Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Wet and windy. I squeezed this one in hoping I would dodge the showers. I got caught in a slight amount of wet at the end but that wasn't a problem. The wind was strong for sure. Mostly the hedges did their job. The White Rabbit still watches but the Red Rubies must be in the byre out of the weather. This one felt much better than Monday's outing. 35 smiles

Here are some "library" pics

1615409171038.png
1615409190981.png
1615409213502.png
1615409235625.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On gentle down slopes, they were pedalling and I was coasting and gaining on them! Weird...
Have you put weight on during lockdown...? :whistle:

A great example of that was on a holiday on the Costa Blanca a few years back. I was grovelling up a huge hill when a skinny female cyclist shot past me about a kilometre from the summit. When I finally got to the top, I could see her way ahead of me on the descent. I set off in pursuit and caught her up by the time she was half way down. I overtook her at 50 mph, barely even pedalling. I looked back and her legs were spinning round at a ridiculously high cadence and she couldn't get close to me. When the road flattened off, I slowed down and she finally caught up and asked how that was possible. She'd been spinning out in her highest gear. I asked how much she weighed and her weight was 7 stone. I weighed about 13.5 stone at the time...
:okay:

had hoped the bridge at Whorlton had been reopened as the sign at to top of the bank had been removed :laugh::laugh::sad:
It sounds like it will be some time before the bridge is sorted out!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Love the pic! Really inspirational.
+1 on that, a beauty ^_^
It really IS a lovely area. Under normal circumstances I organise a forum ride passing through there every year at the end of March or start of April. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic it was cancelled last year and will be this time round again. Perhaps the improving Covid-19 situation will make it possible for a summer/autumn edition?
Im so fortunate to live in a landscape which speaks for itself. But yes, I was pleased with that one.
I've rarely been up there this early in the year. It normally looks more like this when I ride over there...

I miss it!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
...has been rained off.

And my ultra moderne, flat, hand held Chrystal Ball, is predicting tomorrows will be blown away....
I can sympathise. Was hoping to get out and brave the wind this afternoon having only got a short utility ride in since sunday. However, from where I am sat typing this I can see a curtain of rain the colour of a bruise slowly obscuring the landscape to the west.:rain::rain:

ianbarton

Veteran
Audlem Church.
vlcsnap-2021-03-11-17h34m27s176.png

A bit of a Bob Dylan ride: 'The answer is blowin' in the wind' Unfortunately it was so windy I couldn't hear it! About 40kph gale on the outward leg, but with some shelter from the hedges. My usual circuit through Audlem, Norton in Hales, Whitchurch, Willaston and Ightfield. The occasional short sharp shower, but not long enough to soak me. 41km and 351m climbed. Tomorrow is going to be worse, so I was glad I got out today. At least I got a Strava 'Local Legend' for most rides on one segment

Gunk

Guru
Only about 7 miles today, collected some oil from Halfords, some wire wool from B&Q and some groceries from our local Coop, I’d just fitted some new SwissStop brake shoes to the Van Nic so wanted to get and out and test the difference, the bike was great and the weather gorgeous until about a mile from home when I got pelted by a hail storm in a head wind, so a tough last leg but good to be out.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Only about 7 miles today, collected some oil from Halfords, some wire wool from B&Q and some groceries from our local Coop, I’d just fitted some new SwissStop brake shoes to the Van Nic so wanted to get and out and test the difference, the bike was great and the weather gorgeous until about a mile from home when I got pelted by a hail storm in a head wind, so a tough last leg but good to be out.

View attachment 578125
I like your frame protector for the lock. Simple, but effective.

Old jon

Guru
After setting off for a ride yesterday and being blown and buffeted around by that wind, it took me less than a mile to decide to retrace the tracks of my tyres. Thank you Smokey Robinson, even though I did not like the song. So this morning, sunshine, showers and less wind, off I went in the hope of more of a ride.

It took some doing. Down into Holbeck, reasonable. Onto the canal towpath, when did someone make that uphill? And the rain really was bouncing. Reached Viaduct Road, but carried on along the towpath, past Kirkstall and Bramley to Rodley. My jacket was doing a great job of keeping me dry and warm, so I pedalled on, still felt like it was uphill. Apperley Bridge is next, and a decision to make.

And change, ‘cos after going up the side of the lock there the surface changes for the worse, not fun to ride on, been there, burnt the T shirt. Back down to the swing bridge, turn right and up that hill to the George, which might just be in Idle, yup, checked the address. Turn left, heading homewards. Greengates is suffering road improvements, like almost everywhere else it seems. Victoria Park in Calverley was wet, windswept and deserted, but I did not mind. The wind was at my back. Cross Leeds Ring Road and I am back in Rodley, but on the road this time.

Stay on the roads, there are a couple of hills before reaching Leeds and Bradford Road, which then descends all the way to Kirkstall. And I remembered to ride to Woodrups, there was a queue outside. It’s a good job the bits I want are not urgent, I can keep on riding and stay warm. Through the town centre, and to home. The rain stopped as I reached the end of the street, but I had a grin anyway. Twenty three miles, just over a thousand feet going up, though it felt like a lot more. A good ride, a bit of wind adds to the fun. Once in a while.

The shapes of things today.

12032021.jpg

1203elev.jpg

pjd57

Veteran

Another of my tablet delivery runs. My Mrs has been making it during lockdown and sells it to raise funds for Marie Curie.
Free delivery .....gets me out.

Usually the trips are a bit shorter , but basically it's anywhere in the Glasgow area.

Really lucky with the weather.
Missed almost all the wind and rain on my nice straight route through the city centre then head for Rutherglen, Cambuslang , Blantyre then Hamilton.
All in traffic , but it is still quieter than normal

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Out over Acton Green was quite pleasant but the open country from Bishop's Frome was into the teeth of a gale. Nothing for it but to get the correct gear engaged and pedal. I had some respite from Burley Gate but some sections to Withington were seriously tough. I turned at Withington and things got easier. It was a pleasant run through Yarkhill and on to Bosbury. Just short of Old Colwall Pete M came the other way. He didn't stop, maybe because some rain had started. I climbed the Wyche with the temperature dropping. It was a chilly descent but home in time for tea. 44 smiles

Top Bottom