Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
First ride on the Bob Jackson this month, I bought and fitted a new seatpost, somehow the old one was looking scruffy enough for me to notice it. The saddle is now 3mm higher than before, deliberately, and I wondered how much difference it might make.

The day still had a temperature in double figures, when I pedalled away towards Holbeck and the towpath. Leaving that to begin the upwards stuff to cross the Ring Road at Lawnswood. And then bear left to climb some more to the water tower at Cookridge. Just before reaching that I felt the wind for the first time. Stronger than I thought.

The road to Bramhope, all the way, and the wind has vanished again. Turn left to the Dyneley Arms and right for Pool Bank. Straight through the village, cross the Wharfe and take the next left, signposted Leathley I hope. A bit more riding along here and then the left to cross the Washburn, on its very own narrow bridge.

And up the hill to Farnley. Which provides the descent into Otley and the chance to feed me by the riverside. And decide to take an unusual way home. So ride back across the Wharfe and then back to Pool on the A659, staying on this road as far as Arthington. Where I turned right to ride up Creskeld Lane to return to Bramhope.

Through the almost finished road alterations there and turn left, up to the road that borders Golden Acre Park’s eastern side. Whizz down that and cross Adel dam. And back to the A660. Headingley, Kirkstall and the towpath. A bit of Hunslet and home is then close.

Thirty four miles and 1959 feet up, said the garthing. Which for once seems to have a pretty standard shape to it, no scuba diving needed. Extra saddle height? That worked, or at least I noticed nothing untoward. Turn into my street, a few spits of rain which didn’t wash the smile away. A pretty good ride.

And some topographical stuff, or should that be geographical?

View attachment 551063

View attachment 551064

ooh creskeld Lane ..wave at the postie it could well be me !

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today was the 100km challenge ride day as it was forecast to be dry all day. Although it was bright & sunny and looked warm, there was quite a stiff breeze which took the edge off the temperature as I found out when getting the bike out of the shed, so the shorts got put back and out with the longs.

I'd planned to do a run up to Ipswich and then out to Ardleigh and back through the Dedham Vale area, but once on the road this was quickly abandoned as I realised that I'd be spending too much of the time heading into the wind, despite what Wundermap showed. The resulting ride was therefore made up on the go, taking the Bucklesham Road out to Ipswich then roughly northwards out to Coddenham for the first time in a long while. A very short, head down blast along the A140 to get onto the Old Norwich Road, then down to Claydon, Sproughton, out to Hintlesham and down again to East Bergholt via Holton and the run back towards Ipswich past Alton Water and home on the Nacton back road.

Screenshot_2020-10-07 Not the ride I'd planned Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-10-07 Not the ride I'd planned Ride Strava(1).png

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Andy G spotted a weather window. Gospel Pass he asked. So I met up at the car park at Hardwicke. We had decided to save the best till last so we took to lanes new to us both heading towards Hereford. We looped to avoid the city for Kilpeck where we stopped to admire the 900 year old church with it's amazingly well preserved carving. It gets quite lumpy out this way so Cupid's Hill had to be conquered before we paused in Grosmont for lunchtime sandwiches. More climbs followed as we took in the views to the Black Mountains from Campston Hill. We dropped to cross the Abergavenny road to take the approach to the Gospel Pass. My chain broke at this point. Fortunately Andy had a chain tool so it didn't take long to get underway again. It's a lovely ride up through the valley and the climb from Capel-Y-Ffin needs a low gear but the views out over Wales and the Welsh Marches are stunning. We descended easily to pass through Hay-on-Wye and return to our cars. Lovely outing with a bit of everything today.
P1010675.JPG

P1010676.JPG

P1010677.JPG

P1010680.JPG

P1010681.JPG

P1010682.JPG
P1010682.JPG

P1010683.JPG
P1010684.JPG

ianbarton

Veteran
After several days of torrential rain and gales, yesterday was sunny with only a slight breeze. I had an appointment at the Warfarin clinic in Nantwich to check my rat poison levels in the afternoon. After leaving the clinic I set off to Acton, turning left by the church and followed a lane over the canal crossing the A49 opposite Cholmondley Castle and Gardens. From there I followed NCN 70 into Marbury. There followed a bit of uphill before a final enjoyable descent into Whitchurch. I stopped off at the Costa on the main street for a large Americano, raspberry slice and wafer biscuit. Feeling better for the intake of caffeine and carbohydrates I made my home via Ash and Ightfield.

57.2km at an average speed of 19.3kph.

06_07_20_A_bike_ride_in_Dodcott_cum_Wilkesley_England.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
With (yet more) rain showers forecast for this afternoon, I actually managed to get myself going early enough to load the Bootzipper into the back of the car and be in Diss for a late morning start. The route I'd mapped out was basically a loop out to the Snetterton area and back again and the Bootzipper was chosen as they were mostly rough, single lane jobs and I wasn't in any sort of hurry.

Roughly north out of Diss heading towards Tibenham on something called 'The Heywood' with a couple of diversions to Mill Green & Gissing with this being typical of the sort of lanes I was on
Chequers Lane, Gissing.JPG

Or open lanes with this sort of view
Mill Road, Tibenham.JPG

Past Fen Lakes and through Hargate to Carleton Rode, the run westwards to the Snetterton area took me through Old Buckenham, but I didn't realise that it passed the entrance to the old WW2 airfield, so I took a quick diversion, but it appeared that the 453rd Bomb Group museum was closed so I didn't stop for long.
Old Buckenham airfield (1).JPG

More lanes through Wilby & Eccles brought me out at the back end of Snetterton circuit where I could hear but not see something interesting on track (it turned out to be a Ferrari race & client day) where the returm to Diss started. Through Quidenham, Kenninghall to the back of Bressingham an finally back to Diss with just under 37 miles completed.
Screenshot_2020-10-09 Garmin Connect.png

ianbarton

Veteran
A ride of three parts and a Great Escape. First decent day for a few days, although a bit breezy. I set off from home to ride my Wem loop. After about 2.5km I felt a bit strange and realized I wasn't carrying my rucksack. I dithered about going back home, but it's got my rain jacket and a few tools that aren't in my bottle carrier. Inevitably if I carried on it would rain and I would need something else I had left behind.

After I collected my rucksack I started off again along the same route. I stopped at the Coop in Wem and bought a few Mr Kipling's slices (yes I am addict). The cafe was open so I had a brie, bacon and cheese sandwich an a couple of Americanos. Just after I reached Lowe I could see huge black clouds rolling towards me. While I struggled to get my rain jacket on it began to pour. Luckily I was protected from most of the rain by the hedge. Even better it stopped after about five minutes. About 5km from home I could see more black clouds coming towards me. I got home and went to put the kettle on and there was a very heavy hail storm! 59.7 km including the loop back home.
09-10-20-A-bike-ride-in-Wem-England.png

Attachments

• 09-10-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England_2.png
    09-10-20-A-bike-ride-in-Dodcott-cum-Wilkesley-England_2.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 2

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I rode over to Upton with Mrs 26. Jules H was expecting his new Garmin so I had it stored safely about my person. I fitted it for him and showed him the screens I'd set up for him. John G, Pete M, Steve E and Margaret PR turned up. Jules and Mrs 26 headed off while the rest of us headed for The Rampings and Haw Bridge. Around by Deerhurst set us up for the passage of Tewkesbury for the cafe at The Mythe. Social distance with service outside seemed safe. John did his usual main road ride for home while we 4 looped by the White Rabbit back to Upton where we parted having had a lovely social outing. Just my usual route home on my own to finish this one off. 43 smiles

Mike_P

Guru
Seventh outing for the ebike today in six days.

Monday saw a minimal assist trip to Sainsburys and back with the result of the dreaded amber low battery warning light showing by the end of the ride. Also a near miss with a dog on the decent of showground hill.

Tuesday with a topped up battery the same outbound route was then varied by heading south west to a M&S Simply Food where for the first time in ages I found a Free From Apple Pie:hungry:

Wednesday back on work duties in the morning, this time due to having to go down ridiculously narrow lanes to the west of Killinghall. Even on the ebike I came to a halt as a tractor with the appropriate attachment was cutting a lane side hedge however the tractor driver then pulled over enough so that I could just squeeze past:okay: Completely forgot on the return and a tractor blocked lane once again; so a quick U turn and out onto the A61 via an even narrower road with a blind S bend on it. Also a quick outing to the Post Office at lunchtime.

Thursday and another trip to Sainsburys - this time outbound via a route to the west of Harrogate town centre complete with an a very acute angled turn sharply uphill where as luck would have it my turn was at precisely the same time as a car heading the other way so just managed to stay on the correct side of the route and equally corrected the turn before saying hello to the kerb. On the return their was one long traffic jam resulting from a set of TTLs outside Asda which neatly related to the start of a cyclepath; not one I normally use in this direction as it skilfully dumps you in the no mans land area of a traffic light controlled junction but the stationary traffic made that not an issue, and then down side streets to almost miss the TTLs - came out in mid section with no TL to control the exit but no vehicles moving.

Friday and a trip to Asda resulted in the ebike being wheeled pass the TTLs while on the return opted for the "No Cycling" level footbridge over the railway in a cutting, of which notice scant regard was given.

Today, Morrisons and with a battery looking a touch low little assist used and more use of those normally ignored larger cogs; the wind was something as I headed north on a levelish road and found myself one cog off granny gear.

In total 50.01 miles and 3256ft of upwards roads.

While Mrs DCB took our current dog-sit to Widgery Cross, I took the Scott for a blast up to Okehampton Station and back from Lydford.
Cold. However, driving out of Tavistock, reading 2C, as we climbed out of town, the temperature zipped up to 9.5C in as many seconds. Inversion of some sort their, methinks...I was, however, dressed for the 2C...oh well.
Uneventful riding northbound, not many about, but more cyclists than I expected at 10am. Stopped and took pics at Okehampton Station, then began the southbound leg. Far more cyclists. An event maybe? Anyhow, many cheery greetings, which was nice.
Ready.

The Gateway to the Granite Way.

Station looking east.

And west.

Platform detail.

Ready to return.

One sour note: by the time I got back, it was obvious that their was a cycling event of some kind going on. There were cyclists everywhere.
Driving back into Tavistock, we'd just crested the hill to the south of Mucky Duck, heading toward Brentor. Three older cyclists grinding up the hill toward us. This is an average two-lane country road, not narrow, 60 limit. I had the cruise set at 45, had probably exceeded that a bit as the downslope took effect, but no more than 50mph, tops. As we passed, the guy on the outside of the other two waved his fist at me angrily as if I shouldn't be there, or something. We weren't within a dozen feet of him, let alone the others, at any point. Mrs DCB was exceedingly unimpressed...
In other news, the 16.09 miles clocked up took me over the 500 for this year, a total I wasn't sure I would reach after the damned back surgery, which is, unfortunately, an ongoing tale.
Stats:

And I didn't end up too warm either, so all good.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Tandem ride to Wallington Hall with Mrs A_T for her birthday afternoon tea, via Scots Gap... we had a fast ride with a tail wind home so 39 miles overall at 15mph average! Got caught in heavy rain shower for a couple of minutes just as we got ready to ride homebut blue sky for the rest!

Attachments

• BKHS+fohSf2goZiWNLuIUw.jpg
    BKHS+fohSf2goZiWNLuIUw.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Top Bottom