Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
A 40 mile pootle up Beacon Fell near Garstang. Only 900m of up which is a flat ride around here. Spent all ride admiring the inside of a cloud, just about dry but really murky. The forest were really atmospheric. The one big plus was no wind which is always a huge blessing. Surprised at how many were out cycling and walking, good to see. Enormous crowd at one farm doing cut your own Christmas tree. Apparently it is the first Sunday of advent which some use as the day to get a tree. I’m hoping not to have to bother!
I hope they where social distancing, wearing masks and dropping each other in the sheep dip before cutting their trees .... :laugh:

geocycle

Legendary Member
I hope they where social distancing, wearing masks and dropping each other in the sheep dip before cutting their trees .... :laugh:

I did wonder! I thought I was taking a risk heading to the virus infested south :whistle:

mikeIow

Guru
A 'regular' 30m run up to MILs whilst t'missus drives up.
Another test of the Wahoo Roam on a different route to normal......with a view to future adventures;)
It really is very, very good. Just need cycle.travel to get a simple means to send gpx directly to the Roam (on the list for them, I am told). Maybe I will need to invest in a RideWithGPS or similar to automate things....but I do like the cycle.travel route planning.

Bit mucky out there....had to rinse bike down before lobbing it in the boot.
Actually quite a nice temperature (didn't start until almost 11, mind you!!)

geocycle

Legendary Member
Another test of the Wahoo Roam on a different route to normal......with a view to future adventures;)
It really is very, very good. Just need cycle.travel to get a simple means to send gpx directly to the Roam (on the list for them, I am told). Maybe I will need to invest in a RideWithGPS or similar to automate things....but I do like the cycle.travel route planning.

Open cycle.travel in the browser on your phone, I use Chrome, download the gpx. Open the gpx into wahoo, send to device, job done.

13 rider

Guru
A 'regular' 30m run up to MILs whilst t'missus drives up.

Bit mucky out there....had to rinse bike down before lobbing it in the boot.
Actually quite a nice temperature (didn't start until almost 11, mind you!!)
The free version of Ridewithgps works fine with my wahoo bolt ,just link Ridewithgps in the wahoo app and the route loads direct onto the head unit

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Feeling flabby and unfit, so set out to prove it.

35ish miles and 1000ish metres of climbing, almost entirely in the cloud ensued. A slow slog fighting the condensation on my glasses, and torpor in my muscles, enlivened only by passing roadies overtaking at regular intervals.

Still, survived to tell the tale and sloth and gluttony confirmed.

Mike_P

Guru
Having been cleaned on Monday the Defy had obviously plotted to stay so as, on wheeling it out of its shed this morning for the first time since, it had a flat tyre. The hybrid consequently unearthed from beneath various booms and garden implements in the garden shed and a false start as I realised lights were amiss.

Quickly became apparent there was a distinct reluctance to drop onto the smaller of its triple chainwheel while the rear mech was socially distancing from the largest cogs. Took a looping initial route to climb a bit more gradually to Bilton and then over the railway; another looping route, on a mini scale, to gain height as the direct is up a flight of steps; I was slightly surprised to see a descending cyclist stop and walk his bike down them.

Shortly thereafter found the cycleway around the perimeter of the High School had at last been cleared of massive weeds that were seriously encroaching previously and on to the first destination, as a start of a third letter alphabet challenge, Starbeck which had been missed for the S and then the T.
Starbeck.jpg

The wheel depicts the history of Starbeck as being heavily involved in the railways; it was the original station for Harrogate and had loco sheds until 1959.

Headed south west initially encountering the pratt of the day who must have used up good litre or two of petrol over revving behind me. Another cycleway skilfully deposited me in the mist of queuing traffic for the recycling site, and then a brief encounter with the A661 en route to descend and, more noticeably, climb Rudding Lane. Joined the A658, a gradual climb before a steeper decent down to Buttersyke Bar roundabout with the A61. Straight across to the next destination, Huby – again not used previously although I did use an different Huby for the U of the second letter challenge.
Huby A658.jpg

Up the climb to Almscliffe Crag, depite the misty murky conditions there was the normal gathering of vehicles and people atop the crag presumably working out what they could not see.

Actually managed to gain some PRs on the route away from the Crag before turning north to another previously unused location, Beckwithshaw. Had to backtrack to the sign having flown pass without thinking initially.
Beckwithshaw.jpg

Took a loop off the Otley Road to cross over it at the new traffic light rather than risking them on the otherwise climb through them and then followed, slowly, a busy bridleway through the Pinewoods albeit the eastern part was a PR so it must have been really congested on previously encounters.

Three quarters of mile from home it started raining; 6 degrees but not that noticeably due to pretty non existent wind and there were a good few cyclists about. 21.76miles @ 11.2mph avg, 1585ft climbed.
291120 elevation.jpg

291120 route.jpg

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A bimble around Dartmoor today. Some of it was following the Devonport Leat. It was here that a naked rambler wandered by.... rucksack, socks and boots! I told hI’m that I thought I was underdressed in shorts and short sleeves!

up to what I think was Hart Tor, then I retraced my steps past the car, down to Dousland on the main road, then down to Meavy. I contemplated taking the ford, but I chickened out! Up the massive hill before me and my shadow had a decent into Sheepstor.

I then made the mistake of riding around Burrator. Busy, busy!!!

only 12 miles, but a sunny day here!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4406982602

Mr Celine

Discordian
Saturday's ride. I had to wait until the frost lifted, then discovered I couldn't find my overshoes. Eventually located, they wouldn't zip up as the last time they were worn must have been on a salty late winter ride and the zips had corroded solid. Ten minutes and some WD40 got them free. With all that faffing around it was nearly half two before I set off.
The summit of my ride was half way round and the sun was setting when I got there. The ascent was icy in patches but fortunately the sun had melted the descent, although it was very muddy due to free-range cows.

The map -
1606676627668.png

29.1 miles @ 13.1mph 515m up.

gavgav

Guru
Out for a short morning ride around Shrewsbury, on a completely calm but cloudy day.

Route was through Sutton Farm, Reabrook and Castlefields, down to the River, where Sydney Avenue was heaving with people, heading to the weir to watch the leaping Salmon.

The towpath was almost as bad and the Quarry, necessitating slow and weaving progress through the hordes. It thinned out, after I crossed Porthill Bridge and continued on to Shelton, Copthorne, Radbrook, Nobold and Meole Brace.

Home with 13.12 miles on the clock.

AndreaJ

Veteran
A murky damp sort of morning although it wasn’t raining everywhere was wet and after waiting to see what time a parcel I was expecting would be delivered there was time for a longer ride if I was quick. After the first attempt to go I decided to get my lights then half way down the lane realised that I didn’t have my drink so back again and off at the 3rd attempt. Started out to Northwood where I turned to Bettisfield, Breadon Heath, Welshampton, through the mud to Ellesmere passing a car parked/crashed in the hedge. Met the first cars of the day in Ellesmere and I went over the canal to Lee finding a hedge cutter blocking the lane, trying to avoid the biggest sharp looking bits he pulled over to let me past and I found another hedge cutter a few miles further along, this one had covered the lane in big, sharp looking bits so just hoped for the best and kept going to Bagley, Weston Lullingfields over to Baschurch, Eyton, Myddlewood down to Marton, Burlton through to Loppington, a short detour to Brown Heath, Wolverley and home. Bike is filthy again but tyres somehow didn’t pick up any thorns. 32.41 miles, lots of people out today.

KingswayRider

Über Member
I decided on something a little different today, then managed to set off without uploading the route...so it was navigating from memory & having to look at the map on my garmin.
Set off into cold, gloomy but clear conditions & quickly rattled off the easy opening section - out across the canal & through to Epney (short way), then Saul, the little lane through Fretherne & back into Frampton, then Eastington, Frocester & King Stanley. Now the fun begins...up through Middleyard & onto the Selsley climb, taking the left turn just by the top, to drop back down to North Woodchester. Sharp little climb to get to South Woodchester, then join the main road to Nailsworth. Take Pike Lane towards Shortwood (a short steep climb I know @Donger will be absolutely delighted to avoid), then a sharp left to climb towards Horsley, before coming back down the hill past Ruskin Mill & the edge of Nailsworth.
Out towards Avening, then left at Gatcombe Water to climb to Minchinhampton, drop a little way to Box then another short sharp up to join the main road to the top of the common.
At this point I'd intended to do a loop on the top of the common, but with thick fog up there, I decided it was safer to just cut straight across. Down to Burleigh & definitely got a wrong turn...a narrow slippery path back to the correct road. The drop to Knapp Lane was challenging...very muddy in places, plenty of potholes to avoid, then the steep "unsuitable for motor vehicles" section. Once in Knapp Lane things went from bad to worse...steep, rough, very slippery & the first time I've wanted more than the 140mm rotors on the bike. I was actually looking for a place to ditch should I not be able to control the speed, have a big slide or meet something coming the other way. Reached the bottom in one piece...although slick 25's are not the best of tyres for that descent (I'd have been much happier on my full sus mtb).
Briefest of spells on the flat, before climbing once more to ride through Thrupp, back down to the edge of Stroud & another drag uphill, passing the police station, before turning off for the Vatch. This is another section that the terms "surfaced" & "road" can only be applied in the loosest of terms. Roadworks to patch up the climb to the Slad road, so slip & slither searching for traction, but got up cleanly. Pressed on up the climb & took a left turn, having seen a lane on the map...which turned out to be a rough muddy off-road track, so back down the hill into Stroud.
Having forgotten a chunk down towards Cam & having to skip a loop on Minchinhampton Common, I came to the realisation I was going to come up short on mileage...so in addition to the run home I had to squeeze in some minor detours & a loop at the end to hit the 100k.
63.7 miles & 4000ft of climbing, but the amount of climbing & tricky descents hindered my average speed - only 13.9mph

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The sky was the flattest of flat greys today in Gloucestershire, so no photos. I did a 27.9 mile bimble to test ride my new saddle, my new Cree front light and the newly replaced bottom bracket. A nice smooth ride. Plenty of cyclists and horses out there today between Quedgeley, Frampton and Arlingham. Tasteless giant inflatable Christmas decorations were being put up in Frampton. Other than that and one extremely lucky indecisive little squirrel that I only just managed to avoid, little to report.
Cheers, Donger.

KingswayRider

Über Member
The sky was the flattest of flat greys today in Gloucestershire, so no photos. I did a 27.9 mile bimble to test ride my new saddle, my new Cree front light and the newly replaced bottom bracket. A nice smooth ride. Plenty of cyclists and horses out there today between Quedgeley, Frampton and Arlingham. Tasteless giant inflatable Christmas decorations were being put up in Frampton. Other than that and one extremely lucky indecisive little squirrel that I only just managed to avoid, little to report.
Cheers, Donger.
You should have come out with me...the descent of Knapp Lane was very interesting , although not something I care to repeat anytime soon.
I'm sure you'd have loved all the climbing too...especially all those steep bits!!

Top Bottom