Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Very nice, Looks like a 2010 Specialized Secteur Comp (top of the range with carbon rear stays)?
Yes! ... bought it from jayonabike- had it about 8 years - love it.

Up early for a ride, on one of the hardest days of the year for me. Chilly morning, mostly cloudy, but a bit of sun about. Wind has dropped a bit, but it was one of those days where it appeared to be a headwind in every direction 🤷‍♂️!

I set out along the cycle paths, to Heathgates and along Whitchurch Rd, then through Sundorne estate, via a slightly different route to normal. Quite a few police vans out and about, no doubt looking for those who will be visiting where they shouldn’t be today......

Quite a few people out walking along the old canal path, which made it slow going, then got onto the roads at Uffington, climbing up to Upton Magna and then East Haughmond. Climbing the steepest part of the hill, I came up behind a tanker that was cleaning the drains out.xx( He was blocking the road for the cars that had come up behind me, but I could get past and so left them to sort it out between themselves.

I took the nice descending road past Hunkington Farm, for the first time in a while, then turned back towards Upton Magna and properly into the headwind, which made it slow going for the remainder of the trip.

The Pelham Rd was busy with cyclists today, plus a lot of traffic, as people had woken up by now. At Atcham, I stopped on the old bridge, for a snack and the river was just out of its banks again, following the heavy rain this week. Doesn’t take much to bring it back up again, with the water table so high.
View attachment 578510

View attachment 578511

View attachment 578512

Final section of the trip was to Cross Houses, Berrington, King St and Betton Abbots.

19.68 miles at 11.4mph avg
Great pics, Atcham Bridge is Grade II*, very nice :okay:

AndreaJ

Veteran
It wasn’t quite as windy today and the sun was shining which made it feel a bit more like spring. Set off to Northwood with a detour to Bettisfield and Lyneal to head to Welshampton. Turned by the school to Ellesmere now that the lane is open again, still a bit of water by the bridge but nowhere near as bad as it was, up the muddy hill past the farm and into Ellesmere. Took the turning to Lee and carried on through to Baschurch, over the railway crossing to Eyton where I found a flood with a big hole in the middle of it, managed to get off on the verge without getting too wet and carried on to Myddlewood, Marton, Burlton finding the road home was closed. I could see lots of vehicles which I assume were fixing the road so decided to carry on towards Myddle and take the next turning to Nonely and into Loppington from that direction and home via Wolverley. 33.9 miles and a nice day to be out.
Lots of lambs about now, these 3 seemed to like people on bikes.

pjd57

Veteran

My second ride today. On the roads to Kirkintilloch then Milton of Campsie , old railway path and the canal on the way back.
Still had a half hour to spare so threw in a local loop as well to get to 25 miles.
Morning trip was just a straight line trip to the east end via Glasgow city centre, for another 15 miles .
Dull, mild day, no rain or wind , so ideal .

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Shorter but hillier ride yesterday. I took in two stonking hills, the second being Salcombe Hill out of Sidmouth. You can see where I ignored the Road Closed sign, then found I couldn't get past the roadworks, so retraced & took the even steeper & longer diversion. Lots of cloud but no rain ( and just the one photo).

Old jon

Guru
Today was a day to have faith in the forecast. Honest! Still wore the rain jacket though, the clouds were leaking when I pedalled away on the Spa.

By the time the tyres were on Holbeck tarmac the rain had stopped. Water Lane, Great Wilson Street and Crown Point Road and I am north of the river and heading up to Oakwood. Turn left, at Moortown turn right and right again, this is the less hilly way to Slaid Hill. And the start of Wike Ridge Lane. The name of the road changes a time or many before it reaches East Keswick.

Collingham, and across the River Wharfe to Linton and Wetherby. Where next? Much cogitation while eating a banana. Is that multitasking? Further north or east did not appeal, but the ascent of Jewitt Lane somehow did. So back across the Wharfe and ride on the A58 to return to Collingham, a different part of the place though. As intended, turn left onto Jewitt Lane and start going up.

Just about at the top is a crossroads with Compton Lane. Turn right to go to East Rigton. This stretch of road is well worth the ride to reach it. Odd really, difficult to add up why it appeals so much . . . Anyway, all the way to Thorner from here, Milner Lane into the village and Sandhills out. Skeltons Lane is next, complete with a sign confirming its closure from the sixth of April to August.

That will exercise any route planning ability I have. But that is in the future, right now is time to return to the A58, whizz (sort of) down Boot Hill on my way back to Crown Point Bridge and the last stretch home, after thirty three miles and a bit more than 2000 feet ascending. Brilliant day for a good ride, no wonder I had a smile on my mug.

Round and around . . .

16032021.jpg

and up and down too.

1603elev.jpg

Tuesday 16th

Bike selected; CGR, my work-bike
Weather; Warm, with a slight breeze
Photographs from today; unless dated otherwise
Geograph used to illustrate points not covered by my own images (& to give a map location)

Not really a ride report, just a way to feature my ride home from work earlier this afternoon (or a portion of it)

Most of the mud had dried up, with just some patches
However it was very greasy, with no lateral grip

Approximately in the blue circle, River Calder to the right (flowing towards me)
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2416190

It was the route of a colliery railway (St Johns) that brought laden 'Tom Puddings', to a loading point at Stanley Ferry (NewLands Basin; now filled in)

See the B&W photo, with the steam locomotive
They were lowered into the water, then chained together, & towed (maybe) 20 at a time, to Goole

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/her...kshire-tom-puddings-tug-boat-wheldale-1752519

Last edited:
1.66 miles, I just turned around because I'm sick to death of the gale force winds its been over a week now with gusts over 50 mph and frankly I just can't be arsed with it, in that 1.66 miles it blew my glasses off, came home and rode the Cap de Formentor, twice! on the turbo ...its was sunny ^_^
With you on that, rain, freezing cold ok(ish).... strong wind, no thanks. Too many memories of being miles from home battling the teeth of a nasty south westerly and getting quite worried. Its the way that the most benign weather can switch dramatically on the way back that has caught me out.

Top Bottom