Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Had my first ride today since hanging up the bike Oct last year.
Tara the doggy and I set off through the estate and into Moss Bank Park and was thoroughly enjoying it until some ***hole beeped at me because she couldn't get past. I'm doing 5mph with Tara on her bike lead, cars parked on the right side of the park lane and an 8ft brick wall on my left. I stopped the bike, looked behind and shouted "What?"
She motioned for me to move to the right to let her squeeze by. I shouted back "Wait!"
I carried on and soon as a gap in the parked cars appeared she floored it to get past me, forcing pedestrians and dog walkers to dart off the road. Unbelievable :cursing:
It's no wonder people are put off cycling.
Tara and I continued around the park into Barrow Bridge village and alongside the riverside trail. Stopped at the far end steps and Tara wandered off exploring for a bit.
Off home again and took the climb up Cinder Lane into the estate. A quarter of the way up I could hear a car coming up behind us. Here we go again I thought. But no, in complete contrast to earlier, this nice gentleman waited and crawled up a good 10ft behind me as we made our way to the top at a painfully slow 2mph. When I saw a gap on the left I pulled in, waved him by and gave him a thumbs up as he passed. He returned with a hand up gesture. Just as it should be. When we rode further on he'd turned around to park outside his house and getting out of his car he smiled at me and I thanked him for waiting. I got a "you're welcome" nod of the head.
Why can't all drivers be like that? It really perked up my day 😊
Tara looked like I felt when we got home, knackered.
No idea how far we went or how long we were out as I'd forgotten to reset the Garmin since last year. Doesn't matter, enjoyed it :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Steve E got me out. Nice bit of lockdown company. We took to Leigh Sinton for a fairly standard (for me anyway) run around to Cradley. Steve's plan was Mathon and the Wyche Cutting which we did after take away coffee in Colwall. Nice wee one. 23 smiles

gavgav

Guru
A beautiful sunny morning, so I got out for a ride, after finishing my on call stint. Very little wind, but still cold and needed layers.

Headed through Betton Abbots and down to Berrington, where I found a pillock in an Audi turning into the road completely on my side. The lane to Eaton Mascott was its usual muddy self, then took the lane to Cound and onto Evenwood. Came across a group of 4 women (against the rules) walking towards me, filling the road and I’m thinking surely they’ll move over....no, I have to come to a stop and then they finally begrudgingly walk either side of me, not socially distanced, with their stuck up noses in the air, no acknowledgement, they got one from me and it wasn’t polite.

Continued on to Acton Burnell, passing Concord College, still lots of water up there, but at least the flood has receded enough to show some tarmac. In Acton Burnell, I’m approaching the sharp right hand bend, my right of way, van comes down from the Ruckley road, waits at the junction and then decided to pull out in front of me, just as I get there. Idiot.

A fair bit of traffic around on the road to Frodesley and Longnor, but at least finally some who knew how to drive. Turned North again to Ryton, quite wet along that lane, but again the floods have receded a bit. From Ryton I climbed up to Dad’s and called to eat my lunch and have a chat.

Set back out and through Exfords Green, to Annscroft and Hook a Gate, nice and quiet along there for a change, before going through Meole Village and down to the island. I’m waiting at the crossing point, next to the left hand traffic light, leaving at least 3 metres for anyone to pass me on my right.....when a runner darts across in front of the traffic and literally squeezes between me and the traffic light, about 2 inches from me. I shouted to them as to whether they had lost the use of their eyes. No response.

Despite the morons it was a nice enjoyable ride and drier roads for some of the route. 24.16 miles at 11.9mph avg. Lots of cyclists and horse & riders about today as well.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Glorious day! My longest ride of the year (for several years actually) at 35 miles in glorious sunshine! Marlborough to Hungerford and back. And to top it off, I had the company of my gorgeous boy! It was his longest ever ride and he crushed it! Fantastic attitude and vastly improved road sense! I can’t sit down but I’m very very happy!

Attachments

• 911FA3E9-BD7D-4A17-A2C9-E3622D107DED.jpeg
    911FA3E9-BD7D-4A17-A2C9-E3622D107DED.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1DA24ECC-56BA-40B2-850F-73E7034C6EDC.jpeg
    1DA24ECC-56BA-40B2-850F-73E7034C6EDC.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 1

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
An amazing, wonderful spring day that makes me full of joy to be alive.

So, out with the tandem and decided a proper expedition was essential to make the most of it. Stayed on the flat to get the winter cobwebs out of the legs.

Crocuses, a sparrowhawk, buzzards a- plenty, tree creepers and wall to wall sunshine ensued.

Managed 60 miles in the end, Rostherne/Pickmere/Davenham/Hassal Green/Swettenham/Jodrell Bank/Warford for those familiar with the Cheshire Plain.

Now in crisis, rugby starts in 5 and have run out of beer :eek:

First ride since 25 January, all sorts of shenanigans 'twixt then and now, including briefly moving out of the house with 2/3rds of our possessions while floors and carpets renewed. A new car. Absolutely awful weather. Then, a really nice day, and I have to spend it driving to Bristol and back for some spinal imaging. But another really nice day today, so...
Just the usual pootle to Leg O' Mutton, and boy, did I notice I haven't done this for a bit! On the Scott this time, and needed to call on Granny once or twice...
Stats:

And a picture! Camera took just this one, then refused to play. Grenofen Tunnel, north end, sunshine.

As is usual at the moment, it's still fairly muddy underfoot, so great speed neither needed or a good idea. Especially wet and muddy on NCN270, the Viaduct Walk out of Tavistock, as the sun rarely gets in there, and there's a fair bit of runoff still. So, dirty bike again...
:biggrin:

Last edited:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Another beautiful day here today, the sort of day you feel sorry for anyone without access to a bike!

Burwell Fen. Still a little damp but luckily the cycle path has dried out a bit.

Some of my favourite tracks are rideable now again after winter which is a huge relief for me to be able to get away from bloody drivers.

I watched the sunset from the bird hide on Tubney Fen.

Getting chilly by now I headed home and was rewarded with a great view of a barn owl just a few yards away near Swaffham Prior- though was too slow to the camera to get a photo.

It was only when I got home and looked at my cateye I saw I’d just hit exactly 40,000 miles on the current steed. Can’t think of a better day‘s ride to get there. 17 miles in total today.

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Had my first ride today since hanging up the bike Oct last year.
Tara the doggy and I set off through the estate and into Moss Bank Park and was thoroughly enjoying it until some ***hole beeped at me because she couldn't get past. I'm doing 5mph with Tara on her bike lead, cars parked on the right side of the park lane and an 8ft brick wall on my left. I stopped the bike, looked behind and shouted "What?"
She motioned for me to move to the right to let her squeeze by. I shouted back "Wait!"
I carried on and soon as a gap in the parked cars appeared she floored it to get past me, forcing pedestrians and dog walkers to dart off the road. Unbelievable :cursing:
It's no wonder people are put off cycling.
Tara and I continued around the park into Barrow Bridge village and alongside the riverside trail. Stopped at the far end steps and Tara wandered off exploring for a bit.
Off home again and took the climb up Cinder Lane into the estate. A quarter of the way up I could hear a car coming up behind us. Here we go again I thought. But no, in complete contrast to earlier, this nice gentleman waited and crawled up a good 10ft behind me as we made our way to the top at a painfully slow 2mph. When I saw a gap on the left I pulled in, waved him by and gave him a thumbs up as he passed. He returned with a hand up gesture. Just as it should be. When we rode further on he'd turned around to park outside his house and getting out of his car he smiled at me and I thanked him for waiting. I got a "you're welcome" nod of the head.
Why can't all drivers be like that? It really perked up my day 😊
Tara looked like I felt when we got home, knackered.
No idea how far we went or how long we were out as I'd forgotten to reset the Garmin since last year. Doesn't matter, enjoyed it :smile:

We need a photo of Tara

geocycle

Legendary Member
Decent ride of 40 miles over to Beacon Fell in Ribble Valley. Quite a few short hills with a short 30% gradient testing the traction control. But only 860m of climbing which surprised me a bit. Cool and cloudy to start with but sun came out later. Loads of cyclists of all shapes and sizes and rural car parks packed. Took a flask as didn’t expect to find a cafe, however, came across an artisan market in Cockerham. Not sure quite how all the stalls qualified as essential but was a nice reminder of what we are missing And what we have to look forward to again.

Not feeling wonderful today - I'm blaming the vaccine

so it was no surprise that I was feeling difficulty keeping up to a normal speed in a normal gear
until I realised my ebike was in no assist mode as I had been following some slow riders yesterday on the way home and I knocked it off

I was much better when I knocked it on again!!!

Anyway - managed a decent loop though Moore although FAR too many people at time - hence very little interesting wildlife

but - after loosing a bar end plug AND a rear light yesterday - I did manage to do a whole ride and return with all the same bits I started with

Mike_P

Guru
First outing for the Defy this year and quickly back home as their were a couple of loose bolts on its new mudguards seriously rattling. There should be another bolt to preclude any rattles from but another mudguard bridge is needed so currently a non rattling but definitely bodged cable tie does the requisite trick. The first down hill showed some tweaking of the mudguards were needed during which the chain decided to jump off the rear cogs:angry: Eventually made it to the A59 where the new roundabout has at last been properly surfaced and headed west on a pretty quite A road

Turned south east up Burley Bank and then right onto Penny Pot. Another cyclist was heading west - I turned well in front and was quickly overtaken. It was busy eastbound with cyclists while westbound was a bit more of a slog than the "gentle winds" weather forecast had implied, and all eight of the wind turbine at Knabbs Ridge were active, think they must have meant "gentler winds". Made it to the end of the lane without any more overtakes.

North on the B6451 crossing over the A59 at the delightfully named Dangerous Corner and then around three boundaries of RAF Menwith Hill:ph34r:
Left onto the A59 and almost immediately right off to head back to Penny Pot. A queue had now formed of vehicles for the lockdown entertainment venue of a recycling site.
North back to the A59 via the decent of the middle Oaker Bank and the ascent of the northern one which was done in my same fastest time for the third time.

Turning off the A59 at the new roundabout I slowed out of habit for a now non-existent bump up. 16.96 miles and 820ft climbed
Putting the Defy in the shed with the ebike left outside obviously annoyed it as it fell over three times as soon as shut the door - no doubt more tweaking of the mudguards will be needed.
The ebike was the means of travel to the CV19 vaccination centre at the showground but that was not unproblematic, its been making some strange noises which seem to be down to a rusty chain; had not noticed it due to it being largely encased by a "Chain glider" chain guard but the consequence was chain guard being dislocated (presumably by stiff links) and ending up tangled with the chain. Chain guard parts put in the rucksack and made it the vaccination centre with time to spare. After waiting the post vaccination 15 minutes quickly down showground hill in a new PR for some shopping in Sainsburys - its useful with a rucksack to use a hand scanner and bag stuff straight into the rucksack so no danger of not being able to pack everything. Back home inspected the chain guard and it now resident in the refuse wheelie bin. New chain and chainring bolt fitted chain guard ordered. 9.92 miles with 654ft upwards. And I found out my ebike KoM up the steep climb of Cornwall Road had been beaten by "Lance Armstrong":cursing:

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There was no way I was going to miss out on a ride on a day like today with bright sunshine & light winds, so I took the Pickenflick flatbar out for only the 2nd time this year.

Out through Levington & Nacton into Ipswich, then a bit of a ride around the docks/marina area looking at the various vessels/yachts/gin palaces tied up, while trying to avoid the masses of people out enjoying the conditions
Thames Barge.JPG
Then a bit of a diversion along Portman Road and past
ITFC.JPG
before heading out of town, under the A14 and out to Claydon via Sproughton & Bramford with a quick snack stop at my favourite spot on Paper Mill Lane
Paper Mill Lane.JPG
Not being on a narrow tyred road bike meant that I could take the Restricted Byway shortcut from Claydon to the road to Westerfield and a standard return home through Rushmere and Bucklesham. I thought last week was busy, but I don't think I've seen so many people out on foot or bike since the height of the first lockdown.
Screenshot_2021-02-27 Soaking in the sunshine Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2021-02-27 Soaking in the sunshine Ride Strava(1).png

a.twiddler

Veteran
27/2/21
Checked the gear adjustments after the last ride and all OK. All set to keep going with no stops today to push up the mileage and average speed a bit. We will see how well that worked out!

Battered cap, shades and track mitts completed the picture. Set off into a cool but sunny afternoon full of motivation. Made good progress down the Wettenhall road, passing a few cyclists coming the other way. I haven’t been this way since last Autumn, so it’s a nice change. Pass the weathered red brick wall of Oulton Park motor racing circuit for a few hundred yards before turning off through a lesser lane. Apart from the odd cyclist there aren’t many people around. I have to negotiate a large puddle on Oulton Mill Lane before passing an immense tractor parked while its driver is talking to a passer by. Other vehicles are keen to get past me but have to wait because of the tractor. I can get past easily but some of them get on to the muddy verge in their impatience to squeeze past it, risking getting stuck.

Across the A49 at Cotebrook surprisingly easily considering it’s a fast road and a busy junction then head right for the A54. A long downhill making the most of the higher gears ready for the climb out of the dip. Surprisingly, no traffic accumulating behind me and once I have to drop into the lower gears as the climb takes its toll on my speed I can take my own time. Still getting hot though despite the cold airflow shortly before. I reach the summit and plunge back down into another big dip and get into the higher gears again before being pushed back down the gears by the climb on the other side. I hear voices then the scrub of tyres as a couple of sporty cyclists steam past standing on the pedals. By the time I reach the summit they are well ahead. I continue to the crossroads at the Fishpool Inn on the A54 and get across with no difficulties. Once I get to the next crossroads with the A556 it’s another matter and there is continuous traffic and I am dazzled by the setting sun striking through the trees on the left. I cross to the right side pavement and follow a cycle track round the corner to a crossing point at a traffic island. I get across rather untidily then follow the path round the corner in the direction I want to go in. The continuous traffic makes it difficult to cross over but eventually I turn in a house entrance, cross over and go right towards Delamere. The road rises a little then drops towards Delamere Station and I can get a bit of speed up. The Station cafe seems to be open and as I could do with a leak I turn off to see if the facilities are open. Alas, they are not and I come back out.

I find it hard to get going again and have to change down through the hub gears to be able to start. At first I think it’s just me but I get held up by traffic and find it hard to start again. Nothing obvious like a twig caught in the chain. I turn off into the forest and a friendly tree obliges me by allowing me to moisturise its bark. Once I get going again everything seems to free up. I climb up easily and down again into Hatchmere and manage to sail up the long hill on the other side. I am just looking forward to the long freewheel through Kingsley and the lanes on the other side, and starting to enjoy rolling along in high gear on the approach to Kingsley when the chain seems to bind. I stop pedalling, then gently start again when it frees. Thinking there must be a twig stuck somewhere I pedal gently again and it binds. I stop and look at the rear. I see the derailleur is curled up on itself and one of the pulleys has unscrewed itself and fallen off. That’s a new one on me. I get off and look at the road behind and there it is. No sign of the side plates, bush, or the bolt. I look at the derailleur again and see the bolt in its hole, slightly sticking out. I screw it in so that it won’t fall out and get lost, check the other pulley which is tight and look at the arm which looks undamaged. Nothing to be done about that for now.

If the Linear had a standard derailleur set up I would just shorten the chain so that I could get home using it as a single speed. As it has a hub gear + derailleur set up I can shorten the chain and use it as a 3 speed. Now, if only I’ve got my chain tool! And, of course I have. So I get off the road on to the narrow grassy verge. The road curves gently to the left here, so oncoming traffic won’t see me until they are in the bend. I push the bike up against a fence and get as close to it as possible. This Linear still has 7 speed chain technology so it’s fairly easy to work on but still not ideal by the roadside. It still takes about 40 minutes of fumbling to get it all sorted out. I take enough out of the chain to let it fit on the smaller ring on the front and on around 5th cog on the back without being too slack. I keep the removed portion with a view to re using it as the chain matches the gears for wear and if I start buying new bits I’ll end up buying the lot.

While I’m working on it cars and vans continue to whiz by. One white van beeps ostentatiously. A surprising number of assorted cyclists whir by but only one random mountain biker asks me if I’ve got everything I need. I thank him and say I’m just shortening my chain, nearly finished now. Perhaps the downhill was too good to waste? The light is beginning to fade by the time I finish so I swap my shades for clear specs and turn on my rear flashing light.

As it’s getting late, when I get to Kingsley I turn right on to Norley Road. The three gears work with no problems. They are on the low side so are all usable. There are several undulations on Norley Road on the way to Cuddington and I still have to get off and walk at one point. Generally, the simplicity is very refreshing. There are downhills as well as uphills and on one downhill I hit a jarring pothole halfway down which causes my cap to fly off. I stop rather than have to go all the way back uphill to get it. Otherwise my max speed might have been a bit higher.

Just before Cuddington I turn right on to Waste Lane which is the access to the Whitegate way. I decide that less traffic, less hills is the way to go. It’s pretty gloomy by the time I get on to the rail trail under the trees. I take a photo before I pass under the bridge that the old line used to run over. The path goes right up a steep slope beyond the bridge.

I stop for a snack before continuing. It’s quite chilly by now too. I turn on both handlebar lights which improves visibility a bit. A jogger with a headlight thumps past. The surface is a little wet but underneath it seems dry and solid. The leaf litter is pale and brown, and light reflects off the pools and meres alongside. In places there are drainage ditches which are full. There is a mysterious light reflecting from the many silver birch trees hereabouts and a faint but increasing mistiness. Water birds are audible all around though can’t be seen until I pass under the A49 when two ducks who are paddling in a pool under the bridge panic at my approach and do a vertical take off practically under my front wheel and fly straight up the other side of the bridge. There is a gradual climb along the first part of of the trail which levels off the further you go but there’s no chance of getting speed up in the dwindling light.

Shadowy shapes of bridges, old wayside huts and odd shapes of trees like lurking figures loom and pass behind as I relentlessly push the pedals. I breathe out of the side of my mouth as my breath mists my glasses in the chilly air. As I approach the vicinity of the old Whitegate station the trees fall back and there are fields either side. A huge golden orange moon appears on the left but there’s not enough light to take a photo when I try.

It’s still quite dark but the track is downhill now. After the station and car park the trail closes in but ahead I see lights and I pass some walkers who have joined from a path on the left. We are like ships that pass in the night. We see each others’ lights and acknowledge each other but can’t see details. It has been an altogether interesting, surreal experience.

Soon I reach the down ramp to Grange lane, turn right and slowly but steadily make my way to the playing fields. I trundle down the path towards the dreaded A-frame barrier and Fred Flintstone it through, then just pedal away up the hill. I pass through an estate then on to Delamere St, still infested with road works and traffic lights. I turn left to join the flow of traffic through the lights, get some speed up and get clear and pass a group of yoofs sitting on a wall. Here we go again I think, fortunately with a bit of speed now. The noise level increases and they do sound excited but I am past now.

Across the A54 roundabout, down Swanlow Lane and eventually into the front entrance so I can get the Linear into the garage the right way round. There are a few things to sort out this time. But we have gone through a trial and still got home under our own steam which is a big plus point.

Distance 26.2 miles Max 29.7 mph Average a slothful 8.5 mph.
Total Ascent:​
653​
ft​
Total Descent:
649​
ft​
Start Elevation:
186​
ft​
End Elevation:
190​
ft​