Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
Today was sunny with a slight breeze. I had been planning a ride to Newport for some time but was waiting until the cafes to reopen. I set off towards Market Drayton and navigated through the back streets past the Grove School down the hill and passed under the bridge that carries the Shropshire Union canal. From here it's up hill almost all the way to Cheswardine. Most of the gradients are moderate and as you gain altitude the views over the countryside more than make up for the effort of the climb.

From Cheswardine it's mostly downhill through several small villages. I passed the RAF helicopter base where pilots are trained, but there didn't seem to be any activity today. I reached the A41 where the cycle path and an island in the middle of the road make crossing the very busy road straightforward. The road into Newport goes past the Chetwynd Deer Park, but the deer must have been sheltering from the sun as I couldn't see any.

I pulled into the Costa in the centre of Newport for a sausage sandwich, raspberry slice and large Americano. I changed my rucksack before | set off and had forgotten to bring the padlock. I propped the bike up outside Costa and sat on the seats outside to keep an eye on the bike. After a rest, I set off back towards home using minor roads on the opposite side of the A41. Like most of Shropshire there are several busy main roads that take most of the traffic and many minor country lanes which make it ideal for cycling. Even using the Wahoo for navigating I made a few mistakes, but soon managed to get back on the correct route.

For some reason, my water bottle still tastes of fabric conditioner despite several overnight soaks and washings out, so I couldn't drink from it. I was too lazy to stop at a shop to buy some apple juice so by the time I got home I was quite dehydrated. Despite the dehydration, it was a great day out with 63 km and 540 metres of ascent.

vlcsnap-2021-06-10-10h07m49s835.png

Cheswardine
vlcsnap-2021-06-10-10h05m02s189.png

Newport
vlcsnap-2021-06-10-10h06m57s282.png

Shropshire Union Canal
vlcsnap-2021-06-10-10h03m27s926.png

09-06-21-A-bike-ride-to-Newport-England.png

09-06-21-A-bike-ride-in-Newport-England.png

Old jon

Guru
A warm one this morning, and a ride out with company is in view, so off I go to the meeting point. On the Spa again, some of the ride is likely to be a bit rough and the Spa is the most comfortable bike I have.

Up the eastern side of Golden Acre Park and down Kings Road to Bramhope. Turn right, but we are not going to the Wharfe valley, a left turn takes us to the centre of the village, straight on, then cross the A658. A bit of a dogleg then ride through East and West Carlton, one after the other, on the way to Guiseley. I am happy that someone knows the way through that town and out of there to Hawksworth.

There is still a bit of uphill and down to deal with before we reach the top of Five Rise Locks in Bingley, and a munch stop. Then, canals being what they are, back to Leeds is all downhill. At least as far as Kirkstall. I had forgotten that the canal had been tidied up rather a lot, it is a while since I have looked. The ride was, hmmm, not the smoothest. But the scenery and surroundings were good to look at. Will go back on two legs for a proper look.

Leave the towpath at Kirkstall, and I was treated to a tour of parts of Leeds that I do not know at all. A lot of it uphill too. Chinwag stop in a park, somewhere north of the Aire and a good deal higher and then meander away through Headingley, across Meanwood Road in the general direction of Chapel Allerton, where I started to recognise places again.

It is about five miles home from that point, and that is the way I went. A great day for a ride, enough breeze that cooled things nicely. Back at my front door after forty seven miles of glorious riding, and a smidge more than two and a half thousand feet of climbing. No wonder I am still smiling.

And the illustrations, untouched by human hand . . .

10062021.jpg

1006elev.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Returned home from Wales today and I was kindly invited round for some evening drinks with @Rickshaw Phil and family, so I took the opportunity to head up by bike.

I took an indirect route up there, via Sutton Farm, Reabrook, Meole and a loop around their village. I was pretty much riding directly into the blustery Westerly wind, for the whole 5 miles there and it was tough going.

An enjoyable 90 minutes was had and I then took the direct route home, with the wind having died down quite a bit, but it was at least a tailwind now.

Just 6.46 miles at 11.1mph avg.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wednesday's rides:

Afternoon: My brother had asked about heading out for a ride so I wasn't going to turn that down. I thought it would be nice to use the Kingpin and we headed for a local loop into town and through The Quarry then out to Upton Magna, Atcham, Cross Houses and back.

It was a nice day if a little breezy and we had a good run along the cycle paths to Porthill where we crossed the river on Porthill footbridge just in time to see Sabrina pass underneath. Being quicker than the boat we went on ahead so Doug could get a photo with it and the school in the background. Victoria Avenue was busy and the towpath beyond Greyfriars bridge had its fair share of people out walking and cycling too.

Having passed the weir and Sydney Avenue we used the old canal path to Uffington. I've been actively avoiding the section between Telford Way and Pimley Manor since Covid came along as it's a popular path that is a bit narrow for social distancing in places. We decided to risk it today and to our surprise the bits that have been rough and muddy for as long as I've known the route have been resurfaced in the intervening time. It's now a fairly smooth fine gravel all the way along which is a big improvement.

At Uffington we rejoined the road and took the lane to Upton Magna, greeting a few other cyclists along the way. On this climb the Kingpin developed a creak apparently from the bottom bracket which will need investigating. Service time I think - got to get those cotter pins out, what fun! :unsure:

Reaching the village we had a stop at the Haughmond Inn for refreshment for the first time in about 18 months. Covid restrictions meant that our beer and cider were obtained from their cafe rather than the bar and drunk out of the bottle rather than from a pint glass but it was nice to enjoy visiting them again.

Moving on, we had turned into the wind which we would have against us most of the way back. Traffic was light and didn't cause us any bother. From Atcham we took the longer but less hilly way through Cross Houses to Berrington and another odd noise started on the Kingpin as the chainring is now touching the frame.:sad: It started after I needed to stand on the pedals to get up the climb into Cross Houses. If, as I suspect, the chainring has bent slightly under load this is probably a good time to update to a new chainset and cartridge bottom bracket.

We bypassed Condover on the way back by heading along the Allfield lane and took the direct route back along the main road.

19.3 miles at 11.1 mph average according to Doug's Strava. A pleasant trip out.

Sabrina takes another load of passengers for a pleasant cruise through the Quarry.

I don't often end up in my own photos. Shrewsbury School and the school boathouse in the background.

Doug enjoys his cider at the Haughmond Inn.

Crossing the Severn again via the old bridge at Atcham.

Drink stop and a check to see where all the noises on my bike are coming from near Berrington.

Evening: As you'll already have seen, @gavgav has been over at the coast so asked me to water his plants while he was away. I headed over to his on the knockabout bike and decided to make a ride out of it afterwards since it was a pleasant evening.

Leaving town via Weeping Cross I battled against the surprisingly gusty wind to Berrington where I took the lane to Eaton Mascott as I hadn't been that way for a while. It's a bit lumpy going this way but there are enjoyable views to the hills.

After dropping down to Cound Stank I headed in the direction of Pitchford, still heading into the wind before dropping into the dip and heading out towards Cantlop. I thought I'd had the last of the headwind but it slowed me down on the descent into Condover. Another rider pulled out ahead of me and wasn't going terribly quick so I was able to overtake before leaving the village with the wind finally helping and giving a very nice quick cruising speed.

15.2 miles for this one at 13.2 mph average.

Passing through Eaton Mascott.

View to the Wrekin between Eaton Mascott and Cound Stank.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Friday's after work ride. Mild but cloudy and very breezy. My planned route was blocked by a road closure at Leaderfoot (it's a closed road anyway, but now closed to cycles and pedestrians.) This was being enforced by a security guard who politely informed me that the closure order had been posted yesterday and no, there was no alternative route (apart from the main road). I vaguely remembered hearing something about this on the radio this morning, rumours of a film shoot for a new Indiana Jones movie and Harrison Ford had supposedly been seen (on a bike!) near Bamburgh Castle, 50 miles to the east.
I carried on via the A6091 and A68, roads normally avoided except in lockdown. This was the scene on the A68 approaching the closure from the other end - in contrast to one security guard there were several, plus police vans, council vans, several lorries, temporary traffic lights and loads of cars all parked down to the left on what is normally a short dead-end used only by dog walkers.

I briefly stopped on the Drygrange Bridge across the Tweed to look back the other way. Presumably the intended scene involves either the old bridge below or more likely the Leaderfoot railway viaduct which is out of shot to the right. My intended route had been down from the right on the far bank and across the old bridge below, which was also cordoned off and had a very posh looking caravan parked on the end of it.

Having completely failed to be mistaken for Harrison Ford or any other film star I carried on with my ride, mostly uneventful.

Edit: Filming rumours correct according to the BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-57440761
Bike riding rumours also correct according to photies in another BBC report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-57413454

One brief stop at Longnewton Mill on a bridge over the Ale Water. This bit of the river always confuses me as it appears to my mind to be flowing the wrong way - it flows west to east apart from this one long meander where it's going the other way.

The map -
1623490900049.png

31 miles @ 14.7 mph, 708m up.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Sort of cool outdoors, but a bit earlier than usual as well. Soon warm up riding the fixed though. And maybe the little flying creatures will still be asleep . . .

Nope, they were wide awake and flying furiously almost everywhere, from Water Lane onwards. And because I followed the river path from the Armouries downstream, I guess they were more abundant than if the road had been used. Ah well. Quite a few people about, dog walkers, joggers and even bike riders. One lad, by the steps on Skelton Bridge, was riding the muckiest bike I have seen in a long time. I would not have fancied carrying that extra weight up those steps. Anyway, soon reached Woodlesford and then it is back on the road.

Up through Swillington, on the way to Garforth. I never noticed the wind farm at Hook Moor, there was an articulated wagon having a great deal of fun inserting itself into a narrow farm lane. Fascinating stuff. Down the hill and a clear run at the roundabout, most unusual, then up the rise to Garforth itself. Followed by the almost compulsory pedal past the gates at Lotherton Hall. Almost worn my own set of wheel ruts in the road, but there were plenty of other riders out today as well.

Aberford was quiet this morning, as was the road from there to Barwick. After crossing Cock Beck the road rises and goes past a collection of small businesses on the left. One of which was a cafe. You could say it has closed down, in reality the place has been pulled down. Nowhere left to hang the ‘Closed’ sign. A bit further up the hill is the village itself, complete with maypole. The place stretches a fair distance along the road, before the drop to Scholes.

Cross the A64, a staggered crossing, and ride into Thorner. There is a left turn by the pub, the Mexborough that is. Carr Lane starts there, ride it all the way to the A58 and turn left. Straight (ish) back to Leeds, going past the Oakwood Clock. Down Roundhay Road, the lights were very kind to me, staying green. It is a steep road crossing, that one. First time today across Crown Point Bridge and then to home. Thirty two miles and sixteen hundred climbed feet. And a grin, a most enjoyable pedal out.

Ups and downs and roundabouts,

12062021.jpg

1206elev.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I decided to head for the hills today, with a climb up onto the Longmynd, using a route that i’ve only done once before, a couple of years ago with @Rickshaw Phil on that occasion.

It was fresher air out there this morning, but still pleasantly warm, as I set off at 08:30, along the lanes to Condover, Ryton and Longnor. I’d hoped the lanes would be quiet, with the early start, but they were far from it, especially around Longnor where it resembled a main road with the amount of traffic! Thankfully things quietened down after that.

A pause at Ryton, to take a picture of where I’m heading up to

I then continued on to Botvylle and crossed the A49 without a car in sight, remarkably, before climbing up to the road to All Stretton. I was passed by 3 chaps cycling and they remarked about the climb being “a bit of a kicker” It’s only very short and nothing compared to what would come later!

I negotiated the social distancing one way system in Church Stretton and then onto Little Stretton, where I turned off onto the smaller lanes, where the climbing would properly start. The first section is up to Minton, with a couple of fairly short but steep ones, loads of squirrels about, must have been getting on for 15.

At Hamperley, I turned towards the Mynd and onto the Forestry Commission track up Nutbatch, which is a real pull, around 600ft in a mile and with the sun now out it had warmed up a bit more.

I wound my way up the climb, which was hard work, but it felt a lot easier than when I did it 2 years ago, so my fitness must be improving! Upon reaching the top, I took the route that avoids the main route through the middle of the Midland Gliding Club, for safety, especially on a day like today when I could see that it was being used by lots of people out gliding.

I then took a right turn and bumped and bounced my way along to the junction of the Portway and Starboard Way, where I followed the Starboard route, to again circumnavigate the Gliding Club. There are plenty of signs warning of gliders and launch cables, but it certainly brings it home when a cable drops only about 100 yards from that junction, on the Portway route than can also be taken!!

There is a danger of feeling seasick along the next section, which is mainly grass and rutted tracks, so you bounce around, but safety far more important and I enjoyed the views of the scenery and also the gliders soaring up above.

I then rejoined the road and some more climbing, before I paused for a snack and sent a message to my friend, Sophie, who lives just off the Mynd and whom I’d arranged to call in on, to say I wouldn’t be long.

I branched off the road and onto the very stony track, that leads up to Polebank and the summit of the Longmynd. Hard to get traction up there in a couple of places, but it was much quieter than I thought it would be, with only a handful of groups of walkers and cyclists to negotiate. I arrived at the top and enjoyed the views for a few minutes, but it was chilly up there (1693 ft) and so I didn’t hang about for long.

I then began the descent and took first right, back to the road, as I know the Bridleway can be very rough and rutted, but instead found a newly resurfaced path, which I’m sure is good for walkers but for bikes it’s deadly and a few times the back end started to go from under me. I was glad to get back on the road, then took a left and right to rejoin the Bridleway on a slightly less rough section that leads to High Park, with stunning views over the Shropshire plains.

From there, it’s an exhilarating and fast descent, before I arrived at Sophie’s house and had a nice hour catching up with her, over juice and Cherry Cake :hungry:.

I set out back towards home, with it feeling much warmer lower down, retracing my steps to Botvylle and Longnor, but then varied things by continuing to Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop. There wasn’t much to report along there, other than I seemed to be having gear shifting problems, particularly trying to engage Top and gears jumping around……I assumed it just needed some tweaking when I got home.

The final section was back through Betton Abbots and then just as I turned back into the estate that I live on, there was a ping and an inability to select any gears!! I assumed the gear cable had snapped and indeed when I pulled into my backyard, released the hood cover, I found that was the case :ohmy:. Thank goodness it didn’t happen anywhere else on the ride, or indeed whilst I was up mountains in Wales earlier this week. I’d only said to @Rickshaw Phil about the bike probably needing its first service soon, when I saw him on Thursday……it certainly needs one now!

A thoroughly enjoyable 41.89 miles, at 11.3mph avg, which I was happy with considering the climbing today, 2771ft of it.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
My ride was in the much flatter part of Shropshire, a bit of breeze this morning keeping it a bit cooler than it has been. Set off to Loppington, Nonely and Myddle down Lower Road which was busy with dog walkers today and onto Merrington. I took a wrong turning here although I only got as far as Bomere Heath before deciding that was not where I wanted to be. Turned round and passed a couple of cyclists I had passed going the opposite way through Old Woods to take the correct lane to Yeaton crossing over the river to Grafton. Turned off up the biggest hill I was going up to Little Ness and into Baschurch with a detour past the church. The council have decided to fix the potholes at the crossroads and there were traffic lights and all of sorts of pothole fixing traffic to negotiate. I took the turning off to Stanwardine which was busier than usual due to the roadworks and through to Bagley, Lee where it looks like that road will be closed for repairs next week then to Ellesmere. You have to go through the one way system to escape which was very busy with shoppers and visitors and off past the side of the Mere to Coptiviney, Welshampton, Hampton Bank, Northwood and home. Lots of people out in the sunshine today. 34.07 miles with 889ft climbing, no hills in North Shropshire!
47FCC411-B922-4945-AB6E-96D1B02D0F72.jpeg

4075E7D9-BCBF-4646-85F4-1D55501E2204.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday ten past midday and a longer version of last Saturdays ride. Knaresborough was more congested and no TTLs to blame this time. Went via Farnham instead of Flaxby to Arkendale. Had the sudden realisation that the looming staggered crossing of the A168 could be problematic as the parallel southbound section of the A1(M) had been closed all morning; crossing over the A1(M) however it was open in both directions.

Next variation came at Huby where I headed nominally NE to Stillington although the road halfway their turned west of north and then east; this last bit was nice fresh tarmac which did make me wonder how bad a condition it had been. Joined the B1363 and beyond Stillington that was generally well worn surface dressing – the bike rattled along, not as bad as it had been – the chain issues on Wednesday transpired to be due to the derailleur hanger bolts having worked loose. An overgrown signboard marked the arrival of the 5th letter ABC of Brandsby; fortunately that on the road out was in better condition.

West to last weeks destination of Crayke and a part not passed through last week, up and down in quick succession.

A set of TTLs had sprung up since last week in Easingwold at a crossroads. At the edge of Raskelf the next variation was to head SW to Tholthorpe; the westerly wind which until now had been of little issue seemed to have gathered some strength. West on Myton Lane and then NW to the double 5th letter ABCs of Helperby and Brafferton. Two villages that have become joined. I did a loop in a fruitless search of any identifiable boundary. The signboards carry both village names in the order they are passed through, so that at the southern road in has Helperby first but those on the northern and eastern roads in have Brafferton first.

Away back on last weeks route which then got abandoned for my westerly limitation route. Back to Knaresborough and up the A59 hill which usually seems to be sheltered from the wind. A dog walker on the cycle path so stayed on the carriageway. Reached home with the mileage registered as 62.59 miles – first 100km of the year. 2418 ft climbed 14.4mph avg

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
12/6/21
Today's gripping instalment. I must get out and do a decent run!
A dry slightly windy day with overcast. I had to take the car to a local garage for some work so took the folder along. Rode back following mainly the local cycle network. We are well provided with off road bike paths hereabouts. I took the longer, less steep route home though it still involved dropping down to cross the River Weaver and climbing up again on the other side. It shows up dramatically on the gradient profile on Bikehike which so far I haven’t worked out how to include on here. A pleasant run. The bike rides well, accelerating quickly but losing speed even more quickly when you stop pedalling. It feels like riding an invisible bike, as all you can see is the handlebars in front of you.

Later, an equally pleasant ride to collect the car. I took the much steeper downhill route on the way, again climbing up from the Weaver on the other side

Total 6.3 miles. Max speed? Unknown. Enough to make the vintage cyclometer start banging in protest, instead of the rhythmic dink dink dink, making me have to slow down. A drawback of the small wheels. Average? Ditto.

Total Ascent:​
239​
ft​
Total Descent:
239​
ft​
Start Elevation:
138​
ft​
End Elevation:
138​
ft​
Min Elevation:
68​
ft​
Max Elevation:
220​
ft​

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The Magnificent Seven Ride Again. Another great club ride, this time up to the southern edges of the Malvern Hills and back in a 43 mile loop. Great company, hot sunshine and cold ciders. What's not to love?

Loads of other cyclists out and about. Just about the perfect day for it. With our frequent cafe stop at Staunton Garden Centre now permanently closed, we were victims of our own success today, making such good progress on a flattish route that we got back close to home before the pubs opened. We ended up at the High Orchard, one of those chain pubs just off the Gloucester ring road, just at the point where we would normally start going our separate ways. Apparently they normally only serve you if you have their app. Sod that. We got our drinks order in dribs and drabs under four separate payments and with the manager grumbling every time he had to disappear back indoors and do his job. He reminded me of Ronnie Corbett in the "Four Candles" sketch. Quite entertaining.

Rode back with John along the towpath to the Gloucester & Sharpness Canal. Another great ride.

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday 9.55 and west along Penny Pot to join a busy with cyclists B6451 across the A59 at Dangerous Corner, then west on Menwith Hill Road and north east down Day Lane and along Dairy Lane to Dacre. Turned west then south west on Dacre Lane with a S bend at the point of change of direction; all upgrade with a 12.5 % max and rounding the final curve the south west wind an added issue. Paused for a snack at the first junction beyond then continued and the climb resumed at lesser grades turning north west onto Dike Lane and actually passing another cyclist. A decent followed before more upwards trudging with grades continuing to bounce around all over place, 10.9% seemingly the maximums. Eventually the summit was crested and a vista of Nidderdale opened up, which I would show if only the Sportcam had not been on pause:banghead: Cautiously down the decent to reach Bewerley and then through the Bridgehouse Gate part of Pateley Bridge to head along a motorbike busy twisty lumpy road to the 5th letter ABC of Ramsgill.

And immediately thereafter across the valley floor Bouthwaite.

Station House is an old railway station closed in 1929; the railways main purpose was convey building materials for the reservoir at the top of Nidderdale and a public service was provided over part of the line for the duration of construction. Retraced my route, and immediately wondered why the front wheel was dragging a bit like a brake being stuck on. Discovered a, thankfully grass eating, creatures stool wedged between the tyre and forks. Decided to carry on until an appropriate opportunity arose to remove it.
To the south east of Ramsgill and Bouthwaite lies Gouthwaite Reservior, built not for public water supply but to maintain the flow of the River Nidd when the dale was full of water powered mills.

At the southern end of the reservoir Yorkshire Water were undertaking some works, which could possibly mean the reservoir level is deliberately low. Conveniently there was some rubber matting so bike upside down, wheel off and offending item flicked away with twig. Another snack break on a bench next to a bowling green at Pateley Bridge and then tackled the climb out of the town joining onto the route I took last Sunday but pausing at Wilsill

The sportscam was now having an off time but I thought this poor quality of image of the oldest vehicle passed worthy of inclusion.

38.87 miles 2934ft climbed 13mph avg.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Whilst it wasn't as warm as the last week, the tempratures were still plenty warm enough for shorts and t-shirt. I headed out through the roads and the fields around are steadily growing, some fields have been left to go wild.

I head into the forest and starting heading North. At one point a deer springs up from the path next to me where it had been sleeping and charges off into the undergrowth. As I change tack and head into a different section of forest the track has started to grow over and is quite rough going.

For several kilometres I follow different paths slowly meandering North, from wide gravel paths to dried narrow mud paths. Then I leave one gravel path and set off onto a 200 metre long connecting path. During the winter this path is pockmarked with deep holes filled with water and is quite easy and fun to navigate. However, the grass has grown wild and is tall and overgrown, interspersed with bramble and nettles as well, it's nigh on impossible to see the holes.

Time and again I hit a rut or hole and grind to a halt, as soon as I do, the call goes out to all the local Clegs and Mosquitoes, meals on wheels is here! Finally reaching the end of this section is greeted with relief, I'm scratched, stung and bitten to hell and no doubt crawling with ticks as well. I think I might seek out an alternative path next time I come this way!

The next kilometres though are sublime, kilometre after kilometre of fine gravel roads snaking through the forest. I make good speed and the murderous insects are left far behind.

After a while a short quiet country road awaits, before it's back into the forest for the last kilometres towards some stunning single track trails. The sun is beating down and creating beautiful dappled light in the forest. I stop for a while and listen to the sounds of the forest, the trees creaking in the wind and the birds singing loudly. There's not a soul to be seen, which always amazes me, it's so lovely out here, but aside from all the wild animals, I have the place to myself.

After the single track it's into the last kilometres through the pines and on towards home.

In all, it was just shy of 40 kilometres on a lovely summers day out in the forest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom