Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Today i got a monkey off my back.I went to Burnsall,the last three miles were not pretty,but after stopping off at The Craven Arms for a pint of Cola,i got there.A couple of sarnies two coffees one and half hour stop.in the beautiful sunshine.I set off for home,and thanks to the undulations being in my favour i flew into Otley.Where i had two lattes at my favourite cafe.Then i made my way home.60 miles.Longest ride in over a year.:hyper::bicycle:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Marriotts-Bure-Salhouse.jpg

We went there ^^
We started off up the Marriotts Way and stopped off 11 miles in at Whitwell Station for coffee and cake (coffee cake for me, carrot cake for Hubster). We were there for about 20 minutes, chatting with a couple of elderly chaps who used to cycle but have had hip replacements so now can't. They are thinking recumberating might be the way to go. Good on them.
We nipped across Reepham, rather than riding around the loop today and then picked the Marriotts back up at Reepham Station Cafe (we don't use that, it's very very expensive) and got pedalling. It all gets a bit narrow at Cawston
narrow%20at%20cawston%20598x800.jpg
But we kicked on as DCI Barnaby is based at Cawston and we didn't want to take the risk of being murdered, cycling being a niche hobby and being in the vicinity of some woods. The way seems to have sustained a bit of storm damage as it was more rutted than the last time we rode it. I'm sure I've loosened a few fillings. We stopped a couple of times to get proper feeling back into our hands.
Phew, Cawston behind us and we were heading nicely to Aylsham, where we stopped at Tesco and bought water to top our bidons up and some Calippo Minis. Put a couple in my bidon for nice orangy cold water. Well 1 1/2 as I ate half of one.

From here we picked up the Bure Valley Railway Path - just over the road and opposite Tesco so we had about 40 yards of tarmac to cover. Gorgeous. Then back on the rough stuff (to any proper, hard core MTBers out there, I apologise as you have proper rough stuff, this is rough stuff in comparison to nice, smooth tarmac)

Hubster waiting for a train
Hubster%20at%20Brampton%20800x598.jpg
Me waiting for a train
Me%20at%20Buxton%20800x598.jpg
Train called John of Gaunt, for those into that sort of thing. We waved at the grockles on board.
johf%20gaunt%202%20800x598.jpg

We ran out of path at Wroxham, battled through the tourists and on to Salhouse and stopped at the Bell PH for a coke and Hubster had a bag of Salt & Vinegar xx(
From there we headed back to Norwich via Plumstead Road, so a nice 5 miles or so before stopping at the Norwich Puppet Theatre to stroke their guest.
Puppet%20Theatre%20Dragon%20800x598.jpg

There were more dragons but I am off Dragon Hunting tomorrow, after guitar lesson (different teacher :secret: same school)
I am going to put all the dragon pics up on my cycling blog as I am sure that CCers really don't want to see pics of our bikes alongside 80+ GoGo Dragons as a ride report.

42.21 miles in 3 hrs 45 mins (riding time) so 11.25mph or so. 28 miles of which was off road, hence taking the CXs. Roadies tomorrow. Bliss.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Man this thread is so different to the Beginners Show Us Your Progress thread! "Just did a short 57 mile ride...."

:biggrin:

@Racing roadkill - That 170 mile ride was truly epic. Love the fun pics too, brought a chuckle!

My ride was far more modest, am trying to keep the long rides down with just 3 weeks to RideLondon to go. A 30 miler a week will probably do me fine right now.

With that in mind, did the Superhighway tour into town, round to Bucks Palace, down to Battersea Park Road where my cycling bud spotted a cyclecafe....

ddOhH7Il.jpg

So a quick stop for cake and tea, had a look around the shop and spotted a fatboy called "Bonkers" on special offer for £650 (ex demo)...

5rYsahMl.jpg

zXMc6rsl.jpg

While outside looking for an ATM, I also spotted a different kind of vehicle...

54D6o4Zl.jpg

CN873nTl.jpg

Over to Richmond Park via The Priory and was hit by a gale force headwind on Sawyers Hill. Every.Time.

Ice cream and tea at Pen Ponds cafe...

TuEK5oJl.jpg

Traffic was rubbish, lights went red at every opportunity, wind turned round constantly all day so it was always in my face, but it was sunny, warm and 36 miles on the clock so all good!

https://app.strava.com/activities/343788905

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I rolled into Cambridge at a leisurely pace this morning to meet @MisterStan , @Stephen C ........ and lo and behold @robjh !
We looked the very picture of lethargy and I think we could have happily sat on Kings wall all day and watch the world go by. Eventually we go on our way and left town via the Coton cycle path. We crossed Madingley rd and headed for Madingley village. From there we went on the roller coaster Long Rd to Comberton.
This was just my convoluted route to get to Chapel Hill in Haslingfield without going on busy roads. Up and over the hill, a skinny young thing on a TT bike whizzed by. We followed the smoke trail he'd left through Orwell.
"A hill or hills?" Was the question....
Non committal mumbles was the reply.
Hills it is then. We turned for Old Wimpole where a young lady was training up an even younger shire horse. At the top of the hill we stopped at the very well appointed rest room for a comfort break, then a short spell on the A1198, like nessies back! We turned right at the roundabout and went along until we made a right turn for Hatley......

At this point we stopped to check that we had the defibrillator, oxygen and put the air ambulance on standby cos up ahead was a 10% hill. You may laugh you people with your Yorkshires, Devons and Highlands etc, but this was a very serious undertaking for us! You'll all be glad to know that we all crested the hill like it was a ripple in a duvet, we're real men!

After this exertion we stopped at Waresley garden centre for light refreshments before heading back to town. Through Great Gransden we went when all of a sudden Rob yelled "stop lads!"
Well, what could it be? Had his gentlemen bits got caught in his chain? Had he spotted his great aunt Maude? Had he seen a bevy of scantily clad super models?

No.

image.jpg

Courgettes 50p each. Who could resist that?
We rolled back to town for various flavours of ice cream and then went our separate ways, one lives North, one South, one East and me to the west of town.
I was on just about 60 miles and I thought I'd do my July century.
I ended up at Gamlingay which was our furthest point in the morning, but I used a slightly different route. I did this as I could ride back with a tail wind.
There is an ordinary old grass verge in Gamlingay...
image.jpg

image.jpg

Brim full with wild flowers. Whoever is responsible is a hero!
I'd bought a pack of wine gums to give myself a treat and I was really enjoying them, but why is it, your going to eat it any way, and it makes NO difference, but you HAVE to look to see what colour it is before you eat it?

I knew that I had one wine gum left....... And I saved it until Kingston. As I rode past the church I caved in, I reached into my jersey pocket..... What's it going to be?
A black one!!!!!!! It doesn't get any better! I lobbed it in, bit down and felt the crown drop onto my tongue. Oh bugger! That went in my jersey pocket.

And home. 100.5 miles. I can't be king of the mountain as I've lost my crown.....

A good day!

http://www.strava.com/activities/343840356

Edit- having just read @Nomadski I forgot to say that we saw a purple Messerschmidt bubble car, the fella driving had a matching colour sweat shirt, cool or what?

Man this thread is so different to the Beginners Show Us Your Progress thread! "Just did a short 57 mile ride...."

:biggrin:

@Racing roadkill - That 170 mile ride was truly epic. Love the fun pics too, brought a chuckle!

My ride was far more modest, am trying to keep the long rides down with just 3 weeks to RideLondon to go. A 30 miler a week will probably do me fine right now.

With that in mind, did the Superhighway tour into town, round to Bucks Palace, down to Battersea Park Road where my cycling bud spotted a cyclecafe....

ddOhH7Il.jpg

So a quick stop for cake and tea, had a look around the shop and spotted a fatboy called "Bonkers" on special offer for £650 (ex demo)...

5rYsahMl.jpg

zXMc6rsl.jpg

While outside looking for an ATM, I also spotted a different kind of vehicle...

54D6o4Zl.jpg

CN873nTl.jpg

Over to Richmond Park via The Priory and was hit by a gale force headwind on Sawyers Hill. Every.Time.

Ice cream and tea at Pen Ponds cafe...

TuEK5oJl.jpg

Traffic was rubbish, lights went red at every opportunity, wind turned round constantly all day so it was always in my face, but it was sunny, warm and 36 miles on the clock so all good!

https://app.strava.com/activities/343788905

They all count, it isn't quantity, it's quality that makes them.:thumbsup:

Simontm

Veteran
White horse, Parsons Green.
That's the one! ^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
9.3 miles my ride this day, Fuji finally back on its feet and feeling better, now with trekking bars and thumb shifters, which may also be applied to another project waiting in que as I like thumb shifters a great deal. I went through the countryside, my ride punctuated by light rain, which then turned into moderate rain, and a downpour hit just as I got in the garage. Still in all, a very wet and enjoyable ride, though I would not have cared for riding in the downpour much, I'll warrant. Calm winds and 22C or 72 F.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
July imperial century done today, just over 111 miles in total. Left the house just after 5am and didn't see anyone for the first 20 odd miles, but then saw loads of cyclists out and about.

Came across one cyclist who had a puncture and was walking home, I offered to give him a tube but he declined.

For once I took a photo, this is the King Lear Lake in Watermead Park

WP_20150711_11_15_55_Pro.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/343637693

Stephen C

Über Member
I rolled into Cambridge at a leisurely pace this morning to meet @MisterStan , @Stephen C ........ and lo and behold @robjh !
We looked the very picture of lethargy and I think we could have happily sat on Kings wall all day and watch the world go by. Eventually we go on our way and left town via the Coton cycle path. We crossed Madingley rd and headed for Madingley village. From there we went on the roller coaster Long Rd to Comberton.
This was just my convoluted route to get to Chapel Hill in Haslingfield without going on busy roads. Up and over the hill, a skinny young thing on a TT bike whizzed by. We followed the smoke trail he'd left through Orwell.
"A hill or hills?" Was the question....
Non committal mumbles was the reply.
Hills it is then. We turned for Old Wimpole where a young lady was training up an even younger shire horse. At the top of the hill we stopped at the very well appointed rest room for a comfort break, then a short spell on the A1198, like nessies back! We turned right at the roundabout and went along until we made a right turn for Hatley......

At this point we stopped to check that we had the defibrillator, oxygen and put the air ambulance on standby cos up ahead was a 10% hill. You may laugh you people with your Yorkshires, Devons and Highlands etc, but this was a very serious undertaking for us! You'll all be glad to know that we all crested the hill like it was a ripple in a duvet, we're real men!

After this exertion we stopped at Waresley garden centre for light refreshments before heading back to town. Through Great Gransden we went when all of a sudden Rob yelled "stop lads!"
Well, what could it be? Had his gentlemen bits got caught in his chain? Had he spotted his great aunt Maude? Had he seen a bevy of scantily clad super models?

No.

View attachment 95792
Courgettes 50p each. Who could resist that?
We rolled back to town for various flavours of ice cream and then went our separate ways, one lives North, one South, one East and me to the west of town.
I was on just about 60 miles and I thought I'd do my July century.
I ended up at Gamlingay which was our furthest point in the morning, but I used a slightly different route. I did this as I could ride back with a tail wind.
There is an ordinary old grass verge in Gamlingay...
View attachment 95793
View attachment 95794
Brim full with wild flowers. Whoever is responsible is a hero!
I'd bought a pack of wine gums to give myself a treat and I was really enjoying them, but why is it, your going to eat it any way, and it makes NO difference, but you HAVE to look to see what colour it is before you eat it?

I knew that I had one wine gum left....... And I saved it until Kingston. As I rode past the church I caved in, I reached into my jersey pocket..... What's it going to be?
A black one!!!!!!! It doesn't get any better! I lobbed it in, bit down and felt the crown drop onto my tongue. Oh bugger! That went in my jersey pocket.

And home. 100.5 miles. I can't be king of the mountain as I've lost my crown.....

A good day!

http://www.strava.com/activities/343840356

Edit- having just read @Nomadski I forgot to say that we saw a purple Messerschmidt bubble car, the fella driving had a matching colour sweat shirt, cool or what?
An excellent write up of an excellent ride, I totalled 83 miles by the time I got home, with the added bonus of a variety of planes circling close to Duxford.

Next time remind me to put more sun cream on, although it's all working towards the cultivation of some good tan lines:
20150711_192552.jpg

Top Bottom