Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out at 11.45am for a nice steady ride out to Birkin via Wistow Lordship & Selby. The cafe at Birkin had pretty much run out of food so we found a new cafe at the old Post Office in South Milford, very nice.
31.32 miles with an average of 15.4 mph.

Okay, first ride on the Revell mixte with a 2x9 setup. Works well. Needed only a couple of in-ride tweaks to the shifter barrel adjuster to get it perfick.
Did feel significantly different, however. As I pootled along, it finally occurred to me why. The 11-34 8-speed cassettes I've been using are essentially an 11-28 7-speed road block with a 34t dinner plate attached, the so-called mega-range gear. And that 7-speed cluster is a nice set of speeds. The 9-speed cassette is spread completely evenly from 12 to 36t, so the feel is very different.
Anyhow, the ride. Fabulous weather, although still pretty cool on the NCN270 bit along the Tavistock Viaduct walk, most of which is in a deep cutting. Really irritating long-term TTLs at the meeting with Callington Road, and they will be around a while yet. Down the steep slope of Monksmead, across the canal, and away. Once heading out of town, it got busier, plenty of folk walking and cycling. The aim today was to get to Clearbrook-ish, and then fiddle around there and on the return to get 18 miles on the clock. Turnaround point was dead on 9 miles, so needed something extra, as my standard return route is a little shorter than the outbound.
Once back at Leg O'Mutton, left the trail and went out onto what was once Harrowbeer airfield, and carried on out to Crapstone. Yes, really! Dog-leg there and head back toward Horrabridge, and after a screaming downhill section, rejoin NCN27. Pootle home.
Stats:

Nice ride in the sun.

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
just a nice easy ride today in the sunshine,.. on my normal loop towards barny -winston -and back through Eppleby for coffee and scone then headed for Darlington as i needed to be over by the A167 for my other coffee stop at cozy coffee. realised when in Darlington that my better half was in the office today so called her and we had coffee and munches.(the joys of not working) . head out through the cycle paths to the top of north road and joined cycle path along side the A167 to Brafferton and my third coffee and cake at the Cozy coffee ,if my rides keep this up going to be a few pounds heavier :whistle: .back home via off road track over the A1m then through Aycliffe village.
46 miles ... Morning Ride | Ride | Strava

coffee with the boss

Cozy coffee cafe

Melon and white choc ...bloody lovely

Landsurfer

Veteran
Looks like a good day for a ride on the fixed, or any bike really. The fixed has only been ridden five times this year, including today’s ride, and it is a fun thing to ride. Mayhap not to everyone’s taste, but anyway, away we went.

In the direction of Holbeck, the beck itself has to be crossed to reach Office Lock and the towpath. No surprises today, off the towpath at Viaduct Road and ride up to Headingley. Reached Lawnswood and decided to ride through Adel, to stop in the car park opposite the church, the phone had burbled at me. The message was not the one I was waiting for, so on I went. Over the dam, the road rises beside Golden Acre Park, all the way to the top of Kings Road.

Down the hill to Bramhope, wondering, ‘Should I ride down Creskeld Lane?’ After all, it has been climbed a few times this year, could almost be an obsession. Nah, stay on the A660, through Bramhope and enjoy the view across Wharfefdale after cresting the rise by the puritan chapel. Ride to the lights at the Dyneley Arms and twiddle down Pool Bank.

And then to Otley. Not seen the maypole for quite a while, there is still only the tall one there. It is also some time since I rode that two mile drag called Leeds Road, out of Otley. A bite and sup, and off I pedalled. Still a drag, but there is a view now and then, some sort of reward I think. Pass the Dyneley again, and through Bramhope in the opposite direction. Stay on the A660 all the way to Headingley.

Traffic increased a bit there, quite a queue to turn right for Kirkstall and the way on to the towpath again. It is only eleven o’ clock, the canal might just be quiet. And the towpath was, but the water had six boats to float on the three miles or so back to Office Lock. And home. A big grin, thirty one miles along, 1473 feet upwards, a very satisfying ride in so many ways.

Gardoodles!

View attachment 592130

View attachment 592131

My friend Pete did LEJOG on fixed with myself and a bunch of WIMPS 2 years ago .... tuff nut !!!

Landsurfer

Veteran
Lovely morning ... I could get used to this .. but won’t I suspect ...
Bit of a poodle and a leg stretch for tomorrows longer ride around Tickhill this morning ..

Boring photo of a bike on a bridge over the A1 ... but the road is gated at each end ... which is weird .... lots of “honey mummies” striding over the bridge carrying the drinks bottles they never seem to ever drink from involved in chatathons ... ^_^

In Tickhill itself the church is having a makeover or Grayson Perry has put up another of his “art” installations ...

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A rare ride today, and on my Spa too!

The unusual sight of a Freisian bull out with the ladies. He became agitated, scraping the ground with his hooves and bellowing, so I left them in peace.

Almost 20 miles through flower filled lanes. Grey skies and mizzle.
Cirl Bunting, Yellowhammers, kestrel and buzzard.

Jolly good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5417688352

Mike_P

Guru
Midday Saturday and the Wahoo annoyed almost immediately as I decided after last week to skip the right turn onto the A59 and opted instead for the climb of Humps and a Hill and a left turn onto the A road, which still took ages. Knaresborough was the same with queuing traffic over High Bridge and then heading east out of the town a set of TTLs. Further on queueing traffic at the bypass roundbout obviously was the final straw for the Defy which promptly had a falling out of the chain with the chainrings. That fixed and continued east before turning north to 4th letter ABC of Flaxby. The A59 use to pass through many decades ago, turning right onto the A1 and then left off. The road layout still gives priority to what is now a dead end road.

Onto Arkendale then east to Great Ouseburn for a shady snack break in a shelter on the village green. Across Aldwark toll bridge and east of Tollerton a deserted A19 crossed to reach Huby. Turned north to Crayke for a photo of bike next to a sign in front of a lot of the village and the church; did not fancy climbing to the church and the only available bench for a snack break was in the full glare of the sun.

West through Easingwold to Thornton Bridge where a brief pause was rewarded by a pretty clear if distant view of Kilburn White Horse.

South west through Boroughbridge and another full glare of the sun bench at Staveley, then a cloud covered the sun and stayed there for the drag up to the crossroads outside Farnham. West to Ripley and home through Killinghall. 56.1 miles 1903ft climbed 14.8mph avg.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Just a little ride around the usual lanes of Felixstowe, Falkenham, Kirton, Newbourne, Waldingfield & Marltesham while doing a bit of shoppping and enjoying the warmth, sunshine and colour in the verges.
Falkenham.jpg

1622930403041.png
1622930426404.png

I start the new job next week, and one of the things weighing on my mind was the longer commute, up from about 5k (3 mi) one way to about 15k (9 miles).

For some reason this was becoming a bit of a mental block, and the only way to change this seemed to be to actually ride it, and show myself that it really wasn't a big deal. It only has about 10m of up, for goodness sake, how hard could it be?

Of course, as I set off it started to rain. Summer was last week apparently.

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_01.jpg

Leaving my village. The river was a bit higher than usual.

About 35 million years ago, the mantle in the earths crust sank between what is now Basel and Frankfurt, creating a rift valley 300 kilometres (190 mi) long and 50 kilometres (31 mi) wide and changing the direction of the Rhine from Basel from west to north. To the delight of future cyclists, this valley then filled up with sediment leaving a wide flat flood plain.

You'd think that being in a flat region with relatively cycle friendly policies this would mean I'm spoiled for choice. Unfortunately "flood plain" means what it says so there's a complex network of drainage channels wriggling haphazardly across the landscape, and only a limited number of bridges over them, meaning the choice of routes is pretty limited unless I feel like making large detours.

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_02.jpg

On the other hand, there are generally cycleways alongside the main roads, so traffic is noisy, rather than threatening.

This section of the commute follows the local "B" road, which is like an "A" road in the UK, and is straight, if a little dull. Despite promising myself I'd take my time, I found myself running out of upper gears in the middle ring, which I took as a good sign. On the other hand the humidity was making my work clothes a bit clammy, so I resisted the temptation to bung the chain on the big ring and charge along newly surfaced cycle lanes: I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for that when I'm late for work.

The meagre drizzle laid off as I followed the cycleway north, leaving only a few droplets on the bike. These dried as I rode leaving a sort of leopard skin pattern in the pollen and dust that had gathered on the frame. The path continued past small villages in the valley sides, squeezed in to avoid wasting good farmland, and close to the local castle for when mirauders came across the plains.

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_03.jpg

The only sizeable town between me and my new employer offers the choice is between riding through the old centre or along an "agricultural road" following the edge of the hills. As the town government recently rebuilt the centre at great expense, taking great care to make sure there was plenty of parking for cars and very little space for bikes, the quieter agricultural road is the route of choice.

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_04.jpg

It could be worse.

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_05.jpg

At the north of the town, the cycleway restarted; Herbolzheim is 4km away according to the sign, but this is a cruel deception; the sign refers to the edge of the town where the next speed limit begins. Work is a bit further away.

The agricultural roads form a network for pedestrians and cyclists, all traffic tree with the exception of the occasional tractor. This section is a zigzag between fields of wheat and potatoes, stained red by poppies. I was happily trundling along appreciating the scenery when It dawned that it had an unfamiliar feel, and I realised I'd missed a turning somewhere.

Eventually I found the way, reached the edge of Herbolzheim, and promptly missed the next turning in a nondescript mass of housing on the edge of the town.

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_06.jpg

Note to self: the signpost ís there for a reason...

This was the final section, through the houses to the industrial estate where work, unfortunately is situated in a building so full of 1990's ugliness I won't spoil your day by putting a photo on here. Depressingly, it didn't particularly stand out in the ugliness all around.

I did find the 10m hill promised on the route planner though:

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_07.jpg

The return was a bit more relaxed, i.e. slower, because as is often the case there was a headwind. The wind seems to blow to the north in the mornings, and then change to a generally southerly direction in the afternoons, at least that was my impression at my last job to the south of my apartment, and I'm trying to be optimistic by telling myself it will work in my favour this time around.

I also had to do some shopping at the "Drogerie Markt", the local version of "Boots" In another burst of optimism I bought sun lotion. We shall see...

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_10.jpg

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_11.jpg

Back around the next town. Apparently this route is not only the "Breisgau cycleway" but also the "Upper Rhine Roman Cycleway." Part of me is delighted at the fact I get to ride on a tourist route every day, but my natural pessimism suggests this just means it'll be full of tourists in summer if the lockdown is eased.

2021_06_05_Commute_Test_12.jpg

I took the scenic route back, as this detour is about 100m in total and much prettier and quieter than following the main road I think it will become a regular feature.

It took 48 minutes to get to work, which included pictures and wandering off down the wrong road on two occasions, so I think I can safely allow fifty for the ride. I just have to look on it as time gained cycling and reducing waistline, rather than time lost commuting...

Every summer, whenever I get a little bored of my local one hour road rides, I head for the hills. The South Downs Way (SDW) specifically, on my ancient hybrid. This was my first foray for 10 months. By the twenty minute mark, I had already spent more time stopped than riding due to two unscheduled stops.

After crossing the busy A24 dual carriageway to start part two of the climb I glanced behind and noticed a guy approaching at speed. Strange, I thought, he was not there when I crossed the road. He sped by. Not for long, I pondered as he was on a road bike with thin tyres. Coming level with him, I heard him muttering that 'this did not look right'. So I stopped to ask if he need any assistance. He was aware that if this was the way up on the SDW then tarmac would disappear shortly and he would need a different route. I confirmed this and with 25 on the front and 28 at the rear, his tyres were totally inappropriate. I gave him general directions on smaller back roads towards the village he was heading for. I set off again to the ridge top.

Before crossing the A24, I had stopped to ask a guy with a rear wheel off his mountain bike if he needed any assistance. he muttered something about a puncture, so I stopped. He appeared to be struggling with plugging the sidewall of the tyre where a flint had made a nice gash. This is not uncommon on the SDW. I checked the contents of my saddle bag which only had a spare inner tube, 2 tyre levers, a latex glove and an out of date CTC membership card. I asked him if he had a fiver on him. He said he only had a tenner. Perfect, I replied. While I was bending a small piece of my plastic membership card back and forth, he was emptying the sealant liquid from inside the tyre and putting the bright orange new inner tube in place. Soon I had a small piece of plastic, however he was reluctant to use this inside the tyre because he was afraid the sharp corners would tear his new inner tube. I suggested if he folded his cash around the plastic piece it would make a strong temporary patch over his sidewall hole. he tried this, slowly inflated the tyre and all looked good. He seemed much happier, thanked me and then told me his name and he was attempting the south downs double, had been making good time until the puncture and check the website in a day or two to see if he made it. I wished him good luck with the remainder of the ride and went on my way.

The South Downs Double is a huge challenge. "Cycle 200 miles, climb 22,000ft and open 200 gates in under 24 hours" is the strapline. It was only yesterday that this had been posted, so please understand why 'My Ride Today' was not today but thursday. Very happy for the guy to have completed his challenge and to have helped in some tiny way.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
After a week of temperatures in the high twenties and wall to wall sunshine, the rain and thunderstorms rolled in yesterday. Today was much cooler, but the humidity was really high, creating a dank misty day. Rolling North I headed off into the forest, everything was saturated from last nights heavy rain and it was a game of dodging the deepest puddles.

Winding further North the sandy trails at Wildech provided a stern challenge. The surface looked firm, but the sand was waterlogged and sucked at my wheels, once or twice I came unstuck and had to push. All around the forest is alive with the sound of birds and a mouse scurries across the track in front of my wheels.

The misty conditions and warm air bring to mind the cloud forests of South America as the trail rises and falls between the trees. Cresting one rise I'm faced with a wild and fast downhill on perfect gravel roads. I emerge from the forest at Anglebecksteich and head up onto the Teifental.

The misty conditions bring to mind Dartmoor, though it's no where near as wild here. I follow a trail downhill and up towards the Mistlehorn Heide, a small ridge line that runs East and signifies the turning point of my ride. The path on the ridge itself is narrow and I slow down for the occasional walkers I encounter and respectfully pass them.

At the end of the ridge is a short technical downhill, followed by a sharp rooty uphill section which provides some fun as the bike slithers and squirms on the edge of traction.

I carry on riding East on some lovely singletrack trails before swinging round to the South and into a quiet section of woodland. Forestry workers have been here recently and the path is all churned up, combined with the rain it's a real quagmire and challenging to ride. Thankfully it doesn't last long and I'm soon back to nice compacted gravel and the speed picks back up.

At one point a gear change startles a deer and it turns and runs over the track in front of me and into the forest on the other side. Not long later a Buzzard swoops low overhead before wheeling off into the trees. These wonderful encounters as well as the solitude, are why I love riding the forests so much. Several fun kilometres later and I'm soon leaving the forest behind and emerging into the lanes between the fields that mark the edge of Reberllah.

From here it's through the hamlet and out onto the last gravel roads. This is always tough going, the track is rutted and awkward to ride and my legs are starting to tire. After several kilometres the track changes to tarmac, before plunging back off-road again. It's not long though before I'm leaving the gravel behind for good and hitting the last of the roads leading home and a hot coffee. Overall it was just under 53 km today on a really atmospheric and fun ride over some great trails.

Top Bottom