Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s right Richard, an interesting little walk with several information boards along the way detailing the 1461 battle.

Indeed there are!!
This might be of interest to you? http://www.tadhistory.org.uk/OLRTAP/index.html

And, possibly these?

August 2018

The 'OLR' descent to Cock Beck
All 3 below, are also Augst 2018

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6498579

Old jon

Guru
The promise of five fat juicy degrees of warmth (?) this morning made certain I would be riding. The sun was shining, the breeze was waving tree branches around gently, all is well with the morning. Take the Spa again and pedal off.

Another visit to Otley was the intended ride, not been there since the first of the year. So, away towards Holbeck, forgotten that Jack Lane was closed. Sort of automatically stayed on the main drag, under the arches and there is City Square. Looks like I am giving the towpath a miss today. Turn left and ride to Kirkstall Road, noting for the first time that Kirkstall Brewery is actually in Burley. To confuse things, there is a Kirkstall Brewery in Kirkstall as well. Anyway, turn right, eventually, onto Cardigan Road, which is only a little above the river at this end.

At the other end, in Headingley, it is quite a bit higher. And the road keeps climbing all the way to Lawnswood. A right turn here, onto Church Lane to pass Adel Church and then the dam of that name. Golden acre Park is to the left, take the next left to ride up the eastern side of this and then left again is the descent to Bramhope. Through there on the A660 and at the Dyneley Arms turn right. Wheeee down Pool Bank.

And turn left, almost out the other side of the village, onto the A659 to ride along the bottom of the valley to Otley and my munch by the maypole. Still only one maypole there, I may have to ask about this. Anyway, Leeds Road beckons. There are more interesting ways out of Otley in this direction. Most of them have more than their fair share of steep. So the A660 again, back through Bramhope and all the way to Headingley. On the way, I saw a new development site. Housing. Elysian Fields. I guess Paris only has the name in French . . .

Back to the mundane, down the hill to Kirkstall, and I have my towpath fix back into Leeds. Still a lot of ice on the canal, but some duck found enough open water to make a fuss of. The last but one lock is where I leave the towpath behind and, feeling the miles a bit, pedal the final couple of miles or so home. Big smile, thirty miles, 1500 feet of up. And I will soon be warm!

The garthing did these again

15022021.jpg

1502elev.jpg

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Carry On Follow That Whale!
Today's ride was one I've done hundreds of times before, but was far from mundane due to the wildlife spotted as @Dark46 and I were about to set off from a drinks break at the side of the Severn at Framilode church. Just as we were about to get back on our bikes, a loud gushing/hissing noise like a Volvo truck's air brakes sounded out just off shore, and I turned to see a patch of disturbed surface with drips of water still spattering down all around it. A second later a large blackish back and big, hooked dorsal fin curved up out of the water and disappeared just as quickly. I have seen both dolphins and pilot whales in the wild before, and I would say this was either an extremely large adult dolphin or else a small pilot whale. Its breathing was louder than anything I've ever heard when dolphin watching and I honestly think it was probably a pilot whale. In the 48 years I have lived down here, I've never seen either in the Severn before. We both then spotted the fin a few more times as the thing zig-zagged its way downstream, following the receding tide, and presumably fishing. We decided to put the hammer down and get ourselves down to Arlingham as fast as possible to see if we could catch another sighting, but no such luck.

When my parents were moving down to Gloucestershire in (I think) 1973 a dolphin was sighted splashing about in the river at Epney (a mile or so upstream from Framilode) and I've always looked out for seals and/or dolphins ever since, with no luck whatsoever. On that occasion, 48 years ago, on the very day my parents had completed the purchase of a house in Epney, we were all sat around the telly in our flat in Birmingham when the story of the dolphin took a prime spot on "Midlands Today". The film crew were actually standing in the garden of the house they'd just bought, filming a dolphin! My mum named the house "Dolphin's Bend" and I believe it is still called that to this day, though I doubt whether the current owners know why. I believe one dolphin may have been spotted a few years ago, but not by any members of my family.

And that wasn't even the weirdest thing to happen today. Just after Mrs D and I got up this morning, Alexa suddenly announced out of the blue "It may be time to order more cake"! Do we perhaps share a Wifi router with Jo Brand?

26.2 miles today. Anyway, enough from the Twilight Zone.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Indeed there are!!
This might be of interest to you? http://www.tadhistory.org.uk/OLRTAP/index.html

And, possibly these?

August 2018
View attachment 574103

View attachment 574104

The 'OLR' descent to Cock Beck
All 3 below, are also Augst 2018
View attachment 574106

View attachment 574107

View attachment 574108

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6498579
Thank you for that, my house is shown on that old map!
This was the same bridge over Cock Beck one week ago!

Last edited:

kynikos

Veteran
@Spiderweb @Richard A Thackeray

When we were kids in the 60s we used to jump on our bikes and go fishing in Cock Beck, up past the farm by Lead Church. Halcyon days.

A few years ago, at a wedding, I found myself sat next to a fascinating woman who was the chair of the regional archeological society and I was able to tell her of our adventures around Cock Beck and our find - a well preserved sword. Of course, I know now what we should have done but what we did do was name it Excalibur and use it to hack various things to bits resulting in its destruction over a period of a few weeks.

Fortunately, she wasn't fazed and saw the funny side of it...

geocycle

Legendary Member
@Spiderweb is that the same beck that was supposed to have turned red with blood after the battle of Towton? I know that area quite well as my relatives worked at the breweries. One looked after Sam Smiths horses.

footloose crow

Über Member
15 Feb. I've got a bike and I can ride it where I like....

This is a properly muddy lane.....

It's alright though as I have gravel wheels. It even says 'gravel' on them. Problem is, I don't have gravel tyres but here it's just mud on tarmac with gravel in the puddles. Is there a tyre for that?

It is warm today. Ten degrees. It has stopped raining and for the first time in this month, I can see my own shadow. The gales have blown themselves out and the next weather front is still mid Atlantic. That explains why every cyclist in Cornwall is out today. Well, six people are but it's more than I have seen for a month.

A cyclist pulls alongside of me and starts to chat. This is the first conversation I have had face to face since Christmas. I forget about the virus for a few kilometres as we discuss the weather, why I carry so much spare clothing and tools, where we have been, where we are going, our bikes. I feel very lonely when we choose different roads after fifteen minutes and only later consider (the lack of) social distancing and my infection risk. At 30km/h we are probably OK riding side by side. But if you don't see another post from me....you will know why.

Today I have been to Perranporth and then northwards along the coast on a switchback series of lanes that seek the steepest, dampest, muddiest hills. The Wahoo says 23% for a while on one. They are all over 10%. I won't come this way again. From the top of the first hill I can see the waves rolling onto Perranporth beach, made huge by pulsating low pressure systems three hundred miles away. When you can see the wave crests from three miles away, you know it's big.

I end up in Crantock, by the Bowgie Inn. Every pub or inn I have passed today has been shuttered, shabby, litter blown into the doorways and green stained masonry. The Bowgie looks more hopeful, as if it has heard that it may be open soon. The view across Crantock Bay never changes and there are a number of surfers in the shelter of the cliffs, avoiding the huge swells in the middle of the bay. It is cold in the wind but there is blue in the sky and the surf makes fresh, white lines in a grey sea.

Turn for home and I have chosen a ridiculous route that cuts across the grain of the land. Up, down, up , down, the view is always tall hedgerows and brief glimpses of fields, wind turbines silently making endless circles. It is clouding up now and even the wind has turned against me. My legs hurt. I hate it when I think I have reached the top, only for the bend to reveal the lane snaking upwards towards another horizon.

Then there is more mud. The discs are scratchy. The derailleur is cranky. The new bike says it doesn't really like mud, could I take the old one next time.

I pass the place where I crashed last July, breaking my collarbone. It is the first time I have been back this way and I take it slowly. No day dreaming the time. Safely home after three hours of rather muddy lanes.

It took an hour to clean the bike this afternoon. Both wheels off. Brake pads out and cleaned. Looking at the bike now, I can see that there are still bits of mud I didn't get, hiding in corners and inaccessible places.

But it didn't rain and it wasn't cold and that is a major victory for cycling in February.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 17.51.12.png

colly

Re member eR
I was at a loose end this aft. It doesn't happen all that often and I found it discombobulating. After stepping this way and that way a-la Mr Bean I hit on the idea of a ride.
Out for about 2.40pm I felt a few loops would do the trick and headed down to the bottom of Oakwood Lane to nip around the roundabout and back up across Easterly Road and back past my house. Down to the clock and a loop bought me up to where I started. Already bored with loops I headed out across the park and took in Shadwell, Wigton and Alwoodley Lanes and back around the reservoir and eventually back home.
Warm enough to wear no gloves and I was over dressed in shorts and longs. Nice ride but too much traffic on the busy bits for my liking tbh.

20.8 miles and 1200 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/62649219

13 rider

Guru
15 Feb. I've got a bike and I can ride it where I like....

This is a properly muddy lane.....

View attachment 574124

It's alright though as I have gravel wheels. It even says 'gravel' on them. Problem is, I don't have gravel tyres but here it's just mud on tarmac with gravel in the puddles. Is there a tyre for that?

It is warm today. Ten degrees. It has stopped raining and for the first time in this month, I can see my own shadow. The gales have blown themselves out and the next weather front is still mid Atlantic. That explains why every cyclist in Cornwall is out today. Well, six people are but it's more than I have seen for a month.

A cyclist pulls alongside of me and starts to chat. This is the first conversation I have had face to face since Christmas. I forget about the virus for a few kilometres as we discuss the weather, why I carry so much spare clothing and tools, where we have been, where we are going, our bikes. I feel very lonely when we choose different roads after fifteen minutes and only later consider (the lack of) social distancing and my infection risk. At 30km/h we are probably OK riding side by side. But if you don't see another post from me....you will know why.

Today I have been to Perranporth and then northwards along the coast on a switchback series of lanes that seek the steepest, dampest, muddiest hills. The Wahoo says 23% for a while on one. They are all over 10%. I won't come this way again. From the top of the first hill I can see the waves rolling onto Perranporth beach, made huge by pulsating low pressure systems three hundred miles away. When you can see the wave crests from three miles away, you know it's big.

I end up in Crantock, by the Bowgie Inn. Every pub or inn I have passed today has been shuttered, shabby, litter blown into the doorways and green stained masonry. The Bowgie looks more hopeful, as if it has heard that it may be open soon. The view across Crantock Bay never changes and there are a number of surfers in the shelter of the cliffs, avoiding the huge swells in the middle of the bay. It is cold in the wind but there is blue in the sky and the surf makes fresh, white lines in a grey sea.

View attachment 574128

Turn for home and I have chosen a ridiculous route that cuts across the grain of the land. Up, down, up , down, the view is always tall hedgerows and brief glimpses of fields, wind turbines silently making endless circles. It is clouding up now and even the wind has turned against me. My legs hurt. I hate it when I think I have reached the top, only for the bend to reveal the lane snaking upwards towards another horizon.

Then there is more mud. The discs are scratchy. The derailleur is cranky. The new bike says it doesn't really like mud, could I take the old one next time.

View attachment 574129

I pass the place where I crashed last July, breaking my collarbone. It is the first time I have been back this way and I take it slowly. No day dreaming the time. Safely home after three hours of rather muddy lanes.

It took an hour to clean the bike this afternoon. Both wheels off. Brake pads out and cleaned. Looking at the bike now, I can see that there are still bits of mud I didn't get, hiding in corners and inaccessible places.

But it didn't rain and it wasn't cold and that is a major victory for cycling in February.

View attachment 574133
I miss the Bowgie ,My favourite evening pub ,spent many a long evening over looking the bay when we stay at Holywell ,we didn't visit last year when we came down ,Booked for Sept this year your post really make me miss my Cornish holidays

footloose crow

Über Member
I miss the Bowgie ,My favourite evening pub ,spent many a long evening over looking the bay when we stay at Holywell ,we didn't visit last year when we came down ,Booked for Sept this year your post really make me miss my Cornish holidays
It is all still here waiting for you @13rider. Hopefully by May we can all go to the beach again.

Top Bottom