Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sunny but cold !
Circulation played up after the cake stop again, i will have to see the docs asap as i cant go on like this as until
i got feeling back in my hands and feet i lost all my power

Old jon

Guru
All sunshine and brightness it was. And a bit earlier than usual too. But it was definitely not warm, so the sooner I started the sooner I would warm up.

And for some odd reason I wanted to ride UP Milner Lane out of Thorner. Pedal away to Oakwood then. Keep on the A58 for a change, across the Ring Road and after the road levels turn left onto Whin Moor Lane. But not for long, there is a right turn onto, I think, Hobberley Lane, ah, better check. Yes, I thunked right. Anyway, this reaches Shadwell Main Street about halfway down. Descend the rest of the way, cross the A58 and ride along Carr Lane to Thorner.

So, as I thought before I started, up Milner Lane it is. Not much of a climb, leaving the village it is no climb at all. But that last bit up to the junction with a Thorner Lane, hmmm, I have never chosen too low a gear for that bit. From here the road, it feels like the top of the world, views are massive, when the mists allow it. There is another right turn a bit further on, onto Holme Farm Lane. Which turns into another Thorner Lane before long. And goes to Bramham.

Turn right there, onto Paradise Way. Look, if the two Thorner Lanes I have ridden so far do not go to Thorner, where do you expect Paradise Way is going? Bramham Crossroads is where it does go. And it is straight on to Aberford. Which has a long impressive bridge across Cock Beck. Which is an insignificant little trickle, these days. A few miles downstream, in 1461, it was called the River Cock. Sounds a lot bigger.

So, cross the water, turn right. There are a few ups and downs before crossing the beck again and the final rise to Barwick in Elmet. Saw maybe half a dozen cyclists before reaching that village, then the last hundred yards before the maypole at least that many again. Reminded me it was Sunday.

Scholes next. As quiet as usual, cross the bridge over the former railway, bend left and the A64 is in view. Left onto that and then right. Onto the third Thorner Lane of the morning, and this one does go to the village of that name. Just to be difficult, I do not. Skeltons Lane is the next left, down Boot Hill and back to Oakwood before crossing the river at Crown Point again. The end of the street was a welcome sight after thirty two miles of riding and 1900 feet going up. Worth a grin, for sure.

What the garthing saw . . .

07032021.jpg

0703elev.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
Does pushing an ebike count ? 2.61 miles with 163ft of climbing to and from Chevin Cycles in a fruitless mission to get a crank bolt released. its well fastened in and would "need booking in".
Before that a walk of 4.4 miles with 388ft of climbing to Screwfix and Holland & Barratt amongst which the 1/4 mile long climb of Ripon Road was only two and half minutes slower than my fastest time on the Defy.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
What was intended as a little pootle on the tandem somehow turned into an epic featuring 35 miles, three major climbs totalling 1000m, being overtaken by Dame Sarah Storey in her rainbow bands and discovering the Cat & Fiddle Inn is now open as a takeaway cafe (hooray!).

And if there is anything more uplifting than ascending a winding mountain road beside a steam twinkling in the spring sunshine with the lovely Mrs T on the seat behind, then I am yet to discover it.

Does pushing an ebike count ? 2.61 miles with 163ft of climbing to and from Chevin Cycles in a fruitless mission to get a crank bolt released. its well fastened in and would "need booking in".
Before that a walk of 4.4 miles with 388ft of climbing to Screwfix and Holland & Barratt amongst which the 1/4 mile long climb of Ripon Road was only two and half minutes slower than my fastest time on the Defy.
Not sure its allowed in the CC Rule Book, but an 'Epic bike walks' thread might be interesting. Bet a lot of us have had catastrophic failures resulting in some long distance walks!

geocycle

Legendary Member
Tried to keep local, it’s definitely getting harder but the cold weather curtails enthusiasm. Had a nice 30 miles out to Bowland with 800m of climbing. Went up the trough of Bowland but turned around at the top to avoid the long route around. Lots of folk out despite the cold. Lapwings displaying on the moorland and rough pastures, their peewit competing with curleeeew!

Love the pic! Really inspirational.
+1 on that, a beauty ^_^

gavgav

Guru
With legs a bit stiff following Friday’s hilly ride, I got out for a loosener this morning. Cold and grey again, but slightly less bitter than Friday.

Today’s route was to Betton Abbots, Condover, Ryton, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Pitchford, Cantlop and back.

The sun did start to appear, after Longnor and the roads were quiet until the last few miles, when traffic galore started appearing, after people had woken from their Sunday morning slumber.

Gave the bike a good wash down, following recent muddy rides, when I got home and also took the opportunity to get the mower out of the shed and give the lawn its first cut of the season. Spring will be here soon and hopefully some warmer cycling weather!

19.86 miles at 11.8mph avg. Legs felt very fatigued from Friday, but still good to be out.

Tried to keep local, it’s definitely getting harder but the cold weather curtails enthusiasm. Had a nice 30 miles out to Bowland with 800m of climbing. Went up the trough of Bowland but turned around at the top to avoid the long route around. Lots of folk out despite the cold. Lapwings displaying on the moorland and rough pastures, their peewit competing with curleeeew!

View attachment 577477
Despite living next to Caton I have never ventured out towards Trough of Bowland or cycled that area. I seem to always drift Kirkby Lonsdale way and Hawes or in the direction of Arnside and up to Lakes. Is it good riding ? Nice picture

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a quick spin clockwise round the short version of my Acton Burnell loop but there was sunshine (even if the wind was stil rather chilly) and I was riding with my brother......... at his suggestion.:hyper:

The short version of this route involves using the A49 at the start, which was busier than it's been of late and I strongly suspect can only be due to people going out on jollies. The local police have been dishing out fines for people from out of the area turning up at beauty spots by car, so they'll have a busy day I suspect.

Turning off towards Condover it was much quieter so we enjoyed the ride up to Cantlop, Pitchford and Acton Burnell. I think Doug had hoped this would be quite a fast ride but he has ridden infrequently over the last year so I encouraged him to make it a bit more leisurely. That lasted until the climb to Frodesley where another rider overtook us, Doug's competitiveness kicked in and our speed jumped up by about 3 mph.^_^

At Longnor we turned into the wind so we didn't get the fast run back to Condover that was hoped for. We risked the A49 again on the way back and it wasn't too bad. I'm sure that the people in their McLaren supercar were out on an essential journey.:whistle:

I think Doug has realised that he needs to work on his bike fitness but he seems to have enjoyed this one so hopefully it'll be easy to get him out again soon.:okay:

17.2 miles at 12.3 mph average. I think that's alright.

A quick break at the turning for Longnor.

The Lawley and Caer Caradoc from the viewpoint at Ryton.

Also at the Ryton viewpoint: Give it a week and there will be daffs blooming all over.^_^

Last edited:

ianbarton

Veteran
Yesterday's ride was my loop through Wem. It felt cold, although it was around 10C. There was a slight breeze, which I was riding into on the outward leg, but helped me on the way home. After a brief stop at Wem Coop to buy some food I set off towards Whixall. There were several dog walkers with a couple of children on bikes on the hill up to Lowe. Passing Whixall Village Hall and crossing the B5476 I was soon in Prees. A short steep pull up to the Church, where I relaxed on the bench under the Yew tree to eat lunch and drink my flask of hot chocolate.

There is a pleasant downhill section to reach the crossing over the A49, which seemed quiet. A steady pull up to Ightfield leads to a gentle downhill section of a few miles to the junction with Lodmore Lane, where it's only a couple of miles to home.

When I stopped at home a bit of hamfisted pushing of buttons on the Wahoo managed to delete my ride! Luckily Wahoo stores all your rides, even the deleted ones, on the internal memory. Plugging the Wahoo into the computer I managed to recover my ride.

56km and 380 metres of ascent.

vlcsnap-2021-03-07-15h34m55s504.png

An almost deserted Wem high street,

vlcsnap-2021-03-07-15h38m52s924.png

Prees just below the steep pull up to the church.
vlcsnap-2021-03-07-15h40m43s044.png

Prees church. A good place to stop for lunch.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Despite living next to Caton I have never ventured out towards Trough of Bowland or cycled that area. I seem to always drift Kirkby Lonsdale way and Hawes or in the direction of Arnside and up to Lakes. Is it good riding ? Nice picture
Absolutely but it helps to like hills. From Caton you can ride through Conder valley and either go up over the big Jubilee Tower climb or continue south and go in via Abbeystead. The trough climb from the west is not too bad. My favourite route is to go through Wray along the Keasden road, over the big Cross o Greet climb and down theHodder valley to Dunsop Bridge, refuel then climb the trough from the east.

Top Bottom