Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
DC50C405-B993-4402-B525-19C2372E278E.jpeg

An
1C9E3EA7-15CB-4037-9B77-E0D4DA64B26D.jpeg

a
62D34B76-E0E4-4500-BB07-1C443D1C6F14.jpeg

lm
E4D4F66B-D859-436D-9B67-058EC021C535.jpeg

ost 13 miles……
Firstly in Newton Ferrers I went to see a customer , then rode along the river.
Then I was waylaid by another customer who wanted to show me his extension! Lucky boy.

Up to Membland and along to Battisborough.

I was headed to Ivybridge to collect my van. I could either stick to the road I was on, or go via Flete.

I’m went via Flete and got a puncture!
Then my bike pump fell apart!
I was only 1/4 of a mile from my in laws, so Sue gave me a lift to get my van.
I came back and picked up my bike and drove home….

I hadn’t turned off my Garmin, so I’ve more crowns than a dentists!

Oops!

https://www.strava.com/activities/6726886231

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Whilst I haven't written about them, I have been out these last week's, it's just every time the weather was truly foul with torrential rain and wind and it was just a case of getting to the end. Today though, in complete contrast was stunning and I managed a sneaky ride to the waterworks. Just like sections of Britain, we've been battered by the storms here, which have come after a sustained period of unsettled and wet weather. The river is high and looks impressive, but whilst it's burst its banks, it's only flooded the washlands that are there as the first layer of flood defence.

I headed west under beautiful skies, it was just so nice to see blue sky for a change. The paths are strewn with small branches and needles from the trees and every so often a fallen tree blocks the way.

I'm following the Northern bank of the river and my path is just above the flood plain and I stop to watch the river flow past just next to me.

The sun has some warmth too it and it's so nice to not have to wear my full winter layers as I ride, however, it is still relatively low in the sky and looks stunning as it reflects through the trees and onto the flooded land.

The path alternates between dry sandy soil to gravel and through to full quagmire, often within a few hundred metres and the ride is challenging and fun.

After 12 kilometres I'm heading past the flooded horse paddocks and down to the crossing at the water works. The river is high here and thundering through the weirs and the hum of the turbines can be heard.

As I swing back east the wind is on my back and the trail turns to hard packed gravel. I'm flying along for a few kilometres before the first fallen tree blocks my way.

It's like this for the rest of the way back, slamoning between the fallen trees, sometimes lifting the bike, other times bunny hopping or weaving my way off-road. It adds another layer of fun and enjoyment to a lovely 24km ride in the sun and these are the days I love after the hard cold rides in deep winter, it seems that spring is not so far away.

AndreaJ

Veteran
The wind had finally gone for the day, it wasn’t raining and I have to wait in for a parcel to be delivered with no idea what time it will arrive. It appears just after 11am and I can finally go for a proper ride on my new bike.
The wind then decided to return when I left but it was dry and warmer than it had been so picked a route which was hopefully not muddy, flooded or covered in hedge cuttings. Set off to Loppington avoiding the first turning, which would be muddy and flooded, into the village and towards Nonely and Myddle. Had to stop to retrieve my back light which for some reason flew off, put it back together and headed into Myddle, down Lower Road to Merrington which was hard work into the wind. Carried on to Old Woods before finally turning out of the wind to Eyton making much quicker progress to Baschurch through the road closure by the school where there was a lot of road markings being painted. Took the lane to Stanwardine, Bagley, Lee finding that the awful potholes have finally been repaired and what was an awful stretch of road is now smooth tarmac.Carried on to Ellesmere, through the one way system and up Swan Hill to Welshampton, Northwood and home. Got home to discover that I had lost the back light again, I’ve had it for a few years and never had a problem with it falling off before.
32 miles.

Old jon

Guru
A cold and drizzly morning here in Leeds, but I have decided not to be so much of a weather wimp. Maybe.

So I wheeled the fixed out of the shed, and did the usual pre ride check. You know the sort of thing, is there a wheel at each end? Do they both reach the ground? Without a flat bit? Almost inevitably, I missed something. More about that later. Trawl through Holbeck, yes it was wet, to Water Lane. The beck was not as high as I thought it would be. Head to Crown Point Road, there is a pedestrian crossing along there that makes it easy to turn right towards the Armouries.

And down the river I go. It was obvious that a lot of the path had been underwater recently, loads of mud, deeper patches here and there. All went fine though a bit slowly. Slow enough to spot a cormorant perched on a branch almost at the far side of the river. Sorry, no pic. I did lift a frame from the video but the bird was too far away for that.

Downstream to the two bridges that zig and zag across the river. Not much further to the next bridge, some recently built weirs were making a lot of noise while I rode across that one. Not far to the entrance to Thwaites Mill and yet another bridge, across the canal only this time. The Trans Pennine Trail must like bridges, Skelton Grange bridge is next. The one with the flight of stairs on the downstream side.

Cold and wet and maybe the dawning of sense said turn for home. So I did, reaching it seven miles after leaving. Not enough elevation change to worry about, and the later bit is now. I did check the spoke tension, roughly, on both wheels. Odd tinkling noise as I am putting the bike away, one spoke completely detached from the nipple. Ever since the first ride 155 miles ago that wheel has been a bit, errr, variable. So for the third time (lucky) I will try to sort that out. Still a good short ride though, made me smile.

And a bit of geography

24022022.jpg

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Great ride up and down the river into Chester first one in 2 weeks really enjoyed the morning

Attachments

• A9C2ED6C-FAB7-49E8-A269-9D5D9A5D36A9.jpeg
    A9C2ED6C-FAB7-49E8-A269-9D5D9A5D36A9.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 99F1C0AD-E25B-4B5E-9468-74427B42CD43.jpeg
    99F1C0AD-E25B-4B5E-9468-74427B42CD43.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 9F23C66C-AA15-40EF-93DB-908B27489708.jpeg
    9F23C66C-AA15-40EF-93DB-908B27489708.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 11
  • 52EE2193-30AF-4B3F-B5FA-E7256E9860C6.jpeg
    52EE2193-30AF-4B3F-B5FA-E7256E9860C6.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 10

bluenotebob

Veteran
It’s been a pretty good February on the bike in Brittany, despite the damn wind (and we’ve had lots of that). We’ve been spared the worst of the rain that seems to have fallen in the UK in recent days.

A 53km ride out this afternoon through Brignac and up to Ménéac, then home via le Croix de L’Iff and Guilliers. A chilly NNW wind but nowhere near as strong as it has been.

I spotted this when I was leaving the village .. a 2-stroke push bike? A new song - “Cycle While You Strim” (to the tune of “Whistle While You Work”)?

Plum trees already in blossom – everything seems very early this year

On the Road between Brignac and la Riaye

bagpuss

Guru
A day late with this due to me been knackered last evening .
David & myself had a plan !? . Fradley Junction for lunch and turn point .
Our outward leg took us through Etwall ,Egginton and into Burton Upon Trent . Over the Ferry Bridge and up to Rosliston . Meandering down to Croxall via Coton and Edingale which was lovely with sky larks awing in the winter sun . Back over the Trent and down through Whitemoor Haye . The manned level crossing gates closed for a train . This was the first time in years of riding this area ,I had seen a train on this bypass spur. Over the A38 to Fradley and to the dancing duck cafe . No ducks seen doing a jive! . The retun leg took us along Tuppenhurst lane to Handsacre .Through the Ridwares to Hadley End . Called to see fellow cyclist Jim H and cup of tea was soon provided .Thank you Jim .
After much yapping we departed to Newborough and up hill to six roads end .Handbury was soon behind us . Into Tutbury & Hatton .
The final section of the ride took us to Sutton and Dalbury Hollow . Into Allestree and our longest ride so far this year.

Canal at Handsacre ,

bagpuss

Guru
Hi Noodle legs
From Handbury we took the top road to Redhill lane {no point go down to go up again} and into Tutbury & down past the Castle .
Water levels have dropped a lot on the Trent and it is back in its banks . Some lying water by the Medow centre in BOT .
Definitely up for a spin in April .

13 rider

Guru
Hi Noodle legs
From Handbury we took the top road to Redhill lane {no point go down to go up again} and into Tutbury & down past the Castle .
Water levels have dropped a lot on the Trent and it is back in its banks . Some lying water by the Medow centre in BOT .
Towards the end of April after Easter if the weather is ok I will arrange a Leicester CC ride and we will come out your way so we can meet up on route

Hi Noodle legs
Oh I see, towards anslow and turn left towards tutbury- much more rolling that way. On Wednesday I was working just the other side of St. Peter’s bridge under which ferry bridge runs and the water was definitely up at that stage, I guess this past couple of days has let it return to normal.

Hopefully see you in April- keep up the good work and write ups! :okay:

Top Bottom