Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Not a big big ride, I've been walking far more than cycling recently, but I fancied a little change today so I headed out on the tourer to get the shopping.
I rode the 2 miles or so into Letchworth, pottered about the shops, then rode to the next town (Hitchin, 2 miles away) and did a bit more shopping, filling the pannier with vittels and some booze. I went for a couple of pints at a nice pub, and I rode home.
Just 6 miles, but a lovely afternoon out.
20201010_184123.jpg

20201010_211054.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Today a return to the homestead was slated to do a bit of work. The weather looked variable but I wanted to ride if at all possible; both to make the most of the opportunities I have remaining (due to degrading weather and impending change in location :sad: ) and for all the usual reasons you'd choose to take the bike over the car.

I set off on the mud-splatted CdF through town to visit a cashpoint, finding the chain was squeaking noticeably, presumably due to the wet mud encountered on the last ride. Thankfully I had some time in hand so nursed it back to (what I can only call for the next 6 wks) "home", pulled off the chain, dry-brushed the mud off it and the chainset, gave it a good wax and slung it back on again.

My 18-month old Mp3 player has just become a fairly expensive paperweight so I had no tunes for the ride back, but since I'm used to reduced external aural input I thought I'd try some earplugs instead (I can sense the handwringing from the anti-earphones brigade already :whistle:). This actually made the ride incredibly pleasant; with only the muted wind noise, my own laboured breathing (thanks to yesterday's consumption of loads of stuff I shouldn't have) and the sound of the occasional passing car. They didn't really blunt my awareness that much, but certainly filtered out a lot of the general noise and made the ride so peaceful :smile:

Unfortunately I'd only got maybe 8 miles in and it started to rain; light drizzle at first but getting gradually heavier until I had to stop to don my (not any more) "waterproof" jacket and deploy the rucksack's rain cover. I rode along the dual carriageway for the majority of its passage through Yarton and Begbroke as it genuinely feels safer than crossing the sideroads with their appalling visibility :rolleyes:

The stretch of cycle track from Woodstock afforded a little shelter from the rain, but was pretty trecherous thanks to the slippery muddy patches which felt decidely sketchy on the fat slick tyres, so progress was slow and careful with minimal steering input. I definitely need to refit the WTBs / something more knobbly, but really want to do this with a 2nd wheelset..

Emerging from the other end of the track the rain abated and I got some nice blue sky; removing the waterproof to allow my base layer to dry off a bit in the sun and surprisingly warm breeze. I got hit again by the rain again later on but it was much lighter and less of an issue.

Despite it being a fairly short, low intensity ride I was still pretty knackered by the end of it; probably due to a combination of Thursday night's high intensity mental health thrash (that saw me nearly cop a bat to the face on a dark tow path!) and yesterday's sustained consumption of many things I know to disagree with me. It was also into a decent headwind and also uphill, which never helps!

All in all about 26 miles and 950ft at 13.5mph and 132bpm. Not the most pleasant ride in the world but I feel physically (and probably mentally) better for it, as well as virtuous as the round trip will have prevented another five litres / six quid's worth of finite resources being turned into air pollution in my name. I've got the job done which is another few quid in the kitty and it all feels like a very welcome, if tiny bit of constructive action.

All being well I'll make the return journey tomorrow; the weather's looking pretty promising so far according to the forcast :smile:

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was bright and breezy this morning and for a change I decided to make a route up as I went along. Started off to Loppington and soon decided it was windy rather than breezy and turned into the wind to English Frankton, Cockshutt crossing the road and back onto lanes to Lower Hordley, Bagley, Stanwardine where the rain showers started, into Baschuch, past Adcote school to Grafton, Yeaton, Old Woods, Myddlewood turning onto what is normally a fast stretch of road but today was into the wind and slow, turned to Burlton, towards Myddle, Nonely, Commonwood, back to Loppington, Horton and back home. The showers were quite heavy in places but no rain at all and dry roads in between so didn’t get too wet. Not many people out out again and managed to avoid the maize harvesting contractors whose mission is to get the job done as quickly as possible with their huge tractors and trailers which fill the whole lane. 34.84 miles @15.5 mph.

geocycle

Legendary Member
At last I had time and some great cycling weather on the same day! Went up the western Dale. First Lonsdale with great views across to Ingleborough, then up the Lune to near Sedbergh. Picked up the tiny gated road that runs along the southern side of Dentdale. Beautiful colours, very muddy roads but no one about. From Dent up the hill at Gawthrop, the 20% sections were challenging But worth it as you then ente the cycling paradise of Barbondale. The long decent was fantasti and unimpeded by cars. Late lunch in Kirby Lonsdale and home. 55 miles with 1200m of climbing. A good test for the new wheels and tyres. Photos are Barbondale, overlooking Sedbergh and the start of Garsdale before entering Dentdale, looking across from Arkholme to Ingleborough.

Old jon

Guru
Last Friday's ride first, I was well short of time when I reached home.

A bit showery this morning, gives me the chance to try out my new jacket. Someone had suggested a similar ride to the one I did last Friday so off I went to Scarcroft.

I think it is Thorner Lane out of there, which, oddly, does not reach Thorner. It does reach Milner Lane though. Ride along that for a bit, onto Holme Farm Lane and it is straight on to Bramham. A right and a left to ride past the allotments there, puffing a bit, and the left turn for the road down to Clifford. Down Main Street and continue to the local bit of the A659.

Turn right, the next left is Newton Kyme, a bit of a maze to the track to the bridge over the Wharfe. Tockwith is the most northerly bit of this ride, pedalling through Thorp Arch, Walton, Wighill and Bickerton to reach it, mostly with a tailwind. The route then goes more or less eastwards to Long Marston, bending towards the south on the way through a list of villages to Askham Richard. And a fuel stop.

Start again, riding almost as far as the A64 before turning right onto the road to Bilbrough. We must have turned left in there, to cross the A64 and pass Colton on the way to Bolton Percy. Tadcaster next, leaving there on the road towards Stutton. It is a well decorated route from there to Bramham, trees in many colours, patchwork fields. Thank you Autumn!

Take the right hand fork at Wothersome, after a bit of huffing and puffing we reached the top of the world road, a.k.a. Milner Lane. An all too short ride along there and the descent to Scarcroft. Yup, where the ride started. More miles seemed a good idea, so up that road beside the golf course, poor legs. It levels out soon, mostly, to Wike Ridge Road and the left turn to Slaid Hill.

And a happily downhill ride for me, past the Oakwood Clock and across the Aire to reach home. Just sixty miles and two thousand seven hundred upness. Got to grin!

09102020.jpg

0910elev.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wonderful chilly but sunny afternoon feat. 35 flat miles en tandem with the lovely Mrs Tuesday.

Now up to 1500 miles for the year* - I've never counted before, but that's a record by a country mile and one of the rare benefits of the pandemic.

Here's the River Dane near Swettenham, swollen in the sunshine like a lazy fat cat.

*just on the tandem, that is

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
With last weekend being a near wash out today it was time for an Imperial ton for the monthly challenge the slight glitch in the plan is I had roughly organized an informal cafe ride so I had formed a cunning plan . Delay the start of the cafe ride allowing me to get some early miles in. Out the door at first light at 0720 , headed away from the cafe meeting point at Market Bosworth and did my standard 50km loop to Wymeswold back to my own village before heading towards Market Bosworth a slightly extended route saw me roll in with 48 miles in the bag the cafe ride was 40 and 12 home and distance sorted . Found @Noodle Legs waiting then @Supersuperleeds walk up they been standing yards apart and not seen each other . A check of my phone and unfortunately @tallliman wasn't going to make it he had done a mini tour Friday and Saturday . So off we go heading out on the quiet lanes around Bosworth , we came across a closed road but we knew a way round soon back on route through Measham on to a horrible rolling road to Overseal and out to the cafe at Rosliston a new one to us the honey pot ( formally the bed hive ). It was quite busy and queuing do to covid rules but food was soon delivered and we were tucking in to a proper doorstep sausage sandwichs . @Noodle Legs went for bacon which was more like a gammon steak we will be back . Soon we had a visit from @Lilliburlero who had arranged to meet us really nice to catch up as he's lost his cycling mojo so hasn't riden with us for a while. Back on the bike and we all feel cold so the paced seemed to pick up as we headed back to Market Bosworth . Despite me stated no racing up the long drag up No man's heath @Supersuperleeds couldn't help himself not bad for someone who thinks he's lost his fitness. Thankfully I'd plotted a route around Orton on the hill so a fairly flat route back to Market Bosworth . @Noodle Legs started doing and figured out he could get an metric ton in with an extended ride home . The 3 of us rode to Kirby Muxloe where @Supersuperleeds headed home me and @Noodle Legs ride another 2 miles where we parted company leaving me solo for the last 4 miles . Home with 101 miles in the bag in 6hrs 23mins . @Supersuperleeds also did a imperial ton with 102 his 2nd in a week like the @Supersuperleeds of previous years ,@Noodle Legs got his metric ton in with 66 miles . A great ride in good company and pretty decent conditions for October bit chilly to start but soon warmed up and I was probably over dressed . Really nice to see @Lilliburlero again hopefully we will be out riding some time soon

Old jon

Guru
And, on time, the ride today . . .

Another bright morning, forecast to be dry if it can be believed. I did! Take the Spa out for its ninth ride, someone had asked for a ride to Tancred.

So after riding to Slaid Hill, Wike Ridge Lane leads to East Keswick, the uphill village. Onwards to the first bit of the A659 today, and turn right for Collingham. Linton on the left and then Wetherby. For a change, Deighton Road north to Walshford and an interesting ride out to Whixley, some bits of it I could remember but a lot has changed around there.

Zigzagging follows Whixley, not a village, just the way to Tancred Farm Shop. The connection had totally passed me by, we were on a shopping trip! But I had neglected to bring a pannier or two, so a sandwich and the best coffee I have had in a while was what I settled for. It was a bit chilly out there, and the young bullocks seemed determined to lick the bikes to pieces.

So we rode away. And warmed up too. Almost due south to Cattal, and further on the same up and down road to Bickerton and the Thorp Arch estate. There is a good bike path out of there, across the Wharfe to Newton Kyme and then another short stretch of the A659. Soon turn left from that, heading for Clifford, this time riding all the way up Main Street.

Bramham next, and a little shortcut with a rather steep hill, a flyover the A1_M and along Thorner Road. The right hand fork at Wothersome is the quieter option, methinks, and it does lead to Milner Lane, an excellent lane indeed. There is often the temptation to turn left onto the A58 in Scarcroft, but that is a weary grind of a hill. So back at the side of the golf course, on to Slaid Hill and a full circle ride really.

With a tangle here and there, just looked at the map again. Easy home from here, gradients in the best direction. Fifty three miles after leaving home I had returned, and 2600 feet of climbing. Well earned a smile, that did.

two dimensional doodling again

11102020.jpg

1110elev.jpg

KingswayRider

Über Member
Following the washout last weekend, with rain stopping play, I had in mind a couple of rides this weekend to help catch up on the mileage. Our dog decided that I don't actually need to sleep, shuffling about & keeping me awake as a result...so I figured what the hell & my Saturday early start became a very early start. Out of the house at 5.50am into very chilly conditions (5 degrees). Pitch black lanes a few miles down the road, but at least the wind was light at this point (although it was a tailwind at this stage). The wind didn't take long to pick up & I was soon riding straight into it. I was doing my best to keep up the pace, but conscious that I wasn't adding much to overall ascent. With 50 miles done & only 400m of ascent I knew the next miles were going to hurt, adding more than double that by the time I was home. 76 miles & 912m ascent - feeling far harder than it should (normally comfortable with more distance & ascent). Lesson learnt...flip the route & it would have been an easier prospect...front load the bulk of the climbing & take advantage of the tailwind.
This morning was a bit warmer & the start not nearly so early. Out for a loop before the start of the club ride & the legs were definitely feeling yesterdays effort. They were going round, but felt flat when I demanded a bit of power. Knocked in 23 miles at a 17mph average before returning for the start of the club ride. No @Donger this morning, but with 6 of us still out, it meant to need to split the group. A nice spin out with a couple of warm up climbs to Uley, before taking on the long drag to Kingscote. Unrelenting climb & legs still just going round without anything really happening, but at the top they seemed to wake up & the little ups around Bagpath were despatched much more easily. Long long wait for a cuppa at Thistledown cafe - over 20 minutes before we prompted & drinks arrived just as we were getting up to leave (a good 30+ minutes from ordering). Fortunately dodged the very localised downpour & arrived home with 65 miles / 787m ascent done. Legs feel much better than they did yesterday.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
got the rebuilt winter bike out today as it was chilly and muddy for the usual sunday club ride .
mate had to turn back even before the meeting point as his freehub was not engaging , he went home for a spare and met us at the cake stop .
Found out my back brake was binding most of the time just before the cake stop , i though i was just having a bad day ! and another rider had a flat so not a good day for mechanicals.
My edge touring plus keeps getting route calculation error which has me stumped too, wishing i had kept my 520 plus tbh even though it was small but mrs ck needed new glasses so i had to sell it :sad:
1602438997632.png

1602439030803.png

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_111531103_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201011_111531103_HDR.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201011_105729052_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20201011_105729052_BURST001.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Andy G came up from the Forest for this one. We took the run around the Hills for Longley Green. A rogue unforecast shower had us a bit concerned but we continued to climb to Acton Green as blue sky took over. At Panks Bridge we turned northward for the series of climbs that would take us to the summit of Hegdon Hill. Today the views were stunning north to the Clee Hills and beyond, south to the Forest of Dean, Skirrid and the Black Mountains with the Welsh Marches to the west completing a wonderous panorama. We dropped away for Stoke Prior and took to little known lanes for Ivington and Dilwyn. Sarnies were dispatched on the green in Dilwyn. More new lanes lead us to the wonderful village of Weobley where we paused to enjoy the sights. Onward by the Pyons we rode through Wellington to cross the A49 for a fairly standard run through Sutton-St-Nicholas and Withington. We jinked around the main roads for Yarkhill and Canon Frome. Now it was Bosbury with its massive but detached church tower. Our final challenge was to climb the Wyche leaving just the descent home for a cup of tea some biccies and a chat. Lovely outing today for sure. 77 smiles

Attachments

• P1010685.JPG
    P1010685.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010686.JPG
    P1010686.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010687.JPG
    P1010687.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 3
  • P1010688.JPG
    P1010688.JPG