Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
Yesterday's ride. After getting my Covid injection yesterday morning it seemed to waste the rest of the good weather sitting at home and waiting for side effects! I did and anti-clockwise version of my Whitchurch ride. Most of the floods have receded, so I can now see where the big potholes are. The outward leg into a stiff cold breeze felt like hard work. However, once I reached Norbury and turned towards Marbury the wind was almost behind me. I decided not to cycle up the steep hill to Wirswall, which has a 12% gradient near the top of the climb.

I continued past Marbury Mere and began the climb towards Whitchurch. This section gains about the same altitude as the Wirswall version, but with less steep gradients. The final pull has some huge pot holes, which have been there for months. However, as I was going uphill and not speeding downhill that didn't matter. From the top of the hill, there is a pleasant downhill ride, pas the cemetery, into the outskirts of Whitchurch. I dropped into Sainsbury to get some apple juice and a snack. Cycling through the town I decided to take a small route variation and go through Edgeley. There is a short uphill section up to the Hall followed by a nice downhill cruise to the turn off towards Ash road. When I reached Ightfield I took my usual diversion to Milenheath and then back towards Moreton Say. A gradual uphill ride leads to a crossroads, followed by a steep descent to the lake at Tittentley. From there, it's a gradual ascent for the last four kilometres home.

A total of 48km and 368 metres of ascent. A good dose of wine in the evening made sure I sept through any possible vaccination side effects.

vlcsnap-2021-02-26-11h59m51s379.png

The Swan at Marbury.

vlcsnap-2021-02-26-11h58m41s313.png

Signpost needs a bit of TLC!
vlcsnap-2021-02-26-11h56m21s019.png

Wrenbury primary school. A fine bit of Victorian architecture.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2021-02-26-11h59m51s379.png
    vlcsnap-2021-02-26-11h59m51s379.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 1

theloafer

Legendary Member
first ride of 2021 :ohmy: .. sunny and bright though a little bit chilly. shortened my planned route (it was a tad ambitious).and i think the old legs were pleased :laugh::laugh: still felt great to be out and 36 miles done

Morning Ride | Ride | Strava

geocycle

Legendary Member
Nice route Spiderweb. I used to play cricket in Escrick for the village and on occasion a team called the Yorkshire Gentlemen. Unfortunately the park is now used by a public school. Nice riding through the villages around there, Wheldrake was very agricultural but has now moved up market.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Nice route Spiderweb. I used to play cricket in Escrick for the village and on occasion a team called the Yorkshire Gentlemen. Unfortunately the park is now used by a public school. Nice riding through the villages around there, Wheldrake was very agricultural but has now moved up market.
It is a lovely area to cycle, really enjoyed the ride today😀

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
At least you have got the tyres for it ^_^
I'll be going fatter. Ribbles own Q&A for the bike suggested 38c was the widest. There's easily enough room through the fork and rear triangle to run at least a 50c.

OTOH, NI isn't really known for gravelly offroad routes except the purpose trail centres - so perhaps a 38 is a happy medium for road riding linking up the forests.

bluenotebob

Veteran
A bright sunny day – 12 degrees which is OK for February – and a stiff wind from the NNE. The first 15km to Gaël were into that wind – and it was a slow ride. NW from Gaël and up to Trémorel then, finally after 25km, the wind behind me and a much easier ride SW. Home via Ville Jallu and Kerminy, and another 56km in the bag.

That’s 590km cycled in February, making it my best February so far – extra chocolate tonight…

The muddy road towards la Ville Jallu – at least the mud was dry ..

Some primroses near Kerminy. They’ve been out for about a week but this was the first time I’d passed them with my camera

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Lovely day out there. I thought I'd see how things are going so I saddled up for a short one. Things seemed to go quite well so the plan changed. Ashleworth tempted me. I waved to Richard K in the lane above Pauntley as he headed the other way. I took the Woolridge climb in to get good views to Wales and the Cotswolds. Still a goodly amount of water in the Severn Valley. Indeed down on the Hams I had to retrace as the way was barred by water. Over Wickridge Street I decided to drop off by Hasfield to get back to the Hams. A small flood was easily ridden through. I paused at Forthampton for a breather. As I rose to continue Neil W rode up. We had a good catch up as we hadn't seen each other for ages. Neil headed off to complete the last 25 of a 100 miler while I took my usual route back. I probably over did it on this one but it was a lovely day for it. We shall see. 52 smiles

1614365692108.png
1614365711884.png

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My mate Simon had the day off today, so we went for a bike ride together. Ringing the changes, we crossed the Severn and meandered around the northern (flatter) part of the Forest of Dean district. After climbing up out of Maisemore on the main road, we hung a left past Hartpury Agricultural College and carried on along quiet country lanes to the outskirts of Staunton before turning around, demolishing a packet of fig rolls between us and retracing our steps. The weather was surprisingly mild, with little wind and glorious sunshine. Spring has definitely sprung in Gloucestershire .... we even came across the first bluebells of the year, which must be at least a month early:

Everywhere you go around the Hartpury/Highleadon area you see brown signs referring to Hartpury Bee Shelter, and I've never been quite sure what that is. (Mrs Bumble's Home for Battered Bees?). When we got to Hartpury Church, we entered the churchyard to investigate:

And here is the famous bee shelter .... with a couple of basket hives currently in place on the top shelf:

From there, we did a very short detour of about 100 yards to the water mill at Highleadon for the next shot:

Brings Constable to mind ... Though IMHO he wasted his time painting hay wains. Should obviously have included one of these in his masterpiece instead:

Simon mentioned something about a local guy who has built a miniature ride-on steam locomotive railway in his garden, so we headed off up Oridge Street to find it. A shame it wasn't in use at the time, but he was right. A small gauge track ran all the way around his front, side and rear gardens, passing through a tunnel in a hedge at one point! This was his front drive .... complete with level crossing:

Got to love a great British eccentric. On our way back, we followed a track along the East bank of the Severn from Maisemore to Over, before passing under the main road and over the river before detouring onto Thomas Telford's old bridge for a view of the river:

We then re-crossed the river for a moment to take a look at the Gloucester & Hereford Canal basin. I strolled across some muddy ground from there to see where the Leadon flows into the Severn, before taking one last shot from the West bank of the Severn ... with a cyclist (in yellow) passing along the track from Maisemore that we had just ridden:

What a great afternoon ride. Shorts and short sleeves today, and never once felt cold. Great company and always nice to vary the route. We might do something like that again next Friday. 27 very enjoyable miles.
Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom