Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Another cold but calm evening for a ride, this time with @Rickshaw Phil.

Decided on a route that I’ve not done since before the first lockdown, as we went through a couple of local estates and then up the cycle paths to Heathgates. Rather hilariously we had a prat on a bike mutter something to us, which Phil thought was about us cycling side by side, despite us having moved into single file before we’d even got anywhere near him, and was rich coming from someone riding without any lights, whilst cycling in the pedestrian lane:rolleyes:. Best to just ignore that sort.

Traffic was rather busy through Sundorne estate, but we then left it behind, along the old canal path for a short while, before joining the roads to Uffington, Upton Magna, Berwick Wharf and Atcham. Didn’t have a single car pass us on the rat run and can’t remember the last time that happened.

Final section was up Chilton Lane, then the climb up towards King St and through Betton Abbots to the traffic lights, where we parted ways.

15.52 miles.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As above ^^^ a nice after-dark ride with @gavgav taking in some roads I haven't ridden in quite a while. The guy muttering about us riding two abreast might have carried a bit more weight if he hadn't been dressed in black and riding an unlit bike.:wacko:

The lanes were generally pretty quiet and we seemed to have missed the rush on most of the busier country roads too, which was good and allowed us plenty of time to chat while we rode. At Atcham I had a play with the night setting on my phone camera but the pics have come out a bit rubbish so I won't inflict those on you.:shy:

After parting from Gav I took a longer way home ending up with 19.98 miles on the clock (should have gone down to the next junction and back to round that up :laugh:) and 11.3 mph average.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A different CX ride today and to the east of Ipswich. I detoured off to Nacton Shores. And I'm rather pleased I did ...

P1010375.JPG

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I got the original stainless steel mudguards and rack out from the garage and put them back on my Dawes Lightning for the winter and went out for a quick check to make sure nothing's rattling... I'd forgotten it still had all the Dawes sales stickers on it, and the LBS label on the frame... with the old Workington 4 digit number for The New Bike Shop [new in 1982!].
IMG_1066.jpeg

IMG_1067.jpeg

IMG_1068.jpeg

IMG_1069.jpeg

Down to the shops for pastries and an egg custard for tea!

Last edited:

footloose crow

Über Member
26 Nov All things bright and beautiful

I used to have two KOMs on Strava. I set them up on the dead end lane leading to my house on the erroneous supposition that no one would challenge me on it. I was astonished to find that a number of local cyclists made a pilgrimage to this obscure muddy lane that goes nowhere but for eight months no one has been able to beat me. Until yesterday....

I have no idea why I am upset about it. It doesn't matter.

Far better to tell you about a bright, beautiful and extremely cold ride to Bodmin and back pursuing a 100k Audax tick.

I try and stay in the present moment when cycling and not think about how far the next hill is, when I can stop for a rest and how much further it is to go. I set the Wahoo to just give me gradient and speed. There is enough to think about with frosty puddles glinting and hinting at ice, thick layers of leaf litter across the lanes and as always, the ever pervasive mud tracked off the field entrances and up the lanes. In the shaded valley floors the temperature is close to zero and my fingers start to numb but up on the hill tops, away from the trees, the sun's warmth has melted the frost and I can feel a warm solar touch on my back.

The lanes are quiet. Just the buzz of the tyres on the road, scoldings from disturbed magpies and the high pitched kee of a circling buzzard. The villages tick off. I use each as the next destination, not thinking beyond it. I tell myself just to get to the next village and see how you feel, see whether you want to keep going. Destinations follow each other: Tresillian, Probus, Grampound Road, Coombe. In between are the scattered farms and those isolated houses built for reasons that are not clear to me in places that make no sense. The small town of St Stephen arrives, gateway to the 'Clay Country', a landscape of working and abandoned clay quarries that creates a whitewashed moonscape that tourists never see.

Uphill now through Treviscoe and St Dennis, isolated hill villages dominated by mountains of waste from the clay mining. Down and then up to Roche, a brief scent of fresh pasty as I pass the bakery makes me feel hungry but I am not in the mood for stopping. On through narrow and then narrower lanes that twist and turn and climb and fall. Every bend is blind and I have to slow almost to a stop on each one because there are cars and some vans about, tradesmen moving around, tractors pulling trailers of silage and leaving the lane even dirtier than before. On through Bugle and past the food processing factory and outside the village are fields of static caravans for the Portuguese and Latvian workers who make up the majority of those working in that factory.

The sun is fully up now. Gloves removed. Just a base layer and windproof needed although under the trees and out of the sun I shiver.

Past Lanhydrock House, a National Trust property where you have to book a car park space in the week before the visit. So the roads leading to it are jammed with parked cars from people who haven't booked. Stubborn people the Cornish. Don't like change.

Onto the NCN trail through beech woods and across the special Sustrans bridge over the A30 and onto the dead leaf slippery and green mossed trail that leads into the town of Bodmin. Up a steep hill and then down. So Cornish this constant change of height and gradient. So hard to settle into a rhythm. Now the Camel Trail, busy with walkers and horses, gritty, leaf covered and extremely cold. All the frigid air from the Camel valley has settled on the trail. There is a layer of mist on the river alongside the trail and the grass and trees are white with frost even at mid day. I am pleased to see the sun again as I leave the trail and head up the hill beyond. The bike has gathered a layer of grit from the trail with a moustache on the head tube. It has jammed the mudguards which scrape and wheeze and I can feel the friction when I puff uphill. I look for puddles to wash it off but in contrast to the previous week when the lanes were wet and deep in water, today it is dry. I shake the guards to no avail. In the end I have to remove them and clean them out with my fingers. It is a sticky mixture of leaf litter, grit and clay. My next bike will have full length mudguards and proper fittings!

And more frame space, those tyres are a bit bigger than the manufacturer suggests is feasible.

A long uphill, longer than I remembered, takes me back to near Roche and then it is across Goss Moor on the old A30, now a cycle trail to Indian Queens, Fraddon and St Enoder where I take shelter from a biting NE wind in the church porch. Fifty miles done, fifteen to go. Time for a sandwich and drink.

On and on along back lanes, deep in mud and slippery so I need to be cautious. The villages tick off, Summercourt, Mitchell, uphill, down hill and then savagely uphill to St Newlyn East. I can see a cyclist ahead of me, the first one I have seen all day. He is wearing shorts and has bare arms. I am not especially warm with tights and layers and I cannot understand how he doesn't feel the cold, especially now the sun is sliding down across a clear November afternoon sky and the temperature is dropping. Slowly I reel him in, he gets ahead on the downhills as I am still on the uphill and then I catch up, each time a bit nearer. Just as I get close enough to speak to him, to find out what part of the Arctic he comes from, he turns off leaving me alone again. On to Zelah then and then across the A30, scurrying across the dual carriageway at a gap in the hedge to a farm lane opposite. Avoids a pointless and quite steep hill doing this.

It is definitely getting colder but I know the next few miles quite well and it is finally just the steep hill into Truro and up to my lane. The lane I used to have a KOM on. I continue to pretend not to be bothered - and then ride it as fast as I can.

But I am still 23 seconds off the pace of the new KOM. On a two minute segment that is too much of a gap to close.

Until next time..........

Or maybe wait unt the summer when the surface is dry.......

But no really, I am not bothered. No, it is really is not important. I can't believe someone cycled out of their way to grab it though. What kind of person gets bothered by a little crown on their Strava feed anyway?

I might have another go tomorrow....

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 17.37.09.png

colly

Re member eR
Nothing anywhere near as epic as @footloose crow.
Out early at about 5.15am. Mrs C and I were down for baby sitting duties and so if I wanted a ride today it had to be early. Just local loops and less than an hour. Even so I was happy to have taken the chance to stretch my legs.

10.7 miles and 730 ft

Edit: Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/59597659

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The rain passed through leaving a grey murky day. It was better out than in even with the wet roads. So a fairly good leg turner around the old White Rabbit loop (aka Tewkesbury/Twyning). The Red Rubies were on show on the left hand side today. 35 smiles
1606578641116.png

1606578662114.png

Landsurfer

Veteran
Last week was grim .... this week was even grimmer ....lol ...
I got up this morning to thick fog so off to the canal for safe off road riding .... or is it ?
The local roads are very low traffic density and the canal tarmac paths are covered in a layer of slippy leaf mulch.
Safe is a relative country .....
So relief from the usual pics of canals and more canals .... its Rotherham Industry Week.
Huzzah ! ..... ish ....

This is Ickles Steel Works with the Templebrough Bio-Mass power station in the background. Note the power station is running .... no wind for the windmills so it kicks in burning it's green bio-mass fuel ... Green wood pellets from the USA that travel across the Atlantic in bulk conveyor ships powered by bunker fuel .... basically tar ! Then from the port by HGV .... Green power in action .....:laugh:

This is Beetson Clarke glass works in the centre of Rotherham ... if you have ever had a brown medicine bottle in the UK it came from here ..

I park up by the canal in Rotherham town centre for my canal rides, next to this picturesque oil re-cycling and refinery plant ....

And a final look at Templebrough Bio-Mass power station, anti-cyclone over the UK, windmills stop and this "Green" power station kicks off.
Yes, it's better than burning coal for the air quality of the people of Rotherham, but we need to stop pretending that imported bio-mass is green !!

Old jon

Guru
Five degrees or over is warm enough to ride, but that mist outdoors had texture! Not quite as wet as rain, maybe . . .

A day to take the fixed out, I might forget how to ride it if it stays in the shed much longer. So a ride along three of Holbeck’s streets just to miss a right hand turn over four deserted lanes of Victoria Road. Sometimes I ought to engage the grey cell. Cross the river at Leeds Bridge, for a change and then up I go to Oakwood. Very quiet, a left turn to Moortown then right onto Harrogate Road. And after passing Leeds Grammar School turn left to go to Eccup Reservoir.

Turn left after the village (of Eccup) and head to Five Lane Ends and take the most right turn there, down to Golden Acre Park. Then ride up the eastern side of it to Kings Road. Time to descend again, to Bramhope and through there to the Dyneley Arms. It was more than a month since I rode the fixed down Pool Bank, I put that right this morning.

Stop at the solitary maypole in Otley, the shorter one is no longer there. A traffic cone sits over the hole that the pole once stood in. There is a current discussion about brewing coffee outdoors, which prompted me (domestic coffee making also needs to be better) to buy a couple of AeroPress devices. They work fine, the outdoor version needs a smaller cup. Oh, and my little thermos rattles in the bottle cage. Damn!

Leeds Road out of Otley is more, errrr, of a drag when there are no gears to change. But soon enough I am riding past the Dyneley Arms again on the way to Bramhope. And stay on the A660 all the way to Headingley and the right turn to reach the canal at Kirkstall.

Not yet midday and the towpath was not exactly quiet. Good to see active folk. Off the end of the canal for a swift jaunt through a bit of Hunslet before I can ride back to my front door. Thirty five miles and more than 1700 feet to smile about. Maybe not magic, but pretty close.

Geography and topography

29112020.jpg

2911elev.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Out into to very grey conditions at 0945 lights required Out doing a 50 mile loop but decided to do my standard loop in reverse . Anstey ,Swithland ,Barrow ,Prestwold ,Wymeswold ,Wartnaby . Here a young lady rider turned on to the road slightly in front on me and she wasn't hanging around I was just about keeping up but making no headway . Eventually she had to slow for some walkers and I caught her . She asked me where I was heading I replied Anstey and she said oh my dad's from Anstey and it turns out he was in the year below me at school . Chatting away I discovered she was a pro rider for Drops cycling ,April Tacey she signed a 2 year deal starting 2020 so far she done no races for them due to covid . On the next climb I dropped this pro rider :becool: ( she was riding 1 handed looking at her phone at the time :laugh: ) For the next 3 miles she ripped my legs off as I hung on to her wheel . Thankfully at Ratcliffe she turned off and I could relax ,note to myself don't try and keep up with pro riders your not that quick :surrender:. Home via Cossington ,Sileby and Swithland . 52 miles in the bag set a few Strava prs while being towed along . Just got in from washing the bike which was filthy

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
A 40 mile pootle up Beacon Fell near Garstang. Only 900m of up which is almost a flat ride around here. Spent all ride admiring the inside of a cloud, just about dry but really murky. The forest were really atmospheric. There is something about misty weather and pine forests that just works. The one big plus was no wind which is always a huge blessing. Surprised at how many were out cycling and walking, good to see. Enormous crowd at one farm doing cut your own Christmas tree. Apparently it is the first Sunday of advent which some use as the day to get a tree. I’m hoping not to have to bother!

Last edited:
Top Bottom