Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Typical, booked some days off work and the first one starts out with rain falling and a weather forecast predicting thunderstorms. As ever the weather forecast was wrong and by 1 the sun had started to appear. Just in case the weather deteriorated opted to use the ebike on some local rides and still managed to clock up 30.57 miles with 2064ft of elevation gain. Also after over a year with this ebike realised that the Wahoo would work right with it if I did a fresh sensor search rather than relying on those picked up from those on the Defy.

First ride and I started out too much on autopilot and only when thinking of the anti motor bike barrier that was approaching on the bridleway section of Bilton Lane I realised I had meant to turn up the Nidderdale Greenway, NCN67. Back tracked and a relatively quite NCN

Reverse situation to yesterday and a long wait for the TLs to cross the A61. Through Ripley and onto the reverse of yesterdays route with working TTLs now to resolve the error I had made in passing straight through Bedlam; the start of the fifth letter ABC.

The route I had plotted for yesterday avoided the place, with elsewhere intended for the fifth letter, but braking to turn right when the alternative was flying off a downhill at 30+mph was not attractive. Eastbound as I was yesterday the village nameboard is awkwardly located on the wrong side of the road at a S bend while the westbound as used today is around halfway up the climb that has various Strava segments including Adam Yates got Burnt climb. The TTLs did mean nice quiet gaps between uphill traffic to demount, reposition the bike, remount and set off up grade. Thereafter to the top of Clint Bank and down the eastern bank

An ebike PR was achieved going up Rowden Lane from Hampsthwaite to join the Defys one yesterday down it.

A long snooze then followed once again as a crossing of the A59 was required and then I discovered the road closure that I had got through yesterday was now quite comprehensively barred. Turned round and another long snooze; then along West Lane, a narrow road and oddly busy with two vehicles squeezing past for a slightly oblique turn onto Hollins Lane and the B6161 across the A59 at a roundabout to gain a cycleway towards home. 17.36 miles 1211ft elevation gained

Mug of tea and chocolate biscuit later, with the battery topped up a bit, a shopping ride into town that was interrupted by the Wahoo falling off; thankfully on a quite street; it was too close to the control panel and had not fully locked into place. 4.27 miles 367ft elevation gain.

Then the first ride repeated as far as the NCN and this time down its Starbeck Branch leading to a right turn onto the A59… Eventually got across, over the level crossing and turned off to Morrisons. Returned with 6.5kg in rucksack, crossing the A59 at a location where there is a central turning lane and again on a shared path TL crossing. 8.94 miles 486ft elevation gain.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another warm day today so headed for some shady lanes. Started off to Loppington taking the turning to Brown Heath and English Frankton as far as Pikes End. Turn off past the woods to Lyneal then follow the lanes around Colemere. Both the village and the mere here are called Colemere just to confuse people, I go round the mere and through the village back into Lyneal. Followed the lane past the caravan park to Hampton Bank then down Rowe Lane alongside the canal to Bettisfield, pothole slalom back to Northwood and carried on to Whixall as far as Hollinswood, off to Fenns Wood, over the swing bridge to Alkington, Coton, Edstaston, Paddolgreen, Horton and home. 29.05 miles.Lots of people out walking and cycling today.
The Highland cattle at Lyneal trying to stay cool, unfortunately half of them are facing the wrong way for a picture!
3B5CF61A-BD5C-47BC-A164-FBC167C8DC8E.jpeg

C7C69722-16CE-4EE4-A31B-C30FD5419560.jpeg

81FAA393-916E-416F-9FD4-5779CC644D85.jpeg

F3BEB3AB-CD9D-4B2A-B67A-9A0C7AB7C803.jpeg

Old jon

Guru
A ride in company today, sunshine and gentle breeze a free added extra. Take the Spa and head off to the meeting point.

Traffic. Queues of it, even before crossing the river at Crown Point. Wondering why is not going to clear it, riding through it will take me where I am going. Less than fun though. Once Roseville Road was reached there was no more congestion, up to the Oakwood Clock, turn left and take the less hilly route to Slaid Hill. The road from there to East Keswick will always have my vote, after leaving that village along the road to Collingham we go.

Turn left, cross the River Wharfe and the right turn goes up that sharp little climb into Linton. It is then straight on to Wetherby, and it is then my phone makes that noise. It is home time for me. Let the others know, and head out of Wetherby. Wondering which way to go, and deciding Bramham would be a good one. The A58, more direct but busier. Up the hill then, to Wattle Syke and it’s roundabouts, West Woods Road to Bramham and turn right to go towards Thorner.

Take the right branch a little later, where Thorner Road becomes Thorner Lane. A bit of up and down then left onto Milner Lane and ride on that all the way into Thorner. This is a very short visit, the right turn to Carr Lane is close. This takes me back to the A58 that I have just said is busier. Ooops! This close to Leeds, all roads are busier.

Across the Ring Road, down the hill and back past the clock before the next descent into Leeds’ centre. And Crown Point, to go south of the river. A grin at the end of the street, thirty five miles does that. The ups added to 1900 feet and the sun still shines. Pretty good all round.

The pictures, courtesy of garthing,

08062021.jpg

0806elev.jpg

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My first 100km ride in quite a while. Thought I'd better make an effort as I'm signed up to do a 200km audax in three weeks :blink::laugh:

Beautiful sunny skies and green pastures abound. A headwind for the entire ride too, however it was refreshing and kept me cool plus it was a training ride so I don't mind so much.

Nothing much to note other than I feel I've definitely lost a bit of fitness. But practice makes perfect so I have a good excuse to get several more rides in!

Distance: 108.67 km (67.52 mi)
Elevation: 858 m (2,815 ft)
Av. Speed: 23.1 km/h (14.3 mph)

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Two short rides today, the first to work, 6.7miles with an average of 17.3 mph.
I had to drop off one of our work vans in Methley this afternoon so I loaded my bike into the back so I could ride home. Almost 23 degrees and a lovely ride through Castleford then dropped the main roads for a country route through Ledston, Ledsham and on to Sherburn in Elmet. Rather than going the direct route home I headed for Cawood and back via Rhyther and Ulleskelf.
22.37 miles with an average of 16 mph.

gavgav

Guru
The second ride of my few days in Wales and my June half century challenge ride bagged, on a beautiful sunny and warm day.

I set out from the caravan, crossed the railway line just in time, as I heard the crossing alarm begin when I rounded the next corner and out onto the busy main road down to Barmouth. Traffic was well behaved though and I overtook a couple of cyclists on the way down.

I descended to the promenade and enjoyed the views for a couple of minutes, before heading all the way down to the far end of the prom, fairly quiet having beaten the day trippers and slow risers out of bed.

The short climb out of Barmouth was ok, overtook another couple of cyclists and then wound my way across Barmouth Bridge, in amongst the walkers and paused for a shot up the estuary.

I then joined the Mawddach trail, which is a joy to ride, amazing views, mostly flat and lots of cyclists out enjoying the sunshine as well. If anyone wants to know more about the area, Derek Brockway’s Weatherman Walking series’ final episode was set there last week and I’m sure would be available on IPlayer. I saw him filming the episode back in September, but I didn’t appear in the background of any shots, thankfully!!

Penmaenpool bridge is featured in the episode and has a sad history, with a ferry accident that unfortunately had a number of fatalities.

I arrived at Dolgellau and paused in my usual spot, by the cricket pitch, for a snack and to psyche myself up for the climb that would follow, heading somewhere up behind those trees and on towards Cader Idris that is lurking behind.

Dolgellau town was buzzing, good to see and I then began the hard climb up Fford Bodlandeb. It’s a pull, climbing best part of 800ft in 3 miles and I had a cheery “keep going” from a chap and lady who were walking down towards the town. It was sad to see that the Gwernan guest house has closed for good and is beginning to go into disrepair. It’s in an idyllic place up towards the mountains, real shame.

I arrived at my lunch stop and what is pretty much my favourite place in all of the U.K. at Cregennan Lakes. I didn’t quite have it to myself today, which I have on a number of occasions before, with plenty of people enjoying the scenery, but still just bliss and especially on a day like today.

After lunch, I got set for the exhilarating downhill section, which loses the 800 ft in about a mile, but firstly paused to enjoy the view down to Barmouth.

I timed the first part of the descent just right, as a couple were coming through the gate, in a car and the lady held the gate open for me. The descent was great, met a chap who was cycling up it and he didn’t look to be having as much fun!! Shouted a cheery “keep going” to him and he appreciated it. He had a Purple Moose brewery cycling top on and he’s certainly earned his pint of that later.

Following the descent, it was out onto the very busy main road, down to Fairbourne and I was heading directly into the wind as well, which made it a hard slog. There were a few “I can see round corners” drivers about as well.

Fairbourne was busier than I think I’ve ever seen it, which is good, as it can be a depressing place when the weather isn’t great and there aren’t many about. I went all the way to the end of the seafront and paused to take a shot back up the estuary.

I then doubled back and had the wind behind me on the main road back to Arthog. Unfortunately I also encountered a moron driving a caravette, who really shouldn’t be. He firstly overtook me on a blind bend, within inches and cut back in front too early, to the point I had to swerve into the verge to avoid being knocked off. He then almost wiped a car out by going too wide past a wall (he’s clearly happy to knock a cyclist off but not hit a wall) on a narrow section and force the car onto the verge!
A motorcycle behind me had witnessed all of this and when we approached some traffic lights, shouted to me that some people shouldn’t be behind the wheel of those things and said that if he could catch it up, he’d give them a piece of his mind!!

At Arthog, I turned back onto the Mawddach trail and retraced my steps over the bridge, then down into Barmouth, which was absolutely heaving by now, mid afternoon. I almost had triple points on the “which pedestrian will step out without looking game” in the harbour, when a waitress stepped into my path, carrying a plate of sandwiches, which she almost lost onto the floor as I swerved to avoid hitting her. There is one every time along there!

I managed to actually cycle up the steep path back to the main road, for only the second time ever without getting off to push, from which the legs let me know about it as I joined the hordes of traffic back up towards Talybont, all much better behaved than the previous clown though.

I arrived back at the caravan with 40.9 miles on the Clock, at 10.4mph avg and thoroughly enjoyed that.

2020_06_08_Commute_01.jpg

On the way back from work. It generally widdled it down in a rather non-committal way on the way in and absolutely Gepisched it down in the evening, with added thunder, evening, but the ride back was generally dry.

2020_06_08_Commute_02.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Tuesday and half past midday headed up Humps and a Hill and onto an initially traffic problem less Knaresborough.

It did get congested half way up the hill from High Bridge. Transpired to be a set of TTLs on the Boroughbridge Road immediately after the double mini roundabouts at the top of the hill. North to Farnham and then the reverse of Saturdays route to Thornton Bridge; a shady bench was briefly occupied at Minskip (no BT Wifi) and the road from Boroughbridge was pretty awful – its okay in the opposite direction but north eastwards it has a Strava segment of Dodge the potholes; which I somehow did, more through good fortune.
Headed north east from Thornton Bridge through Cundall to the 5th letter ABC of Asenby.

Then west to Rainton where a shady bench did have BT Wifi presence, south towards Dishforth and onto the A168 for a fast generally down grade ride back to Boroughbridge. Initially planned to take the bypass all the way past the town but the section onwards from the Roecliffe junction was busy with HGVs, from the huge cold store no doubt, heading to the A1(M). Turned into Boroughbridge on a pretty dreadful road surface which just happens to be the route of NCN688 Way of the Rose.
Headed south back to the A168, at the junction a cycle path offered a short cut pass the roundabout and more fundamentally passed through a group of trees; the shade was welcome.
The A168 was now upwards including the Strava segment Killer climb on a TT! Did see one cyclist in time trialist outfit heading the opposite way and also an open top sports car from 1967/8.

Turned west to Ripley; the bench by the duck pond at Ferrensby was baking in the sun:sad: and a set of TTLs at Farnham obediently went back to green as I almost stopped at them. South from Ripley on the A61 the NCN crossing TLs did stay green. 44.41 miles 1644ft climbed 14.2mph avg

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
after 2 days working on garden seat(disassembled re-paint then reassemble).. thought it was time for a little jaunt, been a while since i had climbed over the Stang (Stang Forrest) so made my way via Piercebridge-Hutton Magna to cross the A66 at the Rokeby Inn-straight throgh to Barningham.. were a spotted a green phone box... on towards Scargill-Thwaite. turned left to start the long drag to the top (4miles) of steady climbing ...till you get to the hairpin bends appox 1 mile from the sumit it throws you a nice little 14% section.
once off the top it was to early for a beer at the C+B Hotel so decided to go up and over to Low row-Reeth and stop at the
dales cycle centre which has a great cafe .opted for the egg+bacon sarnie with a black coffee (must have been half a pig in it).. stuck to the main road on to Richmond as traffic was light (and well behaved)through Richmond then head left to Brompton-on-swale-Scorton-Middleton Tyas-Barton -Darlington out to the A167 cycle path Coatham Mundeville- heading for the Cozy coffee which was just closing as i arrived .
sso went down my off road track into Ayclffe village through industrial estate and called in to see mates i worked with . this not working lark i can get used too .a great day out again.... 77 miles 4664ft

the sting in the tail lol

looking back down

loads of them felled

ford..used in James heriot's all creatures great and small

bacon and egg yummy

how cute is this

now this is a work of art

Attachments

• 20210609_084905.jpg
    20210609_084905.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 7

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My partner is working away all of this week. Based in a place called Shepreth, which for those that don't know, and I didn't, is just a few miles north east of Royston in Herts.
I hadn't see her since Sunday so thought it would be the perfect day to cycle up there and meet her for lunch. Which I did.
Slapped on the old factor 50 before I left at 8am and was at her work place just after noon. 62 miles in glorious weather and once out of North London some glorious rolling. clear roads.
After lunch I retraced my route. Stopping only for water top ups and a cheeky ice cream.
Such a glorious day to be on a bike.
124 Miles for the day. Imperial century #11 for the year, #298 over all and a bag full of future Eddington numbers.

Mike_P

Guru
Wednesday, last day of three booked off work and a more strenuous than expected morning ebike ride to Asda; the battery I was sure was on 2 bars but only one lit up and was still showing white as I switched the assist off for the last part of the 4.4 mile ride but it had still gone orange when I got home.
24 hours on and the Defy once again tackled Humps and a hill, but this time thereafter south east largely following NCN67 including the concrete slabs out of the showground.

Varied off the NCN route by going down Haggs Road; the downward nature being preferable to the slightly lumpy NCN in the midday heat. For that reason I did take to the NCN route along the old railway from Spofforth to Wetherby with shade from adjacent trees. At one point contours have obviously changed from its railway days when Newcastle to Liverpool expresses thundered along it.

The Wahoo instructed an exit from the NCN I had not previously taken; relatively steep, narrow with a bend I opted to wheel the bike out to the road beyond. Thereafter I got confused by the Wahoo instructing a left turn into road whose name did not match any that I passed and I ended up at a no cycling path – bike wheeled again this time to a Wetherby road I recognised. Back on the NCN south of Wetherby in the fruitless hope of some shade, whilst also avoiding the busy parallel section of the A168 with traffic for the A1. Onto the A168 beyond the A1 junction and the roads normal character of the very odd car passing resumed; an undulating section that manages to have a nil overall gradient.

Into Bramham for a snack break then west with clouds increasing to the 5th letter ABC of Scarcroft. No nameboard on the road in so I headed north on the A58 for the requisite shot.

Continued west crossing through Scarcroft golf course. At a crossroads I realised there was something wrong with the chain and discovered it was off the lower pulley wheel. Refitted and continued in a loop pass further golf courses north east to East Keswick. North west along Lumby Lane to the A659, where at the junction a chain issue again – not only off the lower pulley wheel but also jammed between the cassette and frame. Refitted with the thought this could get problematic but the chain behaved itself for the rest of the ride.
West to Harewood and down the bridleway route through the grounds back to the A659; goes downhill round an acute U bend.

Onto the A61 over the Wharfe on Harewood Bridge and then turned off to Kirkby Overblow with a procession of PRs possibly due to the south westerly. It was school pick up time so I paused on a bench whilst chaos ensued. North to the A658 and down to Pannal then north west on Spring Lane. At the end turned north on a twisty road with a car behind that did not overtake where I would have expected; managed a PR on the 11.6% max climb, and then via the Pine Woods. 41.31 miles 2680ft climbed 12.5mph avg, and Strava says

Last edited:
Top Bottom