Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
We need a photo of Tara
There's more pics of her on the pets photo subforum.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Slowly getting back into it^_^, A nice and easy loop with the girls, supposed to have been a training ride, but when they get together they just want to chat,:laugh: A good enough ride for me as i am not the one training for a tour of Scotland.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4858356624

chriswoody

Legendary Member
After our mini ice age, followed by mini summer heatwave, it was back to normality today. 5 degrees, mist and leaden skies. I decided to explore some new areas of forest today, but first it was out into the misty lanes to start.

Heading off into the forest, the silence bore down on me as I weaved this way and that on the muddy track. The sands of Wildech are defrosted and back to their energy sapping best. I try my best to follow the car tire tracks that weave their way through, but I'm still getting thrown around, all good fun.

After Wildech a small gravel track appears to the side of the main route and I take to it gratefully. The route heads uphill for a short way before a wild downhill section weaving through the stands of pine provides respite and fun. For several more kilometre we ride North n the gravel track, alternating between pine forest and clearings of Heather.

Emerging from the forest at Angelsbecksteich, I rest for a short while on the summit of a small rise. Here is a large stone commemorating the forest fire of 1975, Germany's largest wildfire in history. For just over a week it raged, raising 74.18 km² of land and claiming the lives of several firefighters.

The memorial stone looks out over a lovely patch of heathland and in the summer when it's in bloom this is quite a lovely place to be.

From here we turn east and head onto forest trails I'd not traversed before. The gravel track weaves between tightly packed stands of pine and rises and dips gently as we press on. Coming into a small clearing a small lake to one side appears and I stop for a break and a drink on the shore.

Heading onwards the scenery is constantly changing from closely packed forest, to areas of more open trees. Signs of spring are slowly starting to emerge here and there, overhead a Buzzard is circling lazily and calling out. After a while the route leaves the gravel and heads of onto an ill defined trail that suddenly gives way to a muddy clearing, the scene of some big forestry operations in the last weeks. I pick my way slowly between the muddy puddles and large ruts left by the machinery.

Thankfully, this section is mercifully short and I'm soon back on gravel as the forest opens out into a large area of heathland, before re-entering the forest. It's not long though before the forest runs out and I'm onto gravel lanes weaving between the fields on the outskirts of Rebberlah. The mist and grey skies making for an atmospheric feel to the solitude all around.

From Rebberlah, I'm back onto familiar trails and from here it's a gentle run through the forest, before hitting the lanes and then home. All in all, I've ridden a shade over 45km on a mix of old and new routes. A lovely way to start the day.

figbat

Slippery scientist
We needed a few bits and bobs so I said I’d ride to the local farm shop to get them. But given the weather I thought I’d make a bit of a ride of it, rather than go straight there and back on the main road.

What a ride! Just pootling, no rush, no thoughts of speed or time, stopping to take pictures or simply take in local features I hadn’t noticed before. Plus the practical benefit of getting some shopping done and getting some exercise.

D3CD0C8A-8636-4C98-A80C-52D496A92C5F.jpeg

EFA9A1F7-C8DA-4BE5-B25A-7A1147D54188.jpeg

DD3583FF-1240-424C-B9FE-02D75AE49786.jpeg

4DC44EF0-76B5-46AA-81B4-C489D9C9662B.jpeg

AD243DBE-DC39-4825-89CA-52F618745527.jpeg

C29E4DAA-F8E7-4E62-B904-68D6427590EC.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
54 sunny miles today
frost in places at the start but it soon warmed up, the cafe we had planned to stop at was closed even though it was listed as open so it was hedgerow rest break and an energy bar at the local supermarket .
Ride mate was strong today and set a bit to fast a pace for me at the start so by the end i was pedalling squares , i did clock 40 mph down one hill though :smile:
1614523544783.png

Well the missus got out of a tandem ride last week and she did it again this week, this time the excuse being its too cold. So after trying a rubbish round trip planned by Garmin last week I decided to try routeyou.com's offering. Err well it was worse, again on dual carriageways in parts and I realised it was taking me off the main route and round and back crescents/housing estates etc just to make the mileage, not free flowing and completely rubbish. At one time it took me down a track around a old peoples park home development and back. I think i will stick to ride with GPS.
Only things of note was in Stock I saw a bloke with a cyclechat jersey pull out of mill lane 50yds before I turned in. Whilst going up a slope I heard the distinctive sound of deep section carbon rims coming from behind, he swept past and for 10 seconds my competitive streak kicked in and I went after him, I realised I was meant to be on a sub 135bpm ride and let him go. Finished the ride with a 130 avg so I had been a good boy overall.
Got home in bright sunshine to be met by the missus asking if I would like to go out again as it is so nice. Duh!

Mike_P

Guru
Lets try scrubbing the rust off the ebikes chain I thought, oh! the "rust" was simply dirt, oh well its useful to have a spare chain thinking I could have got away from ordering a new one. The chain soaked in mech cleaner, scrubbed, watered and wiped. An attempted refit was thwarted by missing quick link which had well vanished and too wide and curved 8 speed quick link fitted.
Set off on the ebike at 1245 first stop Chevin Cycles and a pack of four 9 speed links bought. In hindsight I should have returned home to fit the new one but proceeded to do it outside the shop having taken a quick link release tool with me; first problem was the 8 speed and 9 speed were well stuck together while the 8 speed was finally extracted okay the 9 speed was bent. Still I had a pack with the twice the number needed....."You alright" enquired an shop assistant from the door, er no.. three quick links had in succession exploded off the end of the chain while I was trying to join it together. One was found only then to realise the one that had been on the chain was now missing; that or another eventually found and the chain at last joined together. Decided not to bother spending any more time looking for the other two. Is losing three quick links in one day a record?
Then along a reasonably busy Bilton Lane with cyclists pedestrians and three horses/riders and down the A59 to Knaresborough where I opted for the High Street rather than Waterside, which I expect was a bit too busy with pedestrians, to reach Lidl primarily for Set Honey and Marmalade.
Away from the store the reason for the road works at the "crossroads" on the A59 that were their for ages became evident in that Wetherby Road was now straight on rather than right and an acute left turn. Called in to a M&S Simply Food on a retail park - double disappointment, no bike stands so had to do with the end support of an enclosed trolley bay and no Free From Apple Pie:sad:
Along the A658 through Birkham Wood and then down to Calcutt, up and down to Morrisons where on leaving the rucksack was full enough and the plan to go to another M&S Simply Food axed for a route straight home. 15.22 miles with 1015ft upwards.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Another stupendous sunny spring day, so getting out absolutely essential. Solo today, and head for the hills, and as it's so nice I decide to blow the cobwebs off the summer bike for its first outing of the year :sun:. It turned out to be literal as well as figurative...

Off then, and how wonderful the summer steed feels - I'm riding a thoroughbred just desperate to gallop.

First hill is the brickworks. I'm taking it slow, rather apprehensive about just how tough this is going to be after piling on a stone or two with lockdown comfort eating. But it's OK, and a brief but very rapid descent leads into the climb of Windgather rocks.

I'm overtaken by a couple of roadies, and everyone else is grinning from the sheer absurd delight of this weather in February. A couple of cheeky squares of chocolate accompany the view down to the Goyt valley.

If you've never climbed the road from the Goyt, start planning now, it's one of the best in the land. Never steep, but challenging enough, and winds gently up to the Cat and Fiddle. First the reservoir, then the oak woodlands, always with the river sparkling below. Finally the valley opens to moorland, and the river becomes a stream.

From Derbyshire Bridge I turn left and over Axe Edge, from where the stupendous view if the White Peak opens to the East.

I decide against more chocolate, but instead head for the cafe at Flash Bar. The next couple of miles I fantasise of pork pies and Bakewell tart.

But calamity strikes - cafe shut, and even their water tap isolated. More chocolate instead, and the thrilling, fast descent to Gradbach. Naturally the Gods demand payment for such antics, this time in the way of the hard slog up the main road from Allgreave. Normally one of my most hated roads this: long, hard, busy and without views to leaven the pain, but cars are few today and it's not too bad.

I've chosen that road for the final treat- one of my favourite places on a bike, the high road past the old Hanging gate pub, now alas defunct. A final chocolate stop and I reflect it's not possible to do the view justice with a camera, but a passing cyclist gives me a little foreground interest.

The swoop down to Macclesfield from here is exhilarating, and from there I limp home quite exhausted, but very happy.

40 miles making a century all told for the weekend, and a little over 1200m climbing.

bagpuss

Guru
Out for a potter round the lanes today .Sorry no pictures . Some other cyclists in shorts and short sleeve tops !? It was 10c at best. I guess some folk do not feel the nip in air . Cracking day to out and about .Bring on spring /summer .
Getting any speed back is going to take quite a bit of work ! Still I was in no rush .Lots of snow drops still in bloom ,Sky larks giving it some ,jackdaws aurguing over something or the other .

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It was just about 10c today, but lovely and sunny:sun:, so I was the sort of idiot described by @bagpuss above, out in my shorts and short-sleeved top again. Just a local figure of eight ride through the Severnside villages to Fretherne and back .... just under 24 miles in all. Just the one photo today, looking towards the Forest of Dean and the West bank of the Severn from Priding, near Saul:

Couldn't believe how many people were out and about down the lanes today. Families out walking, horse riding and cycling, hundreds of cars out on "essential journeys" (:whistle:) and people shamelessly trying out their open-topped sports cars. In places it was really quite unpleasantly busy, and overtaking or passing cyclists coming the other way was made quite hazardous by the moronic Sunday driving of some among the hordes of motorists. The busiest part was the couple of miles either side of the dairy farm selling "Wholly Cow" gelati, where the car park was overflowing down along the lane and a crowd of people were forming a queue across the farmyard to the kiosk. It was like a bank holiday at the seaside. I honestly think the quietest stretch of road was the couple of mile stretch of A38 that I rode on the way back. Oh, well, good to get some more nice weather miles in .... but in retrospect I should have saved this ride until tomorrow. I don't think I've ever seen Elmore Lane busier.
Enjoy your rides everyone, and keep those great pictures coming.
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Out for a potter round the lanes today .Sorry no pictures . Some other cyclists in shorts and short sleeve tops !? It was 10c at best. I guess some folk do not feel the nip in air . Cracking day to out and about .Bring on spring /summer .
Getting any speed back is going to take quite a bit of work ! Still I was in no rush .Lots of snow drops still in bloom ,Sky larks giving it some ,jackdaws aurguing over something or the other .
cold enough for sleeves cold enough for knees i read, my hands were white again when i went down to one pair of full finger gloves , i started with 2 pairs on

Top Bottom