Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Same two rides as yesterday. Work commute this morning 6.68 miles with an average of 19.1 mph. An extended ride home via Acaster Malbis where I stopped to take a couple of photographs, there is an old airfield somewhere?
I had another stop on the bridge over the Ouse where I watched the kids jumping off into the river! Really felt like doing that myself as I was far too hot riding with a backpack.
27.93 miles with an average of 15.4 mph.

13 rider

Guru
So with the bike repaired plans were back on .My short break away was booked at the last minute so not much research was done but one destination stood out Lake Vrynwy which I had read about @Rickshaw Phil rides . I had contacted Phil and he roughly advised a route I then plotted a hillier way . Left Oswestry across the A5 10 flat miles into Wales and the climbing starts a 900ft climb to start which was tough as the new chairing has a 39 inner ring compared to a 36 on the old one. More rolling then a descent then another big climb then a rapid descent as I neared the Lake which had a lovely hairpin bend . Got to the Lake once round the lake to find big sis at waiting at the cafe so coffee and cake was consumed

Crossing the boarder

Resting after the first climb

Made it

The Dam wall showing off my silver chainrings
Retraced my route home so the fast descent became monster climbs and the climbs descents

Apparently you can see Ironbridge from here
64 miles done ,elevation was recorded at 3900ft but felt more took 4hrs 21mins riding time average 14.8mph . Legs ache now . Can't remember most of the places name's lots of LL and certainly can't pronounce them

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
So with the bike repaired plans were back on .My short break away was booked at the last minute so not much research was done but one destination stood out Lake Vrynwy which I had read about @Rickshaw Phil rides . I had contacted Phil and he roughly advised a route I then plotted a hillier way . Left Oswestry across the A5 10 flat miles into Wales and the climbing starts a 900ft climb to start which was tough as the chairing have a 39 inner ring compared to a 36 on the old one. More rolling then a descent then another big climb then a rapid descent as I neared the Lake which had a lovely hairpin bend . Got to the Lake once round the lake to find big sis at waiting at the cafe so coffee and cake was consumed View attachment 594258
Crossing the boarder
View attachment 594259
Resting after the first climb
View attachment 594260
Made it
View attachment 594261
The Dam wall showing off my silver chainrings
Retraced my route home so the fast descent became monster climbs and the climbs descents
View attachment 594263
64 miles done ,elevation was recorded at 3900ft but felt more took 4hrs 21mins riding time average 14.8mph . Legs ache now . Can't remember most of the places name's lots of LL and certainly can't pronounce them
Great to hear you had a good ride. I must get myself out there again now.:addict:

gavgav

Guru
If I’m heading out on the bike after work, I normally do it straight after finishing, when motivation is at its highest. Different tonight though, as I watched the Wales football match and had tea, then set out at 7pm, on the carbon.

I thought it may be quieter on the roads at that time, but it was far from it, seeming just as busy as rush hour on the main road between Shrewsbury and Annscroft. There was a blustery westerly wind as well, which was a challenge until I turned East again in Annscroft. A group of 3 lads, in a Fiesta, also came storming past me, around a blind bend, they’d have stood no chance should anything have been coming in the opposite direction. In Hook a gate, I passed the pub and they were clambering out of the car in the car park, to head for the pub. By the standard of driving, I’d suggest they’d been lubricating elsewhere as well……

I called in on dad for half an hour and then set back out into the muggy air, with gathering black clouds, but no sign of any thunderstorms yet. I crossed the A49 and then, after passing the RSPCA centre, found some bizarre fly tipping, with 2 full-size car front seats dumped in a gateway……followed shortly by the back seats in the next gateway :wacko:

The roads to Condover and Betton Abbots were much quieter and pleasant riding with a tailwind, before I turned back into the wind and home.

14.93 miles at 13.4mph avg speed

ianbarton

Veteran
Starting from Bala there is a good 55km loop up over to the lake. Ride around the lake and return via Llanuwchwyn via the other pass through the hills. It's about 900m of ascent. The hill up from the lake to the pass above is quite testing, but the lake is about 100m higher than Bala, so there isn't as much climbing on the return leg.

ianbarton

Veteran
Not quite as hot yesterday. I went on one of my local loops to Whitchurch and back via Wrenbury. My chain has been slipping when in the small ring at the front and a big ring at the back. There is a short sharp ascent up Black Park road between Whitchurch and Marley Green. I stood up on the pedals and the chain decided to unship. Luckily I managed to unclip and avoid a face plant on the road. I got the chain back on and started off in a higher gear. Got my chain measuring tool out when I got home and it's definitely time for a new chain! So it's back to riding my PlanetX winter bike for a few days.

43km with 443m of ascent.

Whitchurch high street.
vlcsnap-2021-06-17-11h56m10s330.png

Yes, cafes are open again!
vlcsnap-2021-06-17-11h55m42s696.png

Old jon

Guru
A ride out with company today. Evidence of recent rainfall outside, but I believed the forecast. Out on the Spa and away to the far north (of Leeds) to meet the others.

Aim for Scarcroft, straight across the A58 onto one of the many Thorner Lanes then along Milner Lane to the right turn for Bramham. Skirt around that, find Clifford and ride on to Thorp Arch, crossing the River Wharfe on the way. Still a bit cool compared to recent days, what breeze there was seemed to be from the north and the ride into that to Tockwith kept the temperature reasonable.

Turn east towards Long Marston, as the miles go by the more the route bends southwards through Angram and to a cafe stop in Askham Richard. I should have bought a sandwich, they were very impressive. Next time for sure. From there, Bilborough is next then over the A64 to Bolton Percy. The road from there to Tadcaster is vaguely westward, we recross the Wharfe there and ride out along the Stutton road. But do not go into the village. Turn right instead and climb alongside the A64, which is in a cutting there, all the way to Red Brick Farm.

And back to the edge of Bramham. A reverse repeat of the earlier part of the ride, the views are different and the gradients altered. My legs were feeling the miles too, so a suggestion to miss that long slog by the golf course was a good one. Reach Scarcroft and turn left, top of that rise, turn right, yup that felt easier than the usual way to Tarn Lane. Turn left at the end of that and we can see the start point of the ride.

Separate ways home from there, for me eight or nine downhill miles. A good way to finish a wonderful ride out on a day of very fair weather. Big smile for the sixty miles on the clock at the end of my street, and climbing 2000 feet too!

Pictures again,

17062021.jpg

1706elev.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out on the Tricross at 10am for a meet up with friends David & Martin. We headed out towards Thorner and then back through Scholes, Barwick in Elmet & Aberford.
lunch at the Fenton Cafe was lovely then back home before the rain.
32.75 miles with an average of 15.3 mph.

13 rider

Guru
As per previous post I'm was away last week near Oswestry ,today I decided to ride home all 108 miles of it !! .I had checked the forecast and knew I would be riding towards the rain and would probably get wet at some stage . Out the door early at 0630 leaving the village of Whittington ,I knew the first half of the ride would be flatish .Down the lanes to Ellesmere and into @AndreaJ territory of Whixall . First traffic on route in Market Drayton crossing the A41 then back into the lanes rolled into the cafe at Norbury Junction ,44 miles down . Headed towards Cannock where it got a bit lumpy , going over the chase . Through Lichfield the only town I went through and that was because I was heading for the cafe at Curborough previously Mavis,s but now rebranded to Thyme kitchen ,Prices up ,cake portion smaller it's off my list now . Just before I got here it had started to spit with rain by the time I left it was raining . On with the rain jacket as I don't think it will stop now .I'm now on familiar roads ,Croxall ,Measham ,Odestone ,Markfield and home . Was properly drenched when I got home but still really enjoyed the ride all 108.04 miles with 3962ft of upness in a 7hrs 8 mins .
The route was plotted using cycle travel website and was excellent used lovely lanes nearly all the way home
A lovely break which was really needed ,thanks to Big sister for driving everyone else home and being at the end of the home if rescue was required

AndreaJ

Veteran
As per previous post I'm was away last week near Oswestry ,today I decided to ride home all 108 miles of it !! .I had checked the forecast and knew I would be riding towards the rain and would probably get wet at some stage . Out the door early at 0630 leaving the village of Whittington ,I knew the first half of the ride would be flatish .Down the lanes to Ellesmere and into @AndreaJ territory of Whixall . First traffic on route in Market Drayton crossing the A41 then back into the lanes rolled into the cafe at Norbury Junction ,44 miles down . Headed towards Cannock where it got a bit lumpy , going over the chase . Through Lichfield the only town I went through and that was because I was heading for the cafe at Curborough previously Mavis,s but now rebranded to Thyme kitchen ,Prices up ,cake portion smaller it's off my list now . Just before I got here it had started to spit with rain by the time I left it was raining . On with the rain jacket as I don't think it will stop now .I'm now on familiar roads ,Croxall ,Measham ,Odestone ,Markfield and home . Was properly drenched when I got home but still really enjoyed the ride all 108.04 miles with 3962ft of upness in a 7hrs 8 mins .
The route was plotted using cycle travel website and was excellent used lovely lanes nearly all the way home
A lovely break which was really needed ,thanks to Big sister for driving everyone else home and being at the end of the home if rescue was required
Good to see your route planning got you back out of Whixall, it’s a notorious for people getting lost!

theloafer

Legendary Member
did a few jobs in garden yesterday . so had a free day so decided to pop out for coffee+cake as you do. just went the scenic route ^_^ out to shildon along the cyclepath to pick up the off road route (part of the W2W) towards Langton -Little Newsham to join the A67 to drop into Barnard Castle.
there was wall to wall traffic and one of my fav coffee stop was heaving ,so i pressed on to the next one but for a change took the Greta bridge road which meant using the A66 :ohmy: but it was only about a mile. which then put me back on track to Eppleby . coffee and scone gulped down it was time to head to the next stop via Manfield and the back way into Darlington.
took the short route through Darlo to get to the cyclepath by the A167 to Brafferton then called in at the Cozy coffee for some of Rosie's very yummy Mango and white choc cake :hungry:. as it was now getting very chilly headed home with a detour to the hole in the wall another good day 50 miles done
just popped out for a coffee | Ride | Strava

part of the W2W

mango and white choc :biggrin:

Start today's cycling shenanigans by removing the fron wheel from the Scott and replacing it with the one from the Revell. Remove the knackered tyre, pack it up and lable it, put it in my backpack. Ride! Drop off parcel after NCN270 bit, then loop back downhill and to the Spar shop to drop it off for Collect+.
Then the standard zip out to the ramp at Leg O'Mutton. Had a brief conversation with a local lady who hasn't ridden back to Yelverton this way before. I warned her about the ramp at Leg O'Mutton, and she was still in sight when I stopped to turn. She went straight up it, no bother...
:eek:
Bike felt slightly odd, as the Revell front wheel has a rigid 28c tyre on, and the rear on the Scott has a 25c folder. I don't see why I should notice, but it did feel odd at times. The point is, it worked.
However, when I got back, I noticed a problem I'd caused myself by swapping the cabling between the two bikes. The loops was a bit much from the left shifter, and the pressure had split the ferrule and the end of the cable where it met the cable stop. Out with the tools to shorten and re-adjust...
Stats:

I think I upped the average a bit trying to keep up with the aforementioned lady, certainly felt it at the turnaround point!
Great weather, not too busy on the trails, road traffic ridiculous.

Top Bottom