Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Exactly five miles for me and little one today, started out as a 1.2 mile ride to shops then she wanted to go further so obviously had to oblige. Cant wait to get her out more this year now she's that little bit older. Before I get slammed, I completely forgot about helmets until we were half way there and since it was all cycle paths and quiet roads I chose to carry on, usually we are both lidded on any ride.

Unfortunately Covid has now hit me for the second time so tomorrow and Tuesdays 50 milers are now off :cursing:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Go you! Why anyone would wear a helmet at all let alone on a traffic free ride is beyond me anyway. Just me though.

Scotchlovingcylist

Yeah even on a traffic free route I still usually like to use them, always the risk of a car turning or risk of simply falling or hitting something, not to start a helmet debate at all like :blush:.
Going back to being her age though and older I never wore a helmet and have always been fine, at least that's what the voices tell me :whistle::whistle:

Scotchlovingcylist

How many people do the same thing walking in case they trip?

Yeah absolutely I get where you're coming from but a fall at 10-12mph into a wall or bollard etc may cause more damage than a fall at 3mph walking.
Not an expert and know the arguments for and against and I rode without one for a very long time until last couple of years so am fairly indifferent to it all anyway.
But again not to turn this into a helmet debate, we went without lids and survived 😊

Mike_P

Guru
The ebike has had a few shopping trips; that to Sainsburys on Sunday 13th nearly proved to be unlucky 13th due to a dog which to quote its owner likes cyclists - thankfully I got pass it before any adverse effect on balance occurred. 9.91 miles and 735ft of elevation.

The Defy nearly had an outing on Saturday, but no sooner that it had left the metal bike shed than a huge gust of wind nearly knocked me over and I decided tidying the timber shed and retrieving the hybrid while not puncturing on the assorted screws etc on the floor would be a better option. The Defy did get its quick removal mudguards removed although the small one curving down from the rear brakes did need to be hit out of its clip using a hammer on a screwdriver.

Sunday and two outings for the ebike . En route to Morrisons after the near compulsory cycle route dose waiting to cross the A61 I adopted my normal ignore the cycle route and stay on the road; left turn and the brakes hit in accordance with the new Highway Code as their were pedestrians to cross, whereas if I had stayed on the shared pavement cycle route… 9.82 miles and 636 ft of elevation.

Followed by one to Asda, notable by the sheer number of stationary moments (crossing/joining roads, right turns and giving way); after the first 1.5 miles there was a stop every quarter of a mile on average. 4.37 miles and 360ft of elevation.

Week off work and any cycling activity today was hampered by a new fridge/freezer delivery. By the time it was delivered and the tedious task of cleaning it had been completed, the afternoon was ticking by and the ebike fell into favour once again; a pretty uneventful ride to Lidl even with the Council working on the rock face on Waterside Knaresborough.

The pannier rack straps got used on the return holding a XXL kitchen roll and the delightfully named Bogs Lane had been resurfaced; for the first time I used the cycle bypass at a chicane which has always looked full of grot. 13.5 miles with 884ft of elevation.

Last edited:

bagpuss

Guru
Pictures will do the talking for my short ride today .

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
How many people do the same thing walking in case they trip?
I can't walk near as fast as I travel on my trike. Of course since it is a trike, it would take a lot for me to 'fall off'.

But there be much faster moving giants in the land and I do all I can to protect myself from them. :-)

And in full disclosure there are those who might think I should be wearing a helmet even when walking!

Reactions: C R
I can't walk near as fast as I travel on my trike. Of course since it is a trike, it would take a lot for me to 'fall off'.

But there be much faster moving giants in the land and I do all I can to protect myself from them. :-)

And in full disclosure there are those who might think I should be wearing a helmet even when walking!

You may find the helmet discussions interesting; there is some discussion about the actual, versus perceived protection a helmet may bring.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 24 miler in great sunny weather today. Varied the route a little, heading out to Standish church before retracing to the A38 and then cutting across to Frampton, crossing the little Stroudwater Canal near Saul Junction on the way, before stopping for a drink ay my favourite bench alongside the Gloucester & Sharpness (ship) Canal. Improved my speed a tad and recovered a little faster after the ride, so all looking good.

Loving this mild, sunny Spring weather.

Top Bottom