Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
55k in the sunshine today. I climbed the medium-hard way out of town, then a bit of A30 just for thrills, and along the 7 Mile Straight to Shute.
In Seaton they were busy putting the beach back where it should be. I climbed & descended into Branscombe, passing a notably cautious cyclist on the descent.
My return was along ridge roads, and I seemed to be going well. Managed to clock 65k/hr on the descent back into town, despite the hairpins (the road was nice and dry).
IMG_20210301_144059907_BURST002~2.jpg

IMG_20210301_144117854~2.jpg

IMG_20210301_143615646_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210301_140945105.jpg

IMG_20210301_141030798_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

ianbarton

Veteran
A belated report of Sunday's ride. Blue skies and not too cold. I cycled to Whitchurch via my usual circuitous route and picked up a snack and an apple juice at Sainsbury's. Back into the centre of Whitchurch and cycled up Mile Bank road, which is a gradual incline with great views over the Cheshire countryside. Suddenly the vibration through the forks on the rough tarmac got a lot worse and it was obvious I had a puncture.

However, the gods were smiling at me. It was the front wheel, I was at the top of the hill with great views, it wasn't raining and there was a concrete farm track where I could change the inner tube. I located the puncture in the tube, but couldn't find anything in the tyre, or poking through on the inside. I soon had the tube changed and set off downhill towards Wrenbury. I am always worried when I can't find the cause of a puncture and sure enough, the tyre was flat again a few hundred yards from home. A forensic examination of the tyre, a Schwalbe Durano showed signs of wear when I flexed it. It's been on for a few years and done a lot of mileage, so I fitted a new tyre and so far no further problems.

Distance 48km and 368 metres of climbing.

vlcsnap-2021-03-02-12h01m10s978.png

Dog walkers at Wrenbury

vlcsnap-2021-03-02-12h03m25s728.png

Lodges at the end of the Shavington estate.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A loop down to Newburn , along the Tyne to The Cycle Hub then up through Jesmond, Westerhop[e and home... just over 25 miles and 1200' up!

Lovely cold bright day- surprisingl little traffic and few people about.

Had fun chasing down a BMW M5 driver who was frustrated by a slower car in front for a couple of miles- kept up with them both down through Newburn - he only escaped by shooting the red lights at the junction and then accelerating away over the single track Newburn Bridge running the red light over the bridge- luckily he didn't meet anything halfway coming the other way!

+ another 3 miles to drop off a prescription off for my mum!

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Once again, a couple of rides to report on:
Yesterday: My brother decided to head in to work by bike for the first time in ages so I rode with him to give a bit of company then carried on with my own exercise, out of town past the prison, through Castlefields and Ditherington then to Upton Magna, Atcham, Berrington, Condover and back.

In contrast to the weekend it was back to a bitter-cold wintery feel. When we set out it felt colder than it had with an actual frost on the ground on Saturday & Sunday, so we didn't get very far before Doug was wanting another layer on. I could have done with my full finger gloves but they were in my other bag.

We rode along Victoria Avenue which, although plenty wide enough to keep our distance from people, was surprisingly busy and didn't entice me to retrace my steps that way. It was quieter going past the prison and the biggest issue was all the parked cars making Castlefields into a slalom course. I avoided the narrow canal path by sticking to the road for a bit and joining it further up where it's wider and usually there are fewer people walking.

The road to Upton Magna was into a headwind this time but was very quiet. After the village a long line of trees has been felled on Pelham Road. I think it's to do with the restoration of the Newport - Shrewsbury Canal. I'm sure I'll enjoy seeing boats cruising alongside the road at some point in the future. In the meantime it's taken away an avenue I liked.:sad:

I encountered a good selection of cyclists on this road and as far as Atcham, then the road to Cross Houses was quiet and it was a very easy crossing of the A458. The rest to Condover and home was quite uneventful and a mug of cocoa was welcome to warm up with at the end.

20.8 miles at 12.4 mph average.

The changing scene on Pelham Road.

Today: Out into another cold and misty morning to try and get some miles in before the forecast rain arrived about lunchtime. The first attempt didn't go well as I covered less than a mile before hail then rain came down and I realised my waterproofs weren't in the bag I had with me. The shower had passed by the time I restarted.

The route this time was over Lyth Hill to Annscroft, Arscott, Nox and round in a meandering loop of the lanes round Ford Heath and Shoot Hill before turning back to Arscott via Cruckton, Cruckmeole and Hanwood then heading for Exford's Green and Hunger Hill so as to return via Little Lyth.

There weren't as many people at Lyth Hill for a change. I notice that the descent to Annscroft has been marked up for roadworks at some future point (probably to replace the water pipe that burst in the hard frosts). A tailwind helped on the way through Arscott and Lea Cross to Nox where I plodded up the short sharp climb. After this I took a left to explore some nice quiet lanes that I haven't ridden before and I think they would be worth revisiting, especially on a nice sunny day.

Before long I'd cycled all the new bits and headed for Cruckton, I wondered if the headwind would slow me much but it wasn't really noticable. What I did notice though was the climb away from Hanwood which was bigger and steeper than I remember it.

At Exford's Green I reached a junction where I needed to turn off just as a rider turned into it from the opposite direction. I held back but noticed the rider slowed and kept looking over his shoulder to see where I was, so I moved up with the intention of overtaking. When I got alongside it turned out he'd recognised me from a previous occasion about two years ago when I was invited to tag along with his group for a few miles. We ended up chatting for a bit until parting at Hunger Hill where he headed for Condover and I towards Little Lyth.

22.8 miles for this one at 12.2mph average.

Not much of a view from Lyth Hill today.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Grey, misty and dismal out there but what the heck? Out round the north of the Hills I spotted Derek B getting his veg plot into shape. So we both stopped for a chat. Then onwards to Knightwick where I decided to give the Ankerdine climb a go. Haven't climbed it for a few years. It wasn't too bad but I don't think my time would be anywhere near my olden days race time. I took a different dodge around Martley to join up to the Ockeridge loop then a standard run back by Wichenford and Bastonford. Not a bad outing. 43 smiles

gavgav

Guru
Out for an after work ride, with Doug. The lovely sunshine of the weekend, has been replaced with dank grey skies, mist and its blooming cold again.

We set out through the nearby estate, along the cycle paths to Heathgates, Whitchurch Rd, through Sundorne and onto the old canal path to Uffington.

From there we joined roads to Upton Magna and Berwick Wharf. We, like @Rickshaw Phil above, saw the decimation of loads of trees along the Pelham Rd, which to me is a big shame and looks dreadful on what was a lovely tree lined avenue. There has been an outcry on local Social Media groups about it as well.....

The rat run to Atcham was nice and quiet, before we crossed the old bridge, laughing at a boy racer in a wheeelbarrow/Ford Fiesta, razzing around the hotel car park, with a huge clunk as he did so. Something damaged somewhere!

As we joined the road to Cressage, the mist started to turn to fog and by the time we’d reached Berrington and King St, it was quite thick and the lights were bouncing off it well, creating a halo.

We parted ways having enjoyed the ride and a chat, plus Doug had coped far better than our last jaunt. A less hilly route and more gentle pace also helped. 16.16 miles for me at 11.1mph avg.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Nice wee tootle down the NCR74.

Very quiet back roads however the condition of some leave a lot to be desired.

Lots of fly tipping on the road between Larkhall & Stonehouse which is sad to see.

New Wahoo Bolt had arrived so wanted to run it through its paces and have to say very impressed with the unit. Cycle was nice, 30 miles with 2667 foot of ascent over the piece.

Was hoping to get out again today but rain has literally started as I type this :-(

m3JUCXtDD9p95uoRhre74NTV5_OJ2WCFa6fM57j-8QY-2048x901.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
As I may have mentioned before, at the beginning of the first lockdown last year, my erstwhile cycling and beer consuming mate and I have been sending photographs to each other taken during rides to test each other on the location. It's been immense fun and, currently, I'm testing/teasing him with 'doors' I have spotted. Well, today I went for a ride around town down roads and Streets I never knew existed, let alone used.

Here's an example: :whistle:

Off Beaufort Street.JPG

Just a short one today, to Tesco, as I know they stock the particular kind of Oatly cream, ready for tonight’s fruit salad.
4.5 miles using the promenade, as well, you have to don’t you, living by the sea and all!
Followed by a 4.1 mile return, a little more direct, and passing a church I have never seen before, although no image as the light wasn’t great.
Continuing my Apple Watch ‘ring’ chasing has resulted in 7 consecutive weeks for all rings to be closed, and the fitness challenge for this month is to do at least 29 sets of 15 minutes exercise.
I have completed 11 so far, in 4 days! ( some of these have been on the new Reebok cross trainer, which I’m finding quite enjoyable!)

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Dropped the car off this morning for it’s first MOT and then had a ride out to Prologue Cycles in Harrogate for a take out coffee and a look at some of their very fancy bikes, Cervelo, Pinarello, Parlee, Bianchi, some beautiful bikes costing in excess of 8k!
I don’t think they have ever had a £126 eBay Tricross pay them a visit!
32 miles, a few hills too, fab ride.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Sunshine again. Still f-f-f-f-fairly cold out there at the other side of the windows, but I do want a ride. Pedalling has been limited for a while, I have had a painful knee. The vet prescribed potions and pills, which seem to have worked. Time for a road test.

Away to Crown Point to cross the river. And then ride up to the Oakwood Clock. Both legs complaining equally, best keep on riding. Turn left towards the big gates at Roundhay Park and keep on in the same direction. This end of Street Lane is uphill too, but levels off soon enough, and the route stays that way until that deceptive descent away from Slaid Hill on the way to Wike. Beyond Wike there are a couple more whizzy bits on the way to East Keswick, I may have mentioned that I like this road.

The clock in the wall is still keeping time, and I noticed in passing that the cottage whose wall the clock lives in has a name. Which I did not stop to read, but I did find a photo I took in 2016.

East Keswick Potts.jpg

More village yet to climb out of before reaching the A659 and turning right to Collingham. A left turn by the school there takes me to Linton Bridge and that steep few yards into Linton itself. Next is Wetherby and a stop by the town hall to fuel the body. That place is always busy, but the A58 provides one way out of there, back to Collingham. I did not quite cross my earlier track, I turned left onto Jewitt Lane to enjoy the climb to Compton Lane. And my second wonderful road of the day, through East Rigton to the top of Milner Lane on the way to Thorner.

Sandhills was the way out I chose today, then Skeltons Lane and Red Hall lane to the A58 yet again. And then down that hill to turn right and pass the other gates Roundhay Park has, and shortly after the clock at Oakwood is passed again. A two Pott’s Clock ride! Home from here is easy and downhill, and once reached, warm as well. Thirty three miles and just over 2000 feet of uphill. And a smile as well for a good pedal around.

The way it all went . . .

05032021.jpg

0503elev.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John B and I met up for a socially distanced one. He lead me out over the common and on around the southern end of the Hills. The wild daffs are beginning to show in the woods below Brooms Green. We crossed to Much Marcle and rode the flanks of the Marcles to turn at Trumpet for Ashperton. We turned before that village on a little used lane to pass through Bosbury. John took us by Mathon and Colwall for the climb of The Wyche to get us home. Good ride and catch up. 41 smiles

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having missed out yesterday I aimed to do a longer ride today which would get my mileage for the week over the ton. The mist from last time has gone but it was a bit overcast and the wind feels even more bitter despite temperatures being much the same.

I headed over Lyth Hill to start (popular with the walkers as usual) and dropped down to Annscroft where I enjoyed the pleasure of the temporary lights being on green as I approached and staying that way so I didn't have to slow down.^_^ Next I took a little detour heading along the Plealey road for a bit before taking a left and heading back towards Longden. Here a rider overtook me as though I was stood still, but then dropped back to more or less my speed as the road climbed so I kept up into the village where a right then a left took me along Summerhouse Lane to Long Lane before I headed for Stapleton.

I had to wait for traffic before crossing the A49 (that guy in the souped-up Focus was never doing 50 :headshake:) to head for Gonsal, Ryton, Wheathall, Berriewood and Condover. The cold weather was getting to me through my three fleeces and I contemplated cutting it short, but then considered that I might kick myself later for doing that so carried on along Lyons Lane to Berrington and Cross Houses. The A458 was a bit busier than I've been used to of late so I was glad to turn off towards Cound Stank, Cound (the cross of St. Piran was the flag du jour) and climbed up through Harnage.

After Harnage (avoiding the walkers) I turned onto the long straight to Cound Moor and picked up a decent tailwind which by now was very welcome and helped to Acton Burnell and Longnor. It was a cross-wind on the lane to Ryton and Condover again then helped on the way up to Little Lyth (I needed to add a bit of mileage to be sure of getting the distance I wanted).

I'll admit that I was flagging towards the end of this one - partly due to feeling the cold through all my layers and partly because I have lost fitness from limiting how far I go from home.

35.3 miles for this one at 12.5 mph average. A few more riders out than I'd expected and a reasonable number of people walking too.

Just the one snaphot today, taken from Lyons Lane:

Top Bottom