Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Just had enough time to squeeze in a longer ride this morning. Set off into Whixall and to Alkington via Fenns Wood and Blackloe. Took the first turning to Tilstock and the next one back to Whixall taking a roundabout sort of way to Cotonwood coming onto the Whitchurch road at Steele Heath. Nearly got flattened by a man on a mountain bike pulling out of a side road, I had said good morning as I didn’t think he was looking but he carried on anyway and evasive action was needed to avoid a collision. Turned off to Prees going past the cricket club to Edstaston. A bit more wandering around to get to Horton and across the road to Nonely and Loppington before heading home. 33.2 miles on a hot and humid morning. No pictures today because I was in a rush.

Mike_P

Guru
1030 Sunday morning and once again north to Ripon on the A61; in Killinghall a pair of Morris Minors and and a pair Triumph sports cars (a TR4 and TR5) passed badged for a Coast to Coast rally.

It was slow approaching Ripley which seemed just be the volume of traffic at the first roundabout rather than the NCN crossing. Apparently the wind was a SSE but their appeared to be a distinct westerly element to it and a new PR on the north east climb at Wormald Green.
Out of Ripon on the B6265 pass the racecourse, then via Copt Hewick to join the road towards Dishforth and north to Rainton; one of my normal snack stop breaks. East to Topcliffe with its potentially confusing anti-clockwise one way system for the A167 north pass the Armys Alanbrooke Barracks to rejoin the A61 east to Thirsk; the road gained a cycle lane and passed the racecourse which was partly visible.

A learner driver nicely slowed the traffic entering the centre of Thirsk

The one way system lead to a southerly direction being adopted briefly and the blue sky completely vanished. East on the relatively busy A170 to the first turning left which headed upgrade getting steeper as it went peaking at 14.8% to the fifth letter ABC of Felixkirk.

The name comes from the church which is dedicated to St Felix.

Followed the route of NCN65 to Sutton under Whitestonecliffe, a narrow single track road largely descending, then west on the A170 turning south to Bagby.

A slightly elongated zig zag followed over the A19 as I initially missed the right turn and a U turn was necessary. Thereafter joined the route of NCN657 through Dalton. Komoot had then recommended a short cut compared to the NCN route along Blind Pierce Lane. Initially sign posted as for two villages the way to them turned off. A sign saying farm access only was the first sign that all might not passable ahead and, after the farm entrance, a gate across with a sign adjacent referencing a DEFRA no access warning.
Back tracked to the route of NCN657 and followed it through Sessay beyond which started lightly raining. Just as I was pondering maybe the rain jacket needed putting on it stopped. Turned to Thornton Bridge; another normal snack stop.
Then through Boroughbidge and Minskip to Staveley for an additional snack before the climbing home.
Out of Knaresborough I opted for the cycleway alongside the A59 which had been tided of the overgrowth since I last used it. The old railway cutting that the Starbeck branch of NCN67 uses was notable for the lack of wind. 102.5km/63.71 miles 2265ft climbed 14.9mph avg.

Finally I got my missus to agree to go out on the Tandem yesterday, we bought it last year, went out 3-5 times and she said she enjoyed it but this year insisted going out on her CX bike the 4 times we have been out together.
So we did a 27 mile out and back on a fairly non serious hill route.
We managed to do 2 things for the first time on the tandem, first was to actually overtake some people.
We got stuck behind a car stuck behind a group of 6 ( bloke leading out 5 ladies) which were a bit strung out, the back 2 saw the car put themselves in the hedge and let it past, saw us slowed and let us pass. Then the car got past the final 4 and we followed. It was hit and miss whether we would as my missus was so nervous about actually overtaking anyone and we had a brief inboard argument over it as she wanted to stay behind them. Good job we did as we left them far behind, went to the cafe at the end had coffee and cake and when we came out the group finally went past.
The second thing we managed to do was get out of the saddle at the same time and stamp on the pedals up 3 hills. We tried it last year and nearly ended up in a hedge as we ended up in a nearly uncontrollable weave.
Afterwards we looked at who deserved most cake , I averaged 181 watts and used 1200 calories my avg heart rate was 118, she averaged 71 watts used 443 calories but avg heart rate was 149.

Old jon

Guru
Early again, sort of cloudy. Nothing falling from the sky right now so off I go before cabin fever takes hold.

Making for Slaid Hill again, Wike Ridge Lane is a good ride in this direction. After East Keswick, turn right to pedal to Collingham, turn left to cross the river to Linton. Wetherby next, the former railway station has a bike path through it to Deighton Road A shortcut I suppose. Do not go to Kirk Deighton, bear right to the A168, aiming for Walshford. There is a bike track alongside this road.

A bit of a squiggle and a longer lane than I remember goes to Whixley railway crossing and then Whixley itself. I think, the place seems to have grown. Around a couple more corners, Tancred and it’s farm shop are there. This being a solo ride, I did a U turn. Back to the previous junction and continue in the direction I had been travelling. A right turn, back to Whixley but a different bit, leave the village on Station Road.

Which climbs a bit. Then rolls along southward, Cattal and the level crossing nearby and the occasional farm are almost the only buildings along here until reaching the outskirts of Walton. Through Thorp Arch trading estate to find that bike path to Newton Kyme, which also takes me back across the River Wharfe, first crossed at Linton. The River Nidd has also been crossed today, at Walshford on the way out, Cattal just a few miles back. Anyway, from Newton Kyme, a stretch of the A659 goes towards Bar Lane, the way to Clifford.

Which was busy, with through traffic and one polite horse rider. Soon ridden through, on the way to Bramham. But not to Thorner. Ride along one of the many Thorner Lanes to Milner Lane and continue to Scarcroft. Cross the A58 and slog up by the golf course and along Tarn Lane. Which nicely brings me back to Wike Ridge Lane and Slaid Hill.

All downhill from here, choose to ride past the clock at Oakwood on the way to Crown Point and my final river crossing today. Oh, some traffic lights at red along here. A smell of petrol, a BMW in front spun its back tyres as it pulled away. Round the next corner, there it was, parked in a bus stop with a pool of petrol spreading underneath. Not a thing I could do to help, but I did wonder just how that had happened.

So, fifty one mostly flat miles, a smidge more than two thousand feet of elevation gain and a good ride out this morning. ‘Course I am smiling!

And today it behaved!

13072021.jpg

1307elev.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Headed out after finishing work, for a ride with @Rickshaw Phil. It was a lovely sunny and warm early evening, but there was a very blustery wind, that seemed to be an againsterly in virtually every direction :wacko:

We’d arranged to meet at a nearby pub, but whilst I was waiting to cross the road at the Pelican Crossing near the Retail Park, I saw Phil coming down from his direction and so we met there instead.

We went through Meole Village and then out to Hook a Gate and Annscroft, wasn’t too busy on that road, for a change. Evidence of the wind issues could be seen at the junction for Exfords Green, where the Union Jack flag was initially blowing towards us, but swung round to be with us, just as we reached it :rolleyes:

Thankfully, it then swung again and was a tailwind through to Stapleton. We met the moron of the ride, on that section, who came round a corner and veered onto our side of the road, whilst looking down at something, probably his phone, to the point that I thought I may have to dive into the hedge to avoid a head on collision. He looked up eventually and swerved away. Prat.

We continued on to Ryton and Longnor, along the rutted lane, then turned North/East and found the proper headwind again, to Frodesley, Pitchford, Acton Burnell, Cantlop and Betton Abbots, where we had a Nissan Navara impatiently overtake us, straight into the path of an oncoming car.

We parted ways with 20.85 miles at 12.7mph avg for me.

@Rickshaw Phil at our drinks pause near Longnor

Despite still feeling like a bus had just run me down, I went out today. Took the mixte. Felt quite weird after the relative twitchiness of the Scott.
Two stops to climb the Leg O'Mutton ramp, quite aceptable with this level of gearing, methinks. Even so, getting better at it.

The way I'd come...

Trusty Steed

The remaining climb

Realised the old-style seat clamp was not quite tight enough, so popped in to Rockin' Bikes and borrowed a 13mm spanner for 30 seconds.
Then away towards Yelverton and Clearbrook. The leat track between these two points is fast, if it's not busy with other walkers and riders, and today it was pretty clear, so gunned it a bit, always good for the soul!
Got to the Clearbrook Leat car park, left and right, onto a road that eventually has meetings with the NCN27 track, but further down beyond the unpleasant Shaugh Tunnel. Will try that route next time I decide on a long one. Turned at a point that would ensure an 18-mile total, back up to the car park and back onto the track for a few yards, then sat and had a rest. While gazing across the moor, I became aware that i had company and turned my head, to find a smiling Border Collie right in my face, determined to say hello. Lovely dog.

Dartmoor pony at Clearbrook CP

The view, pre-dog introduction

An entirely uneventful journey back from there, managing to get back before the school run started.
Still feeling crap, really, and have sciatica again in my right leg, which made mounts and dismounts a bit, shall we say, vocal. But good to get out and definitely the better for it.
Stats:

Nice weather, more on Friday if I can. Maybe a bit longer.

footloose crow

Über Member
14 July. Cornish summer daze

This is unbelievable! The oldest rider in the Tour by some twenty five years but here is is on the wheel of Pogacar. It has got to be 20% at this point. How is he doing it! They have left the rest of the breakaway group behind. Now...and this is truly unbelievable...now he is taking Pogacar on. Where did that acceleration come from! He has left Pogacar standing on the steepest part of the hill. He is ahead by 20 seconds already and the gap is growing. No one thought we would see this on the Tour. He will take the stage.....hands in the air...wild celebrations from Team Grey Sky and Footlose Crow has done it. The oldest cyclist to win a stage at the Tour de France.......

At which point I always wake up. With aching legs.

Summer is here and the sky has been scraped blue and dotted with fair weather cumulus for a few days now. Last week's rain has left debris on the lanes but the wet patches have almost gone. The hedgerows are trying to meet each other across the lane, bursting with life, a green tsunami rolling across the land. I have jobs to do and places I am supposed to be but I am going to sneak out today with Madame Crow and ride.

It is one of those days when you feel nothing can go wrong and even if it does, it doesn't matter. The carefree feeling that comes in that last week of the Summer term at school when you can feel the sun warming up and the days open up in front of you. Even the hills feel OK today although I am not fast. Madame has electric legs on her bike adding another 250W of power and she can beat me up every hill. She sings me a song as I arrive breathless at the top of the first big one. The tune is the Monkees theme - if you can remember it.

Here he comes.
Always last.
I know he's trying.
But he's not very fast.

There are more comments along the lines of maybe she could bring a stove and brew a cup of tea whilst she waits. Or have another child, bring him up, watch him go to university, have grandchildren whilst she waits for me. We head past Probus and into the Roseland peninsula, a secret land of quiet lanes. They are quiet too and we see only three cars in the next hour as we sweep along a high ridge, views opening up on either side across summer fields and smudged clouds in a cerulean sky. The lane dips up and down. Up to around 150m and then back down to sea level. Always steep. Slow going up and sitting on the brakes on the way down. I don't mind today. It is enough to be alive and feel the bike beneath me.

Through Ruan Lanihorne, a hamlet at the highest point of a largely unknown creek that leads out from the River Fal and then todays sternest test, a 150m long ramp of 20% followed by a steep descent into a wooded wilderness and then a relentless uphill back onto the plateau summit of the Roseland. We are both sweating in the drowsy July heat at the top.

More lanes, sweeping through Philleigh where the pub garden looks tempting and then onto the final hill before the switchback descent to the King Harry Ferry. For once the ferry arrives as we do and we don't have the long wait that I always have when I do this route alone. Madame does not believe it isn't always like this. The ferry guys are used to bikes and only ask for a donation to the air ambulance. We stick to our corner of the ferry whilst the other passengers are made to sit in their cars with windows closed.

There is a steep uphill after the ferry, past the National Trust property at Trellisick which is packed today, and then down to the creekside lane that runs along Restronguet Creek, past the millionaires houses, past yet another open pub garden and onto the Bissoe valley.

We are in mining country now and the lanes have become roads and the traffic is heavier. There are lots of people in Cornwall this month but as they use sat navs to get to places, the small lanes are empty still. That is the top tip for planning your cycling holiday in Cornwall - stay on the lanes and use a map. That and bring your climbing legs. Or an e-bike.

This is a short ride as Madame has a Teams meeting later this afternoon and she needs to be back. I want to keep going but I know there is sunshine tomorrow and the next day and the next day for as far as the weather app can see. I have all the time in the world. The endless summer stretches ahead still and the schools finish next week. We have weeks of long days and sunshine to come.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 18.10.44.png

13 rider

Guru
14 July. Cornish summer daze

This is unbelievable! The oldest rider in the Tour by some twenty five years but here is is on the wheel of Pogacar. It has got to be 20% at this point. How is he doing it! They have left the rest of the breakaway group behind. Now...and this is truly unbelievable...now he is taking Pogacar on. Where did that acceleration come from! He has left Pogacar standing on the steepest part of the hill. He is ahead by 20 seconds already and the gap is growing. No one thought we would see this on the Tour. He will take the stage.....hands in the air...wild celebrations from Team Grey Sky and Footlose Crow has done it. The oldest cyclist to win a stage at the Tour de France.......

At which point I always wake up. With aching legs.

Summer is here and the sky has been scraped blue and dotted with fair weather cumulus for a few days now. Last week's rain has left debris on the lanes but the wet patches have almost gone. The hedgerows are trying to meet each other across the lane, bursting with life, a green tsunami rolling across the land. I have jobs to do and places I am supposed to be but I am going to sneak out today with Madame Crow and ride.

View attachment 599099

It is one of those days when you feel nothing can go wrong and even if it does, it doesn't matter. The carefree feeling that comes in that last week of the Summer term at school when you can feel the sun warming up and the days open up in front of you. Even the hills feel OK today although I am not fast. Madame has electric legs on her bike adding another 250W of power and she can beat me up every hill. She sings me a song as I arrive breathless at the top of the first big one. The tune is the Monkees theme - if you can remember it.

Here he comes.
Always last.
I know he's trying.
But he's not very fast.

There are more comments along the lines of maybe she could bring a stove and brew a cup of tea whilst she waits. Or have another child, bring him up, watch him go to university, have grandchildren whilst she waits for me. We head past Probus and into the Roseland peninsula, a secret land of quiet lanes. They are quiet too and we see only three cars in the next hour as we sweep along a high ridge, views opening up on either side across summer fields and smudged clouds in a cerulean sky. The lane dips up and down. Up to around 150m and then back down to sea level. Always steep. Slow going up and sitting on the brakes on the way down. I don't mind today. It is enough to be alive and feel the bike beneath me.

View attachment 599100

Through Ruan Lanihorne, a hamlet at the highest point of a largely unknown creek that leads out from the River Fal and then todays sternest test, a 150m long ramp of 20% followed by a steep descent into a wooded wilderness and then a relentless uphill back onto the plateau summit of the Roseland. We are both sweating in the drowsy July heat at the top.

View attachment 599102

More lanes, sweeping through Philleigh where the pub garden looks tempting and then onto the final hill before the switchback descent to the King Harry Ferry. For once the ferry arrives as we do and we don't have the long wait that I always have when I do this route alone. Madame does not believe it isn't always like this. The ferry guys are used to bikes and only ask for a donation to the air ambulance. We stick to our corner of the ferry whilst the other passengers are made to sit in their cars with windows closed.

View attachment 599104

There is a steep uphill after the ferry, past the National Trust property at Trellisick which is packed today, and then down to the creekside lane that runs along Restronguet Creek, past the millionaires houses, past yet another open pub garden and onto the Bissoe valley.

We are in mining country now and the lanes have become roads and the traffic is heavier. There are lots of people in Cornwall this month but as they use sat navs to get to places, the small lanes are empty still. That is the top tip for planning your cycling holiday in Cornwall - stay on the lanes and use a map. That and bring your climbing legs. Or an e-bike.

This is a short ride as Madame has a Teams meeting later this afternoon and she needs to be back. I want to keep going but I know there is sunshine tomorrow and the next day and the next day for as far as the weather app can see. I have all the time in the world. The endless summer stretches ahead still and the schools finish next week. We have weeks of long days and sunshine to come.

View attachment 599126
Thanks for letting me know it's lovely in Cornwall ,for the last 25 years I would have been in Cornwall for this week but not this year . Keep the good weather going until September please

My best ride for a number of reasons today, a day off, due to possible (not actually required) hospital collection duties.
So, I had planned to ride from Bognor to Petworth, now that all was good, and it turned out that all was good!
So I left quite early, with a loose plan to ride north past Goodwood, through East Dean, as it would be the least hilly, although there was a headwind.
No matter, I got to Upwaltham, having a had my fastest ever speed downhill, 42mph!
I stopped for a drink and a snack at Cadence in Upwaltham, and had a chat with the Barista, and the sandwich maker, both really nice people. It is a place that is almost in the middle of nowhere, but right beside the South Downs Way, and is one of 3 or 4 Cadence rest stops serving food and drink. Mighty fine coffee, and a wonderful toasted sandwich set me off to ride the last few miles to Petworth.
F578BB53-4552-4952-9D02-914A5B1C59E7.jpeg

C62A9A91-A456-4DBB-8778-D3632E11922D.jpeg

The Penny Farthing just on the North end of Petworth.
The return plan was to go south via Fittleworth, Amberley, Arundel, and then to Bognor, and most of this I did, except at Houghton, I decided to cycle UP the hill to Whiteways Lodge, then Slindon, Walberton, Barnham, Felpham, and Bognor Regis, which went really well, despite having Houghton Hill in my legs.
(I had tried to cycle Houghton Hill after a days work in Worthing maybe 20 years ago, and had to walk, so I was stunned to get to the top today, with only 1 stop, for a drink and some photos.)
3E37EB3C-7969-4E87-B0F4-169719537274.jpeg

ABE3614B-B669-4EE5-B526-78D73E81F21A.jpeg

At Bognor Regis, I was tiring, but managed to complete the 45 miles with a slight twinge only on my left knee.
So overall, a stunning ride!
7D4662E2-F78C-48C8-934A-9B67ECEEEA16.png

Wahoo shows a temperature of 90 degrees 😅😅😅😅😅
And 45 miles is my longest ride since about 2010!

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
What a great ride today! But let’s start from the beginning, it may just make some sense that way. On Monday a ride was talked about, today a warm morning with some breeze, I made my way to a meeting point I have not used before, the bridleway from the A61 to Eccup. Leaned my bike, the Spa again today, against a convenient bit of jungle and waited for the rest to turn up. And the next arrival made me look at the time again. This rider is not known for punctuality, being polite I am, and here she is, five whole minutes early! Consternation crossed my eyes, if you look at the pic closely.

Bike being eaten.jpg

Parked Spa, above.
Strabismus, below.

Strabismus.jpg

Off we pedalled. Across the dam wall at the reservoir, and onward to the village. A right turn takes us past the New Inn and then down the hill to Weardley and the A659. Then back to the A61 for a while, this being the only way to reach Swindon Lane and Kirkby Overblow. After that, we were told by the ride leader, the road goes up and up and even more up all the way to Follifoot. It did. Then things became easier, down to and through Calcutt. The Spa was made a mile or two away, I should be happy it let me ride on to Knaresborough. And a cafe stop.

The river count is up to three by now, for me. The Aire, in Leeds, the Wharfe at Harewood and the Nidd, over and back again, in Knaresborough. We took the B6164 next, first place of note is Little Ribston, and the sun is showing at times now. North Deighton takes a long length of road and then Kirk Deighton is ridden through on the way to Wetherby. And a right turn to Linton. Then I realised what was soon to be.

Yup, into Collingham and out again up Jewitt Lane. Which has recently been surface dressed, I think it is called. A steep enough hill made steeper with a loose gravel covering. All three of us made it, I had a couple of half spins of the back wheel before reaching Compton Lane, no one else mentioned anything. And this is another of the wonderful roads around. The day was clear and bright, and in the gaps of the roadside hedges the views paid for the hill climbing, many times over.

Through East Rigton, then all the way to Scarcroft, where we turned left onto the A58. Up the hill to Ling Lane and an easy ride to Slaid Hill where we went our separate ways. Me for the downhill back towards the town centre. And the thought of a pint. So I did that, it rounded off the ride very nicely for me, and helped the grin too. Fifty miles and 2500 vertical feet makes me a happy rider.

A pint, a map and the gradients . . .

SRT01.jpeg

15072021.jpg

1507elev.jpg

Top Bottom