Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Another ride today, this time on my own. I'd found a Mountain bike route on kamoot and with some tweaking in ridewithgps, I'd turned it into an interesting loop. I'd also found an interesting lost place not far from the route. So with grey skies and low temperatures I set out past the pig farm and over the glider school runway before turning into the forest. So far all on familiar and oft travelled trails.

Then after a few hundred metres I turned east and onto smaller trails. Before long I'd reached the area where the hunt for my lost place was to begin. Not far from the path an innocuous tree covered mound gave up its secret.

This area used to be a munitions factory and storage area in the war. Most of the remains lie in the military area to the East, but a number of large bunkers lie out here in the public forest. British troops blew up the bunkers in the 60's, but the remains are quite substantial and spread out over a large area.

After nosing around for a while, I headed off West on the bike. Before long I came to the end of the forest and crossed the road, swinging back North on the Western side of the road. The forest here felt fresh and the trail under my wheels was firm and dry.

Several kilometres flew by in complete solitude, there was no one to be seen or heard out here. Overhead the screech of a Buzzard provide the only noise to break the silence. The trail wound it's way its way steadily North before swing round West again.

At one point the Garmin throws a fit and wants to send me round in ever decreasing circles and I have to resort to the ridewithgps app on my phone to re-orientate myself. Turns out the open street maps I'm using have misplaced a track, that oddly Google maps knows about. Re-orientated, I head down to the banks of the Ortze river where a sculpture watches over the trail.

From here, it's South through the forest, a gravel track runs parallel to the rutted and muddy main track and I make fast progress through the trees.Then it's South East running parallel to the road on wonderful forest tracks, all the while in complete solitude. After several kilometres, a few turns here and there bring me out onto a network of single track trails.

I have great fun flying along twisting and turning between the trees on this delightful single track, made even more fun by the fact I'm on a gravel bike. Too soon the trail ends in a small town and once across it's on to larger tracks again for the last few kilometres home. In total we traversed 42 kilometres of mostly new forest tracks, exploring some fascinating ruins and having a great old time on some fun trails. In all, with my ride with my son yesterday and exploring today, it's been a lovely weekends cycling.

theloafer

Legendary Member
needed to get our lass out ..as on fri ride she was knackered after 20 miles (well it was her first ride in 8 months) so picked out our flatish ride to Sedgefield as i know its about 30 ish miles. call in at Thorpe Thewles part of the Wynyard rail trail to find there cafe open^_^ . the placee was very busy and sections of the trail were very wet and muddy ,karon was not impressed.
we then used part of the NCN1 route into Sedgefield, then over to Ferryhill then to Chilton then back via the A167 and home .karon now soaking in bath.. ithink i am still getting my tea later :laugh::laugh:

karon,s legs loosener .. lol | Ride | Strava

bluenotebob

Veteran
Today’s ride was a repeat of last week’s Gaël/Trémorel/Illifaut loop and, just like last week, the start of the ride was straight into the teeth of a bitingly cold wind from the NE. A real slog to do the 15km to Gaël – then NW to Trémorel with a cross headwind for 10km. The return home from Trémorel was easy – but I couldn’t really take advantage of having the wind behind me as I was too knackered by then.

55km in 3 hours 15 mins .. very slow but ultimately enjoyable. I’m sure I’ll sleep well tonight.

The undulating road to Trémorel

The church in Illifaut – I often see other cyclists here .. but not today. In fact, I didn’t see another cyclist all day.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

Particularly difficult ride for me today around regents park. Only 27 miles on the clock compared to my 32 last week but I didn't have the vavavoom to keep up with the racing snakes.

Not really any strong winds or breeze to speak of but it was still bloody hard work. Normally I come across folks who are around my level as far as pace and fitness goes and fall into a routine with them but luck did not smile on me today.

At least I got some sunshine though although it was still chilly.

Haven't been on here in a while (posting anyway, always check in to see what others are doing, its such a motivation)...anyway, nice weather (AND A NEW BIKE) made me get out. Riding a lot with my little un and some of the paths she takes us down makes me edgy on the road bike, so (any excuse!) blagged myself a MTB. Changed a lot since I last had one, and had forgotten how heavy they are, but really enjoyed going along some routes that the road bike would not have coped with, plus it was a lovely day :-)
1615149519912.png

1615149557540.png

1615149595829.png

1615149633406.png

AndreaJ

Veteran
Cold, grey and frosty this morning so back to a winter jacket. Started off to Horton now that the road is open again and on to Loppington via Nonely. One of the local farmers was moving sheep so had to stop while they made their way up the lane, just as I was admiring how well this was going without using a dog the last few sheep decided that they didn’t fancy a move and turned back into the field closely followed by the rest of the flock who were already on the lane. The dog was called into action then and as I left it was busy sending sheep all over the place! She was certainly enthusiastic about her job even if the technique was a work in progress. I carried on through Loppington and up to English Frankton, Brown Heath back to the crossroads in Loppington passing the duck pond to turn to Lyneal. Took the turning to Pikes End, Colemere, down what’s left of the road back to Lyneal where I headed to Welshampton, Northwood, Waterloo, Foxholes and back home. The sun did appear halfway round when it did warm up a bit. 27.9 miles, lots of cyclists and horse riders out today and very little traffic here.

C R

Guru
Quite a cold start today, with ice on the car's windscreens, but crucially not on the road, so a ride was on, only the fourth one this year, after January being a total write off.

Out at my usual 6:30, back in full winter kit, but at least it is already pretty much daylight. Plan was going Droitwich way and see how things went.

Roads really quiet through St Peters and town, up the A38 to Fernhill Heath I don't think I was passed by more than four or five cars. I took the back lanes towards Droitwich at Fernhill Heath, and now out of the more urban area the wind was really cutting in places, and the sun wasn't really providing much warmth, but my neoprene gloves were working a treat keeping my hands nicely warm.

Droitwich was still sleeping when I went past, heading up Crutch Ln, with the intention of going to Stoke Prior via Bromsgrove, but I too the wrong turn and ended up in Wychbold. I didn't fancy riding the A38 to Bromsgrove, so took the back roads to Stoke Prior from here, and then turned for Hanbury.

Here was the only climb of note for today, and with my legs still not in much shape due to lack of miles, I had to just grin and bear it to the top. O course, after an up, there's a down, and as hard as the ascent was, the descent into Hanbury was easy.

Time now to turn towards home, heading Droitwich way, but turning towards Oddingley via the back lanes for the standard run home via the Hospital and County Hall sites.

Lovely ride, but very cold even when the sun was out. My legs are still complaining because of the lack of miles, but hopefully that will start improving.

The map
Screenshot_20210307-205649.png

Part 1: deliver car to Manor Garage in Horrabridge, cycle back. temp 1°C. Stupid temperature to be riding a bike.

Traffic, once back in town, was horrific, as was pedestrian density. People delivering the next Covid-19 spike to their places of learning.
Part 2 later, to retrieve the car. H/t to @hennbell , to whom this would have been reasonably warm ride! Not me, I just don't do cold...
:cold::cold::cold:

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
Sunday's ride. At 10C it was a lot warmer than Friday's ride and felt quite pleasant for a while in the spring sunshine, although that gradually faded. A clockwise loop into Berwickshire with only one photo stop -

There is a farm just over the next hill called Fans. As I passed it a couple of pedestrians flagged me down, but it transpired they weren't fans of mine, they thought I was someone else. :wacko:

1615199454236.png

41.6 @ 13.5 mph, 898m up.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Monday afternoon loop ride.
Strong westerly wind and rain so headed out west uphill straight into it for 13 miles via the old Roman Road then to Matfen. surprised to average 13mph, then turned for home 13mi back via Stamfordham-

18.6mph back! Lovely when the sun came out. 26miles and 800' up!

Wild but clear + sunny on the tops above Tynedale.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It was cold this morning but the sun & the hills soon warmed me up. 85km in a big circuit over the Blackdowns on the old coach road, before getting slightly lost after missing the Bewley Down road. I got a flapjack in Axminister, then headed for the sea. I followed the coast through Sidmouth and returned via Tipton & Feniton.
IMG_20210308_112722991_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210308_112938467_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210308_135248791_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210308_120535244_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210308_121919875_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210308_131557996_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210308_151538941_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210308_133451048_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom