Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Made the most of an afternoon off work, taking hours back, to get my March Half Century Challenge ride in and I picked a route with some proper climbing, for the first time in a while. Quite a bit of new territory for me as well.

It was bitterly cold out, but at least very little wind, as I set out through Meole Village, Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft. I then turned off to Arscott and down to Lea Cross, before crossing the A483 and joining Hinton Lane, for the start of the roads I’d not cycled before. There was a lot of mud and water along there, though and so I was quite glad to get to Pontesbury and some drier roads.

I only had a short section in the village, before turning up Habberley Rd, for the first time and the climb up to the village. It’s not a particularly steep climb, but it is quite lengthy and has nice views of Earls Hill looming above.

At Habberley, I turned onto the lanes that pass the nearby Eastridge Woods mountain bike centre, before turning off onto more new roads, along the Gatten Valley. The proper climbing started here and it’s a long steep pull all the way along there, onto cattle grid lanes, but beautiful views in all directions. The valley is famous for daffodils, but I’m a bit early for that yet!

I did however come across a group of 5 adults who had parked in the car park for the daffodil field and decided to break most Covid rules in one go. They were sat down by the stream, having a proper picnic, with hampers, wine bottles, beer cans, etc, a camp fire going, you name it :thumbsdown:

View towards Wales

Looking up at the Stiperstones

After the summit, I began to drop down towards Ratlinghope and came across a road closed sign! There was no way I was turning back and so decided to crack on and see what the issue was. After a while, I came across a number of potholes that had been filled in and then saw orange flashing lights ahead, coming up behind 2 council chaps in a truck, who were carrying out the work. They were very friendly and allowed me to walk the bike through. Had a good chat to them first, they were moaning they’d had no dinner and said their job is never ending at the moment. I felt like saying that if they did better long term repairs, rather than just filling them in, that they’d have less work to do, but though better of it!!

There is a short steep fast descent to Ratlinghope, sadly no pub stop at one of my favourites though, of course, before I started more new roads, up the first part of Cothercott Hill, then branching off onto the steepest part of the ride, up Thresholds, just down from the Longmynd. It’s a gradient arrow climb and my legs were burning, by the time I got to the summit, at 1397 feet. Great views though.

I was looking forward to the next 6 miles, which were pretty much all downhill, to Picklescott, along Pease Lane to Wilderley, then down to Stapleton. It was certainly relief for the legs, but the air was absolutely freezing cold and I’d lost most feeling in my face, by the time I’d got to dads, where I called in for a chat and a warm up.

The journey home was on familiar roads, but tired legs and so not particularly fast, through Gonsal, Condover, Betton Abbots and home.

32.43 miles, with 2270 ft of climbing and a snail pace 10.7mph avg. One to try again on a warmer sunny day, when the daffodils are out and viewable.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Made the most of an afternoon off work, taking hours back, to get my March Half Century Challenge ride in and I picked a route with some proper climbing, for the first time in a while. Quite a bit of new territory for me as well.

It was bitterly cold out, but at least very little wind, as I set out through Meole Village, Hook-a-Gate and Annscroft. I then turned off to Arscott and down to Lea Cross, before crossing the A483 and joining Hinton Lane, for the start of the roads I’d not cycled before. There was a lot of mud and water along there, though and so I was quite glad to get to Pontesbury and some drier roads.

I only had a short section in the village, before turning up Habberley Rd, for the first time and the climb up to the village. It’s not a particularly steep climb, but it is quite lengthy and has nice views of Earls Hill looming above.
View attachment 577181

At Habberley, I turned onto the lanes that pass the nearby Eastridge Woods mountain bike centre, before turning off onto more new roads, along the Gatten Valley. The proper climbing started here and it’s a long steep pull all the way along there, onto cattle grid lanes, but beautiful views in all directions. The valley is famous for daffodils, but I’m a bit early for that yet!

I did however come across a group of 5 adults who had parked in the car park for the daffodil field and decided to break most Covid rules in one go. They were sat down by the stream, having a proper picnic, with hampers, wine bottles, beer cans, etc, a camp fire going, you name it :thumbsdown:

View towards Wales
View attachment 577182

Looking up at the Stiperstones
View attachment 577183

After the summit, I began to drop down towards Ratlinghope and came across a road closed sign! There was no way I was turning back and so decided to crack on and see what the issue was. After a while, I came across a number of potholes that had been filled in and then saw orange flashing lights ahead, coming up behind 2 council chaps in a truck, who were carrying out the work. They were very friendly and allowed me to walk the bike through. Had a good chat to them first, they were moaning they’d had no dinner and said their job is never ending at the moment. I felt like saying that if they did better long term repairs, rather than just filling them in, that they’d have less work to do, but though better of it!!

There is a short steep fast descent to Ratlinghope, sadly no pub stop at one of my favourites though, of course, before I started more new roads, up the first part of Cothercott Hill, then branching off onto the steepest part of the ride, up Thresholds, just down from the Longmynd. It’s a gradient arrow climb and my legs were burning, by the time I got to the summit, at 1397 feet. Great views though.
View attachment 577186

View attachment 577187

View attachment 577188

View attachment 577189

I was looking forward to the next 6 miles, which were pretty much all downhill, to Picklescott, along Pease Lane to Wilderley, then down to Stapleton. It was certainly relief for the legs, but the air was absolutely freezing cold and I’d lost most feeling in my face, by the time I’d got to dads, where I called in for a chat and a warm up.

The journey home was on familiar roads, but tired legs and so not particularly fast, through Gonsal, Condover, Betton Abbots and home.

32.43 miles, with 2270 ft of climbing and a snail pace 10.7mph avg. One to try again on a warmer sunny day, when the daffodils are out and viewable.
Knowing a lot of those climbs: :bravo:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I've had a week off work but was too busy to fit in a ride until today. My planned circuit changed en route due to the A708 being closed, I turned south instead and went over the Woll for the second time this year. I don't know if it was the cold (4C) or yesterday's CV19 jag but it felt very tough. I'm still gobsmacked by this week's find detailed on this thread so briefly tried using only a 54" gear, then stopped moaning and used them all from 28" to 110". :rolleyes:
Only one photo stop as it was too cold, first pic is towards the snow covered Cheviot on the horizon -

Then from the same spot looking south west towards Ruberslaw -

I did stop once more, in Melrose, to take a photo of a dangerous pot hole and while stopped noticed something stuck to my front tyre. Closer inspection showed a huge hawthorn stuck in the tyre. I resisted the temptation to pull it out instead gingerly riding the three miles home and took a pic in the comfort of my garage.

That is going to go POP when I pull it out. :sad:

Edit: It didn't pop as the tyre had mostly deflated overnight.

Today's map-

1614978391261.png

35.1 miles @ 12.9 mph, 735m upwards.

Last edited:
A quick ride today, whose only aim was to reach double figures. Stopped to chat to a guy who was feeling his way around NCN27 in prep for a go at Devon C2C.
Differrent route today insofar as I took a loop north aout of Tavistock to Pitts Cleeve, then up and back along 27 to town, then continued along 270 as usual. Turn-around point at southern end of Gem Bridge. Quite quiet on the way out to Pitts Cleeve, but got busier quickly. On the back road above Kelly College, I rode toward two women deep in conversation, facing me, yet despite lights, bell and bright clothing, they didn't notice until I slowed to squeeze past, eliciting a surprised squeak.

On the return, I caught up with a couple I'd passed as they zoomed back across Gem Bridge. I was behind them nearly all the way home, and once again I was confounded by the fact that I didn't seem to need to pedal as much as they did, at any point. On gentle down slopes, they were pedalling and I was coasting and gaining on them! Weird...
Average up a bit due to the faster road section at the beginning. Weather lovely, but nippy.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Out today in the cold with my lad. I've recently discovered a website that details lots of hidden places around here, old buildings and abandoned military sites amongst others so, what better excuse to go for a ride and an explore. We set off into the woods parallel to the river and rode along chatting away and enjoying the solitude.

Stopping for snacks and consulting the information boards along the way helps to break the ride up and keep track of how far we have to go.

Breaking free of the woods and riding parallel to the fields for a short while, the wind is really raw and cuts through, the temperature is hovering around 3 degrees and it feels much lower. Getting back under the shelter of the trees is welcome and before long we come to a small marker on the side of the track. I'd passed this way so many times and not noticed this innocuous looking post before. However, thanks to the website, I know knew that it was an indicator of what lay a few metres away in the wood. Traipsing through the undergrowth we came across the concrete ruins, as well as old drainage/water connections and some strange mounds, sheltering bunkers underneath.

Allegedly these were two holiday houses built illegally in the forest and upon discovery by the authorities were torn down. Why they had underground bunkers is not clear though! After a short break and a scurry around the ruins, we set off again to find another ruin in the forest. Less than a kilometre away over some fun single track we came across the old brick factory. The factory dates from around 1900 and was only in business for a few short years.

All around there are small mounds and bays built of brick. The main building is an empty shell and used by local kids for graffiti practice.

After a good explore we turn around and head towards home. He starts to flag as the cold and hunger coupled with the long ride start to slow him down. So it was out with the Towwhee and for the next few kilometres I tow him along behind me and his spirits revive.

After a short break, I unhook him from his tow and we ride solo for the last kilometres home for a deserved rest and large helping of lunch. A shade over 20 kilometres of riding and exploring, a great start to the weekend.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Lovely if chilly family ride to our favourite cycling cafe which has reopened! My son rode my road bike - he looks better on it than I do, darn him! Good coffee and a little cupcake to get me back up the big Alton Barnes hill and then home to sit in bed and watch Strade Bianche on my new GCN subscription! I LOVE riding with my husband and son, it makes me so happy!
0CDB9CB9-E670-4682-9702-AD58D48F7608.jpeg

Attachments

• 5BD7924D-4F09-4FC0-8659-37B41D7353B0.jpeg
    5BD7924D-4F09-4FC0-8659-37B41D7353B0.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 2

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Very weary now after the longest ride of the year so far :okay: and with a friend :okay::okay:

Up the Cat and Fiddle to start with, then over Axe Edge and down to Glutton Bridge.

Then over to Chelmorton and down the lovely descent to Millers Dale. There's a very steep alternative to the main road up to Tideswell, so what could we do?

Coffee and a cake in Tideswell, but couldn't stop long, absolutely frigid cold all day. So down the fantastic descent to Bradwell then up the lovely little back road to Bamford with the river by our side. Now the main event, the climb of Snake Pass from Ladybower, the reservoir full to the brim and resplendent in the calm weather. I've never climbed the Snake from this direction before, and it was a bit dull if the truth be told, with sadly too many knobheads in German cars or on Japanese motorbikes.

The descent of the Snake, though, made it worthwhile, a splendiferous view of the Western Peak and Manchester beyond, now in sunshine, and steep enough to be fast, but no brakes needed. Quite perfect.

A few more hills followed, which the mask of pain I was wearing by then makes their memory but dim.

75 miles, 2000m climbing. Now completely jiggered.

theloafer

Legendary Member
it looked warmer than i was :laugh: but stuck with it as the old legs need the miles ... just my normal lockdown route very quiet lanes. came across a peacock :ohmy:

had hoped the bridge at Whorlton had been reopened as the sign at to top of the bank had been removed :laugh::laugh::sad:

so had back track to A67 then on to Winston then on to eppleby for coffee and scone. then headed for home the scenic route as to get 40+miles in :laugh:
Lunch Ride | Ride | Strava

18 miler today, no pics, but good to get out in the chilly sun. It seemed a lot more springlike last week to be honest. I was initially looking at a 30 mile ride but after about 10 i was getting quite cold so did the sensible thing. Even so, thats about a dozen rides so far since new year, so relatively pleased with that :okay:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I took Pasty #7 The Brompton for a spin around Ipswich this morning. It was made even more enjoyable by the fact that after about six years of a tension in my neck akin to that which entices me to 'crack' my knuckles to relieve it, a slight twist on awakening caused an effect in my neck vertebrae similar to a glissando on a xylophone. :blink: This now means I can turn my head further around for that Life-Saving Check before any manoeuvre. I feel like an owl!
This at the docks.

P1010619.JPG

Top Bottom