Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
Burley’s Lane?
Think that's the one . Amazing how 2 miles prior I'm in the city centre then you climb past the park and you could be in the peak District proper

bagpuss

Guru
Burley lane is a good stiff climb from the A6 .Last Saturday I finished a ride by going up the hill from Kedleston road {there is a lot of new homes been built here on the LHS]. The ascent up into Quarndon is a good pull .You pass the Joiners Arms on your right. Fine views or Alport heights to your left from the top. There is also the Woodlands road climb which is the lesser of the three .

Planning a ride to Bradgate park in April .

Last edited:
Burley lane is a good stiff climb from the A6 .Last Saturday I finished a ride by going up the hill from Kedleston road {there is a lot of new homes been built here on the LHS]. The ascent up into Quarndon is a good pull .You pass the Joiners Arms on your right. Fine views or Alport heights to your left from the top. There is also the Woodlands road climb which is the lesser of the three .

Yes it is a good old slog indeed! The Joiners Arms is a great place- it has the same owners as Bulls Head at Repton and White Swan at Walton on Trent (or at least it did) top drawer food and service at all three! Yeah you can drop into Quarndon from Burley Lane and either turn off for Kedleston and the countryside or keep going back towards town past bottom end of Allestree and the uni. Very diverse indeed, but the views of the Dales are amazing! No wonder the house prices are premium round those parts!

Bradgate park is pretty much on @13 rider ‘s doorstep- he could fall out of bed into there I’m sure! :laugh:

bagpuss

Guru
As you go up Woodlands road you pass the water tower on your right .Quarndon ,I refer to the millionaires row .
A lot of lanes from Quarndon to choose from . The Common leading to Woodfall lane and onto BurlandGreen lane is a delight .
Many years ago I worked in Woodhouse Eaves , so I know that area a bit .

bagpuss

Guru
^^^^ Ditto^^^^

13 rider

Guru

I live a mile away ! . If you plan to ride through the park it gets very busy and is slow riding . Route wise I cross the Trent a Swarkstone bridge . Then head for Belton ,Shepshed down Beacon hill to Woodhouse to get to the far end of the Park then through to Newtown Linford . Any advice just shout up

bagpuss

Guru
Thank you . No worries for routes . I have ridden a few Audax events in that area . There was a 200k event in your area (Leic CTC ) I rode back in the 90's Went to the event and back by bike,ended up clocking 300K !?

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was a bit breezy this morning and almost warm. Set off into the wind to Loppington and Burlton. Crossed over the Ellesmere road to Marton then into Baschurch having a bit of a wait at some road works while 2 lorries blocked the road. Got moving again and headed past the schools to Eyton and Myddlewood and Myddle, onto the Ellesmere road back into the wind to Harmer Hill. I was heading to Clive as I haven’t been that way for a while and having a choice of routes decided on Shotton Lane and Merry Lane to Sansaw Heath. Followed the stone wall around the Sansaw Estate, where the road is still as bad as the last time I was this way, to Yorton past the train station and up the bank to Clive before turning off back down again towards Wem. I don’t really like the Wem -Shrewsbury road so turned off to Tilley Green, Barkers Green, Aston and through Wem to Ryebank, Whixall and home.
Spring seems to be appearing now lots of daffodils flowering, lambs in fields and primroses starting to flower. It was getting warm as well despite the wind.
I also discovered that my new bike gets blown about by the wind more than the others do! 39.2 miles.

Old jon

Guru
Anyone would think it was difficult to go for a bike ride, looking at my meagre attempts this year. Went out and wimped out on Tuesday, just too cold and becoming colder. Today was better though. Promises of temperatures in double figures, and likely dry as well, persuaded me to take Bob Jackson out of the shed and ride south.

No matter which direction I intend to ride, passing the terracotta library is one way to avoid having to cross four lanes of traffic to make a right turn. And it is good to see it anyway. All the way through Hunslet this morning, then the climb to John o’ Gaunts. Down the hill to Oulton roundabout and carry on through Methley to Castleford. It is a bit wide open spaces along that way and the breeze was not kind.

A couple of left turns to the bridge. There is a weir a bit upstream, left, of the bridge, today decorated with what looked like the rusted hull of a working boat. Oooops. The road starts to rise soon after crossing the Aire, I reached Allerton Bywater and turned right. Avoiding the long climb to the A63 in favour of a short sharp rise through Fairburn, which I reached after riding through Newton and incidentally passing most of Fairburn Ings along the way.

Into Fairburn.JPG

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4786.JPG

This is an anticlockwise ride, so turn left to climb a bit more hill and onto the A1246 which reaches the A63. Stay on that a short while and at the first possible opportunity turn off for Micklefield. The road is much less busy, and Micklefield is easy on the eyes too. Aiming for Aberford from here and I found more rising road, but gradual and therefore bearable. This was the A1 in the far off days of my youth, and Aberford was one of the many villages this road passed through. Sort of hard to believe now.

Barwick in Elmet next, along an up and down road that was quite tiring this morning. A bit more up to Scholes then turn left onto Leeds Road. Only as far as Seacroft then down South Parkway to the edge of Wyke Beck.Which takes me close enough to the Oakwood Clock to find my way home with ease, just what I needed after thirty six miles and a thousand feet of rising roads. And a grin, the longest ride so far this year.

Around the compass points, and a bit of rising road

10032022.jpg

1003elev.jpg

Top Bottom