Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gratuitous extra picture:

20210312_070741.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
A short bimble around town to stretch the legs on Patsy #3 The Hybrid (Reborn). For some strange reason, after taking this photo, I decided to curtail the ride and race for home ... :whistle:

P1010627 (2).JPG

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Up early for a ride, on one of the hardest days of the year for me. Chilly morning, mostly cloudy, but a bit of sun about. Wind has dropped a bit, but it was one of those days where it appeared to be a headwind in every direction 🤷‍♂️!

I set out along the cycle paths, to Heathgates and along Whitchurch Rd, then through Sundorne estate, via a slightly different route to normal. Quite a few police vans out and about, no doubt looking for those who will be visiting where they shouldn’t be today......

Quite a few people out walking along the old canal path, which made it slow going, then got onto the roads at Uffington, climbing up to Upton Magna and then East Haughmond. Climbing the steepest part of the hill, I came up behind a tanker that was cleaning the drains out.xx( He was blocking the road for the cars that had come up behind me, but I could get past and so left them to sort it out between themselves.

I took the nice descending road past Hunkington Farm, for the first time in a while, then turned back towards Upton Magna and properly into the headwind, which made it slow going for the remainder of the trip.

The Pelham Rd was busy with cyclists today, plus a lot of traffic, as people had woken up by now. At Atcham, I stopped on the old bridge, for a snack and the river was just out of its banks again, following the heavy rain this week. Doesn’t take much to bring it back up again, with the water table so high.

Final section of the trip was to Cross Houses, Berrington, King St and Betton Abbots.

19.68 miles at 11.4mph avg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Out onto some bridleways connecting Playford to Rushmere St Andrew today, but chickened out on another section to Tuddenham that I realised would have a section of axle-deep mud. (The bridleway I did tackle showed obvious signs of extensive use - everybody must be feeling the need to get out and about.)
This at Rushmere, before I decided to head back into town detouring along roads I'd never used before. (I would include a pic overlooking Ipswich, but I feel it would only be of interest to the locals because of where I took it.)

Suffolk in Spring:

P1010639.JPG

A short but enjoyable 15 miles for me today, reduced as Mrs SnG has her 2nd jab later, and I didn’t want to push lunch into late afternoon.
Bognor to Chichester, using a bridle way I’ve not used before, going over Nature’s Way land through (not literally) their large stock of greenhouses.
A stop to capture an image of a gate I saw many years ago, showing an old Express Dairy...
D83AEB5D-4B26-4853-80EA-D3A119F9F95C.jpeg

Across the road and along a little there is Chichester Cemetary, quite a strange place, with a church building and a small cemetery on one side of the lane, and a much larger cemetery across the lane.
A couple of stops here for pictures...
07BD9476-36BC-4DFD-A4D1-BDEEA035EE5D.jpeg

9609B6D8-A683-4FD0-A5CA-DF21DF0CF1AD.jpeg

Just to the rear of this is a mausoleum for John Able Smith, (built 1872) a banker and MP for Chichester. It’s in dire need of a repair, apparently the roof is leaking and the timber structure is failing. The iron work is all rusty too.

C9D72E79-EFB1-4AFE-B9DA-3CD8B72AA3AC.jpeg

A little farther along the road, I spotted an old post box, out of use for some years...
54C4721B-B57F-42B8-836C-C7C47D280ABB.jpeg

Interesting to see an area of Commonwealth Graves in the corner, which I would really like to spend some time looking around, there are quite a few within a short cycle.

my last image today, the Catherdral (posted elsewhere today too), but this angle always makes me humble, as the area has changed since this was built so much, that I can only imagine how this must have looked on the first day after completion.

6FE32990-42B6-44D8-9796-F1FFC5826378.jpeg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Windy again, and I fooled myself that it looked warmer. Didn’t stop me wearing my rain jacket though, blowing like this the weather changes at almost every bend in the road.

Riding down the road towards Holbeck the route came to mind with no effort at all. Every turn of the cranks was quite an effort, but that’s OK. When I return it will be easier. Onto the Leeds and Liverpool towpath at Office Lock, and leave the towpath at Viaduct Road. Up to Headingley and a bit further up to Lawnswood. The road levels off, shall I turn right? No, straight on. Through Bramhope to the Dyneley Arms and by ‘eck, going down Pool Bank was great!

I turned left at the far side of the village, the familiar A659 to Otley. Still only one maypole there, so a quick munch before the ride up not so delightful Leeds Road. But with the wind at my back it was remarkably easy pedalling. Back through Bramhope, turn left at the wine shop and enjoy a wind assisted climb up Kings Road. Turn right, going down past Golden Acre Park the trees there are keeping most of the wind off. Until the right turn towards Adel.

Back to the A660, downhill to Headingley. Turn right and more descent to Kirkstall, after passing the resurfacing work being done on North Lane. Took the road to the town centre from there, knowing that Woodrup’s is closed on Sunday but the extra shove from the wind was so much fun. Pass the soon to be open Decathlon shop on Boar Lane, eleven days it seems but at least one friend has told me differently. We shall see. Home soon after, big smile for the fun the wind gave, thirty miles and 1600 feet imitating a lift. Pretty good ride.

The garthing spent all the ride drawing these,

14032021.jpg

1403elev.jpg

I went to the shops yesterday...

One nice thing about this village is that it has lots of narrow back streets to cycle down.

20210313_110445.jpg

I'm glad that isn't my cellar though...

Last edited:

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Went out Saturday morning with all good intensions, but for some reason bonked at 10.5 miles, no energy, dizzy, nausea, etc. Had to stop at the roadside for 10 minutes to recover then crawled home. Not a nice feeling at all xx(.
View attachment 577657
Went one better than this one. Went out for a ride Tuesday night, after about 20 miles, middle on nowhere, pitch black at about 7.30PM came off hard and managed to land on my left side. Soon realised something was seriously wrong when I tried to get up and my left forearm stayed on the ground. Had to phone a neighbour and an ambulance. Long story short, I've shattered my left elbow and have had to have it reconstructed in a 5 hour operation. Back home now but been advised I'll be out of action for minimum 6 weeks (and it bloody hurts). Haven't even looked at the bike yet :sad:

footloose crow

Über Member
14 March. Daffodils and a ferry

IMG_6204.jpeg

I like daffodils. Bright, cheerful, a harbinger of Spring. Here in Cornwall we have a lot of daffs. Acres and acres of them. From where I took this photo I had a 365 degree panorama of nodding daffodils, faces turned towards the sun. I have no idea how they knew where the sun was today with full cloud cover. The wind was north westerly and that was making its presence known. March winds eh?

Who is going to pick all those daffodils? There has been little sign of the migrant pickers this year. Once they bloom they are too late for picking anyway. Still, it is very nice of the farmer to make the countryside pretty for us.

The lanes of the Roseland are also very pretty. It is a peninsula made up of peninsulas like an outstretched set of talons sinking deep into the sea, cut through with tidal creeks, patchworked with copses and sunken farms, rutted tracks that must lead somewhere, isolated houses faced with granite against the scouring gales of winter. Hedges grow high each side of the lane but through the gaps I can see daffodil fields. I can smell them. The sweet, cloying scent of the flowers is everywhere.

The main feature of the Roseland for that cyclists will notice apart from the scenery is the nature of the topography.

Up. Down. Up. Down.

You want 25% gradients, come to the Roseland. Up onto the tops with sweeping views across fields (of daffodils inevitably) to the sea and then down, twisting hairpins deep into ancient woods, silent, forgotten but already edged with the white dots of wild garlic and the sparkle of purple that must be vinca. Primroses are stirring, tree buds are stretching out for the sun, the land is waking up.

63741457167__91E65648-8730-41F8-996A-0C6EB1085163.jpeg

Rolling along the lanes I have become oblivious to the fact that there may be other road users until a toot from the car behind me wakes me up. I have been occupying the middle of the road for a while. I wonder how long she waited for me to move over. Electric car, I can't hear them coming up behind me. It is the first car since I have seen (or heard) since I hit the Roseland. This is such a quiet place.

Down the long sweeping bends to the King Harry Ferry, losing 300 feet in a quarter of a mile, pretending I am Mathieu van de Poel leaning my bike through the bends until I get frightened and apply the brakes. So maybe I am not going to get the call from Alpecin-Fenix anytime soon.

I have missed the ferry by seconds and it sails without me. That wouldn't have happened to Mathieu. This means a 20 minute wait until it returns and leaves me shivering in the wind. There is a broken down car on the ferry, destined to cross to and fro, backwards and forwards perhaps for ever but certainly until the breakdown truck can find its way to this obscure corner of Cornwall.

63741704672__1E404BEC-1952-4DF9-8448-371C2DA47971.jpeg

A much older lady, a cyclist, chats to me on the ferry. She says it is her first time on the bike since November and she has covered about thirty miles so far. She overtakes me on the hill leaving the ferry. I am glad she wasn't properly fit, she would have been just a blur. It leaves me feeling impotent and weak.

IMG_6211.jpeg

Two P&O ferries moored up on the Fal. The river is deep here with access to the open sea a mile away and shipping companies often lay up unwanted vessels until demand picks up.

From here there are fewer hills and a chance to enjoy the ride and pick up the pace. I add an extra two kilometres to avoid the fate of Friday's ride where the Wahoo stated 49.9km - I am trying to do the 50k a month challenge and 49.9 does not get you the big cigar. By the time I saw 49.9km I was already in the kitchen and the ride was loading wirelessly onto Strava. It doesn't matter, it's all about the ride right?

Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 19.47.41.png

13 rider

Guru
Went one better than this one. Went out for a ride Tuesday night, after about 20 miles, middle on nowhere, pitch black at about 7.30PM came off hard and managed to land on my left side. Soon realised something was seriously wrong when I tried to get up and my left forearm stayed on the ground. Had to phone a neighbour and an ambulance. Long story short, I've shattered my left elbow and have had to have it reconstructed in a 5 hour operation. Back home now but been advised I'll be out of action for minimum 6 weeks (and it bloody hurts). Haven't even looked at the bike yet :sad:
That's sound extremely painful . Hope you heel quickly a complicated joint to repair

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Sounds horrible, how did you come off, what happened?
Came around a corner a bit sharp and misjudged it, I think I caught something and it threw me off. Landed on my left but think my elbow took the full force on the road. I could feel the top half of my arm turning but the bottom half was lying limp on the road. xx(

Top Bottom