Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Bright largely sunny Saturday so back to shorts at last and also back on the normal route northwards as the TTLs towards Killinghall have gone. Onto the A61 and immediately standing traffic to overtake – seemed to be largely attributable to the crossing of NCN67. Down Moor Lane to Bishop Monkton and onto the route of NCN688; an old railway overbridge gave a nice shady spot to pause momentarily. Into Littlethorpe I left the route of the NCN expecting to find nameboard for the fourth letter AZ of Ripon but what is on Google Streetscene seemed not to exist. Over the canal footbridge and east on the B6265 to find a more grand sign close to the racecourse.

Into Ripon and a loop around the Cathedral; attempt to get some of bike in a shot of the Cathedral was photo bombed by signs:sad:

West out of the small city back on the route of NCN688 uphill through Studley Royal deer park in a new PR. More climbing away from the NCN with no chance of improving on my PR as that was set trying to, and failing ultimately to, draft behind the Italian womens road race squad whilst they were training during the 2019 UCIs. Upgrade across Sawley Moor I was puzzled by the Wahoo telling me to turn onto the A61 and at an opportune moment cancelled the route following and restarted it. Turned east on the B6265 and after the rides summit reached Risplith

The traffic calming transpired to be merely the signs although there was a pretty easily freaked horse being ridden along the road. Beyond the road descended steeply down to a narrow bridge; before climbing away slightly more gently and to a lower elevation. Minor undulations followed before the road realised it was meant to be heading downwards. Through another part of Ripon and over the River Ure on North Bridge and then used a cycletrack under the bypass alongside the river which brought me to Sharow; the church dates from 1825.

Scrubbed the planned onwards route towards the racecourse having already been in those parts and returned back over North Bridge and then back to the Cathedral; the Wahoo was now confused thinking it was back on the earlier part of the route but resolved by regaining the planned route direct back to Bishop Monkton, for an additional snack break on a bench by the stream. Decided as time was later than planned to also scrub the intended route via Knaresborough and took the reverse of the outward route albeit with standing traffic again on the A61 went through Ripley and along NCN67 to its crossing where I eventually rejoined the A61, with the traffic lights causing more standing traffic:rolleyes:
43.09 miles 2395ft climbed 13.3mph avg.

Last edited:
Taking Beautiful God-daughter back after a day together.

2020_05_24_01.jpg

13 rider

Guru
I had stupidly left getting a metric century ride in for the monthly challenge until the last weekend and my plan for completing it yesterday were blown out of the water due to personal circumstances so after a restless night I found myself awake at 0600 after much faffing and procrastination and I found a little bit of motivation and was out the door at 0800 a bit chilly but in shorts for a change . Up through Newtown Linford turned to climb up to Markfield ,Botcheston ,Barestone ,Carlton ,Market Bosworth ,Upton and back to Desford were I encountered complete gridlock due to the main road being closed and the diversion being down a residential st with loads of parked cars add a large horse box result gridlock ( or it could have been @pawl badly parked car ) I took to the pavement to get by . Back to my home village ,halfway took a lot of will power to turn away from home and take on another 50km loop . Did a standard loop of mine out to Wymeswold and back . Home with 67 miles in the bag . The ride certainly helped clear my head and allowed a bit of thinking time for some big life choices coming my way . Nice to be out in summer gear

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
National Cycle Day [and Northumberland Day] ride out with Mrs A_T on the tandem up to Capheaton Village Cafe in the cloudless sunshine. 32 miles and not a car for miles!

Lots of people at the cafe but then with home made sandwiches [+ crisps] and cake + two teas for £10 why wouldn't you?

Off out again on the tandem tomorrow but Matfen cafe this time [bacon rolls and coffee+walnut cake!]. We know how to live

Attachments

• 9DBE53B6-DE14-4D85-A5AF-CC4FB65FE208.jpeg
    9DBE53B6-DE14-4D85-A5AF-CC4FB65FE208.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 466A5A44-4D75-4E78-9DB3-E1B7FAB7DB47.jpeg
    466A5A44-4D75-4E78-9DB3-E1B7FAB7DB47.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 5

geocycle

Legendary Member
Summer arrived! 20 degrees so set off for Dent. 55 miles with 1300m of climbing. Had a lovely ride up Kingdale which comprises two farms and a gated road. The road climbs fairly steadily to 450 m then drops vertically into Dent dale. Ive been watching the giro and the commentator seems to consider any mountain decent with bends and gravel as ‘technical‘. I had those but also a random gate just after a 20 percent section and even more random sheep to negotiate! I also noted that the pros take on gels before a climb so I stopped at the cafe in Dent for a Wensleydale cheese sandwich. Then climbed up Gawthrop to Barbondale. Had the unnerving experience of the back wheel partially deflating until the sealant plugged the hole, added air on a couple of occasions on way home but it might need a plug to help it seal.

Here’s Kingdale, the descent into Dentdale and Dent. The cobble street confused cycle.travel which thought it wasn’t a proper road and was all for sending me on a detour.

Last edited:

Shack

A snoring wife saw early doors for me this morning, and great to get a few miles in before the heat of the day. I'd spotted an amusing sounding place on the map the other day, and only about A scenic (but hilly) 20 miles away, and this seemed a great opportunity.
Shortly after 7 I set off from Cullompton and took the long road over to Tiverton, then started to hit some not so gentle, but rolling hills, out through Rackenford and the looping back from Batworthy (stopping briefly at my amusing Fanny's Cross)
Heading south towards and through Withridge and back to Tiverton passing Nomansland (graffitied as somepoint to say snowmansland) I spotted a sign pointing to Bickleigh 4, so at 7 crosses headed up some rough single track lanes and a massive and often steep descent towards the River Exe (having come down that way I have no desire to cycle up it)
The Bridge still isn't open so the opportunity (different bike and direction) to take another photo proved too strong.
Then home pretty much the reverse of my Friday ride.
56 miles and about 3600' of climbing.
A good use of a Sunday morning

pawl

Legendary Member
I had stupidly left getting a metric century ride in for the monthly challenge my plan for completing it yesterday were blown out of the water due to personal circumstances so after a restless night I found myself awake at 0600 after much faffing and procrastination and I found a little bit of motivation and was out the door at 0800 a bit chilly but in shorts for a change . Up through Newtown Linford turned to climb up to Markfield ,Botcheston ,Barestone ,Carlton ,Market Bosworth ,Upton and back to Desford were I encountered complete gridlock due to the main road being closed and the diversion being down a residential st with loads of parked cars add a large horse box result gridlock ( or it could have been @pawl badly parked car ) I took to the pavement to get by . Back to my home village ,halfway took a lot of will power to turn away from home and take on another 50km loop . Did a standard loop of mine out to Wymeswold and back . Home with 67 miles in the bag . The ride certainly helped clear my head and allowed a bit of thinking time for some big life choices coming my way . Nice to be out in summer gear

I must have been there at more or less the same time as youI had to do exactly the same as you horse box coming in one direction a rather large lorry the opposite.Like you i to took to the pavement There always a lot of cars parked on that road and round by the church Get there at the wrong time and there are CoOp lorries delivering

Not my car honest guv wrong part of the village
Road was still closed this morning Problem was a spillage of asphalt Fire service had to place dams to prevent it entering the drainage system

chriswoody

Legendary Member
We not only had sun today, but it was warm, bloomin warm. I actually rode in shorts and t-shirt for the first time this year. I headed out North and over the glider school runway. They were preparing the gliders and the cables for the launch were laid out. I'm always amazed at how small they are, not much thicker than the gear cable on my bike. From here it was North into the woods and the shade was welcome for once.

The first trails are rough and narrow twisting through the trees, all around the scenery is changing from Silver Birch to regimented rows of spruce.

Soon I'm leaving behind the rough trails and I'm out onto the gravel fire roads. My speed increases and I'm soon seeing speeds of 30 odd kilometres on the computer. I'm getting insects up my nose and all over, the warm air is wafting over me and I couldn't be happier, finally some good weather to warm my soul. I continue North and the sands of Wildech defeat me, they have dried out to a fine powder and my tires finally founder. A short section of hike a bike ensues to firmer ground and I'm on my way again. The trail has now turned to gravel again as it rises and falls between the trees and brings me out to Angelsbeck Teich.

Despite the photo its actually teeming with people and in complete contrast to the forest trails before and after it. I feel grateful that for what ever reason folk never seem to drift much from the honey spots and I largely have my forest rides to myself.

A few more kilometres on perfect gravel there is a small lake and I take a break here for a flapjack. The pond is teeming with life, thousands of tadpoles are swimming along under numerous red dragon flies, many of which are mating. The noise of numerous other insects and birds fills the air and I relax for a while soaking it all in.

The gravel roads here are sublime, really wide and open, rising and falling between the trees without a soul to be seen.

Before long I'm back into Reberralah from a direction I don't normally come and turning off towards home. Several kilometres of gravel later and I'm back onto tarmac for the last part down to home. I roll into the garden warm, dusty and covered in insects, it's been such a joy to have a warm ride after the coldest spring I can remember. Overall it's been just shy of 44km today and for a change I don't need to hose the bike down.

1622403773530.png

27 miles in glorious sunshine. Very slow (as always), need to up my cycling game but nevertheless really enjoyed the outing

AndreaJ

Veteran
At last it’s actually warm and sunny could even be called hot and sunny. It was already warm when I set off for the first time this year, started off to Loppington with a loop to Brown Heath and English Frankton heading back into Loppington to turn by the pub to Nonely and onto Myddle. Down Lower Road , which was nice and cool in the shade from the woods , to Merrington , Old Woods , Eyton, over the little railway crossing to Baschurch. Took the turning to Weston Lullingfields hoping that the road was closed last time to fix the potholes which unfortunately it wasn’t, carried on to Bagley where I turned to Lee and into Ellesmere which was very busy for a Sunday. Turned up Swan Hill to Coptiviney past a decorated traffic cone in a pothole!,Welshampton, turned off by the church to Lyneal, Northwood and home. It was very warm by the time I got home although I did see a few other cyclists out looking slightly overdressed for the weather! 37.48 miles with no floods or mud.
2C100E76-CE8F-46A3-B655-3EF3760664C2.jpeg

351DE345-2AA2-42FC-B626-CC0517B2819A.jpeg

2E6EC205-51C1-47DB-A7FC-4095D9BCD027.jpeg

B02BE0CD-13E9-4826-9A6E-1074306488A4.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Midday Sunday and after lengthy wait to turn right onto the A59 and then queuing traffic to overtake the bridleway section of Bilton Lane was a different world.

Back on the A59 downhill to Knaresborough the sight of red brake lights ahead just turned out to be a queue from the pedestrian crossing beyond High Bridge, but having taken my High Street/Waterside avoidance route TTLs had reappeared at the crossroads with the A59. Through Kirk Deighton and then east to head north on the A168 to the 4th letter AZ of Walshford; the white rendered house is on an old alignment of the A1 that remains as a pair of dead ends serving the village.

East pass Hunsingore to Cattal

South-east to reach Askham Richard where a bench was acquired for a short while. Further on and a cyclepath alongside the A64

and then along NCN65 to reach Naburn

After a loop of the village retraced my route, the Wahoo started squealing and I stopped by Saturn which made a convenient table to swop the sportscams sd cards

Believing I should have left the NCN backtracked and did, turning left and found myself back at the Naburn sign. Take two and this time the Wahoo ignored and the NCN left after crossing the River Ouse.

The Ship Inn at Acaster Malbis had a long queue of intending patrons outside. Into Copmanthorpe the Wahoo did mitigate itself by alerting me to two wrong turnings.
Headed to Wighill, gaining a number of PRs, for a snack break on a shady bench by the church. More PRs to Wetherby; pass All Terrian Cycles I was slightly bemused by double yellow line with a third white lines on their outside. Via Kirk and North Deightons to Spofforth and another shady bench.
Opted to go via Follifoot to Rudding Lane where the TLs on bridge stayed green to help progress on the climb beyond.
58.35 miles 2090ft climbed 13.6mph avg

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
DD673C9A-E551-4292-B674-F622FF8975CF.jpeg

(Sorry! No idea why you have my head right at the start!)

What an incredible day! Sunshine and blue skies, I feel a million pounds lighter and happier!
Today we met friends from our lives in California, Brits who have recently moved back. We met just outside Newbury. My husband and son has football in the morning so they drove directly from footie and I cycled the 38 miles. It was utter heaven!
I’d done the 25 miles to Hungerford before but in this weather it was a treat! Blue skies, lush green leaves, I was so happy! Stopped in Hungerford for cake and coffee and then rode new roads to our meeting spot! I just love the cow parsley lining the lanes! Felt strong and fit all the ride, just so grateful to be a cyclist on a day like this!
21928910-E147-4D61-857F-3EDC3FED1822.jpeg

0FA29DD0-8DDA-403D-B5B0-83142FBBC3F6.jpeg

2CC23FB2-B0F4-4484-A1FC-B5A639CAA205.jpeg

The

C R

Guru
There was promise of sun and warmth in the forecast for yesterday, so decided to go for a bit of a longer route, aiming to take in three counties.

I woke up before five, and I couldn't go back to sleep, so decided to get a move on, as the sun was already out.

Had breakfast, got ready, and out of door at six. As the forecast was for sun I decided on shorts and short sleeves. This seemed a bit optimistic setting off, but out of the shade it wasn't too bad.

Route plan was to go over the Malverns into Herefordshire, then loop south into Gloucestershire to then turn back north for home. So first head to Malvern via Powick and Jennet Tree Ln, then Madresfield and up towards Church St, that last bit doesn't get any easier. Stopped for a breather by the Post Office, and then on towards the Wyche. This bit did feel easier than last time, and I wasn't too badly out of breath when I got to the top. The view towards Worcester was somewhat misty under the bright sunshine.
20210530_071036.jpg

Now, through the first county boundary of the morning into Herefordshire
20210530_071251.jpg

From here followed Jubilee Dr to British Camp, and then the quick descent down the A449 to Ledbury. This is a good place to let the bike speed up, as the surface is reasonable, and lines of sight are good, but I was a bit cautious still, and my top speed was only 35mph.

The traffic lights at the entrance in Ledbury took an age to change. After the traffic lights it was a left for the A417 towards Gloucester, rounding the southern end of the Malverns. Shortly the next county boundary came, now going into Gloucestershire
20210530_074620.jpg

and a different view of the Malverns
20210530_074646.jpg

They don't look as impressive from this side, surrounded by other Hills.

I continued on the A417 until reaching Staunton. According to the road signs this is a Chartist settlement
20210530_080837.jpg

I remember studying the Chartists in high school in the context of the labour movements in Europe during the middle of the nineteenth century, so will have to look this up.

By now the road has fully rounded the Malverns and they are now to the north west
20210530_080829.jpg

Time for me to start heading back, with a left turn at Staunton, through Corse Lawn and back into Worcestershire
20210530_081741.jpg

The route takes me to Long Green, then Longdon and into Upton. Worcestershire County Council have been busy with the gravel and tar along this road, and most of the nine miles to Upton are bone shaking, energy sapping sodding barstard surface dressed. I think it must be a plot from the county council to deter cyclists from using these lanes. To make my work harder, a bit of a headwind was picking up, and clouds were covering the sun, so the temperature was dropping.

From Upton the head wind was a bit of a pain going through Earls Croome and Kinnersley, but I just enjoyed the ride, keeping my legs turning until I made it home.

Great ride, if slightly longer than I am comfortable with at the moment, but nice to explore new places.

The map
Screenshot_20210530-103422_Connect.jpg

Old jon

Guru
It did feel a bit cold this morning. But based on the principle that today’s weather is likely to be similar to yesterday’s, I reckoned it would warm up later. So I went for a bike ride. On the Bob Jackson.

Leeds and Liverpool towpath to Viaduct Road, after wandering around a bit of Holbeck. Up out of the valley to Headingley and more up to cross the Ring Road. And take the left branch onto Otley Old Road to pedal up to the water tower at Cookridge. All this climbing seemed to be a bit easy, then the penny dropped. Tailwind, thank you.

Carry on to the first left turn in Bramhope, just past the sighting tower. This, and another left turn, goes to the Bradford Harrogate road, straight across that. A zag and a zig points me at the road across the top of the Chevin, passing the Royalty pub on the way to Guiseley. A right turn here, sort of Menston direction, and another right on a terrible junction is the Otley road. After a navigation error, posh way of saying missed my turning, I reached the park by the riverside for a munch stop. This was needed, the climb up to Farnley is next. And after a road goes up, it has to descend.

After crossing the River Washburn, Pool is next. Then the road out to Arthington for that uphill bit called Creskeld Lane, to Bramhope’s busier side. Kings Road and Golden Acre Park lead to Adel and the downhill starts. Headingley to Kirkstall, and the decision to ride on the roads into Leeds’ centre. There were a lot of other folk going the same way. Anyway, a bit of a wander, Victoria Bridge over the Aire and the meander to home. Thirty six miles, big grin, and over 2300 feet of that up stuff. I liked that.

Road knots, and underwater riding on the elevation trace . . .

31052021.jpg

3105elev.jpg

Top Bottom