Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
After a conflab with David our rides destination was changed from Uttoxeter to a part circuit of South Derbyshire . This ment if the weather turned foul we had a get out of jail routes home.
Our route through Etwall,Willington and Repton proved to be a good spin the winter sun shine .We gained some height on the back road the Ticknall . Up and down through the Calke Abbey estate . Pictured below.

From here a short ride to Stuaton Harold Hall for a cake stop . The short grind out SH estate followed and a RH turn to Scotland .{long ride this} Breedon on the Hill was next and David got the KOM points on the climb up the Church . There are cracking views to be had from here .Today however some low clouds took the best away . Down to Melbourne and along the old railway line towards Derby . At the point were the line crosses the river Trent , is of interest . It is the location railway bridge building training during WW2 by the Amercian Army Engineers.
The unit was based at near by Kings Newton and was the only such establishment in the Country .
The last leg saw us through Weston & Aston on Trent . Returning into Derby along the Derwent at which point the rain set in .

Last edited:
Down to Melbourne and along the old railway line towards Derby .
Cloud Trail? Good work.

gavgav

Guru
An unexpected window of weather opportunity this evening, between Dudley dying out and Eunice Armageddon arriving, so I got a short ride in after work.

I followed cycle paths to Reabrook, slaloming around 3 separate people all walking in the wrong lane on the shared old railway path, then up to Heathgates.

Chaos ensued on Whitchurch Rd, as the shared use path has been closed for works, with hardly any warning, so I dismounted to try and join the road, down the kerb, but had to contend with a works lorry reversing back towards the rush hour traffic, with horns blasting from angry drivers….I was able to walk the bike around the lorry and get back in the cycle lane again and leave the chaos to sort itself out.

I then went through Sundorne and onto the old canal path, at Pimley, where the overgrown vegetation has FINALLY been cut back, for the first time in what must be 6 to 8 months, so the path has doubled in width again.

I joined the road at Uffington, then along to Upton Magna and Berwick Wharf, where works are taking place and traffic lights have appeared. The rat run to Atcham wasn’t bad and I could see the River Severn in flood on the plains, which is only going to get worse over the coming days.

I paused on the old bridge to take a couple of shots.

I wasn’t sure whether the road to Cross Houses would be closed, but the river hasn’t quite reached it yet, so took that one and then onto Berrington, Betton Abbots and home, with the wind already starting to strengthen a little. Nothing like what’s coming though.

16.1 miles at 11:3mph avg

We looked at joining the cloud trail at Wilson but the link was rather muddy to say the least .So we took the road to Melbourne and picked up the old line there .
After recent sliding about on slick tyres , discretion was the better part of valour.
That does surprise me. I guess after this week it would be a tad claggy but after Melbourne it gets more gravelly/unmade especially once you cross the Trent and thus much more claggy!

Last edited:
20220217_085117.jpg

Soggy ride to work yesterday. The ride goes around an extinct volcano in the middle of the Rhine valley and the weather on the north is often very different from that on the eastern side. This meant that by the time I'd reached the relatively dry north side, I'd been riding in torrential rain for 5 km so it didn't really matter any more.

20220217_182343.jpg

On the way back. Roads dry, sun setting. Suddenly I'm riding in some approximation of daylight on the way back.

Svendo

Guru
Only the commute home but got actually blown over for the first time. Waiting at the lights to head south down Oldham Road at the junction with Kingsway in Rochdale. I was braced for the wind which had been gusting from the right, when there was a massive gust from the left! Luckily as I slowly teetered past the point of no return I had the presence of mind to unclip my right foot which meant I was able to touch down with my hand. I let my bike fall but recovered and avoided a full tumble onto my arm or shoulder. Obviously this all happened as the lights changed and in front of 2 long queues of traffic. I reckon I styled it our alright. Rest of the ride was pretty edgy, including Wildhouse Lane, where the strong gusting cross wind meant I was taking the lane on a 50 mph single carriage way. Nearly all drivers seemed actually to appreciate the situation, perhaps my radical lean and sudden uncrontrolled wobbles were clues!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
42406C03-6EC6-44F2-8FE0-9140A0F87583.jpeg

On
41D18BA0-243B-4A64-9CAE-C19F0646FAB1.jpeg

ly
CD97B743-1806-4E38-AF7F-F15051509F34.jpeg

a
B8BC6D10-E51D-4E04-99ED-0D92FB785236.jpeg

little ride around the Battisborough loop on my Spa.
Lots of twigs about, but not much evidence of storm uterus.

I think the storm may have cracked an underground pipe or something, as there was a leek….

The girls at Carswell were hooting and hollering at the farmer on his quad bike.

A choppy sea.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6707149815

AndreaJ

Veteran
As the wind had disappeared this morning and I had stuff to do this afternoon I thought it was a good idea to get out hoping to avoid the “showers “ which were forecast.
Decided to stay close to home as it was cold and lots of roads were flooded. Set off into Whixall and the rain started which wasn’t too bad as I was wearing a waterproof jacket, splashed through lots of puddles and mud to Hollinswood, Fenns Bank then over the swing bridge to Alkington. Headed back towards Hollinswood, Coton, Waterloo and down Ossage Lane to avoid the lane to Edstaston which was flooded. The rain was turning to snow which was a bit miserable, I resisted the temptation to turn home at Horton and headed to Loppington to see if it was going to stop, after negotiating a couple of big floods and with the snow now getting quite heavy I wimped out and headed home. 19.4 very cold and wet miles. The combination of water and snow was clogging the cassette up for the last mile which made changing gears a bit tricky but made it home.
This afternoon’s job was picking my new bike up although tomorrow’s weather looks rubbish so won’t get to try it out for a few days.

Attachments

• 370E5C65-53CF-4C1D-A2EE-DFDE2946EB14.jpeg
    370E5C65-53CF-4C1D-A2EE-DFDE2946EB14.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 16
  • A19EA84C-E755-46A0-BD80-3C71B3805D2B.jpeg
    A19EA84C-E755-46A0-BD80-3C71B3805D2B.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 79C72AD0-5AE2-4746-9995-75468B331D20.jpeg
    79C72AD0-5AE2-4746-9995-75468B331D20.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 12

13 rider

Guru
As the wind had disappeared this morning and I had stuff to do this afternoon I thought it was a good idea to get out hoping to avoid the “showers “ which were forecast.
Decided to stay close to home as it was cold and lots of roads were flooded. Set off into Whixall and the rain started which wasn’t too bad as I was wearing a waterproof jacket, splashed through lots of puddles and mud to Hollinswood, Fenns Bank then over the swing bridge to Alkington. Headed back towards Hollinswood, Coton, Waterloo and down Ossage Lane to avoid the lane to Edstaston which was flooded. The rain was turning to snow which was a bit miserable, I resisted the temptation to turn home at Horton and headed to Loppington to see if it was going to stop, after negotiating a couple of big floods and with the snow now getting quite heavy I wimped out and headed home. 19.4 very cold and wet miles. The combination of water and snow was clogging the cassette up for the last mile which made changing gears a bit tricky but made it home.
This afternoon’s job was picking my new bike up although tomorrow’s weather looks rubbish so won’t get to try it out for a few days.
Kudos for getting out ,Not many rides to read about this weekend indoor trainer rides for me
Nice bike just think how quick you will do 50km on that . Bet you can't wait to get a ride on it and get in dirty :laugh:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Kudos for getting out ,Not many rides to read about this weekend indoor trainer rides for me
Nice bike just think how quick you will do 50km on that . Bet you can't wait to get a ride on it and get in dirty :laugh:
This one’s not getting dirty😂, which means it needs to stop raining !

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Your new bike looks fabulous, enjoy!
Is it a Trek Emonda?

Top Bottom