Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
A beautiful sunny morning, so I thought I’d get a ride in before it got stiflingly hot. Was already pretty hot at 9am when I set out though. A much gentler breeze than recent days as well.

I followed the cycle paths up to Harlescott and of the way a couple of things were noticed, a huge electric message sign has been plonked in the middle of the shared path on Bage Way and a beautiful meadow of flowers has been left to grown on the verge, along Telford Way, with a beautiful set of vibrant colours.

I went through Sundorne and along the old canal path to Uffington, then along roads to Upton Magna, climbed up East Haughmond, before the nice descent and climb back up via Ebury Hill, then another descent to Bings Heath.

I saw more cyclists than cars, along the lanes to Poynton, Roden and Rodington Heath, which was nice, then went on to Rodington, where loon in a Morrison’s delivery van was encountered going ridiculously fast. The lane to Longden on Tern was quiet, for a change, apart from a couple walking a Rottweiler dog, that looked like it wanted to kill me as I passed it!

View to the Wrekin from a gateway

I had the breeze behind me from there, through Isombridge, then Withington and Upton Magna again, along Pelham Road and out onto the busy rat run to Atcham. I decided to cross the old bridge, but had to dismount and lift the bike onto the track, as 3 cars had rudely parked so close together that you couldn’t cycle up where the dropped kerb was. Fine for me carrying a light bike, but what is someone in a wheelchair supposed to do? :wacko: There were already a few enjoying a dip in the river and it would be likely to get very busy there later on.

The road to Cross Houses was fairly quiet and I then paused at the roundabout for a herd of approx 40 Harley Davidsons to come through and then pull up by the filling station, with that great cocophony of noise they make.

I was starting to melt in what was approaching the midday sun now and was covered in insects that had been attracted to my copious amount of suncream that had been smeared on for the ride, so the final lanes to Berrington, King St, Betton Abbots and home, was taken fairly gently.

33.28 miles at 12.9mph avg. Too hot to push any speed today, but still a few Strava segment PB’s and so not too bad.

Mike_P

Guru
Out the door before 7 and home before 11 ^_^
Wish I could do that, always a slow starter to a day so instead spent time plotting the next batch of twenty odd rides following on from the twenty odd already plotted.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Forced a ride yesterday evening, just 12 or13miles on the ebike, too busy at work, hips and legs ache even after just an 8 hour shift but hey ho, first ride in about a month :blush:
Enjoyed it as always, lots of blackbirds, a yellowhammer, a pair of buzzard low overhead looking like they were headed to some trees, maybe to roost for the night, quiet out there, lovely.

13 rider

Guru
So today's is the hottest day of the year :sun:so why not ride 100 miles ? .I had a route planned to grab some tricky Velo viewer tiles in the bottom right of my max square . Out the door at 5.45 couldn't go earlier as I would have made the cafe before it was open . Anstey ,Cossington ,Syston ,Stoughton as I circle round Leicester . Came across a closed road near Carton Curlieu which needed a bit of a reroute soon back on track out to the Welland valley crossing into Northamptonshire through Ashley and the first tricky tile was grabbed by riding 300 yds up a footpath . Onto Stoke Albany up the main road to another footpath to get the next tile which was a bit longer ride of 600 yds ,back to Stoke Albany then Desborough ,Kelmarsh and another ride up and back up the A508 to grab 2 tiles then on to Clipston for the trickiest tile I was hoping a farm driveway would be the solution but a locked gate before the tile put a stop to that ,so I cycled along the quiet road which is almost in the tile but not quite found a open gateway and I'm in ride 20yds into the field and job done :ph34r:. It's begining to warm up properly so let's get to the cafe . Through the village of Naseby which has very rolling roads ,Made the cafe Mini Meadows Farm in Welford which is a petting farm but has a cafe .Sausage sandwich ,coffee an a ice cold coke were consumed and thankfully water bottles fully topped up . Called in to see my mate Pat

38 miles to home back on the familiar rolling roads of South Leicestershire ,South Kilworth ,Kimcote ,Gilmorton ,Stoney Stanton ,Thurlaston and home ,105 miles with 4900ft of upness in just under 7 hrs was pretty baked by the time I got home .Got all my tiles and increased my max square from 37*37 to 39*39 so missing accomplished

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Today I combined my club ride with my latest attempt for the Metric Century-a-Month Challenge. A little foolishly as it turned out. A great club ride ..... hot, but no hills .... with a new find of a coffee stop, the Kemerton Coffee House in Worcestershire. We posed for a group photo in our new £18 cheapskate club jerseys. Quite a sartorial improvement from the rag-tag bunch we looked earlier in the year:

On the way back, via Bredon, Tewkesbury and Ashleworth, we were treated to the magnificent site of a huge red kite diving for a kill just to our right. At Hartpury, I said my goodbyes and went my own way, putting in the necessary extra miles while out on that side of the Severn. It almost immediately started to get hotter ... probably 30 degrees and reflecting back from the road surface ... and my drinks were running low. In addition to plenty of drinks, I carried a small bottle of water for tipping over my head. That, and a few minutes sheltering in the shade of a tree and rationing out my remaining drink got me a few miles down the road, where I felt like passing out. I just about made it to the filling station at Highleadon, probably looking like Beau Geste crawling in from the Sahara. A few minutes in the shade, along with a cold drink and an ice lolly had the desired effect, and got me to my next stop in the shade by the canal side in Over where I watched the local model boat club in action. By the time I got close to my house, I still had 6 miles to go, so I rode on 3 miles down the road before turning for home, stopping again to finish my drink on the canal side. Home and hosed now. There may have been no hills, but with 30 degree heat for the last 22 miles, I think that was just about the toughest metric ton I've ever done.
101.4km (63 miles). Nackered.

AndreaJ

Veteran
My plan was to get out earlier this morning before it got too hot, that failed because I didn’t actually get up much earlier than usual! Took an extra bottle of water and set off to Loppington, Nonely and Myddle. Turned up the hill and down Lower Road which was cooler under the trees, back into the sun to Merrington, Old Woods, Eyton and into Baschurch . Took the turning to Stanwardine, Bagley, Lee, into Ellesmere which was surprisingly quite, up Swan Hill into the shade under the trees by the Mere, into Welshampton, turning by the church to Lyneal, Northwood and back home. Very hot again with barely any wind, Garmin thinks it was 27 when I got home and lots of farmers busy making hay which always smells lovely drying in the sun. Not many people out and very little traffic. 32.7 miles.
4C95239F-655F-44E8-9D52-CC265179B551.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Puncture too large for the sealant so put a plug in, few miles further down the road the puncture had opened up to a gash. Tyre is scrap so didn't bother putting a tube in. Sister taxi home
my last help to get home involved phoning mrs ck at 1 am as i had similar on my return from late shift at work, not impressed is the sentence that comes to mind

C R

Guru
The forecast for today was hot, and then hotter, so good thing that I am used to riding early, but still, it was supposed to be 18C at 6:00 and 24C by 10:00! In preparation for the temperatures I added a second bottle cage to my road bike, so that I could carry two water bottles. Route wise I couldn't make up my mind, so decided on the Upton, Tewkesbury, Bredon Hill loop, which I can do in about three hours, so I could be finished before the thermometer reached silly numbers.

Out at five past six, through Kempsey and down the A38 towards Upton. Remarkably little traffic, I don't think I saw more than five cars before I turned for Upton. Nothing much to remark on the way through Longdon and on to Mythe Bridge, other than there were a few more cyclists than usual for the time of the day, possibly trying to avoid the warmer hours.

Stopped for a breather at the bridge, and I took a couple of photos
20210718_071001.jpg

20210718_071025.jpg

From there onwards to Tewkesbury and then up the southern flank of Bredon Hill, following @Donger's route in reverse, including going past the cafe at Kemerton, which hadn't opened yet.

Swift descent to Beckford, and then up and down the hill through Ashton, Kersoe and Elmley Castle, followed by a swift descent to Pershore, where I made another stop.
20210718_082213.jpg

20210718_082238.jpg

The last stretch to home has the climb out of Pershore, which is always a chore at this point of the ride, but it is followed by a swift descent down Rebecca Road.

Got home tired, but happy at five past nine.
The map
Screenshot_20210719-000149_Connect.jpg

cwskas

Über Member
Saturday I had the pleasure of riding with my brother in a very well administered ride in Paris, Texas. Very fine support of all the community of about 25,000. They had over 2,000 cyclists registered for the event this year. My favorites were the families I saw with youngster riding.

The route starts by heading to the main square and around the courthouse, then out into the countryside. The city streets and square were lined with families waving and cheering all of the cyclists as we passed.

I had a flat on my rear tire within 1 mile of the start, but was able to get back to the van. After pumping the tire up I had no more leaks and we were able to get on the road about 30 minutes late. I was a bit flustered and didn't remember to take pictures until later in our ride.

Willie

Top Bottom