Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
Message me if you ever do take a short break around here. I've ridden every inch of road for miles around and can list all the best places to ride, the best climbs and the best cafe stops.
I will take you up on that ,a few trips awheel in the pipe line for this year . I am sure I can talk the missus into another, I will let you know .
Climbs:notworthy::eek::stop::training:

Down the 'psychopath' into Stretton, which now forms the greater part of Burton-upon-Trent.
A38? Dodgy section that!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some catching up to do once again.

Monday's ride (14th March): Almost halfway through the month and the weather seems to be calming down a bit, so challenge ride time. The forecast wind direction favoured doing the route round Oswestry, Ellesmere and Market Drayton again, however I've done that three times in sucession so settled on a route I came up with during one of the lockdowns where I wouldn't stray more than about 15 miles from home. I was up early and on the road shortly before seven into a calm and chilly morning.

This route meanders round a bit to get the miles in at the start. I headed for Condover initially then Wheathall and Berriewood before doubling back to Condover and heading out in a new direction along Lyons Lane. All well and good so far - the roads were a bit busier than I'd have expected for the time of day and now that it's light at this time of the morning there were a surprising number of people out walking the dog early.

Reaching Cross Houses I took the A458 for a short way headed for Cound Stank, Cound (missed what flag was flying today), up the hill to Harnage, along the long straight to Cound Moor and the undulating section to Acton Burnell then through Frodesley to the crossroads near Longnor (I think this bit is known as Longnor Green, but there is no sign marking that name) where I paused for my second breakfast. I'd layered up for the cold but was finding sweat running into my eyes up the hills but the wind was biting cold on the downhills - all a bit tricky to judge.

Once I'd had my break I headed along the old Roman Road and up the big climb of the day to Folly Bank. I was tempted to take off a layer at the summit but didn't knowing it was a longish descent into Cardington. Carrying on towards Longville and Hughley I was expecting to pick up a bit of a tailwind and I did seem to get along alright, with 30.5 mph top speed on one of the descents. I finally needed to shed a layer or two near Harley and could have done with taking off the thermal leggings which were getting a bit too warm, but it's not an easy thing to do on the roadside.:blush:

To keep racking up the miles I took the indirect way to Cressage via Harnage Grange (crossing my path from earlier in the ride in the process) then tackled the long drag up to Eaton Constantine and Uppington. I know I was loaded up more than I usually am but this climb seemed slower than expected. The wind was picking up a bit and had shifted round to the west (as forecast) so my descent of Bluebell Lane was underwhelming. I took my elevenses stop at Walcot - earlier than planned in terms of mileage but later in terms of time.

Refreshed I pushed onwards again to Withington (again, an indirect way for where I was headed), Rodington Heath, Roden, Poynton Green, Bing's Heath, Ebreywood, Astley and Hadnall. I was finding the sections into the wind were more difficult than anticipated and I wasn't as comfortable on the bike as I should be (chafing in places you wouldn't want chafing.:blink:). A couple of stops were wanted and I plodded on to Harmer Hill where the wind became very noticable and surely was stronger than forecast? (It was; the forecast wind speed was 10 mph with up to 20 mph gusts but what was recorded was 17 mph steady with 29 mph gusts).

By Myddle I was struggling. Cramping up on the climb out of the village didn't help things and at my next food stop at around 60 miles I realised that I just didn't have the energy to manage another 40 miles on top of this. The wind didn't feel like it was letting up through Baschurch on the way to Little Ness so it was a fairly easy decision to cut things short and take the most direct way home through Montford Bridge, Bicton, Shelton and Meole Brace.

74.4 miles for this one at 11.3 mph average. A pretty decent ride by most people's standards but no good for the Imperial Century a Month Challenge. At least the weather looks promising into next week so I hope to get another crack at it soon. I suspect I may have been fighting a bug (don't think it's Covid - I've been testing) as the next day I had to cry off from what I was supposed to be doing and slept for about 18 hours.

First view towards Caer Caradoc at the start.

Crocuses outside Concord College.

A much closer view of Caer Caradoc as I start my way up the Folly Bank climb.

The Royal Oak at Cardington.

On my way to Hughley.

A couple of shots from my elevenses stop at Walcot.

At Harmer Hill.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Today: I've done a bit of fettling on the bike (changed tyres again and retensioned/trued the new back wheel) so wanted a decent ride to test it out. The longer version of the Acton Burnell route is my go-to for test rides and I thought that with it being a nice day I could extend it if things went well.

It's warm enough that this is my first ride of the year in shorts, although I kept a thin fleece on top. I went over Lyth Hill this time then headed through Condover, Ryton and Longnor as usual. The lanes looked lovely in the sunshine and were mostly dry - just the odd puddles and run-off from fields to contend with.

It wasn't what you'd call a windy day but what wind there was seemed to be coming from an againsterly direction as it was still in my face after turning for Frodesley, Acton Burnell and Cound Moor. I decided to extend the ride and finally picked up a tailwind after Cressage which was a bit more helpful than last time up the climb to Eaton Constantine and Uppington. The descent of Bluebell Lane was much more fun and the wind continued to help to Withington and much of the way to Upton Magna.

The traffic seemed to pick up after Upton Magna so I allowd it past as much as possible on the narrow bits. I thought I'd be battling back into the wind again but it wasn't too bad (more of a crosswind) so progress was still okay to Atcham and Cross Houses. I took my usual way past Berrington Hall then Lyons Lane back to Condover where I picked up a pretty ideal tailwind that swept me along to the A49. This though was quite busy so it took a little while to get into traffic (the driver of the Jag in front of me seemed a little peeved that I'd caught him back up at the junction and took off with quite the screech of tyres when he did get a gap.:whistle: )

34.9 miles at 13.4 mph average. A lovely ride on a day where it feels like Spring has really arrived.^_^

I wasn't really thinking about photos this time so here are the few I did take:

A proper Spring day at last! Taken at Ryton.

On the way to Cressage.

The Wrekin from Cressage Bridge.

The lonely pill-box at Cressage Bridge.

Yesterday.
Same as Tuesday, exactly, but on the other bike.

All reasonably good, and a great deal easier to ride than the mixte, lots more gears help! Much cage rub from the front, managed to tweak it a bit on the fly. The only thing I've never liked on this bike is the FD...
Bit breezier today, but no big deal. Looking forward to another couple of rides next week, weather looking good for it.
Wow, do I ever need to get fit...
:eek:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
34 miles today with phil the hill , i went a bit fast at the start and paid for it later but we had a good ride .Met 2 cyclists at the bank house cafe in alrewas and had a chat with them and altered the saddle for one of them as it was not right .This was phil`s 1st ride for a long time and im still getting there but we had a good time , well apart from that headwind !

Somehow i got a local legend KOM for 2 efforts in 90 days :shy:

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Lovely day today. Riding with David, Liz & Simon at 10am. Out to Pocklington for coffee then into The Wolds and down to York. Longest ride this year and don’t my legs know it.
71.8 miles with an average of 15.5 mph.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Magnificent 40 miles in the spring sunshine through the Peak with the wonderful Mrs Tuesday firing up the afterburners.

Feat. The Brickworks, Pym Chair via Windgather, that brutal unrelenting slog up the old inclined plane from Errwood reservoir, excellent lunch in Buxton, then home over the Cat.

40 miles and near 4,000 ft climbing.

Photo credits: Mrs Tuesday

Attachments

• 20220319_154256.jpg
    20220319_154256.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 4

C R

Guru
Last ride of winter this morning, as spring will start at about 15:30 today.

The forecast for today was clear skies, cool, but a lot less windy than yesterday.

Out of the house at about quarter past six, and no need for lights for the first time this year (until next week, when the clocks go forward). Planned route was to Bromsgrove and back. Out to town heading to Fernhill Heath. Town was quiet, and it seemed that drivers were just holding back instead mgifing their way. I wondered whether I was lucky today, or things are really improving.

At Fernhill Heath I left the A38, heading to Droitwich via the back lanes. The forecast was for light wind, but in places it felt as bad as last week, definitely more than the 5 or 6mph from the forecast. Anyway, just keep turning the pedals, got to Droitwich, and then took Crutch Ln heading for Upton Warren. I stopped on the M5 flyover for a snack and a look around. Usually there's a good view of the Malverns from here, but today the mist was hiding the hills. The view over the fields to the other side was better
20220320_072445.jpg

Next is a short ride on the A38 to the edge of Bromsgrove, and then a turn south through Stoke Heath and Stoke Prior. Heading to one of the bridges over the canal there was a lady on a mountain bike a little ahead, she hadn't noticed me, and I startled her when I said good morning. My bike always sounds very noisy to me, but obviously it isn't that noisy :laugh:.

For the first time in many years I heard a woodpecker, and it wasn't only one, unless it was following me, because I kept hearing the tapping at different times during the ride.

The wind was now on my side or behind, and also the route was flatter, so I was making better time. Stopped for another snack at Flying Horse Ln, where I lost a tyre lever a few weeks ago. The grass had been cut, so had a look, but still nowhere to be found. Always a good place for a photo, though.
20220320_080125.jpg

The final stretch was quicker, Bradley Green, Shell Ford, Crowle and over to Egdon and home via Stoulton and Littleworth. Quite a few cyclists in this last stretch now that the sun had started warming up the air.

Great ride to finish this winter that has made riding particularly difficult.

The map
Screenshot_20220320-155941_Connect.jpg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Whilst the sun was out and the skies were cloud free, there was a bitterly cold, Easterly wind, gusting over 65 kph according to the local weather station. I decided to head East at the beginning of the ride and into the teeth of the gale whilst I was on exposed roads, then after 6 km, I plunged into the shelter of the forest.

Heading North now, I ride a variety of paths, all dry and dusty. After the monumental deluge that was February, the last weeks have been so dry the authorities have put out warnings about forest fires. One section of forest has been badly churned up by forestry vehicles and the trees have been severely thinned out, hundreds of logs lie stacked at the side of the track waiting to be taken away.

Heading further north, i hit a section of wald autobahn and my speed increases, though the cold wind is biting.

This whole area was a muddy swamp just last month, but now it's a dry dust bowl and I'm resorting to a different set of techniques to keep the bike going as I fishtail through the sand.

The kilometres fly by and soon I'm heading back in a Southwesterly direction and the wind is behind me now, pushing me on. The ride starts to leave the forest tracks and spend some time on quiet back roads as we get closer to home.

The last kilometres of the ride leaves the shelter of the forest and into the open spaces weaving between the fields, but I'm heading West now and the full force of the wind is on my back giving me some free propulsion. Overall it's been 36 kilometres today and whilst it's been lovely to see the sun, the windchill from that bitterly cold easterly wind has been really hard.

gavgav

Guru
We’ve been in Wales, this weekend, opening up our caravan for the season. I took my bike up with me and intended on riding on Saturday, but unforecast wind (sustained 50mph plus and literally blowing people off their feet in Barmouth town centre, almost included me whilst on a walk!) like you wouldn’t believe, meant I got out today instead.

There hasn’t been a cloud in the sky all weekend and it was warm yesterday, despite the wind, but noticeably colder today. I set off along the main road, down to Barmouth and it immediately became clear that the wind was still going to be hard work and pretty much a headwind for the first half of the ride, with it coming from an E/SE direction and it was blooming cold. :cold:

I dropped down to the promenade and crossed the railway line, where they have installed traffic lights for those of us crossing the tracks, which weren’t there before and must help with safety, as long as people observe them!

The sea was crashing into the wall and up over onto the prom, which meant a well timed photo was needed to miss getting a drenching.

The prom was starting to busy up with day trippers, but I was leaving Town and crossing Barmouth bridge, which is open again after the winter work closure. They’ve been renovating a lot of the old wood and steelwork, mainly on the railway line and beneath the bridge, certainly not the planks on the foot/cycle section, as they seemed even rougher than ever!

I then turned up the Mawddach Trail and began the cold battle with the wind. It’s pretty flat and so that helps, but it was slow progress. A tree had also come down, on the section I’d walked along yesterday, in the gales, which was just passable. I paused at my favourite viewpoint to enjoy the simply stunning scenery.

I eventually reached Dolgellau and paused by the cricket pitch, for a pre climb snack, then looped round the town and finally out of the wind, which would be helping me up the steep few miles to come. I’m sure they Jack the climb up a bit each year, or it’s more likely each year of increasing age creeping up on me!! I plodded and wound my way up into the foothills of Cader Idris, warming up quite nicely without a headwind.

On the flat section, just before more climbing up to Cregennan Lakes, I was flagged down by a young couple, who were lost and looking for the Pony Path up Cader Idris. They were quite a way from it and I pointed them back in the direction they needed, which it turned out was where they’d come from. The girls face was a picture and it appeared that their relationship may be in jeopardy as he’d sworn they were going the right way :laugh:

I wound my way up to the Lakes, being passed by 8 chaps on scrambling bikes….more of them later and enjoyed my lunch whilst overlooking the Lake, even if it was chilly in the wind again. Cader Idris was looking beautiful in the sunshine as well.

The descent down from Cregennan is always exhilarating, 800 ft in just over a mile, before a nice wind assisted section on the main road to Morfa Mawddach, where I retraced my steps over the bridge, having to pause for the same 8 scrambling bikes from earlier, who also decided to cross over the bridge. I’m sure they aren’t allowed to do that and there were plenty of irate walkers letting them know what they thought as well.:wacko:

Barmouth promenade was now heaving, as I followed it back North, complete with the usual pedestrians who lose all sense along there. I’ve had numerous near misses in the car and on bike, over the years, with 2 today. 1 woman and a dog, who followed her husband across, directly into my path, necessitating an emergency stop and look of horror from her. Your fault my dear! Not long followed by 2 kids who bolted across the road, in front of dad carrying ice creams, meaning emergency stop number 2. Good job I wasn’t a car hey and yes dad you really should look after your kids better. :thumbsdown:

I then climbed up and followed the main road back up to the caravan site. Much busier now and a few close passes that weren’t appreciated.

So nice to be back up there and will be nice if the sun stays, but much less wind would be appreciated.

33.08 miles at wind and hills affected 10.2 mph avg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom