Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Have been doing a weekly weekend ride into London, leaving circa dawn to avoid the traffic. Lots of sights to see, and it's a good way to rack up the miles in practice for RideLondon (next week).

My ride last weekend was shall we say , subdued.
A 17 yr old at my children's school had died in a car accident the night before. He was driving, no other cars involved. It had been the last day of school before exams. Such a tragic loss...
Then on my Saturday morning ride I was going through Chelsea and happened across the scene of the dogwalker and her animals, who had been mown down.
And finally, in an unrelated incident 50 yards further along, a pedestrian had keeled over on a crossing. A police officer was attempting resuscitation whilst cars were driving past.
All very unsettling; these are not thoughts or images that will fade quickly.

Thankfully, this weekend has been free of any such incidents.
My route this morning took my past Sandown Park into Bushy Park, Richmond Park, Hyde Park and Battersea Park. I also did some of the RideLondon route east from near Parliament Square. Not sure exactly where the route goes, but I headed east past Tower Bridge on Cable Street and kept going until I hit the east side of the Isle of Dogs.

Had racked up enough miles by now, so turned and made my way back, hugging the Thames until I reached Vauxhall, then crossing over and wiggling through residential streets to Clapham. And home along the A24.

I had stopped at the north end of Chiswick bridge to see the TaskMaster house, but the gate was so high and well screened I couldn't see anything. There was a slight consolation prize on the road that hugs the banks - I came across a dilapidated bandstand that I recognised as a filming location from Series 2.
1653237591486.png

Battersea park was lovely, cool and leafy; plus it has the peace pagoda.
1653237679984.png

73 miles done.

Will be back on that RideLondon route next Sunday at 6:55am - slightly later than usual! :tongue:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
5DE99527-EF65-4708-9E85-D3BD83B9AAB0.jpeg

71AF7A29-A7C5-4175-A46F-0E88384051EB.jpeg

DA80FCFB-6CA8-486F-BE34-E9D5130ED713.jpeg

7247811F-415E-44BA-A30D-39BBB453A749.jpeg

F1A65432-2260-4824-BEDA-995CCDD192A0.jpeg

0F1F5EAD-A81A-4577-B474-CB813E133C8C.jpeg

DA80FCFB-6CA8-486F-BE34-E9D5130ED713.jpeg

18.5 miles this morning. I had to take something to my soo to be mother in law, so I went through Holbeton.
On through the Flete Estate where they were using 3 bulls on a single herd…
Part way up the ridge road and home.

AndreaJ

Veteran
The usual early start for our Sunday group ride with an extra person this week, one of the group has a Ukrainian family staying with him and the husband/dad wanted to join us today.
We met at the usual place by the Mere and headed off to Overton along the newly resurfaced road, through the village and towards Plassey before heading across to Holt. Back onto quieter roads at Barton then onto Stretton, Tilston and up a long drag into Malpas. Turned off to Higher Wych with more climbing including a short stretch which Strava claims was 19.7%, past Iscoyd Park to Bronnington and through Welshampton back to Ellesmere for coffee before heading back home.52 miles through Shropshire, North Wales and Cheshire. Lots of cycling clubs out in Cheshire.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Playing catch-up again, I have a couple of rides to report.

Wednesday (18th) It was another breezy day in what has been quite a breezy month. I wanted to get out on the Raleigh and my usual flatter routes didn't appeal in the wind so I thought I'd head towards Pontesbury, Habberley then take the undulating route through Pulverbatch, Wilderley and Dudgeley.

I headed over Lyth Hill to start, with a brisk headwind which was an effort to ride into. After dropping down through Little Lyth and a short section on the A49 at Hunger Hill it was easier going on the way through Exford's Green and I got some good cruising speeds on the way to the crossroads near Annscroft. After reaching Pontesbury I had to turn back into the wind again on the climb to Habberley. Being repeatedly overtaken by a DPD van as the driver made his deliveries along the road took my mind off the wind for a bit.

After Habberley there are a couple of steep climbs on the way to Pulverbatch but they are easier to handle on this bike. On this stretch I came round a corner to find a buzzard sitting in the road. I wanted to take a photo but it it took off carrying the rabbit it had just caught.

Through Wilderley there were much better views than last time I rode this way and I enjoyed a pretty empty road as I carried on to Smethcott. I did have to stop a little abruptly on meeting a car on a blind bend but that was the last one I saw until after Dudgeley.

Once across the A49 I picked up the tailwind and it was a particularly good one which swept me along the old Roman road towards Longnor. As I was enjoying myself I thought I'd extend the ride a bit and head through Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop. This was a great stretch with cruising speeds in the 20s for much of it. I particularly liked sweeping through Pitchford at about 25 on the new smooth surface.:hyper:

The tailwind resumed at Condover and gave a great run back to the main road where someone squeezing past me despite oncoming traffic (happens a lot as the road is reasonably wide here) got a flashing of lights and a furious hooting from the other driver.

32.2 miles this time at 13.9 mph average. A great ride that left me buzzing with energy afterwards.

20220518_122833.jpg

At the crossroads near Annscroft the flag shows it's a bit windy.

20220518_125333.jpg

The Mytton Arms in Habberley.

20220518_125559_Richtone(HDR).jpg

En route from Habberley to Pulverbatch, this litte valley was full of the scent of wild garlic.

20220518_130941.jpg

Pulverbatch.

20220518_131914_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Another little valley after Wilderley.

20220518_132634.jpg

Yup, still windy.

20220518_132801.jpg

Almost like riding through a garden on the way to Smethcott.

20220518_134425.jpg

View to Caer Caradoc from near Dudgeley.

20220518_140951.jpg

Acton Burnell.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday: I had hoped to get a few rides in during the week but that didn't work out so I jumped at the chance on Sunday. The Raleigh came out again and the hills were calling to me so I aimed to ride up to the Stiperstones then onto the Long Mynd.

I headed through Condover where another rider overtook me on the way to Hunger Hill. From there I was on the same roads as last time as far as Pontesbury but this time carried on through the centre of the village and headed for Minsterley (a rider coming the other way muttered something about "no fluorescents" :unsure:) then along the road to Ploxgreen. I had been a little undecided about which side of the valley to climb up this time and finding the road to Snailbeach closed it helped with the decision to take Drury Lane head up the hill to Ladyoak, Hopesgate and Bentlawnt. With a lot of climbing to be done on this ride I took it steady in a lowish gear and enjoyed the scenery.

Cresting the top of this climb there is a nice bit of descent before the next lot of climbing to Shelve then to The Bog. A group of cyclists was stopping at the visitor centre and I was briefly tempted to pause for a coffee too but thought better of it this time and carried on with the climb.

At the summit of the road round the Stiperstones there is a junction - I've never taken the right fork and on a whim decided to do that this time. It's quite a pleasant lane passing a couple of farms, at the second of which I had a hold up as a small herd of cattle was being driven down the road (one going very reluctantly). It was interesting to come this way but it doesn't have the great views of my usual road to Bridges so I'll probably carry on using that one.

Before the ride I'd toyed with the idea of climbing Asterton Bank but wasn't sure if I had the fitness as it's a long time since I last rode up there and I haven't been getting in the miles as frequently as I was when I last did it. The legs however were feeling pretty good after the climbing so far, so I thought I'd go for it and headed towards Wentnor then to the Prolley Moor.

Approaching Asterton, the slope of the Long Mynd appears impossibly steep and you can see the road running diagonally along it. I started to wonder if I was doing the right thing.:ohmy: A pause at the foot of the climb gave the chance to have a good drink and stow the fleece I'd put on for the descent from the Stiperstones. As I set off a passing walker simply said "Enjoy!"

A run at the cattle grid left me a gear too high as I headed into the left hand bend - fortunately I was able to shift down without any trouble, then it was a case of just keeping the pedals turning. The initial slope had me struggling to keep the front wheel on the ground whenever I was sat down but as I went up I got into a rhythm and was able to keep just plodding away. Unusually the only other vehicle on the road this time was a motorcycle so I didn't have to stop and was really chuffed to make the whole climb in one go.:dance:

That particular climb was done but there is still another 314 feet to ascend over roughly a mile and a half before I get to the top of the Long Mynd so I was pleased to find that the legs could still cope as long as I didn't go too fast. Being a Sunday there were plenty of people up on the hill. I started passing groups of youngsters with large matching backpacks as I crossed the plateau and I presume that this is for the Duke of Edinburgh award or something similar.

Having been to the summit I dropped over the other side to Shooting Box then joined the tarmac towards Boiling Well and the Burway. A group of riders coming the other way had event numbers on and I believe they were doing the 100 mile route on the Round The Wrekin sportive.

The Burway was quite busy, as it generally is at the weekend, so progress down the hill was a bit stop-start. A shower had rolled in making me a bit wary of the road being greasy - I contemplated putting on my waterproof but it didn't come down that heavy and thankfully didn't last long. A rider coming up the hill quickly without any apparent effort gave me a sheepish look as we passed - I'm not judging you, if an electric bike gets you out cycling that's great:laugh:

Nearing the cattle grid I caught up with a couple of cars going pretty slow. The leading one was French registered and, being a left hand drive, the driver would have had a great view down the drop off at the edge of the road so I suppose it's understandable.

Back down in the valley I was turning to head home and once again would have a good tailwind on the way back. I seemed to be catching a rider ahead to start with but then he put on a bit more pace and disappeared into the distance as we headed through All Stretton.

I headed back the usual way through Hollyhurst and the old Roman road. At Longnor the road was quite wet so I think I was lucky it hadn't rained too much earlier on. The good pace lasted through Condover and up to the A49 where everyone was better behaved this time.

44.1 miles at 11.8 mph average. That was a great ride and I'm so chuffed to find I can still manage the steep stuff.:wahhey:

20220522_103410.jpg

The Stables Inn at Hopesgate.

20220522_104705.jpg

View from the top of the climb at Bentlawnt.

20220522_105946.jpg

Shelve.

20220522_111222.jpg

Looking down on the visitor centre at The Bog.

20220522_114635_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Wentnor.

20220522_115829.jpg

Getting ready to tackle Asterton Bank.

20220522_121347.jpg

Made it to the top. :dance:

20220522_123119_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Looking towards the Stiperstones from Pole Bank (the summit of the Long Mynd).

20220522_124522.jpg

Heading down the Burway.

20220522_125052.jpg

At the foot of the Burway in Church Stretton.

gavgav

Guru
Yesterday: I had hoped to get a few rides in during the week but that didn't work out so I jumped at the chance on Sunday. The Raleigh came out again and the hills were calling to me so I aimed to ride up to the Stiperstones then onto the Long Mynd.

I headed through Condover where another rider overtook me on the way to Hunger Hill. From there I was on the same roads as last time as far as Pontesbury but this time carried on through the centre of the village and headed for Minsterley (a rider coming the other way muttered something about "no fluorescents" :unsure:) then along the road to Ploxgreen. I had been a little undecided about which side of the valley to climb up this time and finding the road to Snailbeach closed it helped with the decision to take Drury Lane head up the hill to Ladyoak, Hopesgate and Bentlawnt. With a lot of climbing to be done on this ride I took it steady in a lowish gear and enjoyed the scenery.

Cresting the top of this climb there is a nice bit of descent before the next lot of climbing to Shelve then to The Bog. A group of cyclists was stopping at the visitor centre and I was briefly tempted to pause for a coffee too but thought better of it this time and carried on with the climb.

At the summit of the road round the Stiperstones there is a junction - I've never taken the right fork and on a whim decided to do that this time. It's quite a pleasant lane passing a couple of farms, at the second of which I had a hold up as a small herd of cattle was being driven down the road (one going very reluctantly). It was interesting to come this way but it doesn't have the great views of my usual road to Bridges so I'll probably carry on using that one.

Before the ride I'd toyed with the idea of climbing Asterton Bank but wasn't sure if I had the fitness as it's a long time since I last rode up there and I haven't been getting in the miles as frequently as I was when I last did it. The legs however were feeling pretty good after the climbing so far, so I thought I'd go for it and headed towards Wentnor then to the Prolley Moor.

Approaching Asterton, the slope of the Long Mynd appears impossibly steep and you can see the road running diagonally along it. I started to wonder if I was doing the right thing.:ohmy: A pause at the foot of the climb gave the chance to have a good drink and stow the fleece I'd put on for the descent from the Stiperstones. As I set off a passing walker simply said "Enjoy!"

A run at the cattle grid left me a gear too high as I headed into the left hand bend - fortunately I was able to shift down without any trouble, then it was a case of just keeping the pedals turning. The initial slope had me struggling to keep the front wheel on the ground whenever I was sat down but as I went up I got into a rhythm and was able to keep just plodding away. Unusually the only other vehicle on the road this time was a motorcycle so I didn't have to stop and was really chuffed to make the whole climb in one go.:dance:

That particular climb was done but there is still another 314 feet to ascend over roughly a mile and a half before I get to the top of the Long Mynd so I was pleased to find that the legs could still cope as long as I didn't go too fast. Being a Sunday there were plenty of people up on the hill. I started passing groups of youngsters with large matching backpacks as I crossed the plateau and I presume that this is for the Duke of Edinburgh award or something similar.

Having been to the summit I dropped over the other side to Shooting Box then joined the tarmac towards Boiling Well and the Burway. A group of riders coming the other way had event numbers on and I believe they were doing the 100 mile route on the Round The Wrekin sportive.

The Burway was quite busy, as it generally is at the weekend, so progress down the hill was a bit stop-start. A shower had rolled in making me a bit wary of the road being greasy - I contemplated putting on my waterproof but it didn't come down that heavy and thankfully didn't last long. A rider coming up the hill quickly without any apparent effort gave me a sheepish look as we passed - I'm not judging you, if an electric bike gets you out cycling that's great:laugh:

Nearing the cattle grid I caught up with a couple of cars going pretty slow. The leading one was French registered and, being a left hand drive, the driver would have had a great view down the drop off at the edge of the road so I suppose it's understandable.

Back down in the valley I was turning to head home and once again would have a good tailwind on the way back. I seemed to be catching a rider ahead to start with but then he put on a bit more pace and disappeared into the distance as we headed through All Stretton.

I headed back the usual way through Hollyhurst and the old Roman road. At Longnor the road was quite wet so I think I was lucky it hadn't rained too much earlier on. The good pace lasted through Condover and up to the A49 where everyone was better behaved this time.

44.1 miles at 11.8 mph average. That was a great ride and I'm so chuffed to find I can still manage the steep stuff.:wahhey:

View attachment 645934
The Stables Inn at Hopesgate.

View attachment 645935
View from the top of the climb at Bentlawnt.

View attachment 645936
Shelve.

View attachment 645937
Looking down on the visitor centre at The Bog.

View attachment 645938
Wentnor.

View attachment 645939
Getting ready to tackle Asterton Bank.

View attachment 645940
Made it to the top. :dance:

View attachment 645941
Looking towards the Stiperstones from Pole Bank (the summit of the Long Mynd).

View attachment 645942
Heading down the Burway.

View attachment 645943
At the foot of the Burway in Church Stretton.

👏We were playing cricket in Church Stretton, yesterday afternoon and got caught in a downpour on the way there, so you did well to avoid it!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Tired legs from last night so a nice steady 6.7 mile morning commute with an average of 16 mph.
It was supposed to rain in the afternoon so I hadn’t planned on an extended ride home, how the forecast was wrong, it was windy but lovely.
Home via Naburn, Cawood, Wistow, Little Fenton, Barkston Ash & Saxton, 35.23 miles with an average of 16.5 mph, great ride.
A3B83B01-A1E6-4ACD-A7BE-7C1897515BDE.jpeg

400B4C9E-B963-4C05-B95B-D893E51DD26E.jpeg

2C5D5DD3-DCA1-46A8-B07F-55FAAC9B5A51.jpeg

C8A261B9-81C4-4161-939F-3360E0C1744C.jpeg

AB9A3DA8-7227-4098-98C6-0F168D71A015.jpeg

90565FE8-CFBC-4B8C-8E2F-61CE45AF6827.jpeg

F77A20D3-79F0-4DE4-8B9D-1209030DDC47.jpeg

Top Bottom