Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Plans to head deeper into the Vale of York today failed when upon joining a section of NCN67 the bike decided to protest with the front derailleur seemingly rotating slightly so that I could not change onto the middle gearwheel. This was actually a normal road section of NCN67 but I assume the bike is getting sensitive to that NCN. Anyway managed to fix it enough to continue on a shorter route and the bike no doubt was glad to see NCN67 turn left as I carried straight on in the village of Markington.
MARKINGTON.jpg

Further on in the village of Bishop Monkton NCN688 was joined, which is part of the Way of Roses Cycle route. Just creeping into the right side of this picture is a track which passes through a ford. The road network in the village means there is no real need to use it but nevertheless it featured in an episode of Inspector Frost
bm.jpg

A large part NCN688 east from here is along a single track road with passing places. The drivers of these two cars gave me a friendly wave for waiting in one such passing place having had to squeeze past the cyclist further down the road.
BM BB.jpg

The next village is Roecliffe which features a large village green and this well tree lined approach
rOECLIFFE.jpg

Reaching Boroughbridge I decided to call the eastward adventure to a halt and headed towards Knaresborough. Due to a triathlon resulting in road closures I ended spending too much time on a twisty undulating fast A road but safely reached the pleasant surroundings of the River Nidd. Like all good viaducts todays Knaresborough viaduct is the second, the first collapsed when almost complete in 1848 and this one was finished three years later.
KBORO.jpg

Continuing the railway theme in the eastern suburbs of Harrogate a cycle track runs in a north westerly direction along the alignment of the original Leeds to Ripon railway before trains ran through Harrogate.
STAR BILT.jpg

This cycle track has those annoying V barriers at it southern end and at a point along its length. At the northern end it joins......NCN67, which was quickly left before the bike could throw any more wobbles!

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
An eventful audax today .... my latest round of the "Metric century a Month Challenge". Turned up for the "Teddy Bears' Picnic" audax from a village near Tewkesbury to find that all my laborious conversion of the route sheet into miles was in vain, as there were last minute route changes to the 101km event, and it was now 103.6km. Still, at least I had an actual map to fall back on in my oldschool flatnav.

The start was disrupted by the arrival of a mad woman in a Range Rover. Faced with a village hall that had been pre-booked months ago and a car park jammed full of cars and about 50 cyclists being given their pre-ride briefing, she just sat there, half way through the gate. Then, without any warning (or even asking to be let in), she just suddenly drove forward straight into one of the cyclists, shoving him off his bike and forcing his bike under her car. Then followed an expletive-laden tirade apparently against all cyclists. Someone said they could smell drink on her breath, and tried to take her keys off her, resulting in a further assault with fists. Unbelievably, it was her who called the police.:wacko: By the time we got back six hours later, she had only just left, having wasted six hours of police time. Surprisingly, as it happened on private land, they didn't breathalyse her. As I was loading my bike back on my car at the end, a couple of other riders reported that she was back again, now driving a different car, and forcing cyclists off the road just down the lane.:eek:. ..... What an ABSOLUTE WACK JOB!

The ride itself was a pleasure. 27 miles from Bushley (near Tewkesbury) to the Dean Heritage Centre at Soudley in the middle of the Forest of Dean, followed by an 18 mile trip over to the Weston's cider factory at Much Marcle (with magnificent views of the Malverns to one side and the Welsh mountains to the other) and another remarkably flat 18 mile return leg that picked its way through the hills brilliantly with hardly a climb. Had the pleasure of being accompanied round by a decent guy called Bernie from Chipping Sodbury and, in the latter stages, by a fellow Cyclechatter called @Banjo who i was also pleased to meet. Unfortunately Bernie clattered to the ground at the Dean Heritage Centre, giving everyone a bit of a scare. I stayed with him for 15 minutes until the first aiders were happy for him to continue, and then we finished the ride together. He had a battered and bleeding elbow, but otherwise seemed in better shape than me for the rest of the ride, as I started to cramp up a little at the 37 mile mark. Fortunately that came to nothing and we both posted a time of 6 hrs 5 mins for 103.6km - not bad including a 15 minute injury delay and 2 decent cafe breaks. I'm happy with that.

199 Dean heritage Centre, Teddybears' Picnic.jpg

Feeling good now I'm 7 down and 5 to go in this challenge, and I've got another of these....
201.jpg

@maltloaf, from my club is also still keeping going with the challenge, but I'll bet you he does his July ride on the 31st as he seems to thrive on deadlines. Somehow I don't think I'll make the club ride twith @Dark46 etc tomorrow. Aching like never before.
Cheers, everyone. Donger

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
An eventful audax today .... my latest round of the "Metric century a Month Challenge". Turned up for the "Teddy Bears' Picnic" audax from a village near Tewkesbury to find that all my laborious conversions of the route sheet into miles was in vain, as there were last minute route changes to the 101km event, and it was now 103.6km. Still, at least I had an actual map to fall back on in my oldschool flatnav.

The start was disrupted by the arrival of a mad woman in a Range Rover. Faced with a village hall that had been pre-booked months ago and a car park jammed full of cars and about 50 cyclists being given their pre-ride briefing, she just sat there, half way through the gate. Then, without any warning (or even asking to be let in), she just suddenly drove forward straight into one of the cyclists, shoving him off his bike and forcing his bike under her car. Then followed an expletive-laden tirade apparently against all cyclists. Someone said they could smell drink on her breath, and tried to take her keys off her, resulting in a further assault with fists. Unbelievably, it was her who called the police.:wacko: By the time we got back six hours later, she had only just left, having wasted six hours of police time. Surprisingly, as it happened on private land, they didn't breathalyse her. As I was loading my bike back on my car at the end, a couple of other riders reported that she was back again, now driving a different car, and forcing cyclists off the road just down the lane.:eek:. ..... What an ABSOLUTE WACK JOB!

The ride itself was a pleasure. 27 miles from Bushley (near Tewkesbury) to the Dean Heritage Centre at Soudley in the middle of the Forest of Dean, followed by an 18 mile trip over to the Weston's cider factory (with magnificent views of the Malverns to one side and the Welsh mountains to the other) and another remarkably flat 18 mile return leg that picked its way through the hills brilliantly with hardly a climb. Had the pleasure of being accompanied round by a decent guy called Bernie from Chipping Sodbury and, in the latter stages, by a fellow Cyclechatter called @Banjo who i was also pleased to meet. Unfortunately Bernie clattered to the ground at the Dean Heritage Centre, giving everyone a bit of a scare. I stayed with him for 15 minutes until the first aiders were happy for him to continue, and then we finished the ride together. He had a battered and bleeding elbow, but otherwise seemed in better shape than me for the rest of the ride, as I started to cramp up a little at the 37 mile mark. Fortunately that came to nothing and we both posted a time of 6 hrs 5 mins for 103.6km - not bad including a 15 minute injury delay and 2 decent cafe breaks. I'm happy with that.

View attachment 95833

Feeling good now I'm 7 down and 5 to go in this challenge, and I've got another of these....
View attachment 95834
@maltloaf, from my club is also still keeping going with the challenge, but I'll bet you he does his July ride on the 31st as he seems to thrive on deadlines. Somehow I don't think I'll make the club ride twith @Dark46 etc tomorrow. Aching like never before.
Cheers, everyone. Donger
Sounds like she needs locking up a bit sharpish!!

robjh

Legendary Member
I rolled into Cambridge at a leisurely pace this morning to meet @MisterStan , @Stephen C ........ and lo and behold @robjh !
We looked the very picture of lethargy and I think we could have happily sat on Kings wall all day and watch the world go by. Eventually we go on our way and left town via the Coton cycle path. We crossed Madingley rd and headed for Madingley village. From there we went on the roller coaster Long Rd to Comberton.
This was just my convoluted route to get to Chapel Hill in Haslingfield without going on busy roads. Up and over the hill, a skinny young thing on a TT bike whizzed by. We followed the smoke trail he'd left through Orwell.
"A hill or hills?" Was the question....
Non committal mumbles was the reply.
Hills it is then. We turned for Old Wimpole where a young lady was training up an even younger shire horse. At the top of the hill we stopped at the very well appointed rest room for a comfort break, then a short spell on the A1198, like nessies back! We turned right at the roundabout and went along until we made a right turn for Hatley......

At this point we stopped to check that we had the defibrillator, oxygen and put the air ambulance on standby cos up ahead was a 10% hill. You may laugh you people with your Yorkshires, Devons and Highlands etc, but this was a very serious undertaking for us! You'll all be glad to know that we all crested the hill like it was a ripple in a duvet, we're real men!

After this exertion we stopped at Waresley garden centre for light refreshments before heading back to town. Through Great Gransden we went when all of a sudden Rob yelled "stop lads!"
Well, what could it be? Had his gentlemen bits got caught in his chain? Had he spotted his great aunt Maude? Had he seen a bevy of scantily clad super models?

No.

View attachment 95792
Courgettes 50p each. Who could resist that?
We rolled back to town for various flavours of ice cream and then went our separate ways, one lives North, one South, one East and me to the west of town.
I was on just about 60 miles and I thought I'd do my July century.
I ended up at Gamlingay which was our furthest point in the morning, but I used a slightly different route. I did this as I could ride back with a tail wind.
There is an ordinary old grass verge in Gamlingay...
View attachment 95793
View attachment 95794
Brim full with wild flowers. Whoever is responsible is a hero!
I'd bought a pack of wine gums to give myself a treat and I was really enjoying them, but why is it, your going to eat it any way, and it makes NO difference, but you HAVE to look to see what colour it is before you eat it?

I knew that I had one wine gum left....... And I saved it until Kingston. As I rode past the church I caved in, I reached into my jersey pocket..... What's it going to be?
A black one!!!!!!! It doesn't get any better! I lobbed it in, bit down and felt the crown drop onto my tongue. Oh bugger! That went in my jersey pocket.

And home. 100.5 miles. I can't be king of the mountain as I've lost my crown.....

A good day!

http://www.strava.com/activities/343840356

Edit- having just read @Nomadski I forgot to say that we saw a purple Messerschmidt bubble car, the fella driving had a matching colour sweat shirt, cool or what?

As @Dave 123 says, a very good ride. I'd been hinting for a couple of days that I might be free for this ride, but come this morning I thought 'in for a penny etc', so despite nursing a tender head from an enjoyable Friday night I rocked up to King's Parade at 9 am. as arranged. Along with Dave and @Stephen C who I met in Cambridge last September, I got to meet a new CC face in the shape of @MisterStan.
Dave showed me some roads I didn't know to the west of Cambridge - I'm used to dashing through on clubruns but have rarely explored the smaller roads inbetween - and found some of the few decent hills in the area, of which the road through the Wimpole estate was the most memorable. In this vertically challenged region you have to cherish every incline that you have.
Not content with the roadside courgette stop I finished the day with a bit of food shopping on Mill Road, Cambridge, and was then buzzed by a WW2 bomber on my way back to Duxford. We take these things in our stride round here. I clocked up 72 miles in all.

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Starting at the crest of Sherman Pass in the Cascade Mountaintains, I freewheeled downhill for twelve and a half miles stopping at eleven miles to explore a historical site of pre WWII job creation in the Washington forests. I continued on to Colville and headed for a cyclist only hostel whose fees are by donation. I met an interesting pensioner at a super market who shared her life story with me - a very precious twenty minutes. Three miles from the hostel a pick up truck stopped and its driver insisted on ferrying me to the hostel because it was uphill most of the way. I shivered today because the temperature has dropped from 106°F to 77°F.

IMG_20150711_090139084.jpg
IMG_20150711_101909317.jpg
IMG_20150711_163555289.jpg

A leisurely and rewarding forty miles.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
nice early morning ride that i had hoped would be my first ride on the Peugoet 531 pro i picked up last week that i got back from lbs yesterday , but seeing as we had a bit of rain overnight i opted for the Aende Tourer as that has guards fitted .
Normal 20 mile loop that takes in a bridge crossing the A45 dual carriageway where there was a 50 mile time trial going along so stood and watched the first 6 riders go along and past .
Rest of the ride was nice with a good mix of head and tail winds , even had to roll my trousers up at one point as my legs were getting a bit warm and sweaty .

Enjoy your day guys and gals

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It was incredible inside.So old fashioned,just like pubs used to be.It was packed outside when i passed it on my return journey.They were turning people away,they had a Wedding do later that afternoon. View attachment 95874

Did you get to see the crucial barn out the back? It's only a few years old, but fantastic.
If I went there again I'd have to start drinking again as their beer is fairly special too!

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Tbh this is because of Ride London. Quite happily go back to 30-odd miles afterwards :laugh::laugh:

I tend to find if it's a good ride, after 30 miles I generally feel like I should have stayed out longer. I know my cycling buddy finds the 30-40 mile mark pretty much perfect, I feel the most satisfaction after 50-60 mile rides.

My issue is finding new routes, I really enjoy riding when I'm seeing something new, something different. I think I have worn out the Kingston to Newlands Corner section of the RL route to the point of boredom!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Usual Sunday morning pootle with our lass. Got absolutely drenched in what can only be described as a cloud burst, for five minutes or so it was torrential. By the time we got home we were both nice and dry apart from our feet.

29 miles for the ride took me to 597 miles for the week. So when we got home I nipped to Sainsburys to make my first ever 600 mile week ^_^

Simontm

Veteran
I tend to find if it's a good ride, after 30 miles I generally feel like I should have stayed out longer. I know my cycling buddy finds the 30-40 mile mark pretty much perfect, I feel the most satisfaction after 50-60 mile rides.

My issue is finding new routes, I really enjoy riding when I'm seeing something new, something different. I think I have worn out the Kingston to Newlands Corner section of the RL route to the point of boredom!
The same for me. Think that's why I headed out to Amersham last week and Guildford, just for variety. Also crowds. Much prefer the Hampton Court through Surrey route when I have Toil days. Not too many people head out towards Windsor either which is weird. Past Staines, it's a nice ride.

Top Bottom