Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Saturday 1045 and north to Ripon passing yet more annoying signs warning of surface dressing. The Defy equipped with a rear facing sportscam and an Aldi below top bar bag to replace the saddle bag. Repeated the ride a week last Sunday as far as Topcliffe, bar a couple of minor variations. En-route stopped at Rainton to digest the cheese sandwiches and apple I had taken with me but also for attention to the bike. Yesterdays slipping hood cover was not only continuing but the whole hood assembly had dropped – got it better positioned but it seemed that the strap on the handlebar had become loose so more involved attention will be needed.
Beyond Topcliffe the road to Dalton had been closed recently and it turned out that some proper resurfacing taken place. Through Hutton Sessay and across the A19 to Carlton Husthwaite the terrain changed to one featuring a number of steep lumps which were in the wrong direction for the wind. Some zig zagging was needed on Thirsk Bank on the approach to Coxwold and a further lump on the route of NCN656 was clambered over thereafter to reach the 6th letter ABC of Byland Abbey; a quick substitute due to yesterdays Nunwick effect and the subsequent scrapping of the planned “C” “D” ride (Barwick in Elmet and Cawood being the casualties).

West largely upgrade on a narrow single track road the route of the NCN brought me what had been the rides original first planned destination of Oldstead where the Black Swan was pretty untypical of its like.

Returned to Byland Abbey

and continued east; on the approach to Jerry Carr Bank I was hoping for a speed higher than I was achieving in the headwind; I managed 6mph avg up it even though Shanks Pony was reverted to for part of it. Beyond the top of the bank came the signboard for Ampleforth. The village was actually at the foot of a descent and set either side of a further climb; the White Swan was more typical of its like.

Southwards the village descended down Station Road; the railways is long gone – I mused over how that must have avoided the lumps the roads seemed attracted to. More ups and downs but mainly ups followed and then the Wahoo instructed a right turn onto a single track road that appeared to run along valley side rather than across it. It had lesser ups and downs and not that far along was a gate; I checked the OS map on the phone – it was shown as being a road so through the gate and another a short distance later another. On a climb a hare took fright at my approach; I wished I had its speed up the climb. It was a slight shock to turn onto a road with centre white lines, the route of NCN65, which brought me back to Coxwold where I turned left so completing use of all the radiating roads.

Through Husthwaite and a staggered crossing of the A19 brought me onto a single track with passing places that I recognised and the well pedalled route through Brafferton, Thornton Bridge and Boroughbridge to Minskip followed.
Decided to stay on the A6055 to Ferrensby for a snack break by the duck pond where I was annoyed both by more surface dressing signs and by finding the SD card with the front video of the ride to Byland Abbey had disappeared. Also bemused by the ducks suddenly exiting the pond, disappearing worryingly along the road towards the A6055 and then returning.
Joined yesterdays route through Knaresborough, differed by staying on the A59 carriageway for the climb away and using the Starbeck branch of NCN67. 66.68 miles / 107.31km 3005ft climbed 14.3mph avg

13 rider

Guru

geocycle

Legendary Member
Back home after a week in Yorkshire. Decided to stay west and enjoy Bowland. Went a hilly route through Abbeystead and the Trough. Ignored the turn to Dunsop bridge and headed up the hill to the the wild boar park then Chipping for lunch. Options seem to have reduced to just the country store now but got a nice barm cake as they are termed in these parts. Coincided with a very large group from Southport, it felt like Merseyside meets Majorca what with the heat, number of bikes racked up and the dialect of the chatter. Overall 44 miles and 1100m of climbing.

Pictures show a view to the coast from Harris end fell and the bike posing in front of the Bowland mountain rescue HQ.

gavgav

Guru
A pleasant morning, mild and less windy than recent days, so I took the rare opportunity for a Sunday ride in the Summer. I’m usually playing cricket, but not today, as I’m off to a concert tonight, 15 months after it should have taken place.

I decided to head towards Wales, as I’ve not done that route for a while. I meandered my way out of Shrewsbury, to Bicton and Montford Bridge, before turning onto the NCN route to Shrawardine and the Nesscliffe Army camp. The lanes are still as badly riddled with potholes, since I last rode it.

I then turned left and onto Pentre, where the Royal Hill pub was just opening its doors for Sunday lunch, then Melverley, where I detoured down to the church and paused for a snack.

I crossed the bridge and my short section in Wales, through Crew Green and out onto the main road to Coedway and Princes Oak. The climb up from there is long and fairly steep, but for a change I had the wind behind me, it’s normally a headwind there and that helped, with me being on the Carbon and less climbing gears.

I crossed the A458 at Halfway House, without having to wait at all, it won’t be like that when the hordes head back from the coast, later on today and it was fairly quiet down to Westbury as well. I turned onto the road to Yockleton and the wind was mainly helping me along there, which meant nice cruising speed was reached.

I then turned off to Polemere, pulling in to take this photo.

The fraught crossing of the busy road at Lea Cross wasn’t too bad and I then climbed up Shorthill and encountered the one idiot of the ride. Just past Arscott golf club, on a narrow lane, tractor pulling flatbed trailer coming towards me, so I squeezed into the side. He comes barrelling along, doesn’t slow down at all and thunders past, dust and debris flying all over me and not even a thank you. He got some choice words and gestures from me, utter prat. The rest of the driving had been exemplary today, as well.

At Annscroft I turned into the wind, but it was fairly light, to Hook a Gate and Shrewsbury, where the sun was beginning to come out, hadn’t really seen it until now on the ride.

34.01 miles at 12.8mph avg. Enjoyed that.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride: Having already done a 100 mile week for the first time in a while I hadn't expected to get out on Saturday but the weather turned out to be dry and the legs felt good so it would have been a shame not to.

I used the knockabout bike for convenience and thought I'd head over to Pontesbury then take the hilly lanes to Habberley, Pulverbatch and Wilderley and see how it went from there. I headed over Lyth Hill to start with and found the track across the top a little wet and muddy in places. The only event of note on the way to Pontesbury was catching and overtaking a couple of other cyclists. In Pontesbury there was a bit of a tight squeeze when meeting a car coming the other way with parked cars either side - someone sat outside the pub called out "He nearly got you that time".:laugh:

At Habberley I pointed a driver in the direction of the pub after he'd turned off the wrong way. The proper climbing starts after the village and I probably should have dropped down to low range rather than stubbornly sticking in the middle ring.

Through Pulverbatch and on towards Wilderley I was enjoying the nice quiet lanes - traffic is mostly local and it's not very often I see other cyclists up here. At the junction for Pease Lane I decided to have a bit of a detour and climb up to Picklescott. I've ridden this lane a handful of times before but only ever in the other direction, which is an entertaining descent. Knowing that, I did go for low range and it was needed as climbing it is a bit of a pull.

Having reached Picklescott I used a ane I haven't ben down before en route to Smethcott. This proved to be quite narrow with lots of overhanging growth and lots of loose gravel which made the bike a bit skittish in places. I rejoined my usual route at Smethcott and dropped down through Walkmills to Leebotwood. I decided not to carry on to Dudgeley this time and crossed the A49 instead to join the old Roman roadback towards Longnor meeting a few groups of cyclists on the way.

Reaching Ryton I wasn't sure if the road to Condover would be open. The council contractors don't appear to be working through the weekend so it was.^_^ The patches they have put down so far seem fairly decent. I just hope the work also includes surface dressing the bits that are in desperate need at the end of it.

I thought I'd avoid the worst of the traffic and head over Lyth Hill via Little Lyth to finish off.

27.5 miles at 12 mph average. I'm quite pleased with that and for some reason this ride left me feeling particularly buoyed up.

The view from the top of Lyth Hill. It was a bit overcast but pleasantly warm after a cool start.

Nills Farm between Pontesbury and Habberley.

At Habberley.

The view to Earl's Hill on my way to Pulverbatch.

Lawn Farm

View from the climb up Pease Lane.

The Bottle and Glass at Picklescott.

Another view of Picklescott

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
A fair morning, some breeze. And there is a ride today, closest meeting point to me ever. City Square might be all of two miles away, how good is that?

So off goes me on the Spa to town centre (ish). There are places to hide around here, it took me half a minute to find the others. A bit of a natter then off to the towpath we go. As far as Kirkstall, where Leeds and Bradford road goes uphill and so did we. Bramley, Stanningley and Thornbury follow, one after the other. After Thornbury I have to rely on the map. We turned more or less south to Laisterdyke, then around Holme Wood to Tong Street. A few more zigs and zags, through Hunsworth to Cleckheaton and our first cafe stop.

Leave the cafe, go past what was once Pete Middleton’s mo’bike shop and turn right and right again onto the Spen Valley Greenway. Not been around here for years, so this is a new one for me, and very good it is too. Past Liversedge and Heckmondwike on the way to Dewsbury. Around there it changes to the Calder way, or similar, cannot find it on a map, but where the Spen flows into the Calder.

Anyway, past Chickenley and into Osset for our next cafe stop. Carr Gate and Robin Hood are the next two, one each side of the M62. Oh, and we also passed over and/or under the M1 going in and out of Robin Hood. Tending north now, already close to Leeds and its suburbs. An interesting ride around and through Hunslet to find the Armouries from a different direction, at Crown Point we went our many ways.

There is some surprising climbing to do ‘twixt Laisterdyke and Cleckheaton, I suppose because I have never ridden around there much in the past. For the ride, 2247 feet of climbing and forty two miles of distance put a smile in place. Have to do more exploring around there.

Almost a circular route . . .

25072021.jpg

and the ups and downs,

2507elev.jpg

AndreaJ

Veteran
A much cooler day for a ride than last week. Set off to Northwood through Welshampton and to Ellesmere via Stocks Lane, turned off to Tetchill and along to Hordley on a stretch of lane which has its own natural speed bumps then turned towards Bagley and Weston Lullingfields . Took the turning off to Marton and back to Burlton, English Frankton, Pikes End and into Lyneal. Headed towards home to Loppington getting passed by a van on the bad corners just so he could tailgate the horse box in front of me for a couple of hundred meters before he turned off, the van was for a company running cycling and walking holidays! I hope they take better care of their customers. I carried onto the Ellesmere road to Horton and noticed it would not quite be 50km if I took the first lane home so carried on and turned up Ossage Lane and back home down the next lane. 33.16 miles. Lots of cyclists out again and a few runners.
A4E5D237-9C03-447A-B3C6-70C7A01FFF5F.jpeg

E760C129-BCAD-4496-BD5A-04EEDD90A6E8.jpeg

8CB8FAC4-63E1-41D9-8E94-888C5EEE1E75.jpeg

Mike_P

Guru
Sunday and just before 1 eastbound on largely the reverse of the end of Saturdays ride as far as Ferrenby; one change was up Humps and a Hill for the first time for a few weeks in a new PR and other the use of the Billton Lane bridleway, where I came across two walkers seeking to help a cyclist on the floor and another cyclist observing from the far side of the anti-motor bike barrier. Seemed that she had misjudged the barrier and was shaken rather than injured:sad:

For a hot sunny Sunday afternoon, complete contrary to the weather forecast, Knaresborough was quite with no standing traffic. From Ferrensby continued east via Arkendale to Great Ouseburn where I paused for a snack and repositioned the Aldi below top bar bag to the seat post end as I was occasionally catching my left knee on it. The Defy was also equipped with a Garmin Varia radar rear light in place of the rear facing sportcam it had yesterday; what a brilliant piece of kit, obviously not a substitute for looking behind but picks up approaching cars before they are heard and shows on the Wahoo just how many so overcoming that issue of not realising there is another car going to pass due to the noise of the first one.

Joining the route of NCN686 Way of the Roses there was a queue of traffic trying to cross Aldwark Toll Bridge and then through Linton and Newton on Ouses, between which the route becomes NCN65, to reach the 6th letter ABC of Beningborough Hall

The single track access from Newton on Ouse was quite but once beyond the Hall became far busier. Seems to be some disagreement between NCNs as NCN65 avoids the hall grounds but the Way of the Roses seems to pass through it. Both merge beyond the hall grounds onto a single track road with passing places off which an equally narrow lane leads to the few dwellings that comprise the village of Beninborough.

Left the NCN to follow the A19 through Skelton; the Wahoo merrily squealing as cars approached from the rear with increasing urgency depending on their speed. Switched to the adjacent shared path just before the A1237 junction to make use of subway under the busy York northern ring road emerging just in time to see a convey of old US Jeeps pass on the A19.

Onto the narrow shared path on the bridge over the railway and river Ouse, then through Yorks outer suburbs and out of towards the A1237 to the south east of the city where I turned back towards suburbia to reach Woodthorpe.

Route reversed briefly then across the A1237 on a cycleway crossing, pausing thereafter for a snack, before passing through Askham Bryan and along the narrow Chapel Lane, Askham Richard and Angram to Long Marston where I paused at a bus stop shelter to tend to the sportcam; the Varia increasing its frequency of flashing as cars approached.

Then to Tockwith, where a wire aircraft I originally took to be related to the former airfield to the west of the village but transpired it was a memorial to a crash of a Stirling Bomber in 1945; which was about to land at another nearby airfield when it crashed in the village killing the village postmaster, all six crew members and wrecking 19 houses.

West to Cowthorpe and a shady bench was welcoming for a snack – it had a sign on it Happy Chat Seat! Skys become cloudier through Little Ribston and onto the A658 climb to Birkham Wood, the sun returning briefly approaching the summit. Then down to Calcutt, and up Forest Moor Road to eventually pick up a normal route pass the east side of Harrogate town centre; I was surprised to realise roads that had seemed to have been surface dressed had now been properly resurfaced. 56.4 miles 1860ft climbed 14.3 mph avg. I was concerned given how much extra work the Wahoo had been put to by the Varia as to how much of its battery would be used - from full charge it had fallen by a third.

Last edited:
Top Bottom