Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
A lovely warm evening ride around lanes i used to ride a lot, but haven't recently.

Took the cycle paths up towards Sundorne and then joined the old canal path to Uffington, rejoining the road that can be a rat run during rush hour. As I reached the junction for Upton Magna I came across the road completely closed and so I wasn't looking forward to going along the lane I wanted because I assumed the rat runners would be speeding up it instead. I was pleasantly surprised though as only a few cars were encountered, meaning the diversion route must be well signed away from there.

I climbed up the edge of Haughmond Hill and then enjoyed the mile downhill straight to Somerwood and Rodington Heath, where I paused for a Tunnocks Caramel Bar.......won't be having one of them again on a ride as I spent the remaining 10 miles having stomach cramps!!

I climbed back up to Upton Magna and then to Berwick Wharf, before joining the worst bit of the rat run, which was really quiet due to the road closed signs being at the Atcham end of the road. Wish it was like that all the time!!

I then continued climbing up towards Betton Abbots, pausing to take this shot back over in the direction I had come from, with Haughmond Hill in the distance
image.jpg

Arrived back home having done 20.2 miles and 275 for the month of June, far and away my best this year and I think possibly my highest ever monthly total.

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Arrived back home having done 20.2 miles and 275 for the month of June, far and away my best this year and I think possibly my highest ever monthly total.
:bravo:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A lovely warm evening ride around lanes i used to ride a lot, but haven't recently.

Took the cycle paths up towards Sundorne and then joined the old canal path to Uffington, rejoining the road that can be a rat run during rush hour. As I reached the junction for Upton Magna I came across the road completely closed and so I wasn't looking forward to going along the lane I wanted because I assumed the rat runners would be speeding up it instead. I was pleasantly surprised though as only a few cars were encountered, meaning the diversion route must be well signed away from there.

I climbed up the edge of Haughmond Hill and then enjoyed the mile downhill straight to Somerwood and Rodington Heath, where I paused for a Tunnocks Caramel Bar.......won't be having one of them again on a ride as I spent the remaining 10 miles having stomach cramps!!

I climbed back up to Upton Magna and then to Berwick Wharf, before joining the worst bit of the rat run, which was really quiet due to the road closed signs being at the Atcham end of the road. Wish it was like that all the time!!

I then continued climbing up towards Betton Abbots, pausing to take this shot back over in the direction I had come from, with Haughmond Hill in the distance
View attachment 94177

Excellent.:okay:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
No ride Sunday for one reason or another. Feeling somewhat antsy I texted the gaffer and took Monday off. :okay:

Rode out through Horbury Bridge, up to West Bretton past Yorkshire Sculpture Park, further up to High Hoyland and down past Cannon Hall farm then back through Denby Dale, Holmfirth and Huddersfield. Lovely day for it.

Poppies in full effect...
DSC_0335.jpg

Looking over the Republic of South Yorkshire...
DSC_0336.jpg

Margery Wood (in the middle distance) between High Hoyland and Cawthorne...
DSC_0338.jpg

The spoils... :whistle:
DSC_0339.jpg

52.6 miles with 2,933 feet of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/335409340

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
My riding buddy sent me a text on Thursday asking if I fancied a ride on Saturday. Yes say I, what have you in mind. A longish on he said - crikey he wasn't wrong!
I left home at 8:50 am to meet him (and a couple of others) at a place called Greenodd. From there we rode up through the lakes - Coniston, Ambleside bypassing Grasmere, over Dunmail Raise to drop down into Keswick. A spot of lunch at a cafe on the outskirts of Keswick before heading off over Whinlatter. We then followed the route of the Fred Whitton down the west coast until we got to Gosforth. With tired legs and a serious amount of miles to go and one of our group with a bike that spat it's chain off if he pushed too hard on the hills we decided to take the lesser of two evils and avoid cold fell for the coast road down to Millom (further yes, but not as hilly!)
From Millom we stopped again to refuel - a big flapjack containing 500kcals was devoured. Do people really eat these as snacks? That's a hell of a lot of calories to eat as a snack!! Anyway, with a bit more juice in the tank we soon ticked off the miles to Broughton in Furness. Just after Broughton my friends headed south to Barrow while I headed east, back to Greenodd and home.
A long ride, with a lot of climbing even though we didn't ride any big name passes!

I didn't have time to stop for photos but here are the stats:
Mileage 126.7miles
Elapsed time 9hrs 59mins
ride time 7hrs 54mins
Ave speed 16mph
elevation 9161ft
https://www.strava.com/activities/334232336
So just a gentle bimble in the sun then. Would I do it again?
Hell yeah!!

gavgav

Guru
My riding buddy sent me a text on Thursday asking if I fancied a ride on Saturday. Yes say I, what have you in mind. A longish on he said - crikey he wasn't wrong!
I left home at 8:50 am to meet him (and a couple of others) at a place called Greenodd. From there we rode up through the lakes - Coniston, Ambleside bypassing Grasmere, over Dunmail Raise to drop down into Keswick. A spot of lunch at a cafe on the outskirts of Keswick before heading off over Whinlatter. We then followed the route of the Fred Whitton down the west coast until we got to Gosforth. With tired legs and a serious amount of miles to go and one of our group with a bike that spat it's chain off if he pushed too hard on the hills we decided to take the lesser of two evils and avoid cold fell for the coast road down to Millom (further yes, but not as hilly!)
From Millom we stopped again to refuel - a big flapjack containing 500kcals was devoured. Do people really eat these as snacks? That's a hell of a lot of calories to eat as a snack!! Anyway, with a bit more juice in the tank we soon ticked off the miles to Broughton in Furness. Just after Broughton my friends headed south to Barrow while I headed east, back to Greenodd and home.
A long ride, with a lot of climbing even though we didn't ride any big name passes!

I didn't have time to stop for photos but here are the stats:
Mileage 126.7miles
Elapsed time 9hrs 59mins
ride time 7hrs 54mins
Ave speed 16mph
elevation 9161ft
https://www.strava.com/activities/334232336
So just a gentle bimble in the sun then. Would I do it again?
Hell yeah!!
That's an awesome ride and one I could only dream of being able to manage, even with my Lake District experience!

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
The benefits of working for ones self come to the fore again today as I decided a morning ride would be more appropriate in this weather & a morning ride to the coast would be even better!!

Taking my usual route to the south of the New Forest there was literally not a cloud in the sky as I went down through Beaulieu & Exbury to Lepe beach & country park where I stopped for a while to take on refreshments before heading back with the sea breeze as a tailwind through Blackfield, Beaulieu again, Lyndhurst & Ashurst for gorgeous 35 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/336065403

004.JPG

Clear roads & skys through the forest.
006.JPG

A fisherman with the beach to himself at Lepe.
010.JPG

Roubaix 1 taking a break with the Isle of Wight beyond.
014.JPG

A lone swan enjoying the sun on the Beaulieu river.

gavgav

Guru
The benefits of working for ones self come to the fore again today as I decided a morning ride would be more appropriate in this weather & a morning ride to the coast would be even better!!

Taking my usual route to the south of the New Forest there was literally not a cloud in the sky as I went down through Beaulieu & Exbury to Lepe beach & country park where I stopped for a while to take on refreshments before heading back with the sea breeze as a tailwind through Blackfield, Beaulieu again, Lyndhurst & Ashurst for gorgeous 35 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/336065403

View attachment 94324
Clear roads & skys through the forest.
View attachment 94325
A fisherman with the beach to himself at Lepe.
View attachment 94326
Roubaix 1 taking a break with the Isle of Wight beyond.
View attachment 94327
A lone swan enjoying the sun on the Beaulieu river.
I'm off to the Isle of Wight on Friday for a cricket club tour. Looking forward to beer and sweating it out on the cricket field!

today's ride was with my riding partner again... I needed something to test her and prove to her she can to climbing and that she can do it well. She might be slow, but this is what training is about... anyhow... it was a case of the usual.... mind you she rides a BSO and the inner chain ring is not accessible, so she has to do all her climbing on the middle chain ring...

IMG_3586.JPG

So we set out to do as much as we could, but there was one section of hill I was concerned about, more that I would not get up it! I did, very slowly.... Rachel needed 2 or 3 stops but she managed it as well. All credit to her, we have doubled the mileage she has done inside 2 weeks!

IMG_3591.JPG

Look familiar? I'm sure I saw in on Sunday.. Today was much warmer though. My husband told me that the car temp was registering 28C on the way home at lunchtime and we know it is accurate! Later on it had made 29C... Then we had some fun with the downhill... the views today were stunning. The welsh mountains and the Pennines were both visible and if anyone wants to tell me Cheshire is flat, please come and have a ride with me. 410m of climbing done in 38.5km of riding... that's 1340 feet in 24 miles. We were a touch late home (1:15pm) given I had my 6 week consultants appointment today... but we made the appointment on time.... https://www.strava.com/activities/336098969 exhausted and I have finally found the point where my legs were starting to ache! Rachel agreed... :laugh: She has requested a flatter route for tomorrow!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
today's ride was with my riding partner again... I needed something to test her and prove to her she can to climbing and that she can do it well. She might be slow, but this is what training is about... anyhow... it was a case of the usual.... mind you she rides a BSO and the inner chain ring is not accessible, so she has to do all her climbing on the middle chain ring...

My BSO was like that, I've now got access to all gears so they can be adjusted but it takes patience and determination. Mind, I still think the middle ring is bent.

However, after about eight months I'm not using the lower gears nearly as much. (she might not want to be told that ;))

MikeW-71

Veteran
Went for a ride after work, it is scorchio up here, 30C was what the car told me on the way home and I absolutely believe it! Didn't want to push too hard after the century last saturday, but I felt much better than I thought I would, and as usual I just can't help myself :biggrin:

Did my good deed for the day when I came across a lad staring with uncertainty at a flat rear tyre. We soon had the tube out, found the tiniest of holes in it and whacked on a patch, then removed the thorn that had caused it in the first place. It held air, so it would at least get him home :okay:

Not so many out tonight, but I don't really blame them as it really is roasting! :sweat::heat:

https://app.strava.com/activities/336335135

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Quick 15 miler before tea this evening.
I followed @ianrauk's instructions but haven't tried the garmin out on a route yet. I have just now, followed the instructions again for Hubster's garmin.

Hubster got the Garmin to pick a 15 mile route for us, this evening and we started to follow it. Hubster misread the direction arrow at the 5-ways roundabout and then realised so whipped through the UEA cyclepaths to get back to where his Garmin wanted us to go. His Garmin then decided that we were going back home and starting again. We decided that we were not going to do that so carried on our own sweet way down past the Hospital, up to the B1108 roundabouts and then off on the Melton Road.

There was a signpost pointing to Hethersett and we've never been down it, so we did. It brought us out on Colney Lane - which can get busy but as it's closed at the Hospital end, we reckoned that lorries and busses would be diverted so rode along it. We then turned for Little Melton and then went the wrong way and ended up near Great Melton. We'd meant to go to Hethersett. Seeing a signpost for Wymondham, we decided that it would do and would bring us somewhere we recognised and rode along it. Very pretty road with nice cottages.

Hubster's Garmin wanted us to go along a tiny cul-de-sac road and then up a dirt track. We ignored it. and came out on the Old Norwich Road and headed towards Norwich for a couple of hundred yards and then turned for Ketteringham and pootled along the roads, over the A47 on a bridge and then down the hill and under the railway bridge and over the footbridge that spans the A11. Hubster's Garmin wanted us to join the duel carriageway and go round the huge A11/A47 roundabout junction. We went over the footbridge as we didn't feel like causing a big fatal pile up this evening.

From there into Cringleford and a quick belt up Bluebell (on the road not the cyclepath as we were later than we thought and needed to get a wiggle on) and home. I had thought that we had left at a quarter past 5 or so, when we had actually left at a quarter past 6 and we were supposed to be somewhere at about 7.15 :ohmy:. A quick text sorted that out and we were there by 7.45, probably humming a bit after riding in the sun.

15.36 miles in an hour and 7 mins. That's my 300 miles for the month done. I should have smashed that really but from the 8th - 13th, I was truly lazy and didn't ride. I am over 100 miles up on my yearly target though as I've broken 1100 miles this year. Summer is here now so I want to try and hit my yearly target by about September or October really and then add some more.

Top Bottom