Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another bright sunny morning but much colder and frosty although it was slowly going when I set off. Started up towards The Moatshed turning to Horton to take a longer route to Loppington passing through the village to English Frankton having to stop while a daft woman decided to reverse across the lane without any hint of looking to check that there was nothing in her way carried on to Colemere along what is probably the worst lane in Shropshire to Lyneal, Welshampton over the road towards the school and then to Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. 21.50 miles on a lovely autumn morning even if it was a bit cold. Only one picture because my phone decided that it can’t possibly be expected to work in the cold.
E740FE37-48A8-4A2C-8AAD-CFAD6F72F167.jpeg

KingswayRider

Über Member
I rang the changes a little today, and took advantage of the light Sunday morning traffic to head out towards Stonehouse. There I hung a left into Horsemarling Lane to have another go at Moreton Hill. This is a brutal little climb up to Westrip that operates as a short cut to Cashes Green for massochists. It hits a hairpin and a rutted, muddy stretch near the top, eventually topping the hill in the woods on the far side of the white house in the top right-hand corner:
View attachment 559540
I'd been forced to dismount about 3/4 of the way up when I rode it for the first time with @KingswayRider earlier in the year and ended up admiring the view across the Severn Vale while I got my breath back. This time I set off full of vigour and determination..... Anyway, here's a photo from exactly the same spot!
View attachment 559541
There is a large rock at the side of the lane that made for a good viewing seat, and I had a nice little chat with an old boy who was out for a walk. A couple of Audax Club Bristol riders span their way past me, spotting my Audax UK sticker and saying hello as they passed. Then, as I carried on through the woods I had a chance meeting with an old work colleague out walking with her mum. She still works in the land of Mordor, and said she was jealous of my life of retired leisure. The descent down through Westrip is a dodgy one when the lane is muddy and covered in wet leaves. When I got down to the T junction where left is for Randwick and right is for Cashes Green, I took one look at the gradient and went right ...just like last time (sod that!):
View attachment 559542
After that, there was a fair bit more descending into Cashes Green before looping back home via Eastington, Frampton, Fretherne, Saul and Elmore. A really enjoyable, mostly leisurely ride out in glorious Autumn sunshine. 29.4 miles.
Cheers, Donger.
That rock is only halfway up!! It's not a bad climb, but the last time I rode it I was struggling for traction on that last section...it isn't really surfaced & a combination of loose gravel & wet leaves meant tempering power output & feeling for grip with each pedal stroke.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The airport loop [again] but the 'other way round' to avoid the direct southerly headwind as much as possible... getting quicker slowly- if that makes sense!

Lovely cold but dry day.
Should be a nice day again tomorrow so off out for a couple of hours [where to depends on the wind direction!] while Mrs A_T goes for a walk+talk with a friend who's just become a granny for the first time!

KingswayRider

Über Member
Early start yesterday, heading out into the pre-dawn not quite dark. It was chilly too...so had to balance the issue of wanting to press on to keep warm, against knowing you've many more miles to go & too much too soon is going to hurt later.
It's always nice to leave town behind in a matter of a few hundred yards & only a couple of miles down the road, with the sun still well below the horizon, I had a view across the Severn Valley from Brookthorpe. A beautiful sight, with the Severn clearly marked by a sinuous ribbon of mist. Press on & make use of various little lanes to make things more interesting than just main roads to reach Cheltenham.
Across town & another little detour around Prestbury before heading for Southam & beginning the climb up Cleeve Hill (tougher side compared to the more progressive climb from the Winchcombe side). Over the top, chilly descent to Winchcombe & on towards Stanton, then across to Wormington, Dumbleton & a loop up around the back of Grafton.
Through to Beckford, a brief dash down the A46, all the way round the roundabout & up to Conderton to do the little loop around Pigeon Lane. Told to "pi$$ off" by the old guy double parked with doors open, blocking my passage, when I asked to be through...I just wanted to be on my way & whilst there was a lot I'd like to have said, I just squeezed through as he shut a door & pushed on.
Another little loop at Kemerton, one at Northway, before yet another at Fiddington...requiring a dismount to get through gates at either side of a rail crossing. Onwards to the edge of Cheltenham, a little lane at Haydon, through Down Hatherley (caught at temporary lights) & Sandhurst before hitting Gloucester & running the traffic light challenge. Two roundabouts & ten sets of traffic lights...getting caught at 9 of the ten sets - killing any chance of being home for target time (missed my noon target by a few minutes). 76.58 miles, 884m ascent, 15.8mph average.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
By God, did I ever need to get out on a bike today! A sleepless night, constantly interrupted by presumably Covid, stress-related minor panic attacks. (Hadn't had anything like it in over thirty-five years.) Surprisingly chipper in the morning!
So, I took Pasty #2 The CX out to some bridleways and the sun came out. Serendipity.
This out near Akenham.

Claydon Bridleway 24.11.20.JPG

colly

Re member eR
Two rides to list:

The first on Sunday out to a pals place in Otley. Nice sunny day and not too cold but the ride was marred by an incident I came across as I was nearing Farnley.
A cyclist face down on the tarmac, not moving. Whatever had occurred must have happened just before I got there. 3 or 4 cars stopped people rushing out, people on the phone etc etc. Half a dozen people were attending to him and in a few mins he was coming round and sitting up. AQ few more minutes and he managed to stand but he was well wobbly. Talking to one of the helpers he said he needed to go to hospital and an ambulance was on the way.
I've no idea if a car was involved or maybe he had just caught his wheel in a rut at the edge of the road but it's a sobering sight seeing someone sprawled out like that.

Despite that it was a good ride and there and back it was 34 miles and a tad under 2400 ft of up.

The ride was recorded seeing as I had found my Garmin again. I'm sure this little someone

was responsible for it being in a wellington boot in the hallway.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/59411192

Second ride was this afternoon after I had finished some stuff I was working on. I didn't get out until 3pm which is not really a good time due to schools kicking out etc. Even so traffic was light and I just ambled about for a couple of hours as the light faded.
Good to get out.

36.4 miles and just over 2000ft

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/59503498

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Lovely bright calm day so out again- the longer Airport loop over Berwick Hill and into Newcastle for a change. 22 miles today... looking forward to a longer tandem ride on Friday with Mrs A_T.

First really close miss for many years: a white long wheel base Transit delivery van had passed me a minute earlier and pulled up onto the kerb ahead, indicating left at the side of the road so, as I rode up to him, I pulled out wide to pass him and slowed thinking he was going to fling open his door and leap out to make a delivery, but the driver decided to do a U-turn in the road instead just as I reached him. I know he didn't look back but he did check his door mirror because I was watching him which was why I thought he was going to unlatch his door to get out... just managed to stop in time. I heard two ladies on the pavement shout loudly as he turned broadside in front of me! They both told me they thought I was going to run into the side as he veered round, bounced up onto the pavement on the other side of the road, and shot off. I don't think he even realised I was there, complete with flashing front light and fluorescent yellow top, despite checking his mirror! Just shows it's always a good idea to watch the driver!

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We let the rain pass over before Jules H and I met up. We aimed for Bromsberrow to take the lane past St Mary's at Kempley then dodged over Gwynne's Hill. We were lined up for the lovely run along the Wye and a stop for a quick bite to eat on the bridge at Hole-in-the-Wall. The river was running deep and fast and a Cormorant decided to take to the air. Up the steep bank got us warmed up after our stop. We looped by Rudhall and Bromsash for Linton and the run back by Dymock where we saw Ben and Sheila F coming the other way. So we paused for a quick chat. Just the standard run back was left for us. As I rode the last couple of miles the sun dipped below the Hills. It had turned out to be a lovely day after that wet start. 64 smiles

gavgav

Guru
A chilly but calm evening, for a ride over to dad’s, to discuss the sacking of Sam Ricketts as Shrewsbury Town manager, today. We’re both season ticket holders and so enjoyed a good chinwag.

Decided to see what Lyth Hill was like, for the first time since January. Big mistake, as it was muddy and full of water, on the track, which necessitated free wheeling with feet in the air, to avoid getting wet. Wont be doing that route again until next summer!

Other than that, not much to report and an enjoyable 15.38 miles.

Old jon

Guru
Cold again this morning, but a dry forecast unlike yesterday. Rain I can do, cold I can do. But both together and I often wimp. Bob Jackson and me rode away.

Started about fifteen minutes earlier than my recent usual and the amount of traffic surprised me a bit. Soon recovered from that, by the time Oakwood was reached things were fair quiet again. Up the A58 to Red Hall Lane, which is followed by Skeltons Lane. Turn left to go to Thorner, Sandhills is the first bit of downhill for a while. I had intended to leave Thorner on Milner Lane, but a sign at the junction said the road was closed. Don’t recall any pavements along there, ride up Church Hill instead.

Towards Bramham by a slightly shorter route. Turn right, missing most of the village, and just before the traffic lights turn left. Village on the left, allotments on the right. The road bends away to the right and it is a mile and a half or so to the next junction. Turn right for more gently rolling country, straight on at the next crossroads and take the right hand choice at the next junction.

Already passed Red Brick Farm, and the road bends left at Jackdaw Crag Quarry. Neither business had generated any traffic on the road, which descends gently, parallel with the A64 until a bend to the right points the road, and me, at Stutton.

Reach the A162 and yet again turn right. Sherburn in Elmet via Towton and Barkston Ash. This is an odd road, anonymous might be a good word. It has fields and bits of woodland to either side, and a whole encyclopedia of history. But riding along it this morning, it just left an indelible blank on my mind.

Sherburn is better. The B1222 out of there going south west is good. Under the A1 M, a mile of less than good road surface and then the A63. Which these days is quiet. Pass Peckfield Bar and then down Garforth Cliff. Noticing at the top that the garden centre seems to be open.

The Wakefield road through Swillington leads to the bridges across the River Aire and then the Aire and Calder Navigation, and I turn right to ride the towpath on that. Pleasantly busy with walkers, two or three cyclists. The sun had warmed through the clouds. And then I am back in Leeds and the final mile or two out of forty this morning. Almost 1900 feet of upness, and a grin for the sight of my front door. Marvellous!

Scribblings by garthing . . .

26112020.jpg

2611elev.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
A fine winters day but a check of the diary had told it could not be taken off due to an afternoon virtual meeting:sad:

Still there was an awkward work related visit needed down the Wetherby Road which previously I had found to be 20 minutes quicker by the ebike than the petrol drinking vehicle and then there was another literally just up the road and round the corner:okay:

So out on the ebike and a couple of PRs acquired with one being a, joint, KOM.
On the return realised it was midday so lunch partly taken by continuing to Aldi.

Then after the meeting a work papers collection trip, lights aglow.

18.39 miles, 1190ft upwards

Last edited:
Decided to push it a bit today, for me, that is.
Off on the usual NCN 270/27, followed it to Sainsburys at Marsh Mills. Took the path around the front and continued down the Embankment toward the Plymouth Rowing Club, which was enough distance to get my year past 600 miles and my spotty records past 2000. Carried on, across Laira Bridge, until I got to the housing estate in a quarry above Plymstock.
Turned around, missed a turn, an added 300 yards or so, and headed back, stopping near the Rowing Club for a bar and hydration.
Cracked on, making good time/speed along the endless gentle upness that is the Plym Valley. Seemed to be getting harder and harder, though.
Seat post slipping.
Stopped at the southern end of the Shaugh Tunnel to sort it, was offerred help by a couple of guys, but by then I'd reset it. I'll be needing to look at it again at some point...
Very glad to get to the top of the ramp through Clearbrook, gave myself a break and gently spun that in 30/36. Then back on the level.
Decided to try and keep my average above 10 by going back down the A386 between Yelverton and Horrabridge, rejoining NCN27 at the bottom of the Leg O'Mutton path. Very fast in the light traffic, I didn't hold anyone up much! Wheeeee!
Stats:

Last edited:
Top Bottom