Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member
had to re-configure the auto downshift on my supercharger as it was not doing its job lol . so today was just a short ride to check all is well and things are running smooth. so i popped out and headed to one of my fav coffee stops which is just 5 miles away.
after my cake +coffee i saw it was almost time for lunch break so thought i would call in and see some of my old work mates. so pleased i was not in there today far to hot.. lol... left there then over town to get some cash then decided to return using part of the Aycliffe walk to avoid traffic. not far but really enjoyed the 25 miles or so. 😁😁
Morning Ride | Ride | Strava

the scenic route

honest there is a track in here some where..:ohmy::ohmy:

mmmm .... mango and white choc

the main east coast railway

Aycliffe walk

art work on the walk

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Yesterday’s ride…celebrated the first day of the summer holidays with 48 of my favorite miles, with my lovely husband! It’s a route I’ve done a few times with a lovely cafe half way round (Honesty Inkpen) but the gorgeous sunshine and sense of freedom made it really special yesterday!!
12B3A697-6C56-414A-A969-0E1E0BA7F4EC.jpeg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had intended to get out early (for me that is) this morning but a lack of sleep in the heat over the last few nights had caught up with me. There was thunder last night which resulted in the morning being a little cooler and a bit misty so my later start than intended didn't matter quite so much.

I got the Raleigh out and was aiming to do the reverse of the ride I'd done on Monday, however that plan started to go wrong after less than 3 miles when I found the main road through Condover is closed from the school all the way to Dorrington. This is obviously scheduled work but there has been no notice to say it was going to happen which has caught a few people out. While I was there a farmer was wanting to know how he was supposed to get his pickup + trailer and two large combine harvesters through - a fair point I thought as the diversion options available to him are a lane that is too narrow for the harvesters or going about 7 or 8 miles out of his way.

After what happened earlier in the week I opted to walk the bike through rather than ride, even through the junction guard said it was okay "as long as you mind out for the workers". I wasn't going to walk the whole way to Ryton though so turned off for Lyons Lane (found the two combines here) and decided to wing it a bit.

I haven't been through Boreton for a while so headed that way, enjoying a completely empty lane, then followed the road to Cantlop (met the two harvesters again as they went the long way round), Pitchford and Acton Burnell which was all reasonably quiet. I rejoined my planned route at Acton Burnell and went through Cound Moor to Cressage. The traffic lights at Cressage Bridge have gone away again - I wonder when they'll randomly appear next.:laugh:

Having had to change the route already I thought I do so again and go through Wroxeter which is a bit more scenic. There was a bit of traffic about on the main road but then just the one car and a cyclist encountered after I took to the lanes. There were a few groups visiting the Viroconium site.

Crossing the old A5 at Norton there were more signs warning of a road closure but I already knew that it came after my turn off at Walcot. The closure did mean that there was very little traffic on what is usually a fairly busy road. I took the longer way into Withington and, from the forecast, thought I'd pick up a good tailwind but a flag flying at one of the houses showed the wind wasn't coming from where I'd expected at all.:dry:

The cafe at The Haughmond didn't seem to have takers as I passed - probably caught them at a lull as there were a reasonable number of cyclists out and about this time. I carried on to Atcham, Cross Houses, Berrington and along Lyons Lane again but turned off towards Allfield so as not to go through the closure again.

Again I expected a tailwind back to the main road but really am not sure whether it helped me or not. I certainly wasn't any quicker than I'd usually be.

34.6 miles this time at 14 mph average. I enjoyed that - it was more of a laid back kind of ride than the one I'd had in mind when I set out.^_^

Avoiding the slippy and rough ford at Boreton by taking the footbridge.

By the solar farm at Boreton.

At Cressage Bridge and it's brightened up nicely.

The view to the hills is still restricted by the haze at Dryton.

The bridleway from Eyton on Severn to Donnington. I'm not going that way but probably ought to give it another go sometime.

Field of poppies on the way to Wroxeter.

The ruins of the Roman city of Viroconium (Wroxeter).

The gates of Attingham Park.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Over in Yorkshire for a week’s holiday, yes remember them! Had to split locations because of lack of accommodation so half the week near Bedale and half over in Pickering. Family negotiations resulted in me getting a ride in both areas. Had a lovely flattish 50 miles around Fountains Abbey and Boroughbridge in the 26 degrees of Sunday. Had planned on Coverdale but was far too hot.

Today was warm but more cloudy so had a great ride over the north York moors. Some 1400m of climbing over 45 miles is reasonable but it felt like most of the metres climbed was scaling 20% gradients. NYM is a big upland plateau at about 400masl with very steeply dissected valleys where the water has eroded the sandstone. Had a nice lunch at the Yorkshire Bike Hub in Great Fryupdale. A nice centre for hiring bikes with a shop and excellent cafe in the middle of nowhere!

Here are a few pictures. The heather was just coming out, it’s more of an august bloom, but cotton grass was in flower. I loved the standing stones, mainly waymarkers. My map showed lots of tumuli and earthworks as well. Crossed a couple of fords which were running low, and saw some nice packhorse bridges.

Last edited:
My commute home today (circa 16:30)
It's the daylight route, when it's not too muddy
That said, I don't mind the mud, it's when it's greasy - as it would be now, if it rained for a couple of hours

I'm approximately where the 'm' of 'Dismantled Railway' is, on the OS map, below the photograph; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2416190

Road-Trip. 80.jpg

EDIT @ 21:34
It's the trackbed of a long-gone railway that ran from St Johns Colliery to 'Stanley Ferry' (where the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal, crosses the Rover Calder via a 'Bowstring Aquaduct')
I'm away in the distance along the line;

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thanoz/8667017501

And futher along, in greasy conditions; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today.173254/page-1883#post-6349045

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Cooler it was, and even damp. But one of us identified it as that ‘drizzle that doesn’t make you wet.’ So that was OK then. Off we went on the way to East Keswick, to meet someone else who wanted a ride today. He was waiting, tagged on, up White Gate we pedalled. Quite steep and effectively single lane. Maybe we should be grateful the locals only park on one side of the street. Rant over, we reached the top and did the descent to the A659.

And rode to Collingham to meet another rider, who was also ready to go. Across the River Wharfe and into Linton village, straight on through to Wetherby. Turn right, after a bit there is a sign pointing left to the Old Station Car Park, which is also a bridleway methinks. Anyway, along that we went and after a bit of dodging round the houses we turned left onto Deighton Road. But did not stay on it for long. Take the right fork and just before the roundabout, a yard or two, is the start of what was once the A168 but is now a rather pleasant bike track. Albeit slightly overgrown and narrow.

We had to cross a slip road to the A1M, under the flyover was sat the third late starter to join the ride. Full now, we travelled north a bit longer, crossed the River Nidd and out past Walshford I took a wrong turn. Soon put right. There is a right turn, the lane goes to the level crossing at Whixley, and so did we. And through the northern bit of the village too. A few more turns and we are heading to the farm shop and cafe, the high point of the ride.

Away from there, around a more southern part of Whixley, there is a bridge over the railway line here. Straight on, cross the A59 and wait for the level crossing at Cattal to open its gates. The level crossing is quite a distance from the village, and we rode through that as well. Crossing the Nidd again on the way. Easy riding, pass the eastern side of Bickerton on the way to Thorp Arch, the trading estate bit. From there the bike track takes us back across the Wharfe before reaching Newton Kyme. A bit more A659, turn left to ride up through Clifford, and from there to Bramham.

Looks like the Leeds Festival is happening this year, the road signs are up. Out in the direction of Thorner, but turn right after a while. This is eventually Holme Farm Lane, leading to Milner Lane and the pretty way to Scarcroft. Ling Lane to Tarn Lane and then the last upwards bit to return to the start of the ride. Good company, now going our separate ways.

Eight or nine miles left for me, downhill, makes it easy. And it was good to reach home. A weary grin, but proper, after fifty two miles of very good riding and 2054 feet of that uphill stuff. Didn’t we do well!

How to ache legs

23072021.jpg

2307elev.jpg

Oh thanks Richard, great to find out more about the area. Cycle.travel has been well used and did a great job as usual!
https://www.northyorkmoors.org.uk/v...d-egton-bridge/Glaisdale-and-Egton-Bridge.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaisdale

Two of my own, from October 2015

gavgav

Guru
My first ride of the week, after baulking at going out in the intense heat, which dissipated overnight and left a mostly cloudy, very breezy early evening to get out in.

I was heading to dads and took the usual route through Hook a Gate and Annscroft. It was rush hour and there was lots of traffic about, particularly on the road to Stapleton, much of it badly behaved and going either too fast for the narrow lanes, or in the case of one pillock in a Passat, approaching a sharp bend entirely on my side of the road, causing him to swerve quickly and avoid wiping me out. Also had a boy racer in some souped up roller skate, reverse out of a driveway in Stapleton, directly into my path, despite seeing me. :angry:. I was glad to get to Dads in one piece and have a chat.

The gusty wind stiffened even more, whilst sat outside at dads and it would be a headwind for a good proportion of the ride home, through Gonsal and Condover, where the road that @Rickshaw Phil mentions in his report above, had now re-opened and some evidence of the start of much needed patching. Paint all over the road suggests more closures in the coming days. To be honest the whole road needs completely resurfacing, but they won’t bother and will just temporarily fill the holes yet again and leave the rest of the awful road surface, which is borderline unrideable now in places.

I finally had the wind behind me on the last mile and flew along there, to help the average speed back up to 12.9 mph across 14.7 miles.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Over in Yorkshire for a week’s holiday, yes remember them! Had to split locations because of lack of accommodation so half the week near Bedale and half over in Pickering. Family negotiations resulted in me getting a ride in both areas. Had a lovely flattish 50 miles around Fountains Abbey and Boroughbridge in the 26 degrees of Sunday. Had planned on Coverdale but was far too hot.

Today was warm but more cloudy so had a great ride over the north York moors. Some 1400m of climbing over 45 miles is reasonable but it felt like most of the metres climbed was scaling 20% gradients. NYM is a big upland plateau at about 400masl with very steeply dissected valleys where the water has eroded the sandstone. Had a nice lunch at the Yorkshire Bike Hub in Great Fryupdale. A nice centre for hiring bikes with a shop and excellent cafe in the middle of nowhere!

Here are a few pictures. The heather was just coming out, it’s more of an august bloom, but cotton grass was in flower. I loved the standing stones, mainly waymarkers. My map showed lots of tumuli and earthworks as well. Crossed a couple of fords which were running low, and saw some nice packhorse bridges.

View attachment 600597

View attachment 600598

View attachment 600599

View attachment 600600
That's a mighty fine bridge!

Mike_P

Guru
Friday booked off work given it was predicted to be cooler; and no surprise to find it lightly raining. It stopped late morning and at midday north pass Ripley and up Scarah Bank. Further on joined the route of the eastbound NCN688 pass How Hill and down to the 6th letter ABC of Fountains where any signs are focussed on the Abbey; the associated visitor centre being on the hilltop to the north.

Fast downhill through Studley Royal (hiding) deer park slowing for the cattle grids at the exit.

Snack break in Studley Roger before turning off the NCN route to head via Galphay and Kirkby Malzeard to West Tanfield, north east of where Thornborough was found.

Just visible in the photo is a 1980s phone box retained with a dual use for a defibrillator and library. Away along the narrow Back Lane which Komoot incorrectly has a no through route and south east to Wath for a further snack break. Then pass Norton Conyers Hall and then a rapid stop. As a collection of around a dozen house and a farm I was not expecting a signboard at Nunwick. Thats altered the next ABC ride somewhat.

Pass Hutton Conyers and fast downhill on the A61 to the roundabout at the start of the Ripon bypass. Turned off across the River Ure on North Bridge. The ride was one of shade and sun, and later had won with the heat slightly oppressive reflecting off the road and brick buildings in Ripon. Slow pass the Cathedral, a lost tourist in a car its seemed. Opted to rejoin the eastbound NCN688 with its crossing of the bypass with mid reservation.

Paused at Littlethorpe to try to resolve a slipping hood cover and again at Bishop Monkton as part of a snack break.
Getting overtaken followed as a featherweight Campagnola shut pass and then I spied an annoying warning of surface dressing which will scupper this route and that through Staveley for a while from the end of the month.
Up the hill from Knaresborough again on the cycle path alongside the A59 and then Bilton Hall Drive to reach Bilton Lane. Back on the A59 in north Harrogate it was slow downhill; brakes on and one foot dangling ready to hit the road surface. 48.89 miles 2690ft climbed 13.4mph avg

ianbarton

Veteran
Friday's ride around Lake Vyrnwy. We have done this ride several times with all the children who were much younger. This time it there was myself, my wife and my youngest daughter. It's quite a long drive to get there, but well worth the effort. The temperature was around 30C, but a lot of the ride is sheltered by the trees. The ride is quite short (around 18km) and almost flat. There is mostly single track road around the lake and we decided to start at the car park at the far end. There used to be a big wooden sculpture next to the car park, but this has been dismantled.

After a quick lunch, we set off going anti clockwise.It's about 10km to the end of the lake where there is a cafe, which also hires bikes. We stopped for a drink and a snack before crossing the bridge over the dam. In autumn and winter after heavy rainfall, there is often a huge waterfall caused by the water overflowing the dam. However, the reservoir was not anything like full.

Once over the bridge we were soon back in the shade under the trees. We stopped off to look at the highest tree in Britain (a Douglas fir). The previous record holder had been felled a few years ago for safety reasons. Luckily the tree next to it, although slightly lower was still higher than anything else in Britain. Passing the bird hide we were soon back at the car park. Loading the bikes we drove back over the pass to Bala.

If you want a climbing challenge park in Bala. There are two passes through the mountains to Lake Vyrnwy. They are unremittingly steep and you need to be careful of numerous cattle grids when descending. Lake Vyrnwy is roughly 300ft higher than Bala, so you can console yourself that pain on the return leg won't last quite as long.

vlcsnap-2021-07-24-13h43m04s138.png

vlcsnap-2021-07-24-13h44m47s654.png

vlcsnap-2021-07-24-13h48m29s178.png

vlcsnap-2021-07-24-13h48m43s182.png

vlcsnap-2021-07-24-13h50m18s795.png

vlcsnap-2021-07-24-13h51m08s702.png

vlcsnap-2021-07-24-13h51m58s115.png

22_07_21 - A bik.png

Top Bottom