Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndreaJ

Veteran
After waiting for the frost and mist to clear it was a lovely sunny morning although still a bit cool when I left. I set off to Wolverley turning down the newly resurfaced lane to Loppington, Brown Heath, English Frankton and up to Colemere taking the lane past the sailing club and car park which was very busy again into Lyneal. Turned towards Newton Mere onto the Ellesmere road back to Welshampton where I wanted to see if the lane by the school was still closed due to the flooding- it is still closed so will avoid that for a while, carried on to Hampton Wood, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood turning towards home but carried on through to Whixall and Alkington, over the canal to Fenns Bank back to the crossroads to Hollinswood, Coton, Edstaston, Foxholes back to Northwood and home. 32.3 miles, lots of people about enjoying the sunshine.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
After waiting for the frost and mist to clear it was a lovely sunny morning although still a bit cool when I left. I set off to Wolverley turning down the newly resurfaced lane to Loppington, Brown Heath, English Frankton and up to Colemere taking the lane past the sailing club and car park which was very busy again into Lyneal. Turned towards Newton Mere onto the Ellesmere road back to Welshampton where I wanted to see if the lane by the school was still closed due to the flooding- it is still closed so will avoid that for a while, carried on to Hampton Wood, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield, Northwood turning towards home but carried on through to Whixall and Alkington, over the canal to Fenns Bank back to the crossroads to Hollinswood, Coton, Edstaston, Foxholes back to Northwood and home. 32.3 miles, lots of people about enjoying the sunshine.
View attachment 576347

View attachment 576348

View attachment 576349

View attachment 576350

Beautiful avenue. Might I ask where?

gavgav

Guru
I’d arranged to meet up with my mate Paul, for a ride and woke to another beautiful sunny morning, but frosty and cold, so plenty of layers needed to start.

Headed up to Paul’s house and he said he fancied a ride In Nesscliffe direction, but wanted to see a pub he’d been recommended, at Pentre, called the Royal Hill. It’s closed, of course, but having been there before, myself and enjoyed it immensely, was happy to take him that way and show him where it is, for us to call there in the summer, fingers crossed.

We left Shrewsbury via Bicton and Montford Bridge, quiet on what can be a busy road, which was nice and then joined more quiet lanes to Shrawardine, plus what must be the best surfaced road in Shropshire, a tiny lane that runs alongside Nesscliffe MOD training camp. Better than any main roads and must have been paid for by the locals?!

From there we turned to Pentre and arrived at the Royal Hill, where Paul fell in love with the pub and its setting, next to the River Severn. On a nice sunny day, it can’t be beaten, needs to be a bit warmer to sit outside there though!

View to the Breiddens from the pub.

If we’d tried to cycle down there, a couple of weeks ago, we’d have been in a deep flood and there was plenty of evidence of where the river had been, with debris strewn across hedgerows, verges and roads, including the lane to Edgerley, which I’d intended to take us down, but was properly closed and still flooded!

We instead took the lane that cuts off Melverley village, which also had road closed/flood signs, but no cones and so we risked it. Covered in sand and stones but a couple of cyclists coming the other way confirmed it was ok, but we needed to watch out for where the road had given way and they weren’t wrong, half the road had disappeared!

We arrived at Crosslanes and took the road up to Argoed, where Paul was amazed by the World War 2 ammunition bunkers, top secret until the 1950’s when they were decommissioned. The road from Kinnerley to Dovaston and across the old and new A5’s were busier and then we followed lanes to Hopton, to find the one we were intending to take closed for roadworks. So, in Hopton village we paused to look at the map and decided to climb up the side of the Cliffe, which is a steep pull. I arrived at the top, but Paul had disappeared, so I paused in the car park for walkers, and he eventually appeared, walking his bike up the hill!

To be fair, he’d not done this sort of distance for a few years and so was doing very well, but the descent down to Little Ness and Adcote, was most welcome. I must admit that I’ve not done 2 consecutive days of longer rides, since last summer and could feel my legs were tiring now as well. I did pause at Forton, to finally shed a layer, as it had warmed up a little bit.

The climb back up towards Bicton, was hard going, into the gentle easterly breeze, before we turned along Calcot Lane and through Gains Park, where Paul headed up to his allotment, as his wife was spending the morning up there.

I went through Mytton Oak new estate and along Mousecroft Lane, through Meole Village, where just as I was about to turn towards the roundabout, saw a cyclist coming out from Upper Road.......thinking to myself I am sure that’s @Rickshaw Phil but he was just too far away to be certain, or catch up. A text, after arriving home confirms it was!

The sort of perfect fabulous bike ride that makes you realise why cycling is so great. Good company, beautiful sunshine, traffic all well behaved without exception and lovely scenery. Loads of cyclists out, the most I’ve seen since last summer.

33.74 miles

colly

Re member eR
Some cracking ride and photos posted since I last looked in. :okay:

Over a week since I was last out because apart from 'duties' I managed to talk myself into some work. I can hear myself saying 'OK well I can do that for you' while at the same time I was thinking.....'say no, say NO, you don't need to'.
So when I wasn't busy with other stuff I was back working and it seemed to take up all my spare time, this coming week it probably will too. I thought I had dropped the idea of agreeing to do work for people but it seems old habits die hard. I am getting paid for it so it's not all bad.
This morning I was up shortly after 6.15am and by the time I had got myself sorted I was out for about 6.40am. Well wrapped up because the Met Office said zero degrees and I needed it for sure.
I had started work in the garden yesterday and I knew today was going to be fine so rather than a long ride wearing myself out I opted for a short sharp hour of local roads. (seems to be the pattern just now)
Up and down and round and about, and I must have been putting in the effort seeing as I managed two or three personal bests up various hills.
Back home and showered in time to get out into the garden and get on with putting some new veg boxes.

15.7 miles and 1300 ft of upness.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/63179273

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some belated ride reports:
Friday: It was a really lovely sunny day and I did intend to head out t enjoy it but unfortunately things got in the way so it turned into another evening ride. I did the longer version of my Condover - Longnor - Acton Burnell - Harnage - Berrington - Condover route and set out into a clear evening with the fading remains of the sunset on one side of me and the moon lighting up the countryside on the other.

I did wonder whether a Friday evening would be busier for traffic and it was a little bit at the start (suspicious about the one vehicle, loaded as if the driver was visiting for the weekend) but once past Ryton it quietened down nicely and I enjoyed a nicely uneventful trip.

In the first and the last mile there were a handful of people out walking but for all the rest of the trip the only person I could say hello to was a solitary cyclist.

24.1 miles at 13.2 mph average.

Saturday and Sunday mornings I only managed a couple of utility rides which I did extend slightly for variety, covering approx 6 and 7 miles respectively. @gavgav saw me heading home on the Sunday one - sorry I didn't spot you and pause to say hello.

Sunday afternoon was lovely so I made the most of it by heading out over Lyth Hill (busy up here again) to Condover, Berriewood, Wheathall, Gonsal, Stapleton, Exford's Green (the long way), Annscroft and returning over Lyth Hill again. It's not quite shorts and t-shirt weather yet but felt nicely spring-like which made the trip a real joy. A good lot of other cyclists out and about and plenty of walkers too. Shame the drivers on the second climb over Lyth Hill were a little bit impatient.

I slightly extended the ride at the end, rounding the mileage up to 17.1 miles at 12.4 mph average.

More of a spring-like look to some of the fields near Stapleton.

Not all the fields are green yet though. Looking towards Lyth Hill.

A couple of views from the top of Lyth Hill.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
After some transmission work on the bike it was sensible to give it a test. What a difference a new chain and cassette makes. The chainring also needs to be replaced but hasn't arrived from the shop yet. Nevertheless I coped with the knackered middle ring and enjoyed this run clockwise (for a change) around the Hill. Just some small adjustments needed for near perfection. 37 smiles.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I hadn’t intended to do a longish ride yesterday – it just happened – a planned 27km ride became a 51km ride.

I was exhausted today so I thought it would definitely be just a short one .. but no … something kicked in when I was on the D13 travelling S from Ville Trémal towards Guilliers, so I carried on S to Loyat, then back N on the Voie Verte to Mauron.

I popped into the LBS in Mauron to talk about getting a new wheel for the Sensium 300 (photo of the bike from today on the Voie Verte is below) – and it’s a maybe .. bike supplies are hard to get – and new bikes are impossible (I placed an order in October last year for a carbon MTB – it was due 15 December, and I’m still waiting….).

I got home 10 minutes before the start of the National Curfew (I cut that a bit fine). .. and today’s short ride ended up as 53km… just can’t afford to waste this wonderful weather...

Only a couple of short rides today, 2 totalling 6 miles with car service/MOT for work, and then a quick(ish) 7 miler across to Bognor Regis, whilst tea was cooking.
Despite low miles, it all adds up to my virtual LeJog, so now I’m 119 miles in, approaching Topsham.
It’s great to try and motivate oneself, whichever results in being on the bike is always worthwhile.
B8C6BC6D-B6EA-4EE5-818F-734CE9A5B39F.jpeg

This image from the work ride, in Ferring, West Sussex, it was nice to have the Brompton to aid the car transfer.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hardly any wind so went to the coast on a big loop via Morpeth,, Longhirst, Lynton, Newbiggin, Blyth, Seaton Sluice, Backworth, Gosforth and home... 96 km but not intentionally- 23kph but so tired when I got home I couldn’t get off my bike straightaway. Fish n chips for tea so worth it! [Won’t be doing that again for a month or two!]

A misty view of the 'new' north Morpeth bypass link - not a car in sight.

Attachments

• 9C432A6B-D0B1-452F-A11C-34315BCC6A39.jpeg
    9C432A6B-D0B1-452F-A11C-34315BCC6A39.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1
  • F5EC4834-D515-472B-96FE-78F15E7E4A6E.jpeg
    F5EC4834-D515-472B-96FE-78F15E7E4A6E.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 2F1DB6A0-34FD-4DE1-8AD5-D970A64149E3_4_5005_c.jpeg
    2F1DB6A0-34FD-4DE1-8AD5-D970A64149E3_4_5005_c.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Much cooler this morning and the sun seems to have disappeared. As it’s the 1st day of the month I thought I would get a ride in for the 50km a month challenge. Started off to Northwood through to Edstaston onto the road into Wem, over the railway crossing past the cricket club to Aston. The flooding here had gone just a few puddles left, turned to Barkers Green, back towards Wem into Tilley, Myddle and Burlton. Turned off to Marton, Weston Lullingfields. There were 2 foals out with their mums at the stud farm in Bagley, one of them was having fun cantering round the field. Carried on to Hordley, Tetchill, Lee past Whitemere to Spunhill and up by the nature reserve to Colemere. Down the very rough lane to Lyneal, Northwood and home. 34.9 miles, lots of people walking and lots of horse riders but not many cyclists. No pictures today. Everywhere is much drier now and it’s nice to get home not covered in mud.

Top Bottom