Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Another pootle about in The Yorkshire Dales. Met up with friends Martin and Gaynor at 10.45 for a gentle ride after yesterday’s epic walk.
29.24 miles with an average of 12.8 mph.

Mburton1993

Über Member
In retrospect, sun cream would've been smart.

Also, very hilly.

And then that later on...

Luckily the sun had sodded off by then.

In retrospect, sun cream would've been smart.
Seconded.
A long one for me, but it wasn't going to be any better than today. Started off by swapping the Charge Spoon onto the Revell mixte, then away!
Lots of walkers, absolutely loads of cyclists, although enough empty bits to enable a reasonable average, for me, that is.
Several times over the course of the ride, I smelt that P Fairy essense, Eau D'escaping Air. Wasn't mine, though. Of course, this means I'll go outside tomorrow and find two flats...
Strangely, the bike felt as if it had soft tyres at times, but several checks revealed nada.

A good deal breezier than the forecast led me to believe, but meant I had some assistance on the return, when it was sorely needed.
Stats:

At least it brings the monthly total to something slightly better than dire!
When I got to the end of the path at Plymstock, in a fairly new housing estate, I noticed with interest that more cycle route had been added, starting out along Billacombe Road:

The dotted green line is the path from Laira Bridge, the solid green line is the footpath to the shops. The red line shows the very nice and quite wide new path. At about the red arrowhead, there's a new turn-off not shown on Google Maps, and the path appears to stop here for the moment.

A long one for me, and am now about to go to bed and try and relax and read for a bit, but suspect I will be asleep fairly quickly!
:biggrin:

Two rides today. Ride #1 was with Beautiful Wife who needed to go to an office to deal with some voluntary work related admin, and a quick scouting trip to find some destinations for Beautiful Daughter's mini bike tour this afternoon.

2021_05_31_Parksiedlung_01.jpg

After dropping off Beautiful Wife, I set out for a 30 minute round trip to the next town.

2021_05_31_Parksiedlung_02.jpg

New mural on the frankly rather ugly school in Nellingen.

2021_05_31_Parksiedlung_04.jpg

Parksiedlung church while waiting for Beautiful Wife.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Haven't really done any more than a bit of non-challenging urban commuting on the bike this year, so set off this morning to explore some Surrey Hills, primarily the Greensand Ridge; Coldharbour Lane, a quick stop in Ralph Vaughn Williams's garden, and a bit of Whitedown.
Totally exhausted by a mere 21 miles.

1622485973007.png

1622486198076.png

1622486257101.png

1622486301697.png

Ride #2. This was a surprise for Beautiful Daughter who wanted to go on a tour of local playgrounds. I picked her up with the Xtracycle longtail bike, which meant I could tow her bike and carry her through our hilly and rather busy village, then drop her off at the top of the hill.
2021_05_31_Parksiedlung_05.jpg

However, she insisted on riding the whole route by herself...
2021_05_31_Parksiedlung_07.jpg

Bikes in the shade behind a frankly bizzaire climbing frame.

2021_05_31_Parksiedlung_09.jpg

We also had a picnic, which is another vital element for a perfect bike tour.

2021_05_31_Parksiedlung_06.jpg

The first playground wasn't very exciting so we went in search of something a bit more adventurous. Buildings to the right are former US air base.

Fortunately I knew of a recently refurbished playground, which had a "huuuge slide". Which claimed Beautiful Daughters full and undivided attention for at least an hour. I had to go with her for the first three rides, then she went on her own and after another five she forgot I was there...

2021_05_31_Parksiedlung_10.jpg

I only got her to leave when Beautiful Wife sent a text promising ice cream.

13.1 km and 60m climbing, not including running up that hill for the slide. Not bad on a single speed with 12" wheels...

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another hot, sunny day but a change to my planned route after reading reports on the local Facebook page about a male cyclist riding round Whixall wearing just a sun hat!!!!!This is on my list of things to be avoided when possible along with school run traffic and church going traffic.
I set off in the opposite direction to Loppington turning by the duck pond to Lyneal, PikesEnd , Colemere, around Colemere back into Lyneal, Welshampton, Breadon Heath and Bettisfield. Back to Northwood passing the first lane home to go down Ossage Lane, Poolhead, Foxholes across the crossroads and back home. Quite a few cyclists and walkers out in the sun , all fully clothed. 23.4 miles.
DAD4A064-56AB-4C93-8EB7-2888692B1062.jpeg

The Highland cattle were a bit warm and one had gone for a quick paddle in the pond.
2D011F1D-E16A-4FE1-95B9-3E77B1D50949.jpeg

FCED4BA0-9B0F-41E1-A52F-5D1F5780328D.jpeg

9885B89B-4DE7-4DCA-A145-C7CBB73FEEF7.jpeg

0464A544-5B0C-45BA-8BCB-08659774C8E4.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Monday afternoon and it had warmed up after a pretty cool start to the day; an ebiked shopping trip to Asda with mitts rather than gloves was not the best idea earlier in the morning. The Defy back to Ripley initially; it was slightly better, slightly worse traffic wise compared to Saturday - either way a new PR on the village bypass. Around the Nidd Brearton route and onto Scotton, the “Bansky” still on the pub wall; the pub undergoing some renovation as a 1973 Triumph TR6 passed.

East to Farnham and the climb away only to turn north and descend swinging back towards east to reach the 4th letter AZ of Staveley with its church dating from 1864.

A bench break before continuing onto Minskip, the wrong way on the old southbound A1, now A168, and west to Roecliffe pausing under a shady tree while a group of visitors studied the village library, once a phonebox. Onto Bishop Monkton for another break on a streamside bench. Up Moor Road once again but this time carried on west through Markington and up the climbs beyond and into Bishop Thornton on the route of NCN67 for another bench break. Southwards and the brakes on full to stop halfway down the decent to Shaw Mills.

I left the NCN for the shorter route to Ripley; avoiding climbing all the way to the top of Clint Bank for the climb of Law Lane instead and thereafter the descent of the lower two thirds of Bedlam Bank.
A Classic Vehicle Show was underway in one of the fields on the approach to Ripley, presumably where that TR6 may have been heading.
A slow ride along a busy NCN67 to the A61 crossing and then back through Killinghall; beyond a dead badger that had been at the edge of the carriageway on Saturday was still there and rather ripexx(
33.34 miles, 1473ft climbed, 13.7 mph avg

Last edited:

Mburton1993

Über Member
This evening's,

Not as far, not as hilly.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Playing catch-up again, as I have quite a lot this year.:shy:

Thursday: The first day of the weather actually feeling as warm as it looked, and I decided to give the Galaxy the shakedown ride I've been putting off due to the poor weather through most of May. Having had intermittent gear shifting problems on this bike for some time I've replaced the outer chainring and the front derailleur needed resetting after all the previous tinkering.

I didn't have time for anything too long so set out to do the reverse of the theroute from the previous morning (Condover, Cross Houses, Cound, Harnage, Acton Burnell). At the start of the ride it was just warm enough to be out in shorts and a t-shirt and warmed up as I went round. Not much in the way of wind so wasn't going to have to battle into it at any point.

The roads weren't too busy and the ride was mostly uneventful which is good. Even the flag at Cound was unchanged from the previous day. There were a handful of other cyclists out and about but not many.

En-route to Longnor there is a small bridge by Frodesley Lane Farm which is weak and the council's solution (temporary I hope) is to put a thick layer of tarmac like an oversized speed hump over it. Approaching this I could hear the vehicle approaching behind me accelerate and I seriously thought the guy was going to go for the overtake across this hump. Fortunately he thought better of it otherwise the result would likely have looked like one of the stunts from the Dukes of Hazzard.:laugh:

The lane from Longnor to Ryton was unusually busy with traffic so I ended up having to pause a few times, then as a contrast the roads after that were a bit quieter than usual giving a nice clear run.

24 miles at 15.2 mph average. The gears shifted exactly as they should all ride so hopefully that is sorted now and I can enjoy this bike more.^_^

Just a couple of snaps from this ride. This is the weather I've been waiting for all Spring.

Sunday: Another lovely sunny day and despite some aches (I was helping demolish an old patio on Saturday) a ride was called for. I decided to use the Raleigh for this one as that has also not had much use during May and this time headed out towards Melverley.

It was sunny and warm again with a brisk easterley wind which would be helping for the first half of the ride then I'd have to turn back into it later. I headed for Shelton and Montford Bridge to start with then took to the marked cycle route along the lanes to Montford, Shrawardine and Wilcott, enjoying the shunshine and the views.

At Wilcott I decided to head along the lanes that Gav took me on last time I came this way so rode through Kintonand up towards Knockin Heath. Apart from one van in a tearing hurry this was all some pretty relaxed riding and the lanes are dusty rather than muddy as they were last time. Heading into Kinnerley I took the Vicarage Lane turn again but from Argoed headed the more direct way to Melverley via Cross Lanes.

The bridge at Melverley had more cars parked up nearby than I'm used to seeing and this turned out to be people having come down for a bit of boating. At Crew Green I took a right and enjoyed the last bit of tailwind for the time being before climbing up towards Bulthy and dropping down to Wollaston then Halfway House. With Bank Holiday traffic being in full flow it took a little while to cross the Welshpool road on the way to Westbury. Most rides I'd head for Nox from here but didn't think that would be fun into the wind this time, so went to Asterley instead and had a tour of the lanes to Farley then Pontesbury. Another little detour round the side streets of Pontesbury gave a change of scene and avoided the main road for a bit, then I headed for Plealey, Exford's Green and Hunger Hill. I thought that if the A49 was really busy I'd head through Little Lyth but I managed to catch a gap in the traffic so decided to add a bit of mileage and go through Condover. This was unexpectedly busy but on the plus side, I picked up a tailwind for the last couple of miles or so and got along quite nicely, overtaking another rider on the way.

A fraction over 40 miles at 13.9 mph average. A great ride in some properly nice weather. It did surprise me that there weren't more cyclists out - I only saw about as many as I'd see on an ordinary weekday. Perhaps everyone was at the coast?:scratch:

Plenty of holiday weekend traffic moving about as I cross the A5 at Montford Bridge. The scream of motorbikes has been the soundtrack of the weekend for those of us living near this road.

A pause at Montford.

Shrawardine Castle.

View to the Breidden from near Kinton.

One of the old ammunition bunkers near Kinnerley

Crossing the River Severn at Melverley.

Not much more than a mile from the previous photo I'm plodding up the steep climb into the hills.

The windmill near Asterley.

Shack

So I made it over the border to cornwall, a hot, sunny, busy, windy and rather hilly but ever so gorgeous Cornwall, the family were using the old Eden passes and I had a 'free pass' to stick the bike on the back and head out.
Exploring the Clay trails and Pentwyn valley trail meant I'd never be breaking any records but I had a good 3 hours , 20 odd Mike's and couple of thousand feet of lanes and a couple of harbours (Charlestown and Mevagissey)
As always the routes had some well signed sections and others where you needed the force to sense your way (or carry on a bit and then turn around)

Attachments

• IMG_20210601_132111039_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210601_132111039_HDR.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210601_134437499_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210601_134437499_HDR.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210601_143536049_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210601_143536049_HDR.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210601_144131221_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210601_144131221_HDR.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 5

theloafer

Legendary Member
another nice sunny day.... up early and out as i had to be back before 4pm (walking group meet)... a few mates did the butter tubs yesterday so not been that way in ages thought lets give it a go, went via Piecebridge Aldbrough St john Richmond past the ranges where the army boys were blowing stuff up.
on to Redmire past Castle Bolton on to Askrigg then at the foot of the tubs had a banana and psyched myself for the climb.had no grief from tourist traffic on the way up ..though it was very light , but at the top when taking photo,s a few sports cars seemed to be using it as a race track :cursing: the ride down was brill.at the bottom as i had lots of battery left and plenty of time i decided to turn left and head up to Tan Hill... had coffee and toasted teacake at Thwaite. then headed of for the last climb of the day ,
it was much longer than i remembered lol longish but not steep (well once you get past the start) 25%.
the pub was very busy so just took a pic and was on my way, heading along the track to Bowes , the dropped in to Barnard castle out along the A67 as time was getting on. used my usual route back bolam up to Shildon then along the cycle path to home back by 3-35 and feeling a little weary :laugh: , just in time to shower and get read for a 6 mile walk ..been an excellent day sure beats working
Butter tubs and Tan Hill | Ride | Strava 89 miles 6352ft

castle bolton

top of the butter tubs

one of thr Tubs (where they stored the butter)

the nasty hairpin up to Tan Hill

short cut back to Bowes

now thats cutting it fine ^_^^_^:laugh::laugh:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Some great photos, guys. Keep 'em coming. Truly inspiring stuff.

After a few longer rides lately, I've had a couple of pub rides. On Friday I did a really slow ride with my old work colleague Simon. Out along the west bank of the Severn to Maisemore, Ashleworth and Lower Lode, where we stopped at the Lower Lode PH for a couple of pints of cider and loads of putting the world to rights. On the way back we detoured to another couple of our regular riverside pub stops, but without imbibing. Finished on 33 miles in exactly the time it took me to ride 71 miles to Severn Beach and back recently!

The second pub ride was with @KingswayRider tonight. A much brisker ride, out to Frocester and Cam, then back via Frampton on Severn and stopping at the Anchor Inn in Epney for a pint. Lovely sunshine on the riverbank, and we bumped into another clubmate. Made it back home on 32 miles at exactly 9.00pm without the need for lights. Summer is finally here.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
36 miles to the coast and back on my old Dawes... a windy ride to the Rendezvous Cafe at Whitley Bay for a (socially distanced) coffee while the sea fret burned off.

Attachments

• BED75C10-4CA8-43B8-98D0-F8F584AE70F2.jpeg
    BED75C10-4CA8-43B8-98D0-F8F584AE70F2.jpeg
    59.3 KB · Views: 3
  • C01AF32F-C35D-47E1-BFA4-B4C0A7BB2D9F.jpeg
    C01AF32F-C35D-47E1-BFA4-B4C0A7BB2D9F.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Top Bottom