Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Spring properly arrived in Shropshire today and with it being my early finish day at work, I took the opportunity to get out in the warm late afternoon sunshine for a ride. First outing for the shorts this year :hyper:

I set off to Betton Abbots and Cantlop, into the breeze which, whilst not particularly strong, still made it hard work at times on the steady climbs. After passing the entrance to Pitchford Hall, I descended the bank and whilst shifting into the big cog the ruddy chain came off again :cursing:. There couldn’t have been a worse place for it to happen, as I coasted to a stop before the climb out of the dip. No verge or gateways and so had to haul the bike over the Armco barrier and into the undergrowth to try and sort things. Of course it had somehow jammed outside the derailleur, why wouldn’t it?! and took about 10 minutes to get the thing back where it should be, completely covering my hands and gloves in oil.

Feeling frustrated, I set back off again and on to Pitchford, Acton Burnell and Frodesley. What was apparent along there was the ridiculous amount of traffic, way more than usual. Turns out there are roadworks on the A49 at Longnor and so everyone was trying to use the lanes to avoid the queues. Not a lot of fun when too many of them are going faster than they should be.

From Longnor, I turned up the lane to Ryton, where the 3 real twonks of the ride were encountered. Firstly a chap pulled out of his drive, straight in front of me, causing me to perform an emergency stop. I was so close I could have tapped on his window. He was closely followed by a rat runner who, instead of slowing down on a narrow section, decided to speed up when coming towards me and flying past in a cloud of dust. Finally a kid, can’t have been more than legal driving age, belting along the lane in a tractor, with his mate, showing off no doubt, who I heard coming and so dived into the verge, which a good decision as he would have wiped me out on the bend :thumbsdown:

From Ryton I continued to Gonsal and then called at dad’s for half an hour and a good wash of my hands to get the worst of the oil off. I had the wind behind me now, but it had cooled down considerably and so a jacket was donned for the journey home via Exfords Green, another pillock there, in a van, who overtook me straight into the path of an oncoming car, missing each other by inches, Annscroft, Hook a Gate and Meole.

19.79 miles at 11.8mph avg. Nice to be out in the sun but the various incidents took the edge off the enjoyment.

Mike_P

Guru
The Defy did get its outing today; its rider clad in a water resistant jersey just in case and new shoes and shorts. Immediate PR on the short section of the A59 used then B6161 and A61 to Ripon; a set of TTLs just where one of the infamous crashes in the UCI mens U23 time trial occurred and the resultant queueing traffic were navigated non-stop and remarkably the twin sets of traffic lights by Morrisons stayed green.
Made a turn too soon on my centre of Ripon avoidance route but corrected by the use of a path with dropped kerbs at either end. More TTLs skipped straight through on the A6108 to North Stainley where I paused for a snack.
Onto West Tanfield where I left the A road for the northern climb out of the village towards Well but then turned west on the B6267; only ever been along this part in the opposite direction and was taken by surprise just how much it climbed – the subsequent sharp decent was expected to rejoin the A6108 and finally caught by a set of TTLs for works on the bridge over the River Ure, previously crossed at West Tanfield. Through Masham on the A road up the short sharp Avenue Bank (18.1% max) and continued on the A road before heading down a lane to the second word ABC of High Ellington.

I had not expected to find a nameboard and had taken a photo of the bike with sign at the junction, The nameboard needed its holly rearranging as otherwise it was Ig Ellingt !
Climbed through the village; the road beyond the OS map indicates as 14% to 20% and having zig zagged a bit the gradient of the road ahead went sharply upwards and I opted for Shanks’s Pony.
Back on the bike I then missed a turning, completely unsignposted, and thinking it was time for a snack a duck pond and bench appeared.

Not without a panic as a SD card self ejected out of the sportcam but was found. Headed south successfully up two 14-20% climbs, neither of which appear to exist as Starva segments. A subsequent decent does.

It was only as a junction approached I realised I was off route; the intended route would have taken me straight to Fearby Cross but I was west of Healey with both that and Fearby to pass through to regain the planned route with Keld Bank between. The speed off a fortunate downhill mitigating the 33% max climb at the foot of the Bank.

Downhill from Fearby Cross to cross the River Burn and then a climb to Swinton, followed by the same on Roomer Lane leading to the road south from Masham which had been resurfaced and made the climb up pass Hackfall that bit easier before decending to Grewlethorpe. The roads here form a village bypass which I took avoiding the steep climb into the village, pausing for a snack.
South to Kirkby Malzeard and then through Winksley for an OS chevron decent down to the River Laver

and a corresponding if shorter climb away. Through Aldfield and pass Fountains for the climbs to How Hill and at Watergate on NCN688 Way of the Roses. Down Scarah Bank to Ripley and a nice relatively new bench found at the north end of the village for another snack, a plague on it enscribed in respect of the 75th anniversary of VE Day. Current concerns evident by the flag on the Town Hall.

NCN67 cycle route as far as its A61 crossing then the outbound route largely reversed.
50.15 miles, 3510ft climbed 13.2mph avg

Last edited:
Tried a different route today for the next U3A meeting, and very successful it was too - totally avoiding the loathsome canal steps by leaving the canal towpath before the bridge and cutting through a pleasant park then round a couple of back streets. Sadly 'due to unforeseen circumstances' my favourite cafe was closed today so I didn't get a restorative coffee and cake.
Lots of people out walking dogs - the vast majority perfectly pleasant but a couple of them notably stupid (the people not the dogs I hasten to say - but isn't it funny how dogs try to imitate their owners ...) and one nearly had me in the canal despite my cycling speed being approx 6mph and the owner clearly seeing me on the wide (almost country lane width at that point) towpath. How I wish I were still nimble enough to kick while cycling. And how I wish that kicking the owner in self defence, rather than their unfortunate canine, were considered acceptable ...

theloafer

Legendary Member
great weather today so shorts and s/s shirt and mitts were called for ... fancied a ride up to parkhead station as once you get through B/Auckland its 32 miles all on cycle routes .the cafe was closed no bacon sarine today
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
returned almost same route but picked up the deerness valley cycle way as i dont like returning the same way lol longest ride this year 81 smiles
https://www.strava.com/activities/6870980725

AndreaJ

Veteran
A beautiful spring day and the first ride of the year in short sleeves having already resorted to shorts on Saturday. I had decided to explore some new lanes and set off towards Bettisfield carrying on through the village and onto the A495 for a short distance before turning off to Hanmer. Some pothole dodging was required on the way into the village where I carried on around Hanmer Mere onto another main road for a short distance. Turned off again towards Breadon Heath and back onto familiar lanes. Followed Rowe Lane to Balmer then onto Welshampton, Lyneal, Colemere and Loppington. On my way to Tilley I met a very irate woman in a car who having passed me stopped to shout at me for “cycling in the middle of the road into the oncoming traffic “ , as she was the only traffic I had seen since Welshampton and had passed me on a single track lane with no problem I couldn’t really understand what her problem was. I left her reversing while still shouting having decided not to waste my time trying to reason with her.
I carried on into Wem and over The Lowe with a detour around Ryebank and Horton to get past 50km. 32.5 miles on a lovely sunny day.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
If I couldn't get out on the bike today there really wouldn't be much hope for me. The first day on the bike for all but six months, so nothing spectacular. A modest 34 miles with one substantial climb around half way from Westbury to Mitcheldean, a lovely road which I seem to have avoided for at least a decade. There is a particularly steep section after which I had to pause to get my breath back. But I rode it, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

It would be highly reprehensible to produce a photo on such a day, and here it is. Near Upleadon looking towards the distant Cotswolds, an image which I'm sure would have qualified for the photo competition thread some months back:

Onwards and upwards!

Mike_P

Guru
Unusually a ride today as recommended, out into the headwind. It was only a light wind but a headwind is a headwind. Followed NCN67 to Wetherby except for the use of Haggs Road instead of going through Follifoot and also beyond Wetherby to the A659. Then the unclassified road alongside the A1 to Bramham; thence from the top of the climb towards the Bramham Park TLs the NCN66 cycle path to the A64/A1(M) junction. Navigated that on the cycle paths non-stop then back on the unclassified road to Aberford.
The road towards Lotherton Hall had Road Closed signs on it but whilst snacking I enquired of a passing cyclist who assured me it was passible and indeed it was although at one point use of the pavement was necessary.
Continued south-east to Sherburn in Elmet and then south through South Milford. Thereafter followed a signed cycle route which ended on the wrong side of a busy A162. Eventually joined for a short distance before heading east on the A63 to the second word ABC of Monk Fryston. 28.22 miles, 1365ft climbed, 13 mph avg.

I reset the Garmin as Cadance for some reason had not been showing.
Directly back to South Milford and Sherburn in Elmet, another snack, and on the A162 north through Barkston Ash and Towton to Tadcaster. A659 north west to join NCN665 across the River Wharf. The section that was closed last year transpired to have been for tree felling.
Waiting to join the road to Wetherby I noticed a group of cyclists instead join the continuation of NCN665 and decided to do the same. It had been tarmacked and many cyclists were using it. This put the re-routing feature of the Garmin into effect. I had tweaked its settings after yesterdays off route event to seek confirmation first and hence not keeping it a secret from me.
B6164 from Wetherby; I skillfully navigated the narrow strip of tarmac between two pot holes in Kirk Deighton; welcome back to North Yorkshire.
Paused at Little Ribston for a final snack and then through the Nidd Gorge in Knaresborough and up the A59 hill. Continued good luck with TTLs reoccurred on the A59 in north Harrogate. Return: 28.59 miles 1270ft climbed 13.8mph avg.

Yesterday, on the Scott. Two maps, one each way, while trying to sort out the auto-pause on MapMyRide. Each new version of the app seems to move things around and reset to defaults. Grrr...
Much pre-ride fiddling also made me late, which means I'd not eaten for hours and despite the low mileage, was completely wacked at the turnaround point. Have got the the FD shifting well, but cannot completely eliminate chain rub. I'll go with the shifting...
Lovely weather, headwind out but not too bad, first ride this year in shorts and short sleeves. Supposedly almost no wind today, we'll see...

Old jon

Guru
Definitely a day for a ride today, blue skies, hardly a breeze, and I want some miles. I chose to ride the Bob Jackson this morning, dithered a bit about the route and finally thought to ride out of Leeds on the A58.

In a northerly direction, that is. Not ridden out through New Farnley in quite a long time, and cannot think of a reason to do so. Towards Wetherby then, but not all the way there. I suppose the real reason to ride this way is to see how difficult it is to pedal up Boot Hill, ‘tis a while since I have done that. And it showed, I stopped at the top to rest the lungs a bit. Then onwards to the right turn onto Red Hall Lane.

That and Skeltons Lane have been made more than just a straight line recently. The Leeds Orbital road is making lots of changes around there, sort of wonder if any of the old roads will be left. Anyway, turn onto the first Thorner Lane of the day, and ride into Thorner. Down Sandhills that is, and as much fun as ever. Most of the way through the village and turn left onto Milner Lane. There was a car behind me, not in any sort of rush, and the road is not wide. And the driver did not lose patience until I was half way up the steep bit.

At the top is one end of the second Thorner Lane this morning. I stayed on Milner lane, the distant views were hidden in heat haze, still pleasant to ride along there. And lean the bike on a bit of hedge for a photograph. A little further along the road I had to turn right, on the way to more alliteration and the third Thorner Lane of the ride. And the last.

Bramham next, around the edge of the village on the road that parallels the A1(M) going south to Aberford. A quiet road this morning, over the A64 and keep going into Aberford. Cross Cock Beck and turn right, this road goes to Barwick. Fair quiet along here as well, one other cyclist vanishing into the distance, a horse rider in the opposite direction. Less than half a dozen cars until I had ridden through the village and was dropping down to the turn off for Seacroft.

On Milner Lane.JPG

Easy from there, down South Parkway to Wyke Beck and follow that shared use path back to Oakwood and the straight way home. Thirty one miles, the last few much warmer the the first, and 1168 feet going up. Big grin for that, a cracking ride.

This and thataway

24032022.jpg

2403elev.jpg

Another pleasant ride, bit less wind, few more people out and about.

Added a north loop out to Pitts Cleeve, allowing for a level blast back down the A386 into town. Then out to the usual spot a quarter of the way up the Leg O'Mutton ramp. Having managed to get the auto-pause to work correctly in MapMyRide, the average looks slightly better too.
Having thoughts about a complete change of frame, as I cannot realistically get the gears needed on the Scott, due to the braze-on FD. I need a round-tube alloy hybrid frame that will allow me to mess significantly with chainrings, and take bigger tyres. It's possible I could use the mixte as a testbed for this, using something like a 42-26t double setup. I so rarely use the big ring on the Scott, it's not worth having, so losing the 50t out on the mixte is not a problem. Time to scout out SJS!

ianbarton

Veteran
It was sunny with only a slight breeze, so decided to cycle to Wem. The sun
was shining and there was only a slight breeze. Even better the floods had
mostly disappeared and the hedge cuttings had long since been squashed by
passing traffic.

I set off on my usual route via Willaston and Millen Heath before crossing the
A49 and climbing the hill into Prees. A left turn opposite the church took me
along the Sustrans route 45. At Prees Green I crossed the A45 again and joined
the B road to Wem.

When I reached Wem there was a wait at the level crossing while I waited until
a single engine labelled Freight passed through. I stopped at my usual lunch
stop, the library cafe. I had accumulated enough points to get a free
Americano! After eating a sandwich with some salad and several packets of
biscuits I set off up the hill past Pyms house before dropping down into Lowe.

Crossing the canal at Dobsons Bridge I made my way through Whixhall before
joining the B road for short distance then turning off to Prees. I stopped at
the level crossing and waited for a train. It turned out to be the same single
diesel engine I had seen at Wem!

In Prees I followed the steep, but short hill to the church and turned off back
towards the A49. The breeze was now behind me and I made decent progress, to
Ightfield where most of the remaining ride was downhill.
** [

Wem High Street.
vlcsnap-2022-03-24-16h11m37s529.png

I have seen you before!
vlcsnap-2022-03-24-16h10m57s801.png
23_03_22 - A bike ride in Dodcott cum Wilkesley, England.png

Top Bottom