Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Thanks everyone for your good wishes. The incident has been reported, and I am waiting to be contacted.

I wasn't hurt seriously, some scrapes in my left hand and cheek and a bruise on my left shoulder, but nothing serious. I think the only damage to the bike is a twisted left hand shifter, which should just twist back by loosening the brace. Quite lucky. His door took the brunt of the damage, as it got forced forward when I got caught by it, he was struggling to get it to close when he left, and there's damage to the body work of both the door and the front panel. It is going to be an expensive outburst for him.

His door took the brunt of the damage, as it got forced forward when I got caught by it, he was struggling to get it to close when he left, and there's damage to the body work of both the door and the front panel. It is going to be an expensive outburst for him.

Every cloud...

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

AndreaJ

Veteran
It sounded like lots of rain overnight but the roads seemed to have dried off this morning although there were a lot of dark looking clouds about. Started off to Loppington where the road has surface dressed sometime in the last couple of days although only a short stretch was done and carried on all way to Burlton, crossed the road and carried on to Marton. Turned off to Petton as I haven’t been this way for a while before turning back down to Weston Lullingfields, back to Baschurch along the newly fixed lane then to Stanwardine, Bagley, Lee, past Whitemere with lots of people sailing today, over the crossroads to Colemere, Pikesend, Lyneal, Bettisfield where there had definitely not been any pothole repairs, Northwood turning towards home with a detour down Ossage Lane, Horton then home. 36.4 miles.
AD177522-72CF-451C-BA46-05772E3F4133.jpeg

32D092F9-E065-480C-860C-35498FEF507E.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday and after an earlier prediction of heavy rain all day the day dawned overcast but by ten past one glimmers of brightness had appeared and a long sleeve jersey quickly changed for a short sleeve one. North via Killinghall and up the A61 to just beyond Ripon, then continuing north to the 5th letter ABC of Hutton Conyers

Through Nunwick, Wath (pausing for a snack), Kirklington,

Carthorpe, Burneston and Excelby to join onto the A6055 – a detached northern section to the same numbered road that runs between Knaresborough and Boroughbridge and which acts as local road parallel to the A1(M) like the A168 further south. The Wahoo squealed but I carried on joining the route of NCN71 through a motorway junction with the A684; unlike NCN67 at junction 45 this NCN was screened by a 6ft fence from the adjacent carriageway. East of the motorway junction the NCN crossed the road busy with HGVs heading to a truckstop so the crossing button was pressed. It then crossed the actual access to the truckstop but without any crossing lights. Quite where the NCN went thereafter I was uncertain but its winding route was not going to be followed so onto the A684, the Wahoo squealing its delight as the plotted route that had been through Leeming Bar was rejoined. In Morton on Swale what might not be North Yorkshire Polices latest patrol car passed.

Two hours in and another snack break at Romandby then through Northallerton

A couple of wrong turnings corrected and Brompton reached; maybe someone had been trying to fold the sign.

Looped back to Northallerton and took the A168; this being an original part of that numbered road and well away from the A1(M). Transpired I was lucky as the road was lined with signs implying surface dressing was imminent. It was rough; that rough on a down grade section that the vibrations caused the Wahoo to enter lap mode without being touched. Turning into the B1448 Thirsk was reached and immediately beyond Sowerby ( the fifth letter Q being skipped as seemingly non existant)

Into Dalton I stopped the plotted route and headed to Topcliffe and Rainton where I pondered the time and to speed up the return journey headed west out of the village; a road that use to cross the A1 on the level:wacko: but now is blocked either side of the A1(M) and a single carriageway bridge provides a crossing. Joined the A61 to Ripon then passed through the market place.

Direct to Bishop Monkton for a snack break on a stream side bench, then up Moor Road and back south via the A61. Another metric century after yesterdays near miss; 69.37 miles 2178 ft climbed, avg 15.4mph

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Today I was aiming for a 50 miler. I plotted a route out to Broadway that would give just over the target distance, the only uncertainty was what the weather would do. When I got up this morning it was apparent that it had rained quite a bit overnight, but it wasn't raining any more, and the forecast was for drizzle for a bit and then dry.

Out at 6:05, heading through the lanes to Earls Croome, and then left for Eckington via Baughton and Defford. I was making good time, but the drizzle started, and was getting thicker as I went through Bredon and up towards Overbury, where I took the right turn towards the A46 roundabout at Teddington.

Got to Teddington fairly quickly, and then headed for Toddington, with the drizzle still quite thick, and both Brecon hill and the Cotswolds shrouded in mist
View attachment 594919
View attachment 594920
By the time I got Toddington the drizzle was thinning, and I was now half way through the ride, turning towards Broadway.

The ride to Broadway was uneventful, turning towards Chidswickham for the last stretch. Things now took a bad turn, though. A car came out from one of the side roads on my left, and I only just managed to swerve around it as the driver finally stopped across the lane once he heard my shouts. I said to the driver to keep their eyes open, and carried on, hoping that was all the excitement for the day.

Unfortunately, it sounds like he didn't like my advice about his driving. A couple of minutes later I heard a car coming up behind, and as it overtook I noticed it was the car that had just nearly hit me, after overtaking he swerved back into the lane, and slammed the brakes. I managed to swerve around, but he opened his door as I was going past and I hit the door with my left side and fell to the floor. Luckily I had scrubbed most of my speed, so I only had some bruises and scrapes, and not much damage to the bike either.

While I was lying on the floor he started shouting at me that it was my fault that he had nearly hit me earlier :wacko:. I pointed out he was the one joining from the side road, and I had avoided the accident, while now he had actually hurt me. With all the noise the neighbours came out, and asked him to stop shouting at me as I was hurt. He said I was fine and drove off. There was a car behind him who corroborated my story, and even provided his address. All now reported to the police.

I think I might have been OK to ride home, but I wasn't sure about the state of the bike, so called my wife to rescue me. The neighbours that had come out brought me a blanket and a cup of tea, and he even drove to the address the other driver had given and took photos of the car showing the damage to the door. They were really nice, waiting with me until my wife arrived.

Shame, as I was having a great ride, and it would have been a great imperial half, at least, I'm mostly OK and will ride another day, though maybe not this way.

Gosh this is dreadful. I hope, with all the witnesses, that this dangerous idiot is dealt with appropriately.

footloose crow

Über Member
Feeding the Crow

Some days I need to feed the Crow. It nags me, whispers in my ear, gnaws at my conscience until I have to give in and ride. Not a short ride but one that stretches my imagination and forces me to hurt my legs and lungs. Not a long ride by the standards of many but the only standard I have is the one I set myself. Although that it not true, it is the Crow inside me that sets the standard, that expresses his disappointment if I give in too easily, fail to meet my self imposed goals.

I have lain in bed too long this morning, putting off the moment to leave. Not comfortable with my plan, I tell my wife that I may just ride and see how it goes, come back after a few miles if it doesn't feel right. I have felt tired these last few days for no reason at all. She is worried about me. It is gone 10am by the time I leave when my plan was to go at 8. I test myself on the first hill, analysing my body, alert to the signs that will tell me how well I will go today. Brain in neutral, spin, watch the ground in front of the tyre and not the how far way the summit lies. A straight road, I could see the summit creep closer but it is better not to think at all. It feels OK this morning, even better when I pass a small peloton of three although I can see they are even older than me.

The greeness of Cornwall this month never ceases to take my breath away - or maybe that is just the relentless hills. I try to count the shades of green, order them, identify the trees I pass, the wildflowers rioting in the hedgerows. The miles pass - or rather the kilometres, as I have moved to being metric in line with my audax rides. Roche, an untidy gaggle of mid 20th century housing and industrial estates arrives and this is the first place I could turn around. The Crow says 'go on' and the bike obeys. I have no choice but to keep riding then, over the A30 packed with holidaymakers and along the straight back road that used to be the A30 before the dual carriageway was built.

I catch up with another cyclist and tuck in a few metres back, slower than I would have gone but reluctant to pass, enjoying the ease of following someone else, watching her legs pump up and down, following her gear changes as the roads pitches up and down. We part company at a roundabout and she gives me a wave.

Back lanes now, my natural habitat. I like the restricted vision to just the next bend, the warmth of the overhanging trees, the glimpses through farm gateways of the rolling fields and scattered woods. Sunshine breaking through the clouds, warm on my arms and legs, a hot band of heat around the rim of the helmet. 'Keep drinking' says the Crow.

Into Bodmin along a quiet lane, then suburban streets all Sunday morning quiet and suddenly like a bucket of cold water tipped over my head thrown into the busy town centre, traffic from all directions and as I enter a mini roundabout I can feel one of my contact lens depart my eye and fly off. Instant blurring. I can use the other eye but it is harder. I have gone from contentment to some anxiety. Burred vision is a bit dangerous but the Crow doesn't care. 'On, on' he says.

The Camel Trail beckons next. It is the easiest way through the hills around Bodmin but I hate it. It is always busy, the surface is poor and the views restricted by the trees on either side. A cool green tunnel that filters the light and where I struggle to see the potholes with my blurred vision. The Wahoo turns itself off on this section. It always does. I don't know why. Maybe it is the trees and steep sided valley or maybe there is a deep Celtic curse on the land that abhors new technology.

It comes back to life with a cheery chirrup as the Camel Trail ends and points me up a 15% slope that goes on and on. The road relents to 5-7% for a few miles and I wonder how I ever thought I might ride up the Ventoux one day, if I can't manage this without gasping. The Crow says he wants to do the Ventoux no matter what I think so 'get used to the idea and keep pedalling'. Up through the beautiful moorland village of St Breward, cows grazing free on the greens and old granite houses and suddenly onto Bodmin Moor itself. This is Open Access country, no more walls or hedges but open land in all directions, rolling rough grass, bracken and gorse, the odd bent tree surviving against the odds. This is the only part of Cornwall that gets snow every winter. Just three hundred metres above the turbulent Atlantic rollers but that height is enough to make it a world apart from the verdant valleys below. An ancient landscape of worn granite and standing stone circles that are older than the pyramids.

After weeks of cycling on choked roads, fighting the holiday traffic, struggling to get across the A roads with nose to tail cars and vans the calmness of the Moor is a balm. The Crow is chuckling, he is happy. I am 60k from home and the empty roads stretch to the far horizon, dipping up and down and I want to just keep going forever.

The Wahoo gently guides me around the Moor and I don't have to make any decisions, just enjoy the views across a widespread ocean of rough moorland, until it is time to drop back down into the real world, via a steep twisting hill that I am delighted to be descending rather than ascending.

From here it just a case of following quiet lanes, deeply incised between tall banks of Cornish hedges and walls, rising and falling like a pod of whales, each bend bringing a new view, wildflowers and the call of sheep and cattle, the hissing of the tyres. The relentless creaking of my saddle rails is the only discordant note. A small section of the Camel Trail (again) eases me past some steep hills and then a long uphill through woods and old farms, granite lined fields and overhanging trees brings me back to the always busy Roche. The Crow needs feeding here and so do I - an ice cream hits the spot as I sit outside the traffic stained garage and listen to the everlasting roar from the A30 a hundred metres away.

The way home from here, another 25k, is well worn in my neural pathways and the Wahoo can be switched off. This is the hardest part of the ride physically and psychologically as I am starting to tire and I don't have the constant novelty of new lanes and vistas to distract me. I know these roads too well from my winter rides and even though they are cloaked in green, bursting with new life and the summer wind is gentle against my bare arms, I just want to get them over with.

The Crow has been fed. He is happy with the distance and the challenge. He has only one thing to say as I lead him back up the garden path. 'Next week' he whispers 'you have that 200k ride to Lands End and the Lizard to do'. But thats for another day I tell him and lean the bike and the Crow against the house and go in for some tea.

Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 12.36.38.png

Attachments

• E1F04834-580F-44DF-978A-4053D6B3CECC.jpeg
    E1F04834-580F-44DF-978A-4053D6B3CECC.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 6

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Out just before 6.30am for an extended commute to work, a bit nippy this morning so a base layer, arm warmers and long finger gloves were welcome. My backpack also keeps me pretty warm too. 27.81 miles with an average of 16.3 mph.
Then my regular commute home just after 5pm of 6.74 miles with an average of 17.6 mph, still a bit chilly 🥶

AndreaJ

Veteran
Despite an early morning wake up call courtesy of neighbours toddler having a meltdown in the garden I didn’t get moving until late morning which did at least give the sun time to reappear. Took a roundabout sort of way into Wem via Waterloo and Edstaston and over the railway crossing to head to Aston and Barkers Green. The council have been busy surface dressing the lane through Barkers Green which is a bit disappointing although it must have been done a few days as it wasn’t too loose, turned back towards Wem to get to Tilley, Nonely and out to Myddle. Back down the main road to Burlton, English Frankton, Colemere, Lyneal, Northwood and home. 26 miles exactly with quite a few other cyclists out today.
The little Highland calf was too cute not to take his picture!
D09E4E0A-6B44-4014-A93A-833B89BD712A.jpeg

694EFC05-5BC8-4F04-A647-2B7F1D897C9E.jpeg

Old jon

Guru
A ride out with company today, and a cool bright morning to start it with. The route promised hills, and delivered on that promise. Off I rode on the Spa.

Half a dozen for company, and at least one other club met at the same place this morning. We pedalled off towards Wike, turned left there to the A61 and along that to Harewood. Down through the deer park, or thereabouts, and our first visit to the A659 today, riding along it to return to the A61 and cross the River Wharfe. A bit further north is the left turn to Dunkeswick, the road begins to rise after leaving the village on the way to Weeton.

Still rising after crossing the A658 on the way to Huby and then Almscliff Crag. Things level out then, relatively. Three Gates Lane was part of the way around to the north of Braythorn, I think, and then around the northern end of Lindley Wood Reservoir, a really fun downhill in that bit. Farnley after leaving the reservoir on our left and another whizz to Otley, grub stop time. Then Pool and Arthington, but not Creskeld Lane today. The route notes said Weardley Bank, which I thought would be the road from that village up to Burden Head Farm on the way to Eccup.

I was wrong. Turn right off the A659 onto Rawden Hill, seems good, it cuts a corner off. A much bigger corner than I thought. There is another right turn along here, Bedlam Lane. Which takes us, breathlessly in my case, almost all the way to Burden Head Farm. Steep, narrow, gravel patches and the occasional bend as well. Fun when it’s done though.

Eccup was a relaxing ride after that. Village to reservoir and the A61 again for short stretch. Then folk go separate ways. Back to Slaid Hill for me, Roundhay Park gates, Oakwood and back across the Aire at Crown Point on my last lap to home. Big smile after 2815 feet of upward stuff and forty six miles, most of them on fair good roads surrounded by great scenery. Great day for a ride, great company too.

Down and up, east and west.

22062021.jpg

2206elev.jpg

a.twiddler

Veteran
22/6/21
Going stir crazy. Time constraints prevent me going for a decent ride. So much good weather wasted after all the rain during May and the early part of June. Mild today, not too hot. After rushing about during the morning I decide to squeeze in a tiny ride to the Library on the Linear, motivated by the prospect of a thundering good read later on. A quick once over, then out through the back gate.

A builder’s lorry reversing on the left blocks traffic coming from that direction, nothing coming the other way, so I launch. Feeling at home straight away, I get into lower gears until my legs get warmed up. Rolling steadily along I find my way to Swanlow lane and the uphill traffic lights. I get a run up then ease off. The lights change before I would have liked, but remain green until I’ve passed through. I settle down on the slightly undulating straight part of Swanlow Lane. It has traffic islands at intervals to discourage overtaking. I am just passing a car which is parked half on, half off the pavement just before one of these traffic islands when I hear an engine noise behind me and a large 4 X 4 overtakes on the other side of the road and traffic island. I have seen this happen before, and I wonder how often one of these vehicles actually collides with someone coming out of the many drives and small roads along this stretch.

I carry on to the roundabout on the A54 then follow it round to the downhill run to the town centre. I reach 27mph before getting into the right hand lane and stopping at the filter traffic lights. I get going again, turn right then left into a car park then up the kerb on the other side for a few yards to the Library. Sadly, it would normally be open at this time but a notice announces that it is closed “due to staff shortages”. Looks like I will be camping on the shores of Lake Disappointment tonight.

I follow the road round, take a brief short cut through the shopping precinct and turn right on to Dingle Lane. Straight on across a small roundabout, over some speed humps, right across a rather tricky pavement with some tight turns and on to Queensway.

I am quite pleased that I get through there slowly, steadily, and nochalantly, barely having to think about it. Two walkers approaching step apart and I say “straight down the middle” and one replies, “is there room for two on there?”

Left into Churchill Parkway then right at the T junction on Gladstone St. I sail on up Townfields Road a lot more easily than I did last time. A few degrees lower temperature makes a lot of difference though I was starting to warm up a bit at the top.

Left on to Swanlow lane at the top and through the lanes to my back gate.

It’s gratifying that I can just hop on this bike now and just pedal off, having accustomed myself to it, after a year, like my others. It’s a sign of my desperation that I’m including this miniature ride in “My ride today”. Must get out more!

Distance: 3.5miles Max Speed:27mph Average Speed 8.7mph

Total Ascent:​

118​

ft​
Total Descent:
118​
ft​
Start Elevation:
187​
ft​
End Elevation:
187​
ft​
Min Elevation:
126​
ft​
Max Elevation:
219​
ft​

Once again, this was on Sunday. Bear with me here...

After last weeks hill avoidance session, I decided that this weekend my climbing legs needed a bit of exercise. It was time to go into the Black Forest, which isn't as adventurous as it sounds because it's about three kilometres from my village.

Friday evening I got the map out. Three kilometres from my village it erupts in a mass of contours like geographical acne.

I decided not to be too adventurous and to substitute climbing for distance, but a goal was needed too. The Hochburg bei Emmendingen seemed a good starting point: a castle ruin in the shoulder of some hills, which would give me a good chance to collapse while pretending I was appreciating the culture. This would be followed by a descent and climb up one of the valleys to a town called Freiamt. On the other side of Freiamt was another pass which led into another valley; the plan was to get there, turn around and come back via a more direct route, having proved my legs were up to climbing. Buoyed up by this success I could repeat the ride later this year and drop into the valley beyond; it was psychology versus geography.

To tip the balance in my favour, I also packed a large bag of Skittles.

The way to the castle was a bit steep, but that's rather the point. It wasn't designed as a tourist attraction.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_11.jpg

Th castle has been made safe and generally restored for visitors but it's free to get in. We don't seem to have anything as ubiquitous as the National Trust and it's looked after by a local organisation: It's amazing the sort of charitable trusts which exist in every town in Germany.

It was also completely deserted so I could explore...

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_12.jpg

I wandered around for about half an hour, found some interesting tunnels which I filmed for Beautiful Daughter, and eventually decided I should probably get moving as this was supposed to be a "quick" ride...

This is where the real climbing started, through deep gorges with pine forests on both sides. The road got narrow and twisted alongside the river.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_24a.jpg

This is why I'd come early on a Sunday morning: I'd got enough "psychology" to work on with the hill without lots of traffic to contend with as well. Every now and again I'd pass a single house, generally close to the road but sometimes impossibly high up the hillside in the trees. The discreetly ornate French style buildings had gone: rough stone and wood was much in evidence and heavy roofs to keep the snow off.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_22a.jpg

Villages were squeezed into the valleys, clumped together where there was space, wedged between steep hills and the flood prone valley floor.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_23.jpg

Also, I discovered steep sided wooded gorges don't offer many opportunities for a discreet privvy break.

To my astonishment Psychology (and bladder control) were winning: suddenly I saw the sky ahead, the trees fell away and I was in Freiamt: there were schools, football fields and shops, and houses scattered across the rolling hills like they'd grown from seeds strewn across the landscape.

I found the "main" road to the pass I was looking for, and trundled along the ridge between the farms. This is a popular route for driving along, and I was passed on occasion by motorcyclists on massive bikes, the occasional classic car and on a couple of occasions quad bikers, riding in long convoys.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_27.jpg

Everyone else was still asleep though (or at least they had been until the quad bikes passed) so there wasn't much traffic and I had plenty of time to faff about in the middle of the road taking photos.

At this point I started to see signs for the pass and a new valley closed in, with the difference that I was now near the top. The designers of the road had apparently seen one of those cartoon "cliff edge" roads that winds through hills with a drop on one side, and thought: "Yeah, that's just the thing we need" To my surprise though, the road wasn't climbing steeply: I'd expected uncompromising gradients to a sudden summit, but it pootled along followed the contours pretty closely and I could just trundle along until I noticed it I was now going gently downhill, and realised I'd better turn around or get trapped in the next valley, which would add about 50k to my ride.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_28.jpg

Next time...

Back along the cartoon road, I found a shop selling home-made ice cream. Well, I say a shop, it was more a freezer in a barn door next to a box with a slot in it. Unfortunately I didn't have any change, so that will have to wait until next time too.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_31.jpg

The ridge road followed the contours closely, an attitude I fully approved of. It went back through the centre of Freiamt, past a few isolated farms and over a couple of small summits with views over to distant clusters of red roofed farms surrounding a church. The tourists were coming more frequently now; car horns blaring as drivers got in each others way on unfamiliar roads, so it was a relief to be heading back into the forest.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_32.jpg

The route back was more direct; the road followed the ridge again as far as it could, then dropped abruptly. Suddenly I was releasing all the potential energy I'd built up while climbing, and wonderfully, I had the road to myself and could indulge in wide sweeping curves around the hairpin bends.

2021_06_21_EM_Castle_Freiamt_33.jpg

As on previous rides the sudden change from apparently remote villages to our county town was a bit of a shock, not least because of the long dog-leg up being translated into mere minutes on the way down. Suddenly I was back near my home village; the rugged stone buildings and forest was gone again, replaced by vineyards and plastered, neat farmhouses with big courtyards.

I'd covered 50k, with a respectable amount of up, and found a route I can follow for the future. Psychology won the day, backed up by large amounts of Skittles, but we'll ignore that...

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
23/6/21
Irritated by my lack of rides recently I had initially intended to get up early, get my jobs done and set off out to try for 50 miles plus. Predictably, things took longer than expected so I had an early lunch and set off soon afterwards. Not so warm as it has been, cloudy with sunny spells and possibly rain later.

The Linear was facing towards the drive inside the garage so that dictated my initial direction of travel. Out on to the drive, round the block and on to Swanlow Lane, where I realised that I was riding into a headwind. It seemed promising -headwind out, tailwind back.

Rolling pretty well through the uphill traffic lights, an uneventful run to the A54 roundabout, Delamere St, Chester Rd to the turn off for Sandiway. Down the narrow potholed hill with high hedgebanks under the old railway bridge then off to the left to climb Cassia Green Lane. Steeper than I remember but it is pleasantly shady, and keeps the wind off.

At the junction at the top of the hill I turn left, rushing to get through the lights on Whitegate station bridge before they turn red, then into the station car park. To reduce the effect of the headwind I am going to use the shelter of the trees which line the rail trail for part of the route. Nevertheless, my progress feels slow. I soon become too warm and take my top off.

I soon reach the Kennel Lane bridge with its steep climb and sharp steep turn to the right after passing through the pedestrian/bike access. There are tree roots and a step on turning right, and on the other side of the lane a fallen fence with several barbed wire strands. Not something I want to run my tyres over. As on my previous trip this way, I have to have two bites at it.

A good downhill on a loose, gravelly sandy surface after crossing the bridge causes me to have to brake as the speed available exceeds my ability to stay upright. The surrounding trees absorb the wind. After crossing another lane there is a climb on a similar surface. Beyond the summit I hear dogs barking on the left from the kennels which presumably give the lane its name.

Another downhill leads to a tarmac surface which soon comes to a crossroads on the A556 in Sandiway. I wait for a gap in the traffic and launch across to Weaverham Road. This would normally be an easy freewheel but due to the headwind I find I have to pedal. Eventually it steepens enough so that I can just roll along. Across another crossroads, still pedalling to the hump over a railway bridge and freewheel to the next crossroads at the bottom of the hill where I turn right for Hartford and Northwich on Hodge Lane.

A slightly undulating road but I can’t get up much speed as the wind is still on my port quarter. I keep rolling to a double railway bridge with traffic lights. I am passed by a car just before I reach the lights which triggers the green then goes red. I ease off and change down then it goes green again. Having lost speed I spin furiously to get up on the bridge while the lights go red again. Obviously calibrated for cars! I keep going expecting to meet a car coming the other way but there is a queue stopped at the lights on the other side.

I keep going then turn right at a roundabout at Hartfordbeach then straight on at the next lights for Northwich. Traffic is building up as it is school run time. Down a slope to another set of lights which change just before I reach them so I have momentum to get up the other side.

A long traffic queue waits at the next lights at Castle so I approach slowly and manage to get through without coming to a halt.

A gradual downhill follows to the next set and I get through but two lanes of traffic are static on the other side. I hop onto the pavement and slowly follow a dog walker through a small park which cuts off the next corner. The path comes out next to very narrow footpath over a swing bridge over the Weaver. I Fred Flintstone it across the bridge then follow the pavement round to the right. I reflect that I could easily have cycled through on my steel tourer with its Randonneur bars, but the wide bars on the Linear could too easily make contact with the ironwork on either side and cause an off.

There is a police car with blue lights parked on a traffic island and traffic is backed up in all directions. I follow the pavement to the bridge over the River Dane and see a fire engine on the other side with its lights flashing. I ask a council worker with a hi viz jacket on what’s happening.

He says there has been a car on fire which has stopped all the traffic. The fire crew seem to be packing up their things and the traffic is beginning to move. I need to get across the road and an elderly walker (ie older than me) needs to as well. We both go together and the traffic stops for us. I thank him and he goes on his way.

I can’t get on to the road on the other side past the law courts as it’s full of cars that have tried to get through the back streets to avoid the congestion and now can’t get out onto the main road. I follow the pavement, join a cycle trail that follows the railway viaduct and come across a man pushing a mountain bike with its rear derailleur dangling by its cable. He is having a loud conversation with someone using his bluetooth ear piece. I ask him if he needs any help but he says he’s nearly home.

I stop to take photo of the pedestrian bridge to the locks.

I carry on along the path which now follows the riverside. I slow down behind a cyclist who has come across a long line of middle aged and elderly walkers. They have walking poles and backpacks and all the gear. The lead person says “cyclists!” in a tone that could just have easily said “spawn of the devil!” and they all press themselves to the side of the path to let us pass. I thank them and continue.

I have previously noticed that there is a cycle path alongside the road through Kingsmead and turn off the riverside path to try it out. I find that there is a clearly marked path in pink divided from the black footway by a white line. They are separated from the road by a kerb. Some months ago I saw someone riding a unicycle along here. Probably I make the same impression on passers by as he did. The cycle path is of a minimal width and is only on one side of the road. It’s nice to know it’s there but progress is slow across the various junctions and personally, if the traffic is not too bad I’d use the road. I follow the path to the roundabout on the A556 and cross over to Davenham.

The schoolkids are out in force now and one or two of them tear past on their bikes. Ho hum. I pass through Davenham on London Road avoiding the speed humps then turn towards Moulton on Jack Lane, avoiding yet more speed humps, crossing a mini roundabout and turning right on to Niddries Lane. I follow it uphill to the top, where it becomes unsurfaced and goes downhill. I am experimenting with the front drum, wondering if I can actually lock the wheel on this surface when, unusually, a car comes the other way. I squeeze into the hedge bank and he goes on his way.

Down through the tunnels under the railway, and across Meadowbank swing bridge. There are two bridges, one swings, the other is fixed.

I go left past the salt works and the bike seems to go really well. I suspect it is the benefit of the following wind as once I turn right on to the lower end of the Whitegate Way my performance becomes rather more flaccid.

It takes very little time to get to Grange Lane and turn left, and I ting my bell at two ladies walking slowly in the road deep in conversation.

Before I can catch up with them there is the dreaded solid thumping from the rear wheel and I find the tyre is flat. It’s not only my performance that has been flaccid, it is my back tyre too. The two ladies continue without noticing me as I get my pump out and pump away furiously. Maybe it is a slow leak, I think hopefully as I get on and start pedalling again. Within a few yards it is flat. I wheel the bike up the lane hoping to find a field entrance where I can fix it. After a hundred yards or so of rubbery squeaking I find a suitable spot. Annoying, as it’s only a couple of miles from home.

The Linear with its rearward facing dropouts and hub gear/derailleur combination is not an ideal candidate for rear wheel removal by the roadside but having previously trialled tube removal in the discomfort of my garage I am confident that if I can find the hole I can patch it without having to take the wheel off.

I swivel the mirror downwards and unclip the front light. I can then turn the bike upside down and rest it on the vertical bar ends on the accessory bar and the seat back which gives a solid base to work on the wheels. I am in the process of getting the tyre off when a helpful mountain biker stops and asks if I need help “Though I have no tools”. The moral support is welcome though I know what needs doing. We pull the tube out in stages then stuff it back in so we can rotate the wheel to a different spot. Nothing in the tyre (though there are many small cuts and nicks). The tube has two holes about 50mm apart so I patch them and hope for the best. The tyre is duly back on the rim, and stays up. We turn the bike the right way up, the mountain biker says cheerio and I thank him. It gets me home, and at the time of writing is holding pressure. I meant to take a photo while the tube was hanging out but hey ho.

Passing by the swings at the sports complex one young boy says, “Look! I want a bike like that!” A girl replies “I want one with 2 wheels at the back”. She is actually riding a small bike at the time. A bit much to hope that we have a couple of future recumbentists here, but who knows?

Over the last year I have often wondered what would happen in the event of a rear wheel p******* and how I would deal with it on the road. Normally with a conventional dropout I would just change the tube and fix it at home. Still, patching in place obviously works unless the valve has pulled out of the tube, and there are workarounds even for that, without completely removing the wheel. It was less dramatic than I’d feared, and I’m more sanguine about the prospect now.

Distance 22.5 miles. Max speed a very grudging 24mph. Average 7.8mph. Too much off road!

Total Ascent:​
608​
ft​
Total Descent:
608​
ft​
Start Elevation:
189​
ft​
End Elevation:
188​
ft​
Min Elevation:
40​
ft​
Max Elevation:
273​
ft​

Old jon

Guru
Oh dear, puddles! But the rain seems to have passed and there are patches of blue holding the clouds apart. A ride on the fixed might just be a good idea.

More than that, really. I had plotted (maybe the usual word) a route yesterday, to see if I could. And also to see if I could follow it in real life. All by myself. So I pedalled off in a most unusual direction for me, pretty certain I have never ridden a bike up that particular street before. Nothing ventured, nowt learnt. And soon enough I was climbing the rise to John o’ Gaunts.

Straight down the other side to the Oulton roundabout, turn left at the next one. Mickletown and Methley Junction, on the way through Methley Bridge to Castleford. Not much new so far, but do not turn left onto Lock Lane, turn right instead. Dunno the street name, but there are some ups and downs along that way, eventually taking me very near the Ferrybridge power stations. Not exactly wonderful scenery, but soon left behind.

Turned left here, to ride north towards Brotherton. And the first mistake. There was a slip road, but the garthing forgot to tell me to use it until I was well past the way on to the slip road. No odds, local knowledge said I would rejoin the made up route very soon. But from now on, the GPS was slower than me. Not clever.

So, missed Brotherton, back on track at Fairburn, next stop almost Micklefield for a munch. And then through there on what was once the A1. That runs a bit to the east these days, fair close to the road I am riding on to the north of Micklefield. A crossroads, do not turn to Lotherton, straight across to Aberford.

That last pull up to the maypole at Barwick was not easy, but the similar bits of rising road later were not bad at all. Second wind? Mostly up out of Barwick, Scholes is not known to be flat, ok the A64 to Thorner Lane is straight and level All one hundred yards of it. All the way into Thorner until the left turn onto Carr Lane.

Which takes me to the A58 and a left turn towards Leeds. All the way around I had been looking forward to the wheeee!!! down Boot Hill, it did not disappoint. Turn right to ride past the Oakwood Clock, more downhill to the town centre. Across the river and home is soon reached. The planned route was forty miles. Missing Brotherton shortened that a little. Not enough to take the grin off my face though. And 1844 feet of upness didn’t half make my legs tired.

Twist and turns, lumps and bumps . . .

24062021.jpg

2406elev.jpg

Top Bottom