Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Jumping at the chance to take advantage of the Rule of Six today, I squeezed in a 25.6 mile night ride with @Dark46 and @KingswayRider, heading off out at 6.00pm into what would have been pitch black if it wasn't for a gorgeous full moon. Very happy with my new 960 lumens Cree front light, which I had on full power and solid beam for the whole ride. Even on all the little downhill bits where I normally get to freewheel at about 25mph the beam was plenty strong enough for me to see enough of the road ahead.

I was wearing my reflective emergency vest from the car, along with a reflective chequered band around my hat. I wore that years ago on the London to Brighton Night Ride, and I recall several people shouting "Watch out! Rozzers!" as I rode through Brixton after midnight! Whether other road users think I'm a copper or not, I have to say every driver we encountered tonight was extremely cautious and well-behaved around us ..... and at least three times, oncoming cars waited for us to pass before pulling out past parked cars. That almost never happens to me. Think I'll wear that every time I do a night ride from now on.

In Arlingham, as I called out to my mates, an automated device suddenly stated "Warning: You are being recorded!". Later in the ride, I have a feeling we were followed by the police helicopter too. Slightly disappointed not to see any nocturnal wildlife tonight, but nice to see the first Christmas lights in some of the Severnside villages. There's something really invigorating about riding in the dark, and the conditions were perfect for it tonight .... cool, but no frost or ice, and with dry (though in places muddy) roads. Great company. Loved it.
Cheers, Donger.

colly

Re member eR
An early ride out on fixed, round and about local lanes in the dark. I like riding in the dark for some reason. It was damp underfoot (wheel ?) when I set off but the rain had yet to set in so I think it simply hadn't dried up since the last time it rained. Not particularly cold, especially for a December morning. Not a slog, more of a bimble.

End to end it was 24.7 miles and about 1350 ft of upness.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/59848189

gavgav

Guru
I had an afternoon of annual leave booked, originally for Cricket Club annual dinner, which of course can’t happen in the current situation, but it enabled me to get out for a ride. It had rained all morning, but I checked the forecast and it looked dry until 4pm, so I set out just before 2 and hoped it was true.....

There was a strong west/south westerly wind, which made it tough going through Hook a Gate and Annscroft. I then turned towards Exfords Green and up towards Long Lane, having a moment when a woman came flying round the narrow lane, in her Chelsea Tractor and had to swerve to miss me. Stupid bat.

Long Lane is very open and I was heading directly into the wind, which made it a real slog. The next section up to Oaks is a fair climb and the Lane was covered in thick mud, making it a real battle. Also encountered one of the snobby Consultants from work, walking her dog and so I kept my head down and avoided any interaction there!

From Oaks I dropped down towards Pulverbatch, along another lane absolutely thick with mud, from the churned up verges. Tractors have made a real mess of lanes in Shropshire, recently.

The descent out of Pulverbatch is always fun and then I finally turned out of the wind, enjoying it being behind me for most of the remainder of the ride. The lanes around Wilderley and Picklescott area were full of mud and water, before I enjoyed the descent to Netley, speed being tempered slightly by having to pull in for an approaching lorry on the fastest section :sad:

As I reached Dorrington I had timed it just for school chucking out time, so was wary of mum’s just opening car doors without looking, as they tend to do.....and 1 did, with a shriek when they saw me!! It also started to rain here, about 45 minutes before forecast. I crossed the A49 and pressed on towards Condover, but the rain (and bits of Sleet) had got much heavier now, so I paused to don a waterproof jacket.

Remainder of the ride along Lyons Lane, through Betton Abbots and home, was a pretty miserable slog, getting thoroughly wet and having a very close pass from the same t*%t, in a boy racer Honda Civic, who gave me and Doug a similar pass, a few weeks ago. I recognised the number plate and will be dropping a report through to Operation Snap.

22.31 miles with 1281 ft of climbing at a slow 10.9 mph avg

Last edited:
I got a bit of overtime on Thursday, which is why I was able to cycle back in daylight:

20201203_132447.jpg

Xtracycle full of firewood...

On arriving at the apartment the Xtracycle was emptied and after a failed attempt to get all the wood shavings out of it, off we went in an attempt to compress all the errands I had into the next couple of hours.

First stop was the DIY shop. I'd ordered some parts for pickup which proved to be a mistake as they couldn't find them and then when they arrived they were not what I wanted, so I had to go and find the rest.

Then to one supermarket to feed that spawn of Satan, the smart phone, and on to the other to get food (why didn't I get the food at the first supermarket? Because I was already getting peopled out at this point so I wanted to shop in a familiar shop because it would be quicker).

20201203_144247.jpg

Xracycle enjoying the facilities. Plastic pipe is part of a project, and not as it may appear some kind of projectile based anti car device.

On reflection I realise I was on cycleways for much of the journey and never touched a busy road, although I did use several residential roads. Despite my complaining it turns out cycling is pretty easy here...

Old jon

Guru
Another blue sky morning, after a couple of days when swimming would have been more appropriate than cycling. But by ‘eck it were cold. Away I rode, on the Bob Jackson.

The first few predictable miles to the Oakwood Clock went by, and a route had not been thought of. Up to the Ring Road on the A58, keep on to Whin Moor Lane, oh dear, I’m heading for Slaid Hill! Take the next right, this takes me to Shadwell High Street, about half way down. Head back to the A58.

Through Scarcroft I was passed. One of those awkward passes, he was not moving much faster than me. Awkward? No, embarrassing. Once the road started climbing again, well, I was not going to pass him but maybe I should have. He turned left in Collingham and I rode happily on to Wetherby, anyway the roundabout just outside.

Where I turned right to ride up to Wattle Syke’s collection of roundabouts and headed on to Boston Spa. There is a right turn to Clifford on the outskirts, all the way along the sun was a nuisance. Once past the former convent the roadside trees were mostly enough to shade the worst of it. Bramham next, cross the A1 M on the way to Thorner. Ah! Wothersome Dip. It must be called that ‘cos the temperature dips, it certainly did this morning. And on the climb out of there I was passed again, not surprising, it is one of those difficult ones for me.

Thorner itself was quite busy, I gently wondered why. The place has one shop, sells sandwiches, and three pubs, all closed. Not exactly crowds of people around, two or three dozen. Most unusual, but I have a ride to finish. Sandhills next, this went easier than usual. Then Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane back to the A58 again but this time travelling towards Leeds.

Down the hill and turn right, up the little rise to Roundhay Park’s spare gates and through Oakwood again. All downhill now, but still f-f-f-freezing. Back over the River Aire and its not far to home now. I can almost (but not quite!) feel the heat of the shower. Off the main road and a bit of round the houses, front door in sight. Big smile for thirty two miles and almost 1800 feet of up. It was good to be riding.

The garthing produced these, of course, but there should be icicles . . .

05122020.jpg

Attachments

• 0512elev.jpg
    0512elev.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cold but sunny. So it was a day to keep moving. I took the fairly standard White Rabbit route except for a look at Longdon Marsh from Hillend. Signs of recent rain could be seen in waterlogged spots. The White Rabbit is still watching the world go by and the Red Rubies were on the little hill behind the church at Hill Croome. I added an extra loop or two at the end as a sort of cooldown. 39 smiles

1607185487368.png

1607185509581.png

1607185523695.png

1607185552488.png

As yesterday's snow and sleet gave way to a cold but beautiful dry early winter day I waited for any lingering frost or ice on the salted road to melt in the sun and set off on a very familiar local 21 mile loop. My route was Littleborough, Blackstone Edge (White House), Cragg Vale, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Walsden and back to Littleborough. I had something to collect from a shop in Hebden Bridge so took my pannier.
It felt good to get out and ride in such beautiful surroundings and view the effects of the first snowfall this winter.

Here are some pictures:
Blackstone Edge looking towards Littleborough and Rochdale.

House opposite the White House Pub (Blackstone Edge).

Icy Pub Car Park

Looking towards Ripponden and Yorkshire.

Looking towards Ripponden and West Yorkshire (still in Lancashire but only just as the border with Yorkshire is just a few hundred yards up the road.

Looking towards Cragg Vale on the long descent. Coming the other way from Mytholmroyd (as many CCers will know) is the longest continuous road climb in England.

Mike_P

Guru
Ebike out to acquire supplies for the Defy late this morning and quickly noted the battery a bit lower than I had thought even though its been detached and kept in the house between rides now the weather has turned. Assist off except when really needed going upwards. A rapid U turn needed as I was absent minded and missed the cycleway to Starbeck along the old railway. Once on the High Street turned for Spa Cycles and got the wrong road so another U turn.
It was unclear what sign applied, one asking to stay outside if another customer was on the shop, another asking for the bell to the be rung; the latter was the applicable as it turned out.
The return was elongated by visiting Morrisons whilst I was in the area and total confusion at the entrance; having queued customers across the frontage which resulted in inbound and outbound customers having to cross each other paths they had now, in the absence of any queuing, had decided to flip the sides of the entrance being used for inbound and outbound customers but without any clear signage:wacko:
The return made use of a cycle route I had found in the week that uses a short straight path between two cul-de-sacs with annoying Cyclists Dismount signs, obviously obeyed:whistle: 9.51miles .

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
As yesterday's snow and sleet gave way to a cold but beautiful dry early winter day I waited for any lingering frost or ice on the salted road to melt in the sun and set off on a very familiar local 21 mile loop. My route was Littleborough, Blackstone Edge (White House), Cragg Vale, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge, Todmorden, Walsden and back to Littleborough. I had something to collect from a shop in Hebden Bridge so took my pannier.
It felt good to get out and ride in such beautiful surroundings and view the effects of the first snowfall this winter.

Here are some pictures:
Blackstone Edge looking towards Littleborough and Rochdale.
View attachment 561757
House opposite the White House Pub (Blackstone Edge).
View attachment 561758
Icy Pub Car Park
View attachment 561759
Looking towards Ripponden and Yorkshire. View attachment 561764
Looking towards Ripponden and West Yorkshire (still in Lancashire but only just as the border with Yorkshire is just a few hundred yards up the road.
View attachment 561763
Looking towards Cragg Vale on the long descent. Coming the other way from Mytholmroyd (as many CCers will know) is the longest continuous road climb in England.
View attachment 561765
:okay:Bloody Brrrrr !

AndreaJ

Veteran
It had finally stopped raining here this morning but still cold so I decided to get the December ride done for the 50km a month challenge. Hoping for less mud I set off around Whixall turning to Fenns Bank, Fenns Wood across to Alkington before finding plenty of mud and a hedge cutter on the lane to Tilstock, successfully making it to Tilstock I turned back to Whixall in a hail shower on to Coton, Coton Wood, Prees Edstaston, Ryebank where my I noticed my back tyre was going flat. Luckily it had stopped raining and the sun was shining so I found an almost dry place in the sun to sort it out, unfortunately the bike was wet and filthy and it was cold, the half inch long blackthorn didn’t take long to find so once that was pulled out and tube changed I soon got going again. Took a while to warm up again as I headed to Horton, Loppington, Lyneal, Northwood and home.32.39 miles in a mix of rain, hail and sunshine.

IMG-20201206-WA0004.jpg

Two hour ride, on a beautiful, cold, sunny but unusually still, West Somerset Sunday morning on the old beast, including Christmas Card delivery to 10 houses across Watchet and Williton.

Above is the Mineral Line on return journey home from Watchet Harbour. Ride included coastal ride, edge of Exmoor ride, view of the Quantocks, and 5 minute catch up chats with a couple of friends when putting cards through their doors.

Off for two hour beach walk with Mrs TB and our dog now, then watch England hopefully beat the French (on record).

Great day.

bruce1530

Guru
Cold morning today - heavy frost and lots of ice - so didn’t leave til after 10, and stuck to the main roads. Even so, was a bit nervous - kept thinking of a similar trip a few years ago where I went through a puddle, didn’t realise it was ice underneath, and ended up getting B&B from the NHS...

But today’s trip was great. Plenty of layers, winter boots, merino socks.

From home, along the A78 coast road to Seamill, then Portencross. Stopped at the car park for a photo.

img_3802-jpg.jpg

View from Portencross, looking over the Firth of Clyde to Arran.

Back to the main road - didn’t risk the farm road today - there’s one section that’s fine when dry, but wouldn’t’ do it when wet or muddy. Along the A78 for a couple of miles, then down the bridleway towards Hunterston.

Past the power stations, and on to the end of the road. At this point I’m only about a mile from where I took the last photo. In the summer, I’d have taken the short cut path, but at this time of year it’d need a mtb.

img_3803-jpg.jpg

Again, spectacular views across to Arran.

Turned again back to the main road, Fairlie and Largs.

Take-away coffee and cake at the Green Shutters.

img_3805-jpg.jpg

img_3806-jpg.jpg

Ten minutes drinking coffee, watching the ferry and generally watching the world go by, then back home along the A78.

53 cold, but very pleasant, km.

1607264124820-png.png

Top Bottom