Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I didn't get out over the weekend so made sure of taking the opportunity this morning. The knockabout bike got used since the roads are getting salted again.

I was headed towards the town centre to start off with and our local council in their wisdom have scheduled several sets of roadworks to start on the day that the pubs and shops have reopened. :rolleyes: Result: gridlock in various places. It was a good day to be on a bike rather than in a car.

Having got down by the river I first headed along to Welsh Bridge where I was in time to see the river cruiser Sabrina leaving the dock. Like the pubs, this was their first day of operation and my brother was piloting. I followed for a short while through The Quarry (the town park for those who don't know Shrewsbury) then carried on ahead along Victoria Avenue and the towpath to Castlefields. Another rider overtook just before Greyfriars Bridge so I was able to follow as he cleared a path through the walkers on the towpath.^_^

After leaving the river behind at the end of Sydney Avenue I took a circuituous route past Heathgates Island, The Sentinel and into Sundorne where a detour was needed to avoid a bin wagon blocking the way and I thought there seemed to be an unusual amount of traffic round the estate - this turned out to be because Sundorne Road is closed, which did make crossing it a lot easier than usual.

Having rejoined the old canal path I headed for Uffington and a nice quiet road to Upton Magna then the not quite as quiet one to Atcham. There are a few places with decent views to the hills round Upton Magna and I could see that they had a decent covering of snow - perhaps I should have headed up there this morning instead.

From Atcham I headed for Cross Houses but rather than turning for home as I usually would I took a left to extend the ride round my Cound, Harnage, Acton Burnell, Longnor, Condover loop instead. The A458 was relatively busy but the drivers all behaved sensibly - in fact the driving was all quite good today and I got waved across a couple of junctions when they needn't have.:okay:

This section of the trip was all quite uneventful really. The sun was out and the wind was light, but it wasn't half cold when it did blow so I ended up keeping all the layers on for the whole trip. There had been lots of cyclists out and about in Shrewsbury and on the roads close to the town but out in the countryside there were far fewer to say hello to.

Getting to Condover I was slightly confused by a set of temporary traffic lights which were oddly positioned so that I wasn't quite sure if they were for me or the turning on my right. I decided it was intended for the traffic turning off and went through anyway. :blush: I didn't fancy mixing with the traffic on the A49 this time so headed over Lyth Hill.

33.8 miles at 12.5 mph average. Enjoyed that, but could somone turn the Spring weather back on please.:laugh:

Sabrina out on the first official trip of the season. My brother Doug is skipper today.

Sunlight catching the water at the weir. Has anyone lost a tree?

Blossom and the light green of new leaves at Downton.

Crossing the Severn again at Atcham.

Cronkhill just catching the sunlight.

Crossing Cound Brook this time.

The weather may be a bit wintery still but Spring moves on with the oilseed rape starting to flower.

From Downton I could see a good covering of snow on the Stretton Hills. By the time I reached Longnor it had mostly gone from all but the Lawley and Caer Caradoc.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
24 and a bit with 1200 feet of up yesterday in the Spring sunshine- the cold wind was biting though.

Down along the Tyne and back through Benwell following the trace of the Roman Wall through the housing estates!

Bike selected; CGR, as I was on woodland/sandy tracks/bridleways
Weather; cool, broken cloud-cover, slight breeze
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used; to illustrate points not covered by my own images (& to give a map location)

Nothing much, just pottered about quite locally into the woods/fields of the NewLands Estate
(which historically has links to the Templars)

And across to the top of 'Summer-House' as I call it (it may be on some form of MTB strava...)
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2091017

Then to the top;
View attachment 583206

A steady controlled ride down, to note any particular points that may cause issues
My aim being to 'clean' it, riding back up, as a complete section, & not put a foot down/stop

There's two particular points
1. a rutted portion, where you have to go up onto the outer-edge, to avoid catching pedals in the rut/erosion
2. a sometimes wet section, possibly a spring is there??, it's been covered with varyingly sized rocks

I wasn't timing myself, plus I intended using the lowest gear I've needed anywhere yet; 34 x 21 (10-speed/12-28 cassette, so '4th')
Most of it was fine, the rut skirted by going onto the ridge, skimming the fence-line at the spring-site to keep going
Some wheelslip, at particularly dusty section, but coped with

Bugger:cursing::cursing:
Less than 10 yards from the top, I go off-line, at another raised section, there's a small patch of greasy surface (possibly due to overnight rain, & very light snow), but it's enough to bring me to a halt

I decided not to try it again, but just head back down through the Bluebell Wood, rattling over the tree-roots, turning north (left) out of the woods, back onto The Miners Path

More information on the Estate, here; https://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Newland-Estate.html

As I was in the vicinity again today, during my 'potterings' (4 items, & 1 in the 'Railways' thead), it seem churlish not to have another go
So I did
A 'clean':hyper::hyper:

These two were taken afterwards

Where I lost traction at the weekend, on the little 'ramp' by my front wheel

Looking up, from a bit further down
The copse marks the 'summit'

And enjoying the view at the 'Summer-House' (it's what was allegedly there, & is mentioned on the NewLands page of Stanley History Online)
Camera on a stone, & timer on

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2091017

https://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Newland-Estate.html
There were two summerhouses on the estate; one stood at the highest point of the estate (some 200 feet above sea level) the foundation stones for this can still be seen in the ground. It is believed the site of this building is a man made raised circular platform, which could date back several thousand years; its original purpose is unknown.
The second summerhouse that stood lower to the east has completely disappeared

Last edited:
The usual lope down NCN27, on the mixte. The rear brake is improved another bit. Enough so I gave it its head on the slopes. Didn't do the average any harm at all! And another metric half safely tucked away.
This bike is really going well. I may need a few mm up or back on the saddle, as I find myself perching my sit bones on the end of the saddle. It's never been my favourite saddle, anyhow, but it's all I have until I can afford another Spoon.

Not many people out on 27 today, far less than recently. The roads, though...
Every road crossing took minutes, there was that much traffic.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's ride was one that was in a booklet included with this month's Cycling Plus - although it needed altering to remove a pointless loop of Diss and a now closed junction crossing the A140. Also it started at Bury St Edmunds rail station, but the train times weren't in my favour, so I started from my usual car park in Diss (about 2/5ths of the way round the suggested route).

Bright & cold and a very noticabe breeze thanks to the open nature of the countryside. Leaving Diss and heading south through Palgrave & Stuston to Eye and down to Thorndon. Then across country on open roads to Bury St. Edmunds through Finningham, Westhorpe
St. Margaret's - Westhorpe.JPG
Walsham Le Willows, Stanton,
Stanton Post Mill (1).JPG
Bardwell, Ixworth
Ixworth - The Black Bourn.JPG
Pakenham
St. Mary's - Pakenham (3).JPG

and then Thurston for the run into Bury St. Edmunds, skirting the edge of town before heading straight back out for the run back to Diss (without stopping for photos).
This took me through the villages of Great Barton, Great Livermere, Sapiston, the open heathland around Knettishall, then Hopton, Thelnetham, Redgrave & Lopham Fen, more heathland at Wortham Ling and finally back into Diss with just under 60 miles completed.
1618354002143.png
1618354033892.png

footloose crow

Über Member
The iconic landscapes of Cornwall are a bit of a blur

I am a Romantic. I cycle to see open spaces and feel the wildness of the earth and my tiny place within it. It is hopeless romanticism because road cycling involves roads and roads go to places that people want to go to and therefore my solitary wanderings 'among a host of golden daffodils etc' are de-romanticised by diesel and thundering wheels a few feet from my right knee. Everyone is in Cornwall today. Even the sun has made an appearance.

I am overly negative. Much of the ride is quiet along lanes that no one knows, in fact I can often never find them again. The omniscient Wahoo is unable to cope with Celtic magic and the shifting lanes of ancient Kernow, that move and swop and tease and end up in places that you didn't intend to go or just deny they exist today.

The short description of today is this:

Screenshot 2021-04-14 at 09.49.52.png

The more Celtic version, a long twisting tale of bravery, guile and cunning, pain and hurt is not here. But the highlights can be given in a few brushstrokes of a JPEG and some words. Here is Portreath and a smooth, friendly Atlantic and a long uphill. The first challenge for the ride and If I hadn't stopped for the photo, Strava says I would have had my fastest ascent. But then if I hadn't stopped for the photo, I would have been slower. The beach is not yet busy but it will be as the crowds spread down the north coast looking for sunshine and sand.

IMG_6563.jpeg

You notice the bulging saddle pack? I have everything I need as I still avoid shops and cafes. Inner tubes. check. Tools, check. Spare clothes in case it gets colder, check. Spare clothes in case the spare clothes aren't enough, check. Food, check. More food in case the food isn't enough, check. Extra, extra food because the bike is now so heavy I am using up extra calories, yes.

Fifty km in and I have arrived at Marazion and it is packed. The car parks which have looked like a post apocalyptic scene all winter, are full. The shops are open. You can buy ice cream although I don't. There is a long string of visitors crossing the causeway to St Michaels Mount, some made anxious by the prospect of a returning tide, a modern pilgrimage to see what is there, the grey rocks and turreted buildings drawing them in as they did me the first time I saw it in 1970.

IMG_6566.jpeg

Time to eat now and enjoy the sun. Even the bike wants a rest. Ouch, scratches on the titanium. Well that 50k was easy. I begin to imagine I could do 200k today but don't worry, the next leg to Helston will dispel that feeling as the hills rise and fall like a pod of breaching whales.

IMG_6569.jpeg

From Helston, after 20k of small lanes I am launched into the main road to the Lizard and it is very busy. Too busy. Too many close passes from caravans and cars until I can dive into the back lanes once more. I think I am nearly in the Lizard village but the Wahoo calmly tells me it isn't even half way. This is beginning to feel hard. The main road is reasonably flat but my footloose variations to one side or the other to avoid traffic are not and any ideas of a super long ride evaporate as the legs make their views clear.

The pasty shop in Lizard village has opened a takeaway window onto the road. I cycle up to the window and order from the saddle. 'Drive through pasties' I tell the cook. 'Next time' she says, 'order in advance and I can throw it at you as you pass'. Pasties are so much better than all the food in my bag.

IMG_6572.jpeg

Back north again on lanes, winding through part of the Lizard I haven't seen before although I have been here often enough. I am tiring now and the Wahoo says I am only half way home.

IMG_6574.jpeg

The Goonhilly discs, catching the light and glowing in the gorse and heather of this flat, elevated land. Ancient rocks, space age technology and most incongruously a National Nature Reserve.

I know once I reach the top of the hill near Stithians, there is more downhill than uphill to finish. My shoulders ache now after six hours on the bike but the legs have gone quiet. I take a long rest at the top of the hill. The poor bike is exhausted. I could have gone on but the bike needed a break. Then on and my memory is faulty. There is a lot of uphill left. Head down, spin, get on with it.

IMG_6577.jpeg

And so it finishes, nearly but not quite a 100 miles. I could have added a couple of extra miles to round it off but I am not chasing numbers. That is not true, I was chasing 150k so I can send my GPX track to Tony at Audax HQ South West and he can tell me what a splendid chap I am and I have another DIY audax ride to add to the records at Audax Club Paris. All completely pointless but somehow romantic. I exist in Paris as a record of my rides. I like that thought. It eases the ache of the final 8% hill. It makes me feel I exist.

Old jon

Guru
Hefty riding that was @footloose crow and wonderfully written. I do sedate . . .

Bright and cool yet again. It would be a shame to do nothing with it and the obvious solution, to me, is to take a bike for a ride.

Thirty five miles later, and almost 2000 feet of climbing, the solution was an enjoyable one. And energetic too. Start off with the meander through a corner of Holbeck to reach the towpath, and leave the towpath at Viaduct Road to cross the river and begin the haul up to Headingley and beyond. By the time I reached beyond, a.k.a. the top of the hill out of Leeds, I had more or less decided where I was going to be riding today.

On to Bramhope, and turn left to ride up through the old village. Over the crossroads and continue going up until reaching the A658. Straight across there, and a stretch of descending road is next. After a left and a right turn to cross Otley Old Road the road rises again almost all the way to the Royalty pub. I would have called for a pint (sweat replacement therapy) but the place was shut, understandably as it was not yet ten o’ clock. Anyway, the road from here descends very nicely, views to each side, the Aire Valley on the left, the Wharfe to the right.

There is another left and right onto Windmill Lane, after a name change this reaches the edge of Menston, a couple of right turns and I am headed to Otley. This bit is easy, and gave me time to think about ‘where next?’ Leeds Road up out of there, and a return to Bramhope. After the village, turn left up Kings Road and at the bottom of the drop past Golden Acre Park turn left onto King Lane. More lumpy bits until the turn onto Alwoodley Lane, cross the A61 and continue to Slaid Hill. From here to Moortown, onto Street Lane and Princes Avenue to pass the clock at Oakwood yet again.

And then to home. It is all downhill from here, and a bit busier than it has been for some time. Go back across the river, dodge about through Hunslet and in time I reach the end of my street. With smile attached, it really has been a good ride.

Google doodles

14042021.jpg

1404elev.jpg

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
An extra ride as Mrs A_T is meeting 4 of the WI cycling group ladies on a run out on the NCR10 for a remote coffee!

18 miles on the Airport loop and back home with the wind... lots of people out today

Brandane

Legendary Member
Garmin Connect link.

Out on the Trek MTB today, taking advantage of the local A78 trunk road being closed for urgent sewer mains repairs; effectively making the road unused between Largs and Wemyss Bay, and turning it into a nice wide cycle path!
Starting off at Largs, the ferry to Cumbrae which we're still not welcome on until Friday, I think...
Headed off up the deserted A78 and stopped for some pics; not something I would normally be doing with the usual traffic volume!
Something for the "My bike in front of some water" thread.
Another ferry, only 6 miles from the first pic. This one crosses to Rothesay, another place I hope to visit VERY soon.
Onwards to Inverkip where lunch was bought from the small Sainsbury's "local", and a bit of a climb to Cornalees visitors centre. Then some off roading for 6 miles along the Kelly Cut, with some magnificent views but tricky bits to negotiate.
One for the "Some water in front of my bike" thread :smile:
A nice long off road descent to Skelmorlie. Great views over the Clyde islands, especially Bute.
The end of the descent. What child would leave skid marks at the approach to the gate? A child approaching 59, that's who :ohmy:.
Back onto the A78 for the 6 mile ride to Largs. Some more seaside views. I never tire of seeing these after 59 years. What a difference the sunshine makes!
Arran in the background:
All in all, a fine few hours out on the bike :smile:.

gavgav

Guru
After almost 2 weeks off the bike, due to a bout of Gastroenteritis which really knocked me about and now another stressful week up in Wales with health issues for my dad, my heart really wasn’t in today’s ride, but I got it done and did feel better after doing it.

Headed down the main road to Barmouth and crossed the railway line, where 4 chaps were working and so opened both gates for me :okay: Paused for a photo up the coastline.

The promenade was extremely busy with visitors enjoying the easing of lockdown, some of whom had left their brains and eyes behind, stepping out into my path without looking on about 3 occasions.

I had to wait an age to get back out onto the main road, due to streams of traffic heading into the town, but eventually climbed the bank and slowly crossed Barmouth Bridge, amongst the many pedestrians and cyclists. Slight moment when I decided to plough through the sand that had blown into the path, near the station at Mawddach, but it was a bit deeper than I realised and I slithered sidewards on more than 1 occasion! Managed to stay upright though.

I then headed down the main road to Fairbourne, which is quite a depressing place at the best of times, even more so when very little is open like currently is the case. There were more people around than I’ve ever seen there before though, as I cycled to the end of the promenade, looking back to the bridge and Barmouth.

I then cycled back up and explored the other end of the promenade, handily finding some public loo’s that weren’t signposted but were most welcome. I then retraced my steps back to Mawddach and over the bridge, walking the bike through the sand this time!

As a change and for the first time, I decided to follow the main road through Barmouth and climb up it to Llanaber, which wasn’t too bad, despite a lot of traffic and a bottleneck due to a delivery lorry parked on double yellows at the narrowest point.....

It started to rain, as I departed the town as well and continued, fairly lightly, all the way back to the caravan.

22.68 miles at a very leisurely 11.0mph, but at least the energy levels appear to be returning post bug.

Old jon

Guru
Frosty sunlight, a combination I am beginning to appreciate. Especially half way through April, it would be a good guess that things will become warmer. Eventually. So, a ride in company today, first time for a long while. And very good it was.

There is usually quite a bit of Leeds for me to cross before reaching quiet riding, this gives me time to warm up properly, all good. From Alwoodley Gates, the meeting point, to Adel and then Holt Park to Otley Old Road, heading towards Bramhope. And we turned left off Moor Lane to go to Old Bramhope. And across the A658. Turn left at the next junction, and carry on. No right turn just yet, wait for the road to East Carlton, which oddly enough goes through West Carlton too.

On to Guiseley, a place I do not know well, and out of there towards Baildon. Most of the way down Hollins Hill, and there is a turn to the left, a track that crosses the river (Aire) and goes to the Leeds and Liverpool canal. No more uphill today then. There was a bit, in Apperley Bridge, for a cafe stop, but then it is route 66 all the way back into Leeds. When we reached Kirkstall I could not resist temptation. The others returned to north Leeds, I went back to the canal, and then to the Grove for a pint before going home.

Thirty seven miles, a surprising 1755 feet going up, almost all of that in the first half of the ride. Well worth a grin.

A map and a whatyoucallit . . .

16042021.jpg

1604elev.jpg

Top Bottom