Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Two rides yesterday.

Morning: It was a beautiful sunny morning but the forecast said rain by eleven..... or twelve...... or 2pm depending on which forecast I looked at. I'd already missed an opportunity to get out this week so determined to make the most of the morning, The knockabout bike was used and I decided to go to Oaks, Pulverbatch and Wilderley as this gives me several chances to cut the ride short if needed.

I started off heading up Lyth Hill and climbing to the top where the views were great in the sunshine and clear air. It was a bit tricky to judge layers though as it was nice and warm in the sunshine but chilly when exposed to the wind. Dropping down the other side my vague thoughts about going via Annscroft were soon changed when I came up behind some vehicles descending even slower than me. I took the left fork at Lyth Bank instead and went through Great Lyth on my way to Plealey.

The climb up to Oaks from this side was a gentle plod up the hill with a couple of vehicles I needed to pull in to one side for, but otherwise quiet until the top. Going through Wrentnall and taking the climb over the edge of Broom Hill it's not very often that I encounter other vehicles so the four that came along today made it feel like I'd hit the rush hour.:laugh: After Pulverbatch I was only sharing the road with a couple of cyclists through Wilderley and it stayed quiet as far as Smethcott where I found another "rush" during the descent towards Leebotwood.

More cloud was bubbling up now but the showers I could spot seemed far enough away and moving slowly enough that I thought I'd risk going further to Dudgeley and cross the A49 there. I had a good gap to cross the main road then started back on the lanes through Hollyhurst. Nearing Longnor a few spots of rain started but it wasn't heavy enough to make me think of putting on the waterproofs just yet. I was soon through it but the clouds ahead were looking quite ominous. Leaving Ryton I was riding directly towards the darkest part of the storm so had a good view when it dropped a bolt of lightning.

By Condover there were spots of rain again and leaving the village I could see that there was a curtain of it between me and the main road. To my left however, Lyth Hill was bathed in sunshine so I turned that way instead.^_^ Dropping down the hill the roads were pretty wet but the storm that had caused it, still spitting out lightning, was headed away.

28.4 miles for this one at 11.9 mph average.

On the track across Lyth Hill.

View from the top.

Looking back towards Lyth Hill from the top of the Broom Hill climb.

Bluebells on the way to Smethcott.

Caer Caradoc looms at Dudgeley and I seem to have lost the sunshine.

Getting a little damp near Longnor as the showers roll in.

A glance back towards the Stretton Hills as I cross Lyth Hill the second time.

Dropping down Lyth Hill Road. I'm glad I didn't ride into that storm.

Evening: @gavgav has already written up this one above and the only thing he's missed out is the moped towing a cyclist that went past us by Betton Strange. Quite an appropriate place name to see such a sight.:laugh:

14.6 miles at 11.2 mph average by the time I got back. Doug seemed to have got on better than on recent rides which is good. If only weather and other commitments will allow us to get him out a bit more often.

Old jon

Guru
A fair morning, with the promise of later rainfall, a promise I believed. It is always difficult to start a ride when it is raining, future rain, well, it ain’t wet yet, is it? Riding the Bob Jackson today, a bit of recent maintenance had to be checked out. As if I need an excuse.

Also riding solo today, which made it sensible to pedal around one of my usual rounds, cannot imagine where I caught sensible from. So, cross the river at Crown Point and start the road up to Oakwood. Pondering where to go in an attempt to avoid all the ongoing roadworks around here. And deciding to ride through them anyway. There is a long stretch of the things just before reaching Whin Moor Lane, on the A58. Riding along there, through the trees on the left there is machinery and the noise it makes. Hmm, carry on to Shadwell and turn left.

Slaid Hill and that end of Wike Ridge Lane. Yup, big grin time all the way to East Keswick and beyond, the A659 goes to Collingham and so do I. Cross the River Wharfe at Linton and ride into Wetherby. And back across the Wharfe, on my way to Collingham. Where the bottom of Jewitt Lane was wearing a road closed sign! I turned the corner, to take a look, and it was School Lane that was closed. OK, start the deep breathing now and climb Jewitt Lane. Turn right onto Compton Lane, the road is still rising for a while. Through East Rigton and meet the first horse riders of the morning.

Still a glorious road to ride along. The hedges are high on both sides, but with gaps and some peaceful views through them. Did not need a gap to see the first raincloud today, felt it as well so the promise was kept. Down the last end of Milner Lane into Thorner, and very soon turn right to ride up Carr Lane to the A58. More up and down and roadworks, followed by the whizzzz down Boot Hill, a lot quicker than going up it earlier.

Downhill to the town centre, and a detour to the shop where I bought the garthing last Monday. Problem sorted there, then an unusual final bit of the ride, crossing the Aire on Whitehall Road for a change. Home was just where I had left it thirty four miles ago, gave me a smile did that. And fifteen hundred feet of going up gave my legs some exercise. Wins all round then.

The new garthing has some debut scribbles,

20052021.jpg

2005elev.jpg

A bit like the old device.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Commute home into a howling headwind and torrential rain, 1st couple of miles against the traffic flow along the cyclepath so dodging spray from lorries etc who seem determined to soak you :sad:
Only really started commuting all thos years ago to save money by only having 1 car so mrs ck and kids can have it so when i get home absolutly soaked and shivering smart arse comments from mrs ck were not welcome

Old jon

Guru
Yesterday was damp and dismal here, oddly, this made me more determined to ride today. As a nod to the weather, rain this morning means I am riding the Spa. If it is fine the fixed has a run out. Me and the fixed went out to play.

Nothing too exciting though. A shuffle around Holbeck pointed me towards the Armouries and the riverside path to Woodlesford, for a few miles to acclimatise my legs to pedalling all the time. Back to real roads and climb a couple of steps to reach Swillington. Through there, still sort of going up, until Garforth and the Hook Moor wind farm are in sight.

Around the northern side of Garforth and soon enough the wind farm is passed on the way to those gates. Aberford was quiet, maybe ‘cos it is Saturday, everyone has gone somewhere else to shop, sort of impossible there. The road to Barwick, Cattle Lane that is, goes up and down a bit. Fields each side, some have been harvested, others are green of various shades. And a bit more greenery on the way to Scholes.

Cross the former railway lines, it’s easy on the bridge, and turn left onto the A64. This time, turn right soon afterwards to head to Thorner. Leave there on Carr Lane and ride to the A58 for a left turn to Leeds. There is the descent of Boot Hill to enjoy, and past that to Oakwood was where the last bit of ride home was worked out. The flyover on Regent Street is closed at weekends for a while, I finally though of the way around this.

So, cross my outbound track on Black Bull Street, just south of the river, and home is close. And I am early too. A short (ish) ride, just thirty two miles of it with fourteen hundred feet of upwards, even though crossing the river turned the rain on it was still worth the smile.

I went thisaway!

22052021.jpg

2205elev.jpg

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
A nice hour n a bit meandering round Peterboroughs many former brickpits from the old works on my doorstep, sweeping past the back of Hampton, onto Crown Lakes at Farcet, down London Road, into Stillwells reserve, near the massive LB2 pits and home. All these places, ,ay square miles are steeped in brick making, sculpted out of former clay works and brick factories, lots of lakes, tracks, most turned into reserves, wooded, secluded, lots of insects today, so lots of swallows, goldfinch, a cuckoo, my first this year, commonly heard around here due to the landscape no doubt, just lots of wildlife out there. Excellent ride, nice to be out.

Mike_P

Guru
Back to front day for weather compared to what was forecast so the intended morning ride before showers arrived was delayed by rain to early afternoon. West along Penny Pot Lane and Menwith Hill Road interrupted by a northerly ride across the A59 on the B6451. North down Day Lane in a new not as slow as before time.

NNE from Thornthwaite to Dacre to rejoin the B6451 for the decent to Dacre Banks and immediately thereafter the fourth character ABC of Summerbridge. The initial village nameboard was at a location where stopping was not a good idea given the 17% max lump immediately beyond.

The B6165 entry at the south eastern end of the village was more suitable.

Headed east on the B road; the rear mech had been making a ticking noise when the front was on the small chainring and then momentarily refused to drop onto smaller cassettes just before I reached Burnt Yates.

Down through Bedlam with another not as slow descent

Wary of the rear mech playing up again I used the Nidderdale Greenway from Ripley; the River Nidd was raging.

There had been a couple of light showers and then in the last half mile a heavier shower for a moment or two. 24.1 miles, 1545ft climbed, avg 12.4mph.

Just to prove the weather forecast was completely wrong once home the non existent for the day sun then came out; the ebike came out for an evening shopping trip to Asda. On the return I turned west with the assist off and almost came to halt; the westerly now had some strength to it. The low sun was not as problematic as it was on Tuesday evening on the return from Sainsburys when there were three cases of complete blackouts. Wednesday was ostensibly a dry sunny day which it was apart from when I was out on the ebike for work related matters, complete with a light shower. Combined 20.83 miles 1566ft gained

Last edited:

C R

Guru
The weather forecast promised a bit of respite this morning, so a ride was on.

Out at around twenty past six, with a vague idea of getting to Bidford on Avon, so up via Hatfield, heading for Pershore. Somehow the legs weren't feeling great, and my average speed on the way to Pershore was well below my usual.

Pershore high street is closed for resurfacing (about time too) so followed the diversion around Defford Rd, which wasn't much of an issue at this time of the day, and stopped for a cereal bar in the picnic area by the bridge.

On the way to Evesham now, still wondering if I should cut the ride short, but I was getting better speeds now, so pressed on.

Another road closure in Evesham caused another small detour, but I was soon on the way to Offenham. I was roughly following the Avon along the back lanes, but after Offenham the lane turned away from the river with an unexpected rather steep ramp, though luckily not very long.

Onto Warwickshire now
20210523_080708.jpg

Through Cleeve Prior and then Bidford, and a stop by the bridge for a rest.
20210523_081356.jpg

20210523_081426.jpg

Now I got a text from our builder who was asking if he could come today to do the work. This rather caught me out being eight in the morning on a Sunday, given that we were expecting him to have texted yesterday. Luckily Mrs C R was up, so we told him yes, and I got on my way.

The quickest route back was through Broom, up Dunnington, and head for Flyford to the A422. I made this part of the route without stopping, in about an hour and a half, which considering I wasn't feeling all there I'm happy with.

Just over 45 somewhat enjoyable miles spanning two counties and a minor panic. The weather held, though the wind was a bit stronger than expected at times, and the temperature is still stuck in early March.

The map
Screenshot_20210523-172019_Connect.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
The weather this spring has been truly awful and today was no exception. The temperatures were hovering about 15 degrees and frequent heavy downpours were the order of the day. Looking at the rain radar, I saw what appeared to be a break in the showers and I took my chance and headed out. Ever the optimist, I also popped some shorts on, for only the third time this year. Heading out through the wet roads to the North, the clouds were building ominously and the wind was gusting strong.

Heading into the forest, I'm dodging puddles and slipping around on the mud and then from nowhere the heavens open. It's like a downpour in the rainforest, I stop and put my rain jacket on. My bare legs are getting soaked, but hey, skin is waterproof! I'm trying to make for the shelter of a small wooden hut, but it looks forlorn, I'm soaked through and nowhere near it. Finally as the rain eases off, the shelter hoves into view and I'm completely covered in mud, happy days!

Heading on, the clouds start to part a little and the forest opens up.

Heading further North into the sands of Wildech and trouble starts brewing. The wet sand is getting every where and my transmission starts to grate and grind, each gear change getting more vague and the rear brakes are dragging. One piston seems to be really gritted up and the pad is dragging against the disc, I try to fix it but no joy. At least I'm starting to understand the meaning of resistance training!

After Wildech I head further North for a coupe if Kilometres, before swinging East on unfamiliar trails that will after several fun kilometres bring me out at Reberallah.

After riding through the village, I take a quick break under the sprawling oak, enjoying a flapjack as the sun makes a rare appearance.

Then it's on towards home, the last kilometres wind first through the forest and then out onto quiet roads again. The clouds are slowly breaking up, but it's still stormy and unsettled. Finally after just over 36 very muddy kilometres, I roll back into the garden, both myself and the bike need a good shower.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Making the most of a weather window this morning I headed out on the knockabout bike with the intention of doing the reverse of my ride to Pulverbatch a few days ago.

It's quite cool and windy today but I didn't really feel how strong the wind was until climbing up to Lyth Hill. Being able to see that there were showers rolling across the landscape made me rethink the plan and it seemed that a straight repeat of the Wednesday morning ride would be best as I'd have a little bit of shelter from the wind on the climbs and it would be more convenient to cut things short if the weather deteriorated.

I carried on climbing to the summit of Lyth Hill where I was accosted by a couple of ladies who wanted to know if there was another Lyth Hill car park (probably arranged to meet friends and had come to the wrong one). I suggested that it wouldn't be a great idea to use the rough track for fear of damaging the underside of their car and after offering directions to drive round they decided that it would be just as easy to walk across.

Moving on again I dropped down to Lyth Bank, took the left fork to Great Lyth and then headed for Plealey, seeing a group of riders going in my direction a little way ahead. I gradually reeled them in before I turned off towards the climb up to Oaks. Unlike last time I didn't meet any traffic on the climb and the only issue was losing traction a bit when I stood on the pedals for the steepest part of the hill.

I had the road entirely to myself through Wrentnall, round Broom Hill and into Pulverbatch, followed in the tracks of a car down the hill then was alone again through Wilderley, Smethcott, Walkmills and down to Leebotwood. Even for these quiet lanes this must be some kind of record.

I'd run into a bit of light rain going through Walkmills so decided not to push my luck and to cut out the bit through Dudgeley. Instead I dropped into Leebotwood, along the A49 for a bit (quiet in my direction and a tractor followed by a stream of vehicles coming the other way) then turned off and took the old Roman road to Longnor.

The wind had got stronger through the trip and I would now have it at my back pretty much for the rest of the ride. I was cruising along at the sort of pace I'd usually associate with my Galaxy and enjoying it thoroughly. A few cyclists headed the other way didn't appear to be appreciating the headwind very much. I got on well to Ryton (apart from slowing for a horse and rider) and even better through Condover and up to the main road. Great fun to finish off with.^_^

Just over 24 miles at 12.3 mph average.

The view to Eastridge Woods from the Broom Hill climb is a little less inviting than last time I was here.

Still going round Broom Hill and the second climb looms ahead. Short but sharp.

Near the church at Leebotwood.

Looking back towards the rain shrouded Stretton hills from Ryton. Cutting out the Dudgeley section was the right choice today.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
One of our "Super Sunday" club rides today, when we venture a little further afield once a month. The weather forecast looked like it would scupper this one, and it reduced our numbers to four, but we got through it anyway. The plan was to bomb it down to the seaside at Severn Beach as fast as we could against the headwind, stop at Shirley's Cafe and then head back with a stiffening tailwind, aiming to get home by 3.30, just beating the worst of the rain. We got to Severn Beach in good time, taking some lanes I'd never ridden before, but had to shelter at the cafe from a torrential downpour.

Although the rain died down, it never totally disappeared, making for a cold, wet last 35 miles. The planned route also went a little awry, as less than half a mile along the sea wall we found a barrier blocking our path, and maintenance work half completed. At least we got to see the Severn estuary and both Severn bridges before turning around and finding an alternative route. As you can see, the tide was out.

I started to wilt a little on the way back, and felt I was holding the others back. At my insistence, we parted ways somewhere between Berkeley and Slimbridge, as I headed for the A38 and a straight ride home with a following wind and the chance to stop to stretch my back whenever I needed to. Arrived home soaking wet but happy at exactly 3.30 (which was when I told my wife I'd be back) with 71.9 miles on the trip computer. Apparently the others got back 15 minutes before me, so I'm glad I let them go. Another great ride, despite the weather.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
It wasn’t raining this morning for a change but it was cold, dull and windy. I don’t mind cold and rain but it’s getting a bit much now when it’s supposed to be warm. I set off to Whixall as far as Hollinswood crossroads then up to Fenns Bank and Fenns Wood before turning at Blackloe to Alkington. After a short distance into the wind turned off again to Tilstock and back down the next lane to Whixall, Coton, Cotonwood along the Whitchurch road to the turning for Prees.Headed back to Edstaston having a few floods to get through, turned towards the church just in time to get past before the church traffic started to leave. Carried on down to Ryebank and the rain started, resisted taking the turning past the Moatshed to home carrying on to Horton, Loppington where there was no rain and dry roads, Lyneal through the woods to Pikesend, Colemere past the sailing club side of Colemere back to Lyneal, Northwood and home. Having had a wet week commuting and dog walking it was good to get home dry for a change. 35.7 miles and even managed to cut the grass before the rain started properly.
7122E80C-3F6F-4F60-A2A8-DE967EBC9BF2.jpeg

8FC3A61C-DBD9-4863-A87E-DF122ECA0037.jpeg

Old jon

Guru
Bright sunlight outdoors, ridiculously early though. Cannot let the weather go to waste, start moving now, breakfast is a good idea . . .

And take the Spa for a ride. Some time ago, I had planned (plotted? drawn? magicked?) a route to pass Almscliff Crag, today seemed like the day to try it out. Credit for most of the route goes to a club member who led some of us around the important middle of it. But anyway, off I went, main road blocked, by the police, in the direction I wanted to go. There is always a way around, and a whole day to find it. Didn’t take that long.

The clock at Oakwood, big park gates then turn right. This crosses the Ring Road and gives me the hill to climb to Slaid Hill. On to Wike and turn left onto Forge Lane, this takes me to the Harrogate Road and a right turn leads to Harewood. Turn left in the village, pass the Muddy Boots cafe and ride the bridleway down the hill to the A659. Passing a number of deer, two stags and a pair of Red Kite. Not forgetting the hen pheasant strutting calmly across the road in front of me, and I am fairly sure I saw a pied wagtail as well. Busy this morning.

Leave all that, ride to the A61 and turn left. Across the River Wharfe, a bit up the road is the left turn to Dunkeswick. And the road starts climbing, not steep, barely noticeable really, with the odd very noticeable stretch. It levels off a bit on the way out of Weeton.

Then climbs through Huby and then more before it reaches the crags. Which is about as high as the road goes. Stainburn is the next village along the way, a couple of farms and a twist or two in the road, which goes to Leathley next, and a road wide enough to have a white line down the middle. A bit of a relief, some of the lanes earlier had hefty amounts of gravel to be wary of. Follows the River Washburn for a while, this road, its the B6161, dunno if there is a name as well. Then the right turn for Pool, back across the Wharfe on the way there. On to Arthington and Creskeld Lane again.

From Bramhope I rode down the eastern side of Golden Acre Park, and through Adel on the way to Headingley. A right turn to Kirkstall, seems a long time since I pedalled this way, and down the towpath to the end of the canal. And then to home. Big smile, after thirty six miles the sun is still shining and there was 2234 feet of going up in that lot. Good ride.

24052021.jpg

2405elev.jpg

Bike selected; CGR (bridleways/farm-tracks & sandy soil)
Weather; over-cast, cool, & light rain
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used for locations

Nothing much, just a potter about, whilst waiting for some call density to abate, to my car insurer

Out along NewLands Lane, squeezing through the (whatever the name is) bike-catcher
I can normally ride through them, by 'dropping' my shoulders, but that one is at an angle due to the hedgerow
This type... https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2667767

The 'T-P T' sign is by this junction, just before the bridge; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6788334

The new bridge spans the Castleford - Normanton - Wakefield KirkGate line

The older bridge is now blocked/'back-filled'
It was the Goosehill Junction chord that rejoined at Oakenshaw Junction
(part of a scheme to run through to Derby)

The bridge is 'skewed', as it carried a colliery line over the main-line; https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=53.69024&lon=-1.43762&layers=168&b=1
As can also be seen here; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3520315

Last edited:
Yesterday's ride + train ride fron Freiburg to the family in Stuttgart:

2021_05_24_EMM_SGT_01.jpg

Xtracycle taking it easy, carrying this picture to its final home in our apartment.

On the final section from the tram stop to our village.

2021_05_24_EMM_SGT_02.jpg

This shows the advantage of a longtail bike: not only is it big enough to carry a fairly large canvas, I can carry two normal bike bags on the other side.

Pushing it along platforms with all the weight on one side was a bit weird. Strangely, there's no imbalance while riding.

Last summit, first houses of the village in view in the distance. I probably should stop complaining about how "urbanised" this region is...

2021_05_24_EMM_SGT_03.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom