Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
29 miles today, out for an easy ride through Gloucestershire with my mate Simon. We took the quiet lanes out to Newent via Maisemore, Hartpury College and Highleadon and then commenced a search for a bank holiday pint. All the pubs and cafes in Newent were closed with the exception of the Black Dog. Even that showed no sign of life from the outside, so we tried the front door .... which opened with a loud creak that caused all the drinkers in the bar to stop what they were doing, turn and watch us silently. :eek:Like a scene from An American Werewolf in London. The barman spoke barely two words and we decided to opt for the beer garden to sup our pints of cider. The barman came outside to make a phone call, and seemed completely at ease with the regulars letting their dogs sh*t wherever they wanted in the beer garden:stop:. Lovely. We didn't hang around for long.

We retraced our route home, stopping to watch a herd of playful horses cantering around a field. Then back along the banks of the Severn before we parted ways and I followed the canal path back home. Not the sunny day that was promised, but a nice ride despite the grey overcast weather.

Old jon

Guru
Early, for me. Must have been the excitement of a ride today that started me two hours sooner than usual. Route already in mind had to be scrapped, I wanted to visit a bike shop to arrange for a new headset to be fitted. And I went the long way around.

Me and the Jacko went off into the quiet of early, peacefully around Holbeck and across Crown Point Bridge. Everywhere is up from here, except downstream to Woodlesford and I ain’t going that way. Oakwood Clock first, then to Moortown Corner and north to Alwoodley Lane. Traffic is building up, but this bit is OK. And wide. Turn right onto King Lane, then right again to ride up the side of Golden Acre Park.

The first bit of downhill, to Bramhope, is a welcome rest. Not done many miles at all this year and the legs know it. The drizzle started before I had ridden out of the village, and the view of the Wharfe valley ahead was under water. Didn’t really fancy that prospect, so I turned left at the Dyneley Arms traffic lights. Then put the brain in gear, this next bit is steep! Not really steep, but enough. It was good to reach the top and turn left.

Turn right in not-so-old Bramhope, it has been a while since I rode past the water tower at Cookridge, and the road from here to there is lumpy, all the way to the highest point of the ride today. Which of course means it is all downhill from now. And the school run must be over, too, so no queues of cars going nowhere. Headingley, turn right to go to Kirkstall and stay on the road, left, to visit Woodrup’s.

‘I need a headset replacing,’ says I. ‘OK, we are booking in on the 16th.’ Says he. Then I told him, not this bike, but the Cinelli I picked up (after you resprayed it) last Thursday. ‘Oh, the blue Cinelli?’ ‘Yup.’ ‘Bring it in in the morning, we will fit it in during the next few days.’ Happy me pedalled away home, and reached there twenty seven miles after leaving. Somewhere along the way the road went upwards for 1230 feet, and the smile was there all the way around.

No photographs, just garthing inspired pics . . .

03052022.jpg

0305elev.jpg

a.twiddler

Veteran
30/4/22

The Linear rides again!

Or, the garden chair hits the road once more. My bike mileage has hit rock bottom this year despite my good intentions to become a mightily thighed athlete in time for my summer trip to Wales. (Delusional? What do you mean, delusional?)

Annoyingly, no pictures this time as the camera battery is flat because er, um, I forgot to charge it in time. As some sort of balance, this is my first run with the Garmin.

Out on to the pavement and on to the road an uneventful launch takes place. Facing into a mild head wind I brave the potholes on the Wettenhall road. Down the dip over the narrow-bridged traffic-lighted Wettenhall Brook and up again on the lesser slope on the other side. I am lucky to be passed by a car just before the lights which are set to bring vehicles to a stop before they turn green. The car triggers the lights as I am still rolling downhill so I use my momentum to get up the worst of the slope before changing down and spinning up the rest of it.

At the start of every ride there is always the strangeness, the unfamiliarity as you settle into it, an alertness as you seek any sign that anything isn’t quite right before your body temperature evens out and you settle into the seat and take up any slack in the controls. When travelling in this direction, this dip is the point where everything falls into place for me.

Onwards and upwards through the unsheltered Cheshire countryside where the wind not only supplies some resistance but brings the three dimensional smells, sounds and colours of spring as the blossoms blow in the breeze like pink and white snowfall.

Under the Crewe -Chester railway bridge, over the humped canal bridge at Venetian marina. Over the variously pitted road surfaces, through Poole, down a dip, across a bridge then up a short climb to turn right along a lane for Poolehill.

I find myself alongside the Shropshire Union canal towpath and on seeing a mountain biker then some walkers I’m tempted to join them as they’re making good progress. I’ve ridden this route before, and the towpath in the vicinity of Nantwich is pretty good though further out it is uncomfortable even on a mountain bike. I resist the temptation. I’m trying to make a point of riding less familiar routes this year, with a view to assembling a kinder route to Mid Wales than I took last time.

I become aware of a furious barking as a narrow boat passes by with a couple of terrier type dogs in a cage on the roof. The placid dog accompanying a canalside walker seems perplexed by all the fuss. Perhaps it’s the only way the boat owner can avoid them drowning themselves every time they see another dog.

I keep on rolling, then turn right on to the A51 at Henhull bridge, a difficult turning due to poor sightlines of oncoming traffic climbing the hump of the canal bridge. I sidle left at the next traffic lights to Acton, then right on Monks Lane past the picturesque St Mary’s Church. Beyond the church, on the right there is, according to the map, an old moat, the remains of a castle, manor house or monastery perhaps. Nothing is visible from the road. I continue on Monks Lane down a long dip and up the other side to a crossroads, straight across the A534 then stop at a lay by on a 4 way A and C road junction with Swanley Lane and Ravens Lane. I stop for a brief break and a look at the map and crunch some crisps. Another couple on bikes are poring separately over a map but they don’t consult me. Perhaps my recumbent weirdness is just too much for them.

They precede me down Ravens Lane, and I pass them consulting a couple of passers by and pointing at their map. The lane continues and becomes Tally Ho Lane, (you couldn’t make it up). I struggle with the speed at first then it becomes easier.

A sporty cyclist passes me going down a dip and over a bridge and and I keep behind him until the hill steepens on the other side. I get up it OK but he is long gone by the time the road levels again. I soon come out on to the A51. Left towards Nantwich. A pleasant trip to Welsh Row with a left turn then a right at the lights. Sharp left into winding Welshman’s Lane, then a wait to get across the busy Chester/Wrexham road into Wettenhall Lane.

Some heroic potholes along the way make it a teeth rattling brain bruising slalom at times to avoid the worst of them. It actually hurts when the shock wave travels from the base of your spine and shoves your brain against the inside of your forehead. The pain takes a minute or so to disperse. You can brace your feet against the pedals and raise yourself in the seat to a certain extent but it’s not like standing on the pedals on an upright bike. Still, it’s pretty rare to fail to avoid such a severe bump and I think the last time I mentioned such a thing was in the same spot sometime last year. I remember thinking, “do I need rear suspension? What disadvantages might that bring?” and it never really came up again. The Linear is such an odd collection of attributes that the good points balance out the bad ones, at least for me. If it comes to the crunch, I suppose I could just ride even mmoorree sslloowwllyy when needed at such times.

To distact me from my fading headache I have that rarest of things, an actual following wind, for most of the way back, not strong, but enough to be able to enjoy a light but slow cadence with a respectable cruising speed to boot. Well, respectable for me.

As I roll along in this stately manner, passed by the occasional road biker, I’m already thinking about a longer trip later this year. I already have an idea of the route needed to Mid Wales avoiding major roads and hills as far as possible so I will be fresher for the hills on the second day, unlike last time (He hopes fervently).

With all that whizzing around in my head, I am soon home. The Garmin works fine in the bike computer mode. Next, need to work out how to get a route on to it for the longer trips.

Max 25mph, average 8.3, distance 23.2miles

Total Ascent:​
425​
ft​
Total Descent:
423​
ft​
Start Elevation:
188​
ft​
End Elevation:
190​
ft​
Min Elevation:
122​
ft​
Max Elevation:
228​
ft​
37 ft per mile ascent. Elevation info from bike hike.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: I used the knockabout bike because I wanted to experiment with the saddle adjustment and headed up Lyth Hill with the intention of heading to Pontesbury and Habberley. A courteous driver let me out onto the road ahead of them right at the start when they didn't have to, which was nice, and the bike felt great from the off - as though I'd freed a dragging brake. I did have a slight tailwind so I tried not to read too much into it until I'd covered a few more miles.

The climb up Lyth Hill went well and I took the rough track across the top to drop down on the Annscroft side before picking up the road to Plealey then Pontesbury. The bank holiday traffic was a little busy so I turned off on Bogey Lane (yes, that's real) and past Mary Webb School to head towards Habberley. The bike had felt good up the climb but on the steeper climbs after Habberley I thought I could perhaps do with the saddle a little higher so raised it another couple of mm. That felt pretty good on the way to Pulverbatch then Wilderley.

Reaching Smethcott I had the nice descent to Leebotwood and as things were going well I decided to do the longer version of the route to Dudgeley. Meeting a van on one of the narrow lanes I squeezed in to the side and they carried on by at undiminished speed which I thought a bit off.

Having crossed over the railway and heading for the A49 I came across a group of loose sheep - which gave a bit of a dilemma as by running from me they were headed for the main road.:ohmy: Fortunately a cyclist came from the other direction and between us we were able to steer them back along the lane. She then offered to herd them back where they had come from.

Having had a tailwind earlier in the ride I'd expected the headwind on the way back. It wasn't too bad and I got along fairly well through Hollyhurst and on my way to Longnor. A van coming at me a little briskly for the width of the lane turned out to be the same one I'd met earlier.:rolleyes: I thought I'd extend the ride again by heading to Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop. I hadn't gone far when I found that the adjustment which had worked on the hills didn't feel so good on the flat. Moving the saddle forward a few mm seemed better.

I got through Condover without incident and looking across the fields the A49 didn't seem too busy so I headed the flatter way back, however I did end up having to wait a bit to join the road when I got to it.

32.1 miles at 12.7 mph average. Not too shabby for a hilly route on this bike.

20220502_135356.jpg

It was very misty all day. The Wrekin is barely visible under a moody sky.

20220502_142644.jpg

Nills Farm near Pontesbury.

20220502_145153.jpg

On the way to Wilderley, Lyth Hill is reasonably clear to see and Haughmond Hill can just about be made out beyond it.

20220502_145419.jpg

Approaching Wilderley Hall.

20220502_152046.jpg

The view of Caer Caradoc just before getting to Dudgeley.

20220502_152630.jpg

I'm pretty sure you three shouldn't be out here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today: I had an idea about doing a longish ride in the afternoon but the forecast didn't look ideal so I had a rethink. It took a while to decide on an alternative but I settled on going a different way round the same area as yesterday. The knockabout bike was used again as it's easy to get out.

I headed on the main road route to Condover to start with, then to Ryton where I turned to go through Gonsal. This lane turned out to be busier than expected which I think was due to people trying to avoid roadworks in nearby Dorrington. Having crossed the A49 it was quiet and after Stapleton I only saw a couple of vehicles on my way to Church Pulverbatch. At Pulverbatch I had the main road to myself for the half-mile or so I was on it before turning off along a very narrow lane to Wrentnall then climbing up to Oaks.

Having been chased by a farm dog at Oaks (all noise, no attempt to bite) I headed down the nice long descent into Plealey. Apart from a couple of walkers about halfway down I had it all to myself until right at the end. To make a change after Plealey I went along the lane that cuts across to Arscott Hall - another one that was empty and, stopping in a gateway about halfway along, it was very pleasant to hear nothing but the sounds of nature.^_^

I thought I'd do the reverse of yesterday's route through Annscroft, up Lyth Hill and along the rough track then added an extra section along lanes to finish off.

19.5 miles at 12.1 mph average. The bike didn't feel quite as lively as yesterday (probably tired legs) but still feels better for the adjustments, particularly when climbing.

I got back just as fine spots of rain started to fall and within half an hour it was coming down quite steadily - good timing for once.:okay:

Sorry, no photos from this one.

C R

Guru
Lunchtime loop today. I taking advantage of still mostly working from home, and getting in some miles while the weather helps.

17 miles round Wadborough, Besford Bridge, Croome and Pirton in just over an hour. When I started riding, this route would have been a long Sunday ride, requiring careful planning, today I didn't even take a water bottle with me :laugh:.

buzz22

Über Member
Today 4th of May was St Florian's Day, St Florian being the patron saint of Firefighters.
We celebrate each year with an awards ceremony which this year was held at my fire station. As I finished work this morning I was able to stick around and help with the proceedings, as well as supporting mates that were commended for acts of courage.
It was an amazing day and strengthened the bonds between us even moreso.

When I got home I was inspired to reconnect with an old friend, my bike I have dubbed the "Throwback", built from a bare frame I bought a while ago.
I had limited light so took my usual route and enjoyed rediscovering how good a steel frame rides and how nicely well chosen components work together.
The groupset is all late 80's Shimano 600 Ultegra "tricolour" with Mavic Open 4 CD wheels.
An alloy fork, short quill stem and compact bars tighten up what could be a fairly flexible ride with such a tall frame (66cm seat tube).
The ride was a great way to cap off a big day- time for some dinner, bed, then back on shift tomorrow.

20220504_153821.jpg

gavgav

Guru
A lovely sunny afternoon here in Shropshire and finally some warmth has returned, so I got out for a ride after work. The shorts were back out for the first time in a few weeks. There was quite a stiff South Westerly breeze blowing though.

I set out through Meole Village and then into the breeze through Hook a Gate and Annscroft. The road was busy and there is always one moron who wants to pass within an inch of you at high speed, today being no exception.

I turned out of the breeze and on through Exfords Green, Stapleton (no call at Dad’s today as he’s up in Wales) Gonsal and Ryton. I took the winding lane past the farm and had a lady pull out of it in front of me, despite looking up and clearly seeing me. I’m only a cyclist after all and we don’t need stopping for 🙄

It was then the climb up to Berriewood and a lovely fast wind assisted descent down to Condover, before the gentle climb up the lane to Cantlop. 5 cars encountered along there, which wasn’t helpful to keeping the speed up.

The section back to King St and Betton Abbots was good, with the wind behind me and I arrived home with 16.52 miles at 13.1mph avg

a.twiddler

Veteran
5/5/22

Tempted to go shopping on the trike today but not so sure about getting everything in the box. The list was rather long. Eventually went in the car. On return I took a photo of the shopping on the garden bench with the trike in front,
P1020476.JPG

then loaded with the lid off,
P1020477.JPG

then with lid on.
P1020478.JPG

Bananas and milk went in a bag behind the seat – realistically, would need one which straps up tighter to avoid banging about. Otherwise, it could work quite well. The box is a decent size but lacks a lock. Judging by the rare photos I’ve seen of other Sinner delta trikes, this is the box that is offered as an optional extra. I do have a box top rack knocking about somewhere which could be useful for light, bulky loads on top.

Later…

After doing some jobs round the house the trike was still out
P1020475.JPG

so I decided to take it for a spin for an hour or so. I've not been able to ride it till I got the headrest sorted out which took longer than I expected and as I haven’t done much bike mileage this year it has come at the bottom of the list for riding apart from test rides. It's so different from my other bikes it's going to take some time to really evaluate it and maybe to appreciate it. This trike is pretty reclined by my standards. To me, it already feels like this!
Street Luge.jpg

The factory setting is a few degrees lower still when the neck rest becomes really essential.

It was in low ratio so I left it there expecting to come back through the sports field with its short sharp climb. It’s a bit like a vintage tractor where you have to stop and set up your gear range in advance for the expected load.

Since it now has a Garmin bracket, I reset the Garmin and clipped it on after getting my stuff together, and set off.

Unlike the two wheel recumbents, there is no melodramatic launch procedure, you just get on and go. I adjusted the mirror and worked my way up through the gears.

Left on to Swanlow Lane, with the traffic now up to pre Covid levels. A bit of stop start on the uphill traffic lights, and enjoying the novelty of stopping and starting with my feet up. A noticeable traffic free bubble formed as I went along. Is it possible that they’re even more nervous about this trike than they are of the Linear? Across the A54 roundabout, along Delamere St for a mile or so then the traffic was at a standstill. I dived into a cul de sac and came out, heading back the way I came. Left at the A54 roundabout getting up a gratifying sensation of speed on the downhill to the town centre, then left at the traffic lights. Road humps that never bothered me on a bike now had me weaving about with an eye on the mirror to avoid being shaken about. The rear suspension did its job, but after all these years on a bike it felt strange to be tilted at various angles while still going straight on.

After a few hundred yards the speed humps ended and I was able to relax a bit. Annoyingly, with my shades on I couldn’t see the reading on the Garmin as it was set at the exact angle to show an annoying reflection. I might have to relocate it to the accessory bar at the front, as on the Linear.

I was becoming aware of a sweaty back, a new sensation as my other recumbents have mesh seats. Maybe it was down to me wearing a fleece body warmer for the sake of the pockets while the afternoon was getting warm.

Approaching the sports centre now, crossing the car park, there weren’t many people about, though there was a marquee set up for some event.

I rolled across the car park then on to the path across the sports fields. As I was coming up to a T junction in the path an oldish rider on a traditional looking town bike crossed in front of me. As I turned left I saw him ahead of me, freewheeling down the slope to the sports fields. I freewheeled after him. This trike seems a bit slower than a bike on the flat but it gathers speed very well on the slightest bit of downhill.

A pair of grandparents with a small boy, a large dog and a pushchair made way for me to go past and I thanked them.

The path levelled out then I began the gradual climb to the A Frame barrier. The vintage rider ahead rode right up to the barrier and for a moment I thought he was going to wriggle through without dismounting. He stopped, pushed through then unexpectedly jumped on again and pedalled away up the lane on the other side. A good low gear then.

I changed down to bottom and had a go at the barrier. I tried to ride through several times, rolling back down the slope between each attempt but the bars just wouldn’t go through. Finally in exasperation I stood up, turned the bars sharp left and lifted the front end, waddling through while towing the rear wheels behind me. There was plenty of clearance each side of the wheels. I sat down again and pushed off and gratifyingly the gearing was easily low enough to climb the steep lane without much effort.

The lane was swarming with black flies hovering in the dappled green light under the trees but fortunately they didn’t seem much interested in my vintage blood.

Out on to an estate road, up a bit more of a hill then left on to Delamere St. The trike was rolling so well here that I stopped to put the chain on the large ring. Normally I can just turn the crank gently backwards and put a little pressure on the chain tube and it slips on to the ring. Today it had different ideas, not only climbing off the other side of the chainwheel but making the plastic chain guard pop off and dangle on the pedal too. Usually you have to have an audience to make something like this happen, but I managed it all on my own-eo today.

Once I’d got that sorted out, there followed a mile or so of easy rolling in top gear which was very gratifying. I passed a chap going in the other direction with a two wheeled trailer behind his bike. I’ve seen him about from time to time but not to talk to. He waved, I waved. There was still a lot of traffic about though, and when I got to the A54 roundabout it was horrendous. Fortunately I was able to slip into a decent gap and get across to Swanlow Lane. After another mile I could see I had my very own traffic queue building up behind so hopped onto the pavement to let them through, then ended up queueing behind them at the lights at Townfields Road as there was something going on with the traffic there.

Shortly afterwards, after I'd thought to myself I'd mercifully not had the usual attention from passers by that the Linear usually attracted I got held up outside a school by a lollipop lady. After a good gawping at by kids and parents I thought that was plenty for one day!

Eventually I got past, and after a few ups and downs got to my back gate.

Distance a mere 4.69 miles. Average speed 6.8 mph. Max Speed 25.6 mph. I hope these figures will improve on a longer trip.

Total Ascent:​
123​
ft​
Total Descent:
123​
ft​
Start Elevation:
190​
ft​
End Elevation:
190​
Min Elevation:
134​
f​
Max Elevation:
220​
ft​

buzz22

Über Member
After work this morning I thought I'd reaquaint myself with another old friend, my 1991 Europa. It's had a couple of different combinations of parts while I've had it but I've finished tinkering with it.
The Tecnotrat frame rides nicely with the 8 speed 105 groupset and the modern Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels with ceramic hubs are smooth and fast. It's a combination that won't be changing.
20220506_112031.jpg

My route took me into Sydney's Royal National Park, the 2nd oldest National Park in the world (behind Yellowstone National Park in the US).
20220506_112643.jpg

A winding steep descent from Waterfall Railway station took me into the Park, flattened out then descended again until I reached the intersection of the main road running through the Park and this peaceful scene.
A short sharp climb to get in the hill frame of mind led me to the start of Lady Carrington Drive, a gravel walking/cycling path that cuts through the Park.
A quick drink and a gel then back into it.
That steep descent I enjoyed earlier now became a climb that made me curse the parentage of the road designer but all was forgiven when the road flattened and I got to look at this view...

20220506_114033.jpg

The peace of the bush and a bright blue sky was exactly what I needed, and softened the blow of the next steep section of climb. I did better than expected up there and then jumped on the highway for home and a rest.
41km in total and feeling strong at the end is a positive step following my bout with covid, I'm looking forward to getting more distance and sharing the load between my bikes

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: With a good forecast and a free day it was time to get my challenge ride in for May. I was aiming for Lake Vyrnwy which is a favourite ride for me but one that I've missed out on for quite some time.

I got the Raleigh out early and was on the road a few minutes after seven into a calm morning that promised to warm up later. Planning to do the shorter version of the route I headed round Shrewsbury's old bypass to Montford Bridge, Great Ness and Pentre. The roads weren't busy at this time of the morning so it was all pretty easy riding. Just after Pentre I came across a road closed sign and since I didn't know whether there was access for cyclists, took a diversion past The Royal Hill then to Crosslanes and Maesbrook before joining the road to Llynclys. There was more traffic on this main road but mostly well behaved although there was a bit of a moment when an APC delivery van had to back out of an overtake sharpish because of a car coming the other way.:rolleyes:

I paused at Llynclys for a bite to eat and to remove layers as it had warmed up a lot since starting out. When I got going again I did wonder if I should have kept one of the fleeces on but I soon warmed up on the next climb and didn't think about it again. The road was a little busy initially but quietened down nicely once past the Llansantffraid junction.

The journey up the Tanat Valley was mostly pretty pleasant and I notice that there had been some resurfacing of the worst bits between Llanyblodwel and Llangedwyn. I spotted another rider ahead and wondered if I could catch them but they were quicker than me and I didn't see them again after getting caught at temporary lights at Llangedwyn.

Having turned off near Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant the proper climbing begins just after Pedair Ffordd with a sharp ascent followed by a drop into Penybontfawr. A longer but steadier climb up Cwm Hirnant (confusingly there are two Cwm Hirnants not far from each other) isn't too bad until past Hirnant itself when it ramps up quite steeply. I wasn't sure how I'd manage with this as I haven't ridden it for a long time but I wound my way up pretty well.

Having crested this climb there is a good descent to Llanwddyn..... or at least it would be good without the set of temporary traffic lights halfway down. It occurred to me that those probably wouldn't be much fun on the way back.

The final climb up to the dam was a little bit slow but it was great to be back here and looking at the wonderful view after an 18 month absence. I paused for my elevenses stop then carried on for my first lap of the lake. The wind was picking up a bit by now so progress started off a bit slow but I got into a rhythm and the cruising speeds weren't bad except on the bits where I was riding directly into the wind.

Having completed my first lap of the lake I went to get a coffee. The Old Barn wasn't open but Artisans is still there and busy - mostly with motorcyclists it seemed on this occasion. Having had my break I started out on my return lap. Again this was a slow start but I got along well once having wound up to speed. There were a few more people out enjoying the lakeside drive including a couple of horses and carriages which was nice to see. Rounding the head of the lake the wind really helped and I was getting along very nicely. I met the carriage drivers again and this time made sure of getting a photo. My lunch stop was taken back at the dam where I made the most of the view before having to start for home.

Getting back to Llanwddyn was fun on the twisty descent then the climbing starts again to get back over the hills. The return through the temporary traffic lights wasn't quite as bad as expected as the road was quiet, but they hadn't made any allowance for how long a bike would take to climb through the section. Fortunately the driver of the BMW waiting at the other end saw my predicament and patiently missed his turn allowing me to get through. I don't suppose they'll ever see this but my wave of thanks felt quite inadequate for the kindness of the act.

The climbing continued and I was pleased that the legs felt pretty good still. I took the alternative route back through Cwm Fedw and down the long descent back to Penybontfawr. I was really pleased that the legs still felt fine on the climb out of the village then with the wind behind me I had a cracking run back along the Tanat Valley. Allowing the following motorcycle and van to go through the traffic lights at Llangedwyn before me seemed to be much appreciated then the fast wind assisted run continued. The areas of the road that had been repaired were good apart from there being quite a thump on joining the new tarmac at speed.

After the Llansantffraid junction the traffic picked up again and I had a handful of close passes, then at the notorious Llynclys crossroads the driver of a Transit yelled something incomprehensible at me and was pointing at the back of the bike - I was stopping for a break in the village anyway so checked and couldn't see anything wrong - maybe he was objecting to me having my back lights on in daylight?:scratch:

Getting off the busy roads as soon as possible seemed like a good idea so I turned to go past Waen Wen then to Maesbrook and retraced my steps through Crosslanes. At about the 90 mile mark I broke open the jelly babies for an energy boost which helped past The Royal Hill, Pentre and over the climb to Great Ness. I got over the climb between Montford Bridge and Bicton pretty well considering the miles in the legs by now. When I got to Shelton I thought I'd stick with the road as it was faster but I soon found the back of a traffic queue so ended up being quicker on the cycle paths after all.

Since I was feeling surprisingly good I got tempted to chase after a couple of slower cyclists. Unfortunately this was a bit too much at the end of a long ride and my right leg cramped with a mile to go and the left leg followed just a quarter of a mile from home. Take it easier next time!

105.75 miles at 13.9 mph moving average. Total time with all the stops was 9 hours and 45 minutes. Top speed was 37.2 mph.:hyper:

20220505_100003.jpg

Taking a quick drink stop at Pedair Ffordd on the way up the Tanat Valley.

20220505_104509_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At the top of the climb between Penybontfawr and Llanwddyn.

20220505_105848.jpg

Reaching the dam.

20220505_111624_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The water extraction tower.

20220505_122524.jpg

20220505_124930_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A couple of shots as I head round the lake the second time.

20220505_130515.jpg

A nice way to travel through some lovely scenery.

20220505_131103.jpg

Last look at the lake before I have to leave.

20220505_135003.jpg

Climbing over the hills on the way back to Penybontfawr.

20220505_153608.jpg

Back to the flat lands just after Crosslanes.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Nice post about lake Vyrnwy, Phil. Just so happens I'm off to ride around that tomorrow. I'm avoiding those climbs, though, and just meeting up with some old friends for a gentle amble around the lake. I'll probably do a second lap once they have finished and we've visited the cafe. Is it better do do it anti-clockwise (for pulling over for pictures etc)? Tempted to do it once in each direction to make the most of the views.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Nice post about lake Vyrnwy, Phil. Just so happens I'm off to ride around that tomorrow. I'm avoiding those climbs, though, and just meeting up with some old friends for a gentle amble around the lake. I'll probably do a second lap once they have finished and we've visited the cafe. Is it better do do it anti-clockwise (for pulling over for pictures etc)? Tempted to do it once in each direction to make the most of the views.

It's worth riding in both directions. I don't think I've given much thought about which way round is best for photos. The road is quiet enough that you're unlikely to have issues pulling over if you spot a view you like the look of.

13 rider

Guru
Beautiful ride round the reservoir I did it last year ,Don't be fooled it's not flat I gained 10ft of elevation on my circuit :laugh:

Top Bottom