here, lots of traffic on few roads. I had enjoyed the peace along the towpath, back there goes me!! And everything is downhill in this direction, all the way back to the street where I live. Smile on face, great easy ride and the sun still shines.

Boring squiggles, might achieve 3D some time . . .

01102020.jpg

0110elev.jpg

Strange elevation trace though, if I had wanted one like that . . .

Mike_P

Guru
Lunchtime fast ebike ride to Lidl at Knaresborough and back within the allocated time (if such exists working at home) in order to use a £2 voucher up before it expired with 8 PRs acquired . Went down a reasonably quite Beryl Burton Cycleway and the full length of Waterside and Abbey Road, obviously less busy than Sunday; on the return down quite literally Castle Ings Road to Waterside (wonder how fast slow the Ebike will go up it). On the uphill cycletrack on the A59 encountered two cyclists going downhill on it; one carrying a brand new wheel, from Spa or Halfords I wondered. 14.48 miles @14mph avg, 26.2mph max and 906ft of upwards roads.

gavgav

Guru
I bought myself a new bike, last week, a Genesis Croix de Fer 20 (2021 model) and after some expert checks and fettling from @Rickshaw Phil on Monday evening, he joined me for my first ride on it, this evening, after working.

We set out through the local estate, very busy with traffic, which isn’t normally the case, then out onto the A458, which was heaving and so I chose to pull into the entrance to an industrial unit, on the left, to avoid the death trap right turn, just as a lorry was turning into the same entrance, Sod’s law!

We had to wait for a gap in the traffic, but eventually crossed and onto the road to Betton Abbots, which was also heaving with traffic, then onto quieter lanes to Berrington.

The lane Between Berrington and Cound Stanks had unfortunately been hedge trimmed and so we were a bit bothered about thorns.......which about a mile later proved to be the case, as a clunking sound from Phil’s front wheel became apparent, caused by a twig and said thorn :sad: Phil pulled the thorn out and sure enough there was a hiss, so we pulled into a nearby gate and Phil carried out a fix.

20 minutes later and we set off again, into the sunset, up to Pitchford Fork and then Cantlop, Betton Abbots and back to the estate, where we parted ways.

Initial thoughts are that the bike is a pleasure to ride, lighter than my Cube, which will now be sold to a willing investor and a sound purchase.

Just 12.57 miles, but looking forward to more exploration on this bike

One the way back from work today, I found myself riding alongside a youngish kid, about 8 or 9, on a little mountain bike. I'd slowed to let a car through a gap and so I was rolling about the same speed as him, and when he saw me he looked twice, grinned a sly grin, and the race was on.

Now, even a moderately unfit 40 something on what is basically a 90's MTB with pretentions and metal mudguards can keep up with a nine year old on a supermarket special, so I let him pull ahead before drawing alongside.

"Woah, you're fast" was the response. Then he saw some of his friends playing football. I waved and got a distracted wave back as he headed off.

The grin, the race and the interaction were pretty cool and would have been enough to raise my mood. the icing on the cake was that he was of African origin; and I love the fact that a black kid, who in Germany is likely at most a second generation immigrant & possibly a refugee, can feel relaxed enough that when a white adult stranger turns up, his response was to challenge me to a race.

Last edited:
Top Bottom