Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
This year my rides have been fairly flat, so I have been thinking of rides with more elevation. Where I live the nearest places with reasonable climbing mean riding west towards Herefordshire. A couple of weeks ago I included a climb up Malvern and the Wyche, and today I decided to try the climb up to Clifton upon Tame from the Martley side, which would also be an area I haven't visited before on the bike.

Out bright and early at 6:15, some clouds and slightly chilly, but I warmed up quickly through St Peters and town, taking the most direct route to Martley via Lower Broadheath and Wichenford. This is a fairly easy route, and I got to Martley quicker than expected. Out of Martley towards Clifton there's a short steep climb, followed by an equally steep descent down to the Teme. The road is twisty and narrow going down to the river, so I was quite cautious descending. The valley is quite narrow at the bottom, and only a couple of hundred metres after the bridge starts the climb to Clifton.
20210613_070038.jpg

20210613_070106.jpg

The slope starts gradually, but soon steepens, and Worcestershire CC have decided that the climb wasn't hard enough, so they've surface dressed the road. It didn't take very long before I was in my lowest gear, and by the time I was about half way through I was needing a rest. After a couple of minutes for a breather I was on my way again, but didn't take long before I needed another break. This time I decided to try pedalling out of the saddle, which took me all the way through the worst of the climb and into Clifton.I need to work on my climbing technique, I think I might have been able to climb the hill in one go if I had pedalled more out of the saddle. Nevermind, I'm pleased with my performance.

The plan now was to follow Hollybush Ln, but I took the wrong turn, and ended up near Whitbourne before I noticed. I thought about heading to Knightwick and the Malverns from here, but my legs were still game for some more punishment, and instead I headed towards Tedstone. The lanes were now mostly up, getting steeper, until it got too steep for me and I had to walk for about 200m until the slope eased a bit. Once I reached Tedstone, my next target was Edwyn Ralph, to then head for Bromyard. All these lanes were new to me, but some of the names sound familiar from @twentysix by twentyfive's reports.

The ride to Bromyard from Edwyn Ralph is quick, as it is downhill on a reasonably wide and well surfaced road, so can easily let rip. Now I had my dozy driver incident of the day. As I was gaining speed down a longish straight I could see a car moving slowly out of a drive on the left. I first thought that the driver had seen me and that was going to stop, but instead it joined the road in front of me at the same slow pace, maybe 10mph, and carried on driving. As I went to overtake (I had been doing close to 30 before I saw the car) the elderly driver noticed me, got startled, floored it and took off :wacko:.

I made it to Bromyard without further incident, and then joined the A44 back to Worcester. I was now back into familiar territory, starting the final climb of the day to Brockhampton, which is not too hard after Clifton, followed by a fast descent to Knightwick.

I stopped at Knightwick for a drink and a cereal bar, and then on towards home along the A44.

Fun ride, which I will definitely repeat, minus the detours.

The map
Screenshot_20210613-201205_Connect.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
This year my rides have been fairly flat, so I have been thinking of rides with more elevation. Where I live the nearest places with reasonable climbing mean riding west towards Herefordshire. A couple of weeks ago I included a climb up Malvern and the Wyche, and today I decided to try the climb up to Clifton upon Tame from the Martley side, which would also be an area I haven't visited before on the bike.

Out bright and early at 6:15, some clouds and slightly chilly, but I warmed up quickly through St Peters and town, taking the most direct route to Martley via Lower Broadheath and Wichenford. This is a fairly easy route, and I got to Martley quicker than expected. Out of Martley towards Clifton there's a short steep climb, followed by an equally steep descent down to the Teme. The road is twisty and narrow going down to the river, so I was quite cautious descending. The valley is quite narrow at the bottom, and only a couple of hundred metres after the bridge starts the climb to Clifton.
View attachment 593704
View attachment 593705
The slope starts gradually, but soon steepens, and Worcestershire CC have decided that the climb wasn't hard enough, so they've surface dressed the road. It didn't take very long before I was in my lowest gear, and by the time I was about half way through I was needing a rest. After a couple of minutes for a breather I was on my way again, but didn't take long before I needed another break. This time I decided to try pedalling out of the saddle, which took me all the way through the worst of the climb and into Clifton.I need to work on my climbing technique, I think I might have been able to climb the hill in one go if I had pedalled more out of the saddle. Nevermind, I'm pleased with my performance.

The plan now was to follow Hollybush Ln, but I took the wrong turn, and ended up near Whitbourne before I noticed. I thought about heading to Knightwick and the Malverns from here, but my legs were still game for some more punishment, and instead I headed towards Tedstone. The lanes were now mostly up, getting steeper, until it got too steep for me and I had to walk for about 200m until the slope eased a bit. Once I reached Tedstone, my next target was Edwyn Ralph, to then head for Bromyard. All these lanes were new to me, but some of the names sound familiar from @twentysix by twentyfive's reports.

The ride to Bromyard from Edwyn Ralph is quick, as it is downhill on a reasonably wide and well surfaced road, so can easily let rip. Now I had my dozy driver incident of the day. As I was gaining speed down a longish straight I could see a car moving slowly out of a drive on the left. I first thought that the driver had seen me and that was going to stop, but instead it joined the road in front of me at the same slow pace, maybe 10mph, and carried on driving. As I went to overtake (I had been doing close to 30 before I saw the car) the elderly driver noticed me, got startled, floored it and took off :wacko:.

I made it to Bromyard without further incident, and then joined the A44 back to Worcester. I was now back into familiar territory, starting the final climb of the day to Brockhampton, which is not too hard after Clifton, followed by a fast descent to Knightwick.

I stopped at Knightwick for a drink and a cereal bar, and then on towards home along the A44.

Fun ride, which I will definitely repeat, minus the detours.

The map
View attachment 593729
Well done. You found some lovely spots in amongst the hills. Lovely quiet lanes out that way. I'm afraid I don't use the A44 except for short necessary bits. I prefer the climb from Whitbourne to Clifton but I'm coming from Malvern not Worcester. There's some super stuff if you turn off right from Ham Bridge along the Teme valley tho'. Good climbing on this one :thumbsup:

C R

Guru
Well done. You found some lovely spots in amongst the hills. Lovely quiet lanes out that way. I'm afraid I don't use the A44 except for short necessary bits. I prefer the climb from Whitbourne to Clifton but I'm coming from Malvern not Worcester. There's some super stuff if you turn off right from Ham Bridge along the Teme valley tho'. Good climbing on this one :thumbsup:
I ride quite early, so the A44 is quiet when I hit it, otherwise I would also avoid it, but I quite like letting rip down to Knightwick from Brockhampton, makes the climb from Bromyard worthwhile :laugh:.

Gunk

Guru
I mixture of rubbish weather last month, long tiring days at work, and the distraction of a new motorcycle meant that I hadn’t spent much time pedalling, I’m on holiday this week, so today I pumped up the tyres on my Van Nic, popped on the panniers and rode into Oxford to run some errands.

Time away from a bike often makes you realise how good it is, after some fiddling and fettling earlier this year, mine is now just about perfect. Only about 12 miles this morning, but great to be out again!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Took the day off today so I could get into the Dales. Did a 60 mile linear ride to Skipton with 1300m of climbing. A bit breezy and overcast but had a lovely ride. Went out past Ingleborough then over to Ribblesdale. Crossed at Stainforth then up the big hill to Malham. I usually go up past the tarn so by way of a change I went over past Penyghent and then dropped down into Halton Gill. A wonderful ride through Littondale with a tail wind and views across the meadows, full of buttercup, daisies, clover, yellow rattle and no doubt orchid if I’d got off to botanise. Up the the top of Wharfedale to Kettlewell where the kiosk was doing enormous ice creams which seemed rude to ignore, then back road to Grassington. Raided the deli for lunch provisions and then headed south to Skipton,through Ryelstone of WI fame and Cracoe. Arrived at railway station with plenty of time so enjoyed my saddlebag picnic!

pawl

Legendary Member
Took the day off today so I could get into the Dales. Did a 60 mile linear ride to Skipton with 1300m of climbing. A bit breezy and overcast but had a lovely ride. Went out past Ingleborough then over to Ribblesdale. Crossed at Stainforth then up the big hill to Malham. I usually go up past the tarn so by way of a change I went over past Penyghent and then dropped down into Halton Gill. A wonderful ride through Littondale with a tail wind and views across the meadows, full of buttercup, daisies, clover, yellow rattle and no doubt orchid if I’d got off to botanise. Up the the top of Wharfedale to Kettlewell where the kiosk was doing enormous ice creams which seemed rude to ignore, then back road to Grassington. Raided the deli for lunch provisions and then headed south to Skipton,through Ryelstone of WI fame and Cracoe. Arrived at railway station with plenty of time so enjoyed my saddlebag picnic!
View attachment 593833

View attachment 593834

View attachment 593835

View attachment 593836

Many years ago I camped inLitton Dale Was the pub there the ordinal for the Woolpack in theTV soap Emerdale Farm.

Shack

Not a ride today but Monday I passed two cyclists on a hybrids going fairly slowly just prio to a decent followed by a steepish up hill section Got a bit of a shock as they came flying past me .Caught them up on the. flat and realised I been E biked on the hill Road along side them for a short distance I said perhaps I should get one of those She said we are cheating No your not in my book you are still cyclists They had only just taken up cycling Good luck to them.The more the merrier :cycle::cycle::cycle:
Everytime I hit a big hill I wish for an electric motor, I agree everyone's a cyclist and definitely the more the merrier (unless they start laughing as they speed past me)

pawl

Legendary Member
Yes, the pub looks great. Littondale reminds me a bit of a smaller version of Swaledale, beautiful. I think this is the one:

https://queensarmslitton.co.uk/
Thanks for that That’s the one I remember

AndreaJ

Veteran
There was a definite change in the weather today but at least the cool breeze kept the flying, biting stuff away. I had to take the phones for work today so thought I had better stick to the quieter lanes in case I actually needed to answer the phone. I set off into Whixall turning off at the Hollinswood crossroads to Fenns Wood and Fenns Bank, down to cross the canal at Blackloe then onto Alkington. Turned off to Tilstock and turned back to Whixall having to stop for the first phone call. Sorted them out and set off again, didn’t get very far before the phone rang again.
Set off once more back to Hollinswood, Coton, Abbeygreen, Waterloo, Edstaston and a few extra turns back to Northwood and back home with no more phone calls. 25 miles, no pictures today because I spent enough time stopping to answer the phone although at least call divert meant I didn’t actually need to be at work on a Monday!

Out towards the north of Tavistock, before turning back onto NCN27/270. Get to the viaduct and pisssshhh, another front flat. The upside is this is very near to my house, 20m horizontally and 10m vertically. Sat on a granite stone and changed the tube anyway. Nothing found, puncture on inside of tube, similar to where this one has popped before. No cause apparent anywhere, but straightened a slightly wonky rim tape. Tyre looks atrocious, however, and it's done less that 50 miles.

It's like that all round, on both sides. Will be talking to Wiggle about this later, 2nd tyre I've had from them that has lasted no time at all, and the other was a Schwalbe. This one's a Lifeline.
The very meager stats:

Ah well, at least the weather is nice! I'll fettle my tomatoes instead!
:biggrin:

Last edited:

theloafer

Legendary Member
got the e-bikes back yesterday (both been full serviced) had a latish start so thought after the last few ride it was time for an easy run out so picked the old Darlington 50 miler route which is flattish, went the quiet road into darlo out to Croft-on-tees- Neasham over the river Tees-Girsby-Hornby-Appleton Wiske-Deighton-Brompton-Northhallerton.
the place was chocker, so just headed onwards. out via the B6271 past Romanby golf club to Yafforth- Danby Wiske-Streetlam-Pepper Arden to Atley hill left to Scorton-Moulton-Middleton Tyas-Barton straight back into Darlington . picked my usual way out cyclepath to north road ,then cycle path along the A167 headed to my fav coffee stop Cozy coffee at Brafferton . it was closed (got me days mixed up) still near home so all was good ... 70 miles of pure joy

the river Tees

bus stop-book shop

I've realised I haven't posted about my ride on Sunday, because I was tired out, so everybody pretend it's Sunday for a bit...

Germany, or at least this part of it, has a lie in on Sunday mornings. This is why the usually fairly busy local high street looks like this at about seven:

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_01.jpg

I can live with that...

I aimed for The Kaiserstühl; this is a hefty lump of volcanic rock rising out of the centre of the Rhine Valley. The valley by contrast is as flat as Norfolk.

This is why my ride report features me riding around the Kaiserstühl, not over it.

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_11.jpg

The route around the volcano is roughly triangular; section one is along the south to Breisach and the French border, which runs along the Rhine.
We have a "Mediterranean climate" here apparently, which doesn't explain why it has largely gepinkled it down for the last few months. Nonetheless the hills to the north are terraced with vines growing on them, and all along the cycle way there are wine merchants.

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_13.jpg

The first major stop is in Breisach. This stands on its own bonsai volcano right against the Rhine river, which if course meant it was very handy real estate for anyone in France or Germany with territorial ambitions. You know how it is: you aren't actually at war but you may need this bit of high ground if you did end up in a war, so you start a war to make sure you've got it, just in case...

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_23.jpg

I've been to Breisach many times but I'd never climbed the hill in the centre so this time I'd decided to find out what was up there. The summit features a minster, which is visible from a very long way away but it is surprisingly small when you get to it.

I found myself talking with a Sri-Lankan German who gets a mention here by being a man of immense taste and discernment; he said my bike looked cool. He switched to English when he realised I was from the UK; he has many happy memories of holidays in England, although he always ended up spending his spare cash in the Indian restaurant, because he didn't like the food "They gave me cold beans in tomato sauce; for Breakfast...".

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_25.jpg

Further along the hill was the former jail, torture chamber and city pump; it's good to see the local government being economical when real estate is at a premium.

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_28.jpg

Back down on the plain and heading northbound alongside the Kaiserstühl again. If I had a hankering to take the direct route back to my apartment, I could go straight up that hill and down the other side. I doubt it would be any quicker than going around though.

The villages change here and feel more isolated; we're away from the Freiburg suburbs and into the rural Breisgau region, historically more isolated and cut off from Freiburg by the Kaiserstühl itself.

And all of them make wine. It must have been a relief when the railway came in 1895 so they could transport it to other places and didn't have to drink it all up themselves.

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_31.jpg

I decided to try a different route instead of riding along the Rhine, and cut through one of the villages in the edge of the hills. This one is called Jechtingen and like a lot of local villages sometimes seems to think it is French.

It also has a church in the vineyards, built in a shoulder of hills between two villages...

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_38.jpg

So I went to have a look, mostly so I could take a picture to post here; the things I do for you lot, honestly...

Now crossing to the north of the hills, I wandered through a couple more postcard worthy villages before deciding that instead of taking the rather indirect cycleway I'd risk the road. I hadn't cycled on a main road for a very long time, and there was no cycleway, but It was in the middle of nowhere, and it was mid morning on Sunday; as usual the only people up appeared to have gone to church.. Also it was only 4k so what could go wrong?

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_42.jpg

Nothing much as it happened: I was passed by very few cars who generally gave me plenty of space, and arrived in Endingen faster than usual.

Endingen is one of those really pretty towns places that would be famous, except that there are about twenty similar towns nearby. It also belonged to Austria for some time because... reasons something something, someone died, Hapsburg Monarchy. If you just change the names this sums up history for a lot of regions of south Germany.

Oh, and surprise surprise, it also makes wine.

It was also surprisingly busy; either people wake up earlier there or I was meeting the Sunday tourists coming the other way-

The next section after Endingen always comes as a surprise: it's a fairly short ride to the next town of Riegel, which is near the eastern edge of the Kaiserstühl massif again, so it's near the main roads and railway lines and feels completely different from the other towns only a few kilometres ago.

2021_06_13_Kaiserstühl_45.jpg

It's also a startlingly short hop from my apartment: after leaving the touristy centre and a cut through an industrial estate (featuring a large stable and horse accessory wholesaler which shows a lot about local requirements), I was back on the river path following a dead straight route back to my village. I arrived about twenty minutes later feeling like I'd teleported back in to normality...

To my surprise, as I'd just cycled 60k for the first time in a while, I didn't feel like my legs were about to drop off, which was nice. If it doesn't get stupidly hot next week I may just be a bit more adventurous...

Last edited:
Top Bottom