Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old jon

Guru
Sort of not warm this morning, and a grey sky with errr, texture, I think is the best word. The individual clouds could be seen, but no blue between them. Anyway, sod the clouds, there is a ride to do!

Meeting point at a different pub to the north of Leeds, off we went through that bit of Scarcroft and up to Milner Lane. Holme Farm Lane heading towards Bramham, past the allotments there and bear left for Clifford, a short bit of the A659, turn to cross the River Wharfe, on the way to Walton via Thorp Arch. Then Bickerton, Tockwith and Long Marston and then a café stop.

I am pretty sure the café was before Askham Richard, out of there to Bilbrough on the way to Bolton Percy. And then it is back to more familiar places. From Bickerton to here I do not think I have ridden through anywhere this year, Tockwith maybe. So, a road I do remember to Tadcaster, followed by the road out to Stutton. Which just misses the village if you turn right.

A stiff little climb, then a still rising road which eventually crosses the A64. Back to Bramham and turn left. This road runs at the side of the A1M, across the roundabout at Bramham Crossroads, and further on to Aberford. The old A1, for the most part. The miles were stacking up a bit now, but we are nearing the end. Turn on to Cattle Lane for the ups and downs to Barwick, through there to Scholes. A little squirt, I wrote sprint but am fooling no one but meself, along the A64 to Thorner Lane and then we parted.

For me, the usual lanes back to the A58, then the Oakwood Clock and around by Crown Point to home. Face decorated with a big grin for just over sixty miles of really good riding, and after the upload finding I had done 2792 feet of upwards, sorry @Sterlo . Really good stuff.

Sometimes the route shape suggests something. Maybe I need beer

02102020.jpg

Ups and downs, of course

0210elev.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
I had a day off work today to wait for a delivery which turned up at 8.40am leaving time for a short ride. Despite the doom and gloom weather forecast it was fairly warm, not raining and just breezy so after waiting for the school run traffic to go I set off towards Loppington taking a detour to Nonely then across to Brown Heath, Lyneal, past the woods to Pikes End, round Colemere, Lyneal, Welshampton crossing the road by the school to Coptiviney, the lane past the farm has a short fairly steep hill which is now covered in several inches of mud and farmyard where the cows cross the lane between the fields and the milking parlour which was making it harder than it should be to get up, picked my way round the potholes and worst of the mud and turned to Hampton Wood, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood where the temporary traffic lights have finally gone and back home. Not many people about today. 20.65miles @15.1mph, after cleaning my bike on Tuesday it’s now filthy again ☹️

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Somewhat belatedly, my write up of the ride with Gav on Thursday evening:

I set out to head for our rendezvous point noting that the hedges alongside the cycleway had been cut on one side earlier in the day. Not too many cuttings to avoid but there will be soon when they get round to this side. :dry: I had a clear run through the various crossings so arrived a few minutes early.

Once Gav arrived we set out on an indirect route to Weeping Cross, over the bypass and out of town. Being pretty busy on the road we pulled in to wait for a gap to cross only for the lorry behind to follow us - typical.:rolleyes:

My setting up of the bike appeared to be good except that the chain was a little reluctant to go into top on the cassette - a minor tweak to fix it at our next stop, or would have been if I'd had a 2mm allen key with me. The smallest I had in my bag was a 2.5mm.:blush:

Continuing through Berrington we headed on the lane through Eaton Mascott which showed that a set of mudguards is desirable (on order but they hadn't arrived at this point). It was along here that I picked up my puncture and we lost about 20 minutes while I fixed it.

Sunset passed somwhere near Pitchford Bridge then the rest of the ride back through Cantlop and retracing our steps to Weeping Cross went pretty nicely. I could see that Gav was getting along much easier with this bike than the old Cube, which bodes well for future rides.^_^

After parting from Gav I headed home but made a little detour taking in a quiet lane. As it was starting to go dark properly now this gave the opportunity to check the alignment of my lights as I'd just set them so they looked about right after fitting the new handlebar - they turned out to be aimed low so I was able to correct that.

18.2 miles by the time I got back at 12.2 mph average.

Gav and his new steed.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Up early to do the weekly food shop home by 0830 checked the weather app :rain: rain all day but a ride was required to keep my consecutive days run going . So I figured now is as good as it gets ,Out the door at 0900 no plan just wanted 10 plus miles decided to stay close to home in case the spitted rain got worse . Did my commuting route out to Mountsorrel. A quiet lane in Mountsorrel Bond lane has been closed for 3 years but has recently reopened so decided to do it in the upwards direction . It's a good climb but a big effort saw it dispatched in the big ring :training: but still 2 seconds off a Pr but 5th fastest this year . The rain was just about holding off so an extended route home . Got back to my village and the rains no worse so another 6 mile loop to Groby and home via Newtown Linford . Managed to get 25 miles in the bag a lot more than I thought I'd do mainly stayed dry which was unexpected . Had been home for 15 mins when it started to properly rain so good timing . Now studying the weather app looking for a weather window for tomorrow

pawl

Legendary Member
Up early to do the weekly food shop home by 0830 checked the weather app :rain: rain all day but a ride was required to keep my consecutive days run going . So I figured now is as good as it gets ,Out the door at 0900 no plan just wanted 10 plus miles decided to stay close to home in case the spitted rain got worse . Did my commuting route out to Mountsorrel. A quiet lane in Mountsorrel Bond lane has been closed for 3 years but has recently reopened so decided to do it in the upwards direction . It's a good climb but a big effort saw it dispatched in the big ring :training: but still 2 seconds off a Pr but 5th fastest this year . The rain was just about holding off so an extended route home . Got back to my village and the rains no worse so another 6 mile loop to Groby and home via Newtown Linford . Managed to get 25 miles in the bag a lot more than I thought I'd do mainly stayed dry which was unexpected . Had been home for 15 mins when it started to properly rain so good timing . Now studying the weather app looking for a weather window for tomorrow

Noticed that work had started when I called at Stonehurst Farm .Taken them long enough to get the work done.

13 rider

Guru
Noticed that work had started when I called at Stonehurst Farm .Taken them long enough to get the work done.
Last time I rode it was May 2017 not sure exactly when it was closed but was definitely closed by May 2018 as I ride it on a charity ride I do in May and in 2018 it was rerouted . They have replace an old stone bridge with an steel ugly looking think an looks like the retaining walls have been strengthened . The road above is a quarry access road so I presume tarmac carried out the work

Mike_P

Guru
A car borne trip to the recycling site on Penny Pot this morning to dispose of various metal items, including numerous old gear cables and an old wheel off the hybrid that I had discovered behind the garden shed, showed just how wet and at times flooded the roads where.

Not really a day for the white Defy, so an outing then for the hybrid just before 11am for the first time since 11 July. Giving it a quick check over decided the tyres could do with a touch more air in them; did the front okay and then on taking the dust cap off the rear found the exposed threaded spindle and cap had broken off:ohmy: The inner tubes are Joes No Flats so presumably the inners of the Presta valve are full of sealant. Changed mind and decided it had enough air in it. It'll be fun getting that inner tube off when the time comes, a shower of sealent to look forward to:sad:

A uneventful 12.62 mile ride around the Brearton Lane End loop, the bike rode well with no obvious issues from nearly 3 months neglect although the Wahoos battery ran out; forgot I had used it twice to track the ebike during the week:banghead:

Only one notably wet bit encountered, on High Moor Lane between Brearton Lane End and the B6165.

Weather was blue skys with clouds and at time the sun breaking through the clouds until the last half mile when it started raining, and stopped as soon as I opened the side gate. 680ft climbed

13 rider

Guru
Awoke this morning to find out it wasn't raining a pleasant surprise and the roads not that wet so the TCR was wheeled out and I'd risk no mudguards . Plan was to attempt to get 50km in for the monthly challenge . Headed out on my Standard Wymeswold loop . Anstey ,Rothley ,Cossington ,Sileby ,Seagrave then up Berrycott lane . Caught 2 runners with numbers on a quick chat and discovered they were doing the virtual London marathon they were 10 miles in wished them well and on too Wymeswold down narrow lane and past another couple of marathoners shouted encouragement as I past . Through Barrow heading to Sileby and my discovered my planned route home was flooded which wasn't a big surprise the road does flood regularly so back to Sileby ,Cossington ,Rothley turn through Swithland where I past a group of 4 marathoners who were visablely quicker than everyone else I'd seen . They were 22 miles in and were aiming for sub 3 hrs so pretty quick . Cropston and back to Anstey weather still holding so decided to head out to Groby and home via Newtown Linford . Managed to rack up 40 miles which took my weekly total past 200 miles . Stayed mainly dry so much better than expected . Good look to all the mad runners out there a marathon must be hard but normally they be cheered round but it would be a long lonely slog for most today

Old jon

Guru
Sunshine? In October? Get out and ride in it anyway. A friend has a route that needs riding, to make sure there are no swamp crossings or mountain climbs.

So off we go. On the way to the meeting point the main road is closed, by the police. Dunno why, just detoured around it. This is going to be a sketchy ride description, off we pedalled, roughly following Wyke Beck. Which I knew. But then we rode a whole network of paths, crossing the A64 east of Selby Road, up to Halton and on to Temple Newsam house.

From there we somehow missed Cross Green but found the Wakefield to Garforth road, turned right to cross the River Aire, which was well high, and then another right turn to reach the Aire and Calder towpath. I cannot remember riding along this towpath in company before. And with someone who knows the area so well. A turn off the towpath leads to what I remember as a twitcher’s paradise. It likely still is in winter, but once across the lake there are Skelton Services. First visit, it was quiet and somewhere to lock a bike to was, err, invisible. This has been advertised as cyclist friendly, I am told. Of course we do not know which cyclist it is friendly to.

Anyway, refuel, admire architecture, optional, and ride away. It is a short ride now to the Armouries museum. Enough of interest along the way, more than usual due to the extra water the river was carrying. Up those steps on the bridge at Skelton Grange, down the other side and ride past the putty factory as was. Thwaites Mill, thank you memory. Plenty of trees in autumn uniform, and the evergreens of course. A lot of recently built housing along the way, prettier than the stuff it replaced for sure.

And then, ‘cos I had no need to cross the river again, we went our several ways. For me a short distance to the street where I live, the sight of the front door lit up a grin. Twenty two miles and 879 feet of going up makes a most enjoyable Sunday ride.

A map, of course,

04102020.jpg

And the start of the elevation trace suggests I fell down the stairs . . .

0410elev.jpg

gmclean

Regular
First proper spin on my new Triban RC520, just a quick pootle but what a difference from my hybrid!
This is my “quick spin” route, so I could compare against my other bike, but main difference was the hills. No more dropping lower and lower down the gears, I actually didn’t mind any of them. Don’t get me wrong they are more “rises on the road” but were so much easier on the Triban.
AND it didn’t rain.
Win win!

Attachments

• FEC20BC5-E98F-4A2D-9FB2-411B0D3A1006.jpeg
    FEC20BC5-E98F-4A2D-9FB2-411B0D3A1006.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 4

colly

Re member eR
Mrs Colly and I drove north yesterday for a few days up in Northumberland. It was raining when we set off, it rained for the entire journey and it rained for the rest of the day and evening.
This morning however I looked out at blue, blue skies, and after a leisurely breakfast of eggs and bacon, I, not unreasonably, decided it was bike O'clock.
Shortly before 11am I was out with the bike. Before I set off in earnest I stopped and took a couple of pics of the River Aln which is just at the end of the lane where we are staying:
Looking down stream

Looking upstream

This is normally a shallow brook maybe a metre deep, not after yesterdays rain though. It is maybe 2 meters above normal. All that water has to find it's way to the sea somehow.
So I headed north and after skirting Alnmouth I climbed up in the direction of Boulmer and stopped to take another couple of photos of the same river as it meanders slowly down to the sea. At this point it's about a half mile further down stream from the first photos and maybe another mile before it winds around Alnmouth and finds the sea.

Pressing on I found Boulmer and passed Boulmer RAF Station which by all accounts is home to Aerospace Surveillance and Control System Force Command. The gates of which have this beast parked nearby:

On then through Longhoughton and Howick and a quick stop for a view of the sea:

North still, passing Craster (of crab fame) Dunstanburgh Castle, Embleton, into Beadnell, Seahouses and up to Bamburgh Castle and the Farne Islands shining off the coast in the sunshine. Pity you can't see them really because it was a lovely view. Naturally I stopped and took a photo.....of my forehead.:blush: Not for the first time my phone has played this trick on me.

Bamburgh Castle is always impressive, as this photo shows:

No of course it wasn't me who took the pic. For a start it is in focus and there are no thumbs or fingers in the way.
I turned west and south here and made my way back through small deserted lanes until I found somewhere I recognised and knew for sure I was on track.
A pic or two of the old bridge in Lesbury and part of the mill that once stood alongside the river here:

Back in for around 2 ish just in time for a cuppa and a read of the papers.

47.3 miles and 1800ft of up.
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/57160011

Last edited:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Due to life and family commitments, I've little time for riding during these shorter days, so I've bought myself a turbo trainer in an attempt to build my fitness up this winter. However today I had a little time to head out into the Autumn sunshine and get some fresh air into my lungs. The sun was out and it was warm enough for shorts, the first kilometres through the local forest tracks were busy with people enjoying the Autumn sun, it wasn't long though before I was out onto the quieter tracks that meander there way through the forest.

Keeping on familiar tracks I fly along under the trees, shadowed briefly by a Buzzard overhead, the only visible living thing around. Before long I'm down to the horse paddocks and then on to the Hydro Electric plant spanning the river. The plant is covered in scaffolding and the river has been blocked with large bags of aggregate. They appear to be working on the large movable dam, which is winched high into the air.

On the other side of the river I swing back towards home, the tarmac roads soon giving way to gravel paths running parallel to the river. Packs of older E-bike riders keep sweeping on by, going the opposite way as the strong winds bend the trees overhead. After a while It's time to turn away from the main trail and into a more secluded patch of forest. This time I'm on my own for several kilometres enjoying the solitude as the bike bounces along over tree routes and other obstacles.

As I near the end of this section I come across an obstacle that no amount of bunny hopping skills would clear!

Over and onward we ride until arriving home just over an hour since setting out. A shade over 24 kilometres and a real pleasure to be outside in the Autumn sunshine.

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was a dry and breezy morning after yesterday’s wind and rain and still warm enough for shorts. Started out to Wolverley staying on the main road before turning to Loppington as I thought the first lane would be flooded which it was when I passed the other end, turned off to Nonely through the first large puddles and on to Myddlewood, up the hill to Myddle and down Lower Road to Merrington passing some signs warning the road will be closed next week, through more floods to Old Woods, Fennemere, Eyton into Baschuch, Stanwardine, Bagley, Hordley, Tetchill, Ellesmere up to Coptiviney where the water was running down the lane, hoping that the rain would have washed the mud off the lane towards Welshampton I headed that way and it had done a good job of cleaning it although it seems to have washed a bit more road surface off as well, met a car on the steep hill after the old railway bridge where you don’t really want to meet a car but the lady driver kindly waited at the top for me to get up with a nice thumbs up as I passed, took the short route to Breadon Heath, down Rowe Lane to come along the canal to Hampton Bank, Northwood and back home through the biggest flood of the ride which as it is quite near home I should have known would be there and taken the next turning instead. Only saw a few cyclists today, some horse riders and a few marathon runners. 34.47 miles @15.3 mph managed to get muddy despite the mudguards although the water did clean the bike a bit.

Top Bottom