Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Went one better than this one. Went out for a ride Tuesday night, after about 20 miles, middle on nowhere, pitch black at about 7.30PM came off hard and managed to land on my left side. Soon realised something was seriously wrong when I tried to get up and my left forearm stayed on the ground. Had to phone a neighbour and an ambulance. Long story short, I've shattered my left elbow and have had to have it reconstructed in a 5 hour operation. Back home now but been advised I'll be out of action for minimum 6 weeks (and it bloody hurts). Haven't even looked at the bike yet :sad:
Ouch, sorry to hear this :sad:
Good wishes to you for a speedy and full recovery.
:hugs:
xxx

AndreaJ

Veteran
Went one better than this one. Went out for a ride Tuesday night, after about 20 miles, middle on nowhere, pitch black at about 7.30PM came off hard and managed to land on my left side. Soon realised something was seriously wrong when I tried to get up and my left forearm stayed on the ground. Had to phone a neighbour and an ambulance. Long story short, I've shattered my left elbow and have had to have it reconstructed in a 5 hour operation. Back home now but been advised I'll be out of action for minimum 6 weeks (and it bloody hurts). Haven't even looked at the bike yet :sad:
Ouch, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Cold and windy as it had been most of the week but it had actually stopped raining. Set off on my nice clean bike to Loppington taking a longer way round to Brown Heath and onto Pikes End then Lyneal managing to keep out of the wind as far as Welshampton. Turned off by the school to see if the flooded lane to Ellesmere is clear yet, the signs have been moved so I assume it’s clear now, turned to Breadon Heath across to Rowe Lane which was very muddy and onto Bettisfield. Turned into the wind to Northwood avoiding the huge potholes which seem to be getting bigger each week, turned by the pub to Whixall, Alkington, Hollinswood, back to Northwood and home just as it started to rain. Didn’t see many other people out today. 27 miles and my bike is muddy again.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
This afternoon's ride was combined leisure and shopping trip - a loop out to Westerfield and back, with a stop off at Lidl in Ipswich to stock up on their cheap coffee offer and a four pack of beer (which I've just started on). Just the usual Levington, Nacton, Ipswich (with a slow bimble around the marina again), Westerfield, Kesgrave & Bucklesham route, lovely & sunny, but the stiff breeze made it feel quite chilly and hard work for the outward half of the ride.
This from near the Fairline boat yard in Ipswich
Ipswich Marina.JPG
1615764282926.png
1615764308725.png

gavgav

Guru
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Wow, that is bad luck. Hope you heal quickly (and that the bike is OK!).

gavgav

Guru
A Monday off work and so I arranged to meet up with @Rickshaw Phil for a ride. It was still a cool and blustery morning, to start, but some sun about which helped make things feel better than yesterday.

We met down by a nearby pub and whilst having a quick chat, heard a “are you lost gentleman” from a cyclist coming past us. No and we weren’t the last time you asked us, on the top of Charlton Hill, about 10 mile away! Slightly bizarre that we have seen the same cyclist twice in recent weeks and he’s said the same thing, but perhaps he greets all cyclists in the same way?!

We set out into the wind and it was quite hard going through Hook-a-gate and Annscroft, where we turned towards Hanwood. At the junction, where we wanted to continue ahead, onto new territory for me, we found road closed signs.....Not wanting to take the other route to Arscott, we decided to continue on and see what we found, which was the right thing to do, as there was no evidence of any roadworks having started, just plenty of signs warning us! Had a slight moment on the steep descent down Pound Lane, where a car was doing a rather dangerous 3 point turn, without looking properly and I had a sixth sense to slow right down, which was the correct decision, with the chap about to pull across in front of us.

We then crossed the main road and onto more new lanes to Cruckton, passing the rather grand looking hall, but it was tough going into the wind and a surprising amount of climbing. The next main road was crossed and we climbed up towards Shoothill, where Phil took me on a loop of the lanes, some of which I hadn’t ridden before and then a new lane for both of us, down towards Yockleton and Nox. That was a nice downhill and we finally had the wind behind us, which made for faster progress to Lea Cross and Arscott, then Exfords Green, Stapleton, Gonsal and Ryton.

From there, we took the lane to Longnor, which does hold plenty of water and mud, but seemed to have recently improved......however we met a cyclist who cheerily wished us an enjoyable swim ahead :laugh:. Sure enough, we rounded the bend and found a long and deep looking flood, where the water had poured off the fields into the road. We had a look at it and Phil decided to have a run up and give it a go. He just about made it through and so I doubled back to do the same, again just about free wheeling through to the other end, without getting too wet!

At Longnor, we paused for a snack lunch and then turned back North, so had to contend with the wind again at times, mainly as a crosswind though, through Frodesley and Acton Burnell. As we turned towards Pitchford, we found our second road closed of the day, for some much needed pothole repairs. This time, with an alternative route available, we didn’t risk carrying on past the closure, instead turning up past Concord College, where there was a nice display of spring flowers outside the main gate.

I decided to take us down the lane to Acton Pigott and Cound, which I’d not ridden for 6 years, according to Strava and it’s a nice fast downhill section, which was good fun. At Cound we were back on familiar lanes to Cound Stanks, where we decided to avoid the always muddy lane to Eaton Mascott and instead head up to the A458, which wasn’t too bad with traffic, after the initial wait for a stream to pass and it’s only a short section, before lanes again, to Berrington and King St.

That wind was a pain, on the final stint to Betton Abbots and back onto the A458, where the one moron of the ride flew past us in a red roller skate, almost clipping a car coming in the opposite direction :wacko:

Good to get out and enjoy the company of Phil, with 33.83 miles and surprisingly 1452ft of climbing, with a slow wind effected 11.3mph avg.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Came around a corner a bit sharp and misjudged it, I think I caught something and it threw me off. Landed on my left but think my elbow took the full force on the road. I could feel the top half of my arm turning but the bottom half was lying limp on the road. xx(
Yikes! :eek::eek::eek:

I hope you heal as quickly and as completely as possible.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
A glorious sunny day in Gloucestershire today. Stuck to my usual route to Frampton and back as I squeezed in a quick 23 miler before heading off to the garden centre with Mrs D. Got quite a few comments and quizzical looks about wearing shorts and short sleeves when everyone else was wrapped up like Nanook of the North. I thought conditions were absolutely perfect for cycling and never felt cold once. It was a bit breezy down by the Severn though:

There have been a few big cat sightings in this area recently, with fresh swan and deer carcasses being discovered totally devoured. With my ridiculously good luck at wildlife spotting recently, I half expected to see a panther today, but of course I didn't. I'd have cycled a damn sight faster if I had.

Here's a shot of downtown Frampton-on-Severn on the way back from Splatt Bridge..... not a regular photo stop:

It definitely feels like spring now ... with lots of lambsies in the fields:

The roads were quiet with traffic today, but pretty raucous with the cacophony from a couple of big rookeries on the way. I also heard the rat-a-tat-tat of a busy little woodpecker on the outskirts of Frampton and a few screeches of startled pheasants at the roadside. Another lovely ride. I hadn't expected to enjoy it as I've been aching like an old man ever since my first covid jab, but pleased to confirm the restorative power of a great bike ride.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:
20210315_161219.jpg

It absolutely pished it down this morning for about 20 minutes. Somehow that managed to be exactly the 20 minutes when I needed to ride to work, but such is life.

Coming back was dryer.

There was snow on the Black Forest, and one of the villages in the distance was getting a soaking; it looked like water pouring was through a hole in the sky.

Thankfully I made it back without a soaking; getting soaked once a day is unpleasant but bearable. Getting soaked twice is miserable...

bagpuss

Guru
Ambled round the Derbyshire country side for a few hours today . After about 10 miles a good rain shower had me putting on waterproof jacket ,only for it to stop as soon as I was zipped up . The sky larks were busy a loft with song a plenty .Lapwings wheeled in a game of aerial tag. A right old ruckus going on as I past a large rookery high up in the tree tops . Crossed the river Dove at Tutbury for a brief visit into Staffordshire . A pleasent 35 miles saw me back at home .
Rusty the Reindeer and a Zebra made for unusal wild life

About @ mile for me tonight, as a busy day meant that I had only a short time to change my tyres and test ride.
So, on with the schwalbe Range Cruiser# (£12 each plus next day postage=£30 [thanks Chain Reaction]) and a hot foot round the block just as dusk fell....
1CB41D1D-213D-4A7E-B149-F55721A7B679.jpeg

As I age, I’m less inclined to leave things to chance and prefer visibility, strange that isn’t it.

Yesterday I fettled my rear lights, as I plonked them on in September, and immediately disliked them.
The one at the rear of the rack is much better protected, and the Moon on the saddle bag is out of the way too.
You might just be able to see my Cateye Bar end lights, though neither is illuminated in this image.I really like these as one can quickly switch them on if cycling into a dark area, under trees for example.
I have noticed when I commute on the dual carriageway with these lit, I seem to have much better over takers, with a wider space. Not scientific I know, but it certainly feels better. I would recommend them.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As per @gavgav's report further up the page, it's been a rather meandering trip today with lots of chatting and some new or rarely ridden lanes. Great to get out and enjoy some better weather after the wind and rain of the last week.

As some of you might have spotted it was the first outing of the year for my Raleigh, now that the salt has had a chance to be washed off the roads. It was also the first proper ride with a new shorter stem. Although I'd been sort of okay with the drop bar conversion, during the last few rides of last season I came to the conclusion that riding on the hoods was slightly more of a stretch than I was entirely comfortable with. A (rather pricey) 60mm stem seems to have sorted that very nicely and the handling seems little affected, which had been a little bit of a worry. I'm happier with the riding position generally but on this first ride the improvement was particularly noticable on the bits where we could press on. Looking forward to racking up more miles on it now.^_^

My tally by the time I got home was 36.8 miles at 11.6 mph average.

Not often you see post boxes with their own gnomes.

Gav taking a break at Ford Heath.

Action shot at the flood on the way to Longnor. I was a bit slow taking the pic to capture Gav at the deepest point.

Spring is definitely in progress at Concord College.

Attachments

• 20210315_112711.jpg
    20210315_112711.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 2

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
At last a drop of sunshine but still a strong north-easter. I thought it might be time to checkout the wild daffs down in the Golden Triangle. So south to turn around the bottom end of the hills. At Bromsberrow the wild daffs begin briefly. Certainly there were some out but not the best show I've seen there. Things looked a bit better below Broom's Green. At St Mary's the churchyard was looking good but at Kempley and at Shaw Common they were just getting going. Through the woods about half were out but at Gwen and Vera's the show was superb but still more to come. Again they were just getting going in the woods on the way to Dymock and at the nature reserve just a few on show. So methinks better shows are still to come. I shall return. 52 smiles

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
22 miles today... with a steady NW wind up to Morpeth with a ride around Tranwell then home to enjoy the tailwind.
14mph out and 18 back... lovely sunshine too. A good day.

Bike got a good clean and polish.

Attachments

• 3813A5E0-6E7D-4F9E-9DCE-0E51ECD773F9.jpeg
    3813A5E0-6E7D-4F9E-9DCE-0E51ECD773F9.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 3
  • CF48CE47-BE7A-4DD0-BB44-70C5A3710577.jpeg
    CF48CE47-BE7A-4DD0-BB44-70C5A3710577.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom