Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Another cold day dawned at minus 12 and after breakfast I donned my layers and sallied forth into another snowy adventure. The snow is still really powdery due to the low temperatures and I had no clue how far I'd get. The first kilometres soon fly by on compacted tracks, I'm running normal gravel tires at very low pressure and they're having no trouble finding grip in these conditions.

The local herd of Highland cattle are enjoying fresh hay laid out by the farmer, their long shaggy coats look warm in this winter landscape.

As I head deeper into the forest and less traversed trails, the going gets harder. The powdery snow is over 20 cm deep and low gear, high cadence effort gets me over the worst of it, but I still have a few moments were I bog down deep in the powder and have to get off and push.

After a sustained effort I arrive in Steddon and ride for a few hundred metres on tarmac and it feels fantastic. It's not too long and I'm back onto the snow and heading down towards the horse paddocks. There are a number of field's in the forest where a large number of horses are kept and the place is often busy with horse riders, but today it's just me and the horses.

A few hundred metres later and I'm down at the Hydro Electric Plant. There is an island in the middle of the river here and the Hydro plant bridges the river on one side of the island. The river normally slows and backs up here in front of the plant and in the cold weather it has mostly frozen over, quite a spectacular sight.

At the plant itself there are a couple of workers using a high pressure hose to try and defrost the ice blocking the grates that normally let the water through. There are some amazing ice formations on the steel work all around.

On the other side of the island, I cross over the lock gates back to the mainland. The view back up the river is no less spectacular than on the other side of the island.

I start to head back up towards home and the first kilometres are back on compacted tracks. I'm soon flying along the compacted snow on the tracks and my legs are glad over the easier workload. After Hamburhen I elected to stay on the main track rather than divert deeper into the forest, the snow is too deep and powdery and I don't have a spare fatbike in my back pocket. The way is still hard going though and I'm being bounced around on the frozen ground, progress slowing.

After nearly 2 hours I'm back home for a hot coffee after 24km of riding on a perfect winters day. It looks like we may only have a few more days of sub zero temperatures, so this may be my last snowy ride this year.

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
The last few days I've been out on Patsy #3 The Hybrid for local rides, because she's the one that has flat bars and, temporarily, the studded tyres. The ice has been 'tricky', but that's part of the fun - reacquiring extreme handling skills that boosts the confidence. I made a slight detour to take this of Rushmere Heath, with families out for fun and perhaps a welcome bit of normality and sanity.

P1010609.JPG

stoatsngroats

Legendary Member
No outside cycling for me this week, isolating and wfh have got in the way.
I bought some rollers, which arrived on Tuesday, and with a few short rides in the garage, I’m getting the hang of it.
It surprises me that I’ve found the rollers quite hard going, when compared to my 30 outdoor miles, and I’m struggling at this early stage to do more than 10 minutes at a time, so they are definitely worth the effort.
I’m certain I can extend the time on them, but, with the normal things requiring to be done, I’m happy to do this in short blocks.
I’m maintaining my daily Apple Watch goals, and I’m on day 35 consecutive completions so far, my best concentrated effort since late 2016.
No images from the garage, so here’s one I made earlier this year!
8359C5A2-B831-4181-8E92-3FB9C6EA8822.jpeg

colly

Re member eR
I had promised a visit to see two of my grandchildren and promises like that simply can not be broken.
Out the door and on the road for around 11am and into a strong SE wind. Out through Cross Gates and then south at Colton to pass the edge of the Temple Newsam Estate. I crossed the Aire and the Aire and Calder Canal at Woodlesford.
Up through what passes for the high street and then I took the Methley Road towards Casvegas.
It's flat along to Methley and flat after into Cas. Flat but exposed, and the wind let me know all about it. Whitwood, and Cutsyke arrived shortly after and I made it into Featherstone from the north. To my son's home.
After tea, a biscuit, a game of football and a play inside it was time to get off back towards home. A short visit but an important one.

Same route back home but thankfully with a tail wind.

31.5 miles and 1740 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62575954

Last edited:
it was a brisk 25F when I got out yesterday for just under 20 miles on the paved & plowed trail near me
ACTP1005.JPG

ACTP0980 small.JPG

a decent workout on a studded hybrid
ACTP0023 small.JPG

the pond at the 1/2 way turn around is good & frozen. many ppl ice fishing & skating. they brought shovels to clear skating patches. tried riding on it but it was too bumpy. I guess they don't plow it
IMG_6341.jpg

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My ride was fine until 20 miles when I found a tawny owl in the road. I circled back and found it dead, so placed behind a bush so it didn't get squashed. Didn't have the desire to carry on after that so straight home.

stoatsngroats

Legendary Member
Sometimes motivation to cycle can be hard, when it’s windy and cold particularly, or wet of course.
I have been encouraged by Apple Watch this year, and I have to say, for me it has been a great help.
I managed to get out for just a short ride today, 9 miles along to Bognor, to post some letters, passing many postboxes, just so I could get the distance, and based on limited time away as things to do at home.

with the rollers in the garage recently purchased and measuring the walking I do around the house, I’ve managed to do 35 consecutive days minimum exercise of 30 minutes each day.
Maybe not much for some here, but it’s a great start to 2021.
So a couple of images from today’s local ride....
BE7C4C53-13A8-416A-BD63-FD8AACA74636.jpeg

98930359-E1CA-469F-AD0D-FA95FBEE1362.jpeg

Whatever you can do to grow your motivation is good, so keep it up if you can!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sometimes motivation to cycle can be hard, when it’s windy and cold particularly, or wet of course.
I have been encouraged by Apple Watch this year, and I have to say, for me it has been a great help.
I managed to get out for just a short ride today, 9 miles along to Bognor, to post some letters, passing many postboxes, just so I could get the distance, and based on limited time away as things to do at home.

with the rollers in the garage recently purchased and measuring the walking I do around the house, I’ve managed to do 35 consecutive days minimum exercise of 30 minutes each day.
Maybe not much for some here, but it’s a great start to 2021.
So a couple of images from today’s local ride....
View attachment 573929
View attachment 573930
Whatever you can do to grow your motivation is good, so keep it up if you can!
trying to motivate myself to go out although its blowing a hooley so probably going to turbo it

Top Bottom